[PPOTW] Portal Poll of the Week - Who will sell the most hardware next gen?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by T-hug, Jun 18, 2013.

?

Who will sell the most hardware next gen?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2013.
  1. Microsoft

17 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Nintendo

237 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Sony

347 vote(s)
    56.3%
  4. Other (please specify)

15 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    Bit late with this weeks poll sorry about that!
    The question is simple, let us know your answers!

If you have an idea for a poll you would like us to see on the portal, just send me a PM with PPOTW in the title, along with the question and answers.

2. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    I'm going to say Sony because they wound the most cohesive in what they want the PS4 to be and they want to achieve it. They've clearly listened to the criticism they received regarding the PS3 and that's been evident in how they've managed the PS4. They want it easy for third parties, they want to make it 'open' to attract a wide array of content, they've improved the controller, they've got nearly all of their studios on next gen content, the price is good. The Playstation leadership just sound really cohesive which makes me feel they know what they're doing.

For that I reckon in this insanely early stage they'll sell the most hardware.

VMM and Attila13 like this.
  3. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    Nintendo cos they have Mario and Link!

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  4. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Ouya.

Okay, okay, laughing time is over. Nintendo has horribly squandered their lead at this point, and from all the goodwill Sony's garnered (and the absolute pounding Microsoft is taking), I'd guess that the PS4 will come out on top this generation.

Of course, anything can change, so we'll have to see how it all plays out.

Attila13, GameWinner and Rydian like this.
  5. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Sony has my vote. I mean Nintendo could pull it together but we'll see after this year is over.

6. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Nice idea, let's see how long the 'temp will keep this up :) I think Sony will win, I really liked Microsoft the past generation, but it's not looking good for them at all. I wonder if this generation will kill the Xbox as we know it?

7. weavile001

weavile001 Spiritmaster

Jun 10, 2012
    Brazil
    somewhere
    Nintendo And Sony.
    because They Are badasses.

Microsoft Didn´t Attracted me so much.......

8. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Honestly, I can't decide between WiiU or PS4.

Nintendo has only sold a couple million units so far, but if there's anything to go by, if they smarten up they can gain a whole lot of speed, like the PS3 did late in it's life.

However, right now, PS4 seems to be getting a good amount of build up and might come bursting out of the gates. But they could get dumb. I'm gonna say WiiU just because I can't choose both and I believe the console will boom.

9. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    I would say Sony, but I have a feeling Nintendo has some trick they'll pull out of their ass and boost sales. MS = lol no.

10. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    Sony is more like it in the near future ...but in the long run, I guess Nintendo has a high chance of getting more traction actually ...more affordable, bigger age range, and probably will have more games in the future (and more dev's support when the sells start to get better).. ..so yeah, voting Nintendo for the long run.

11. Heavenlydeath

Heavenlydeath Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2011
    United States
    just outside the 13th hierarchical city of kagutsu
    I voted other for the ouya because xbone is gonna flop and it will play what gamers love... angry birds :tpi:

12. ediskywalker

ediskywalker Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2007
    Brazil
    Curitiba-PR
    I say nintendo will sell more, because they don't have those annoying "security measures" of the other companies, i'd hate to be on-line to play, also i like to have control over what system I play my games, not "if you play on another console, you'll have to pay a fee" i hope microsoft blow up and set an example to the other companies. if not, i hope all the game industry die, because i'm getting tired of this shit.

13. GameWinner

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    WHOA WHOA WHOA! What...? Stay away from video games if you're tired of it.

Maxternal likes this.
  14. ediskywalker

ediskywalker Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2007
    Brazil
    Curitiba-PR
    don't get me wrong, i like video games the way it is, put the game and play, i play video games since atari (off course I had my atari when genesis and snes lead the market), and the next generation seems to be the worse for traditional games (maybe you are some punkass that have good internet connection and don't give a damm about collecting games, that's not my case, I want to play my games on the console I want, it could be my console or a friend console, I don't want to have my game registered with a single console and don't want to depend on internet to play, even Steam that is an online game shop does not require internet to play most of games, the internet in Brazil is a shit and even if it was not, I don't want to depend on it to play.

15. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    I'm gonna have to go with Sony.

Following past trends that Nintendo systems have followed ever since real, non-Sega competition came into play, the Wii was certainly an anomaly. Nintendo won't see that kind of success again, at least not with the Wii U, with how their systems generally sell. The only way the Wii U will pick up is if they cut the price because at $350, the Wii U will be completely slaughtered by the competition. As it stands, in a few years time, developers may be hard pressed to do better than lazy ports to the Wii U, if they're worth it at all, when considering the gap in hardware between the PS4, One, and then the Wii U. When you consider that supposedly the PS4 is so much more powerful than the One that differences will be noticeable out of the gate, that doesn't exactly bode well for the Wii U, being weaker than both. With that said, I don't feel the first party will continue to provide any sort of pull that will move more than maybe 30 million to 40 million systems on the outside throughout the life of the Wii U, and that's only if the third parties don't entirely abandon it. The PS4 has established itself as new, different, appealing, easy to access, minimal online fees (as nice as free is, if $5 a month gets better service + free stuff, sign me up), powerful, and the best choice for a developer looking to really do something amazing with the tools at their disposal.

I feel that Sony will get the third parties, the majority of the third party exclusives, and will ultimately sell far better than the competition. I think the PS4 will place itself among the PS1 and PS2 and break the 100 million sales mark, placing Sony back on the throne where really, it belongs.

16. GameWinner

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Don't buy the Xbox One. Wii U or PS4 don't require internet nor are games tied to an account.

17. ediskywalker

ediskywalker Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2007
    Brazil
    Curitiba-PR
    That' why I said " i hope microsoft blow up and set an example to the other companies. if not, i hope all the game industry die, because i'm getting tired of this shit." :)

18. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    Nintendo cuz this is GBAtemp ;)

naved.islam14 likes this.
  19. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    I think that what you meant was something like: "Microsoft online and DRM policies stinks, and for that it should be hit hard ...other companies should then use it as a example and not follow Microsoft steps, otherwise, the game industry would be dead to me."

right?

and yeah, you sentence was really misleading... choose better words next time..

20. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Aug 19, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    If you have money, or at least an i7 with 16gb and, lets say, a GeForce 660 GTX or something above it, you dont need nothing from this generation.

As I have only a Core 2 Duo, 2gb with an 8400 series, and few bucks, I would go with PS4, and I'll miss forza 5 forever.