[Release] Checkpoint, a fast and simple save manager for 3DS and Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - ROM Hacking, Saves, Translations & Tools' started by EventAssistant, May 14, 2018.

1. EventAssistant
    OP

EventAssistant GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 20, 2016
    Italy
    Checkpoint
    A fast and simple homebrew save manager for 3DS and Switch written in C++.

Why use Checkpoint?
    Checkpoint is created following ideas of simplicity and efficiency. The UI has been designed to condense as many options as possible, while keeping it simple to work with.

Moreover, Checkpoint is extremely lightweight - while being packaged with a nice graphic user interface - and is built using the most recent libraries available.

Checkpoint for 3DS natively supports 3DS and DS cartridges, digital standard titles and demo titles. It also automatically checks and filters homebrew titles which may not have a save archive to backup or restore, which is done without an external title list and filters. For this reason, Checkpoint doesn't need constant user maintenance to retain full functionality.

Checkpoint for Switch natively supports NAND saves for the titles you have played. Title informations are loaded automatically.

Working path
    Checkpoint relies on the following folders to store the files it generates. Note that all the working directories are automatically generated on first launch (or when Checkpoint finds a new title that doesn't have a working directory yet).

3DS
    • sdmc:/3ds/Checkpoint: root path
    • sdmc:/3ds/Checkpoint/saves/<unique id> <game title>: root path for all the save backups for a generic game
    • sdmc:/3ds/Checkpoint/extdata/<unique id> <game title>: root path for all the extdata backups for a generic game
    Switch
    • sdmc:/switch/Checkpoint: root path
    • sdmc:/switch/Checkpoint/saves/<title id> <game title>: root path for all the save backups for a generic game
    Usage
    You can use Checkpoint for 3DS with both cfw and Rosalina-based Homebrew Launchers. *hax-based Homebrew Launchers are not supported by Checkpoint.

Checkpoint for Switch only runs on homebrew launcher. You're required to reboot your console after restoring a save through Checkpoint for Switch.

The first launch will take considerably longer than usual (usually 1-2 minutes depending on how many titles you have installed), due to the working directories being created - Checkpoint will be significatively faster upon launch from then on.

You can scroll between the title list with the DPAD/LR and target a title with A when the selector is on it. Now, you can use the DPAD or the touchscreen to select a target backup to restore/overwrite.

Troubleshooting
    Checkpoint displays error codes when something weird happens or operations fail. If you have any issues, please ensure they haven't already been addressed, and report the error code and a summary of your operations to reproduce it.

Additionally, you can receive real-time support by joining PKSM's discord server.

[​IMG]

Building
    Checkpoint for 3DS relies on latest libctru, latest citro3d and latest citro2d.

Checkpoint for Switch relies on latest libnx.

License
    This project is licensed under the GNU GPLv3. Additional Terms 7.b and 7.c of GPLv3 apply to this. See LICENSE.md for details.

Credits
    Even though this is the result of independent research and work, Checkpoint for 3DS couldn't be possible without J-D-K's JKSM, which is an incredible piece of software that you should all be using. Best regards JK, hope you're fine.

TuxSH for TWLSaveTool, from which SPI code has been taken.

All the maintainers for nx-hbmenu, for all the Switch rendering functions.

Yellows8 and all the mantainers for switch-examples.

Hikari-chin and all the other testers for their help with testing.

If you like my work, support me on Patreon!

2. NANASHI89

NANASHI89 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 3, 2012
    United States
  3. EventAssistant
    OP

Jul 20, 2016
    Italy
    hippy dave likes this.
  4. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    Nice! People were waiting for a stable release. Thanks m8!

5. Sonicbrawler

Sonicbrawler GBAtemp Regular

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    Works perfect! <3

6. CrossGamerHDX

CrossGamerHDX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2017
    United States
    saw that from discord.
    thanks for this. even though i used the unstable version for zelda lol

7. dgr1592

dgr1592 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2018
    Peru
    Great!!, thank you.

8. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Hope's Peak Academy
    I'm probably being stupid but does this work with cartridges? Or are the saves from carts stored on the system?

9. dgr1592

dgr1592 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2018
    Peru
    All the saves are stored in the system memory.

King_Knoedel likes this.
  10. XGamer30

XGamer30 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2015
    France
    I have a problem, when I backup my save I have an error message and I must restart the console. I'm on 5.0.2 it's normal or not ?

11. wiiarctus

wiiarctus GBAtemp Regular

Aug 29, 2016
    Germany
    POGGERS

12. BtEtta

BtEtta GBAtemp Regular

Apr 9, 2016
    No trouble restoring the BotW save that the previous release failed on. (3.0.0)
    Thanks.

13. WadsRUs

WadsRUs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2009
    United States
    I'm surprised that Checkpoint isn't generating more chat, particularly as it now works on 5.0.2

14. AnalogMan

AnalogMan ultraSuMoFramework Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    I want to use this to back up my saves soooo bad, but with Shiny Quagsire's Switch's getting banned, I'm weary of running Homebrew Launcher just yet. But if something happens to my Switch before I can back them up, I'll be devastated.

Slim45 likes this.
  15. camilord

camilord Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 1, 2018
    Colombia
    So, using this software can get your console banned? I only need to change the user of a zbotw savegame, is safe to use this tool or the one called yallarenuts?​

16. Tonydaexpert

Tonydaexpert GBAtemp Regular

Jul 5, 2016
    United States
    Shiny did not use Homebrew in the system which he was banned for, so you should be scared of running stock OS instead. (oh and don't use CDN)

17. AnalogMan

AnalogMan ultraSuMoFramework Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    I misunderstood the tweet where he said he had run Rohan, Pegaswitch and HBL on his banned unit then: https://twitter.com/ShinyQuagsire/status/997979612217917440

18. EventAssistant
    OP

Jul 20, 2016
    Italy
    Checkpoint 3.2.0 released! Check the repository on github for changelog and downloads :)

19. KuroTheBang

KuroTheBang Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2014
    Gambia, The
    It seems like it doesnt seem to find any Backups of my games. Is it because of exFAT?

20. Leeham1337

Leeham1337 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2018
    United States
    How do I download and use it? I wanna modify my mk8d data