From the creators of Jazz3D (Kind of)

LeoTCK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
This is a video I created but was uploaded on thebaratusii's channel a while ago. Since you guys are familiar with Jazz3d due to Luke94 being obsessed with it.

You might get to know now that there was an earlier 3D game on the Unreal engine that got cancelled (along with many other projects during budgetary cuts at GTI Interactive, the only early project under their publishing deal that survived was Wheel of Time) created by the same team as behind Jazz3D except with some different artists(most notably the main guy, Daniel Cook, a real talented artist with a vision) and without Dean Dodrill who was the guy who took over Jazz stuff from Epic at the time. The team was back then known as Eclipse Productions and not World Tree Games.

I managed to recover at one point most assets from this game though any full betas were lost and there are just a couple of "test" versions that can be assembled from existing files.

The terrain tests I imported myself, but there are supposed to be buildings placed etc which requires more work. There was a lot more done than is seen here, just nearly all raw assets were recovered but not the entire game itself.

Besides this was under a beta Unreal engine from 1997. The game was in developement since 1995 and originally didn't use the Unreal Engine at all. Some known people like Ty Halderman of the doom fame, also worked on the game in 1996 and a map (level in other words) was recovered that was his, however it can't be run on any of the recovered game versions so its useless unless unreal engine from early 1996 ever gets out again....
He might have had it but he died in 2015 before I could ask him or knew about his involvement..

When I showed this to Luke94, he said this
"He’s looking like Skinwalker/The Rake like that Creepypasta."
I dunno what that even is.

But yea in this state it is way less playable than Jazz3D lmao.

Last edited by LeoTCK,

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is a video I created but was uploaded on thebaratusii's channel a while ago. Since you guys are familiar with Jazz3d due to Luke94 being obsessed with it.

You might get to know now that there was an earlier 3D game on the Unreal engine that got cancelled (along with many other projects during budgetary cuts at GTI Interactive, the only early project under their publishing deal that survived was Wheel of Time) created by the same team as behind Jazz3D except with some different artists(most notably the main guy, Daniel Cook, a real talented artist with a vision) and without Dean Dodrill who was the guy who took over Jazz stuff from Epic at the time. The team was back then known as Eclipse Productions and not World Tree Games.

I managed to recover at one point most assets from this game though any full betas were lost and there are just a couple of "test" versions that can be assembled from existing files.

The terrain tests I imported myself, but there are supposed to be buildings placed etc which requires more work. There was a lot more done than is seen here, just nearly all raw assets were recovered but not the entire game itself.

Besides this was under a beta Unreal engine from 1997. The game was in developement since 1995 and originally didn't use the Unreal Engine at all. Some known people like Ty Halderman of the doom fame, also worked on the game in 1996 and a map (level in other words) was recovered that was his, however it can't be run on any of the recovered game versions so its useless unless unreal engine from early 1996 ever gets out again....
He might have had it but he died in 2015 before I could ask him or knew about his involvement..

It reminds me of The Rake/Skinwalker(I guess they are very similar to the Shadow People)creepypasta.

Reactions: Error-1-2435-8325

LeoTCK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
It reminds me of The Rake/Skinwalker(I guess they are very similar to the Shadow People)creepypasta.
Look that was actually the default texture he wasn't supposed to look like that, just the actual texture/skin meant for it wasn't there.
I later used this model for the Dranoel hologram in unreal psx rework E1P2 and made a new texture, I might have even changed the uv mapping on the model because it wasn't much usable.
Post automatically merged:

Was it powered by Unreal Engine 1(early build)? Or not?
In an earlier version than this one, yes, that's where it started to switch to the Unreal engine(we don't have the maps for that era though), but the game existed before that as a 2d game that ran on MS Dos even or windows 3 (and later after cancellation they wanted to rework it but it didn't go much anywhere). But the video is from the 1997 May engine. There was also the map from Ty Halderman that was from early 1996, and we don't have any recovered Unreal build currently from that era. Even a "codedrop" would be able to run it, as it stands now its like the only map that can't be fully reconstructed. We have a couple of maps for the late 1996 version, which does run thanks to the 0.83 build recovered by the Emissary team. And then this version that had to be assembled from files including circle.ucx etc, which was actually placed within the jazz3d224 directories for some unknown reason. But most of the material existed outside of those builds, t3ds of various maps and brushes and what not. That promotional "bighouse" thing is from it too and its found within the prefabs for the project. This was often grouped in promotional material for Unreal to see that anyone could build a realistic looking house in the engine. But it was actually intended for the game Circle, you can see it uses the Circle textures here.

bighousw.jpg

https://discmaster.textfiles.com/browse/18871/Unreal - Images (Europe) (Art Assets).bin/ss
https://discmaster.textfiles.com/vi...ges (Europe) (Art Assets).bin/ss/bighou~1.jpg
https://discmaster.textfiles.com/vi...ges (Europe) (Art Assets).bin/ss/bighouse.gif
https://discmaster.textfiles.com/vi...ges (Europe) (Art Assets).bin/ss/bighousw.jpg

Anyways this was originally supposed to be a top-down RPG game. It has a lot of documents and even html material, the backstory and game world was very rich and well planned out so its a shame it died out/got cancelled.

Last edited by LeoTCK,

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How unfortunate that Old Unreal Forum removed search bar. What moderators administrators thinking right there to put too much effort in searching thread or what? Such people are too dumb cyber jerks morons. Probably the same things goes for instance to both Paranormalis Forum and Time Travel Institute Forum,some certain subreddits related to time traveling subjects time machines stuff even nowadays…etc. Why do I need to put more effort in finding something? It’s so stupid and makes things to be less appreciated than more appreciated. I guess that when I’m feeling very angry I don’t know I have no idea about what I am talking about. I guess so. Probably yes.

LeoTCK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
How unfortunate that Old Unreal Forum removed search bar. What moderators administrators thinking right there to put too much effort in searching thread or what? Such people are too dumb cyber jerks morons. Probably the same things goes for instance to both Paranormalis Forum and Time Travel Institute Forum,some certain subreddits related to time traveling subjects time machines stuff even nowadays…etc. Why do I need to put more effort in finding something? It’s so stupid and makes things to be less appreciated than more appreciated. I guess that when I’m feeling very angry I don’t know I have no idea about what I am talking about. I guess so. Probably yes.
Actually for a change you're making perfect sense here. I noticed it myself. I suppose to combat spambots or something. It is stupid.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Actually for a change you're making perfect sense here. I noticed it myself. I suppose to combat spambots or something. It is stupid.
It happens even in for instance nowadays in case of Sonic Retro Forum when you are banned both temporarily or even permanently you cannot use search bar.

LeoTCK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Well in this case I noticed when I'm not logged in the bar is missing. I am not banned there.

I'll have to see if the search is there when I'm logged in or not even that.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well in this case I noticed when I'm not logged in the bar is missing. I am not banned there.

I'll have to see if the search is there when I'm logged in or not even that.
Where exactly in Sonic Retro Forum? Or somewhere else?
Post automatically merged:

Where exactly in Sonic Retro Forum? Or somewhere else?
I guess in that just only Old Unreal Forum.

Last edited by Luke94,
  • Angry
Reactions: LeoTCK

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

But honestly speaking that character reminds me of Unreal Engine 4 Mannequin both being completely textureless.

LeoTCK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
But honestly speaking that character reminds me of Unreal Engine 4 Mannequin both being completely textureless.
Yes. But in the later case its a template while this character was unfinished at the time, though lots of concept arts exist for this game. The creature Mantaur kind of served inspiration for "skaarj eel/toad" aka Slith. Even though it was created first for Circle and was a little different, they were supposed to hold clubs/maces too.

https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=427091&hilit=mantaur#p427091
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=466171&hilit=mantaur#p466171

https://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4006
https://www.unrealsp.org/forums/vie...&p=75049&hilit=mantaur+slith+protorype#p75049

the download for the model itself converted to obj
https://www.newbiesplayground.net/download/mods/Leo_TCK/historic/Circle/Mantaur_compat.obj.gz
https://www.newbiesplayground.net/download/mods/Leo_TCK/historic/Circle/Mantaur.obj.gz

picture of the model
gcjkihijgelemjpp.jpg

I don't have the concept arts readily avaiable, they were kind of more impressive than this but still.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes. But in the later case its a template while this character was unfinished at the time, though lots of concept arts exist for this game. The creature Mantaur kind of served inspiration for "skaarj eel/toad" aka Slith. Even though it was created first for Circle and was a little different, they were supposed to hold clubs/maces too.

https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=427091&hilit=mantaur#p427091
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=466171&hilit=mantaur#p466171

https://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4006
https://www.unrealsp.org/forums/vie...&p=75049&hilit=mantaur+slith+protorype#p75049

the download for the model itself converted to obj
https://www.newbiesplayground.net/download/mods/Leo_TCK/historic/Circle/Mantaur_compat.obj.gz
https://www.newbiesplayground.net/download/mods/Leo_TCK/historic/Circle/Mantaur.obj.gz

picture of the model
gcjkihijgelemjpp.jpg

I don't have the concept arts readily avaiable, they were kind of more impressive than this but still.
Like in Unreal 1?

Those 3D clouds reminds me Frolick Land and Jazz Belmont from Jazz Jackrabbit 2.

LeoTCK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Yes like in Unreal "1" you dope. The Circle Mantaur (originally concepted by Daniel Cook but the model was made by Andrew Paquette), served as inspiration/basis for the Slith creature in Unreal.

Those locations are from the secret files expansion, but those skies were more common in the beta versions of jazz2 too, also that sky is basically the default for the unreal beta it was based on, they didn't yet change it to a different texture/effect for circle. So that was the default state of things for unreal 0.864v and similar versions.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes like in Unreal "1" you dope. The Circle Mantaur (originally concepted by Daniel Cook but the model was made by Andrew Paquette), served as inspiration/basis for the Slith creature in Unreal.

Those locations are from the secret files expansion, but those skies were more common in the beta versions of jazz2 too, also that sky is basically the default for the unreal beta it was based on, they didn't yet change it to a different texture/effect for circle. So that was the default state of things for unreal 0.864v and similar versions.
Including Jazz Jackrabbit 2 The Secret Files Streetwize.

Reactions: LeoTCK

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hey LeoTCK maybe you should at least consider it to show it up even in at least both Old Unreal Forum and UT99.org maybe even including Unreal Engine Forum.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Some of those audio samples are reminding me of Unreal Tournament Mechanism Eight.

LeoTCK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Some of those audio samples are reminding me of Unreal Tournament Mechanism Eight.

Some? It is mechanism eight as far as I remember. At least one of the versions of Zeto had it, I can't play back the video now, but I'd swear all versions of Zeto had Mech8.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto