The first Witcher game is being remade in Unreal Engine 5

45fbab032611799fddcf2b36a4944d3876199dd2-1280x720.jpg

CD Projekt announced today that the first game in the Witcher series is being "rebuilt from the ground up in Unreal Engine 5." The remake is being worked on by Polish studio Fool's Theory, with CD Projekt Red "providing full creative supervision." Fool's Theory was chosen as several team members from the Witcher series now head up the new studio, such as CEO / Project Lead Jakub Rokosz and design director Karolina Kuzia-Rokosz, who both worked on quest design for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. It's also likely CDPR are not working on the remake themselves, as they are currently working on a new entry into the series. These new entries and Fool Theory's Witcher Remake will be made using the same engine and tools.

CDPR also emphasizes that the project is in the early stages of development and that they "want to ensure that the game is created with the utmost care and attention to detail." Therefore, it will be "a while" until more details are released.

This project was teased at the beginning of the month under the name "Canis Majoris." That tease also confirmed that the remake will be a "story-driven, single-player open-world RPG."

In other Witcher news, the next-gen version of The Witcher 3 is still expected to launch Q4 2022.

:arrow: Source

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the first witchers sword combat was essentially a rhythm clicker, and initially novel, wore itself out pretty fast. Witcher 1 IMO is a pretty good candidate for a remake as even when it came out(2007) a lot of its systems and graphics was already super dated, especially when juxtaposed to witcher 2 released 4 years later, which holds up very well visually.

Do hope that the remake of course makes the maps less linear and clunky, the swamp/forest map in particular.

edit: for those interested in W1, the plot isn't as connected as the story is like from 2 > 3 where your decisions affect the sequels events, 1 for the most part was very isolated plotwise and existed to basically introduce you to the characters in the Universe, especially Shani as she was completely missing in witcher 2 outside of a journal entry, and all of the non human characters.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yes most people liked the remake...but true fans of the original seen it for what it was...a cash grab that had pretty graphics and held your hand throughout the entire linear story. Then to top it all off they stopped the game at the end of the fucking introduction. It isnt even the game its just the 1st part. 10+ years to make that shit. Part 2 is suppost to come out soon lets see if it stays true to the open world format or if its just more preaty, money grabbing, hand holding pile of shit the 1st one was. BTW fuck what critics say about anything.
I'm honestly surprised people are passionately upset with how FFVII remake came out or going so far to call it a cash grab. It was a completely different game and I don't see how SE led people to believe that it was a replacement for the original. I have room to appreciate both, personally. I feel like it was something that they haven't screwed up recently.

If Project Red (or subsidiaries) could do similar effort for Witcher, I'd be amazed.

Reactions: pedro702

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I hope they keep all the 'encounters' and the cards. Loved the damn cards.
If they remove the cards, I'll boycott the game. D<

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end