The first Witcher game is being remade in Unreal Engine 5

45fbab032611799fddcf2b36a4944d3876199dd2-1280x720.jpg

CD Projekt announced today that the first game in the Witcher series is being "rebuilt from the ground up in Unreal Engine 5." The remake is being worked on by Polish studio Fool's Theory, with CD Projekt Red "providing full creative supervision." Fool's Theory was chosen as several team members from the Witcher series now head up the new studio, such as CEO / Project Lead Jakub Rokosz and design director Karolina Kuzia-Rokosz, who both worked on quest design for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. It's also likely CDPR are not working on the remake themselves, as they are currently working on a new entry into the series. These new entries and Fool Theory's Witcher Remake will be made using the same engine and tools.

CDPR also emphasizes that the project is in the early stages of development and that they "want to ensure that the game is created with the utmost care and attention to detail." Therefore, it will be "a while" until more details are released.

This project was teased at the beginning of the month under the name "Canis Majoris." That tease also confirmed that the remake will be a "story-driven, single-player open-world RPG."

In other Witcher news, the next-gen version of The Witcher 3 is still expected to launch Q4 2022.

:arrow: Source

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whilst "open world" aren't the first 2 rather linear in comparison to 3?

Or are they just broken up to smaller sections, moving on from each area when progressing?

I never thought I'd like it, but after playing Witcher 3 last year, a few years after release, it's now one of my favourite games of all time.

I've heard it was very buggy on release and for years after though (still bugs and "features" present not to be fair).

Even if it is linear, I'm very interested to see how this develops, as I haven't played the first or second. Can we expect that one of the other games is Witcher 2?

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Cant anyone have an original thought and not just remake to make money?

We would rather see a Witcher 4 than Witcher 1 remake.

I boycott the remakes. Mostly coz i already own the original and not interested in playing it again as all the remakes bring over the original bugs they never fixed.

Its the same story, same enemies, same locations. So not interesting unless youve never played it before.
So it might be remake in a new engine so itll look good. So? I know many games that look good but are bad games.

Remakes are money grabs from boring people with no creativity or original thoughts.
Boycott them. Tellcl the game devs we arent interested in these money grab remakes.

Reactions: Naster

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Good to know, Witcher 1 is hardly enjoyable for today's standards. The worst offender is the sensibility. It expects you to have a mouse that do not nearly match up with today's mices, but the game is clucky all around.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Cant anyone have an original thought and not just remake to make money?

We would rather see a Witcher 4 than Witcher 1 remake.

I boycott the remakes. Mostly coz i already own the original and not interested in playing it again as all the remakes bring over the original bugs they never fixed.

Its the same story, same enemies, same locations. So not interesting unless youve never played it before.
So it might be remake in a new engine so itll look good. So? I know many games that look good but are bad games.

Remakes are money grabs from boring people with no creativity or original thoughts.
Boycott them. Tellcl the game devs we arent interested in these money grab remakes.
did you even read the article? cd project red is making witcher 4 so they outsourced the remake to another studio and will do some creative supervising every now and then...

Also boycotting remakes is the dumbest thing, just because you played and dont care doesnt mean everyone else should boycott the remakes they never played. It would be like asking someone to boycott the resident evil 2 remake because if you wanted to play that they could get a ps1 and play it... even tough the remake is totally different...

A remake is different then a remaster you seem to know nothing about it, a remaster uses the same engine/ assets and just upgrades textures, frame-rate and so on.

A remake is when you just follow the game plot (doesnt need to b even 100% the same) and do your own thing on a totally different engine, so a remake never has the previous games bugs because its not even on the same engine...

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't played W1, but even W2 has clunky/complicated battle system that is a bit frustrating.. so if it's like that (or worse), then they should overhaul the combat/ battle system and make it good (like W3 or better). And i'll definitely take a shot at it once it's out..

Trojaner

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Would just laugh if the fuck the Remake up like Square has done with FFVII Remake. Dunno but i'm really tired from all the Remakes.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The era of remakes. Yay.

Remasters made sense back then to just improve a game for HD graphics, but now publishers are relying on creating a game out of an old game. Disappointing "progress."

Reactions: Trojaner

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Reactions: tabzer

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uai they do dis?

The game is basically new. Is the game landscape so stale that they need to remake 10 year old games?
Hardly new, but this is basically the new practice for publishers.

Why make a new game when we can just make a new game based on an old game?

Trojaner

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Dont you mean GTA trilogy? Because while i dont play Final Fantasy at all, by public and critics alike the remake off ffVII is pretty well received, you may be the exception here lol.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII_Remake#Reception

Well, the Classic was top, one of the best. But this totally brocken down Remake we got from VII was just Horror. Everything is missing what made me fall in Love with the FF-Franchise. A good old time, where games where worth there money.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol