[PPOTW] Which do you think is better, android or ios?

Which one is better, android or ios?

• Total voters

T-hug

Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate how my brother has a galaxy s 1 and I have an iPod 4th gen and some older games still lag on my iPod but on his they run smooth.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I gotta say, Android is definitely superior. From a serious business development standpoint, I guess it can be kind of annoying trying to make a game that works on several different versions of Android while simultaneously supporting the many different pieces of hardware out there that make up each different Android powered phone or tablet. From an everyone else standpoint though, Android offers a level of customization that Apple refuses to offer with iOS. The ability to change to custom ROMs, install an app from absolutely any source that gives it, and to pick just the right phone that offers the hardware and features you need to be inherently present for yourself is fantastic. You can't experiment like that with iOS. You can't pick from a plethora of different iPhone models that may offer the hardware you desire, and the functionality you require.

About the only thing that iOS has on Android, really, is that it gets some "major" game releases that Android doesn't. Beside that, I'd say Android has grown into a significantly better OS. I'd call it the clear winner.

Edit: Just to note, the only Android stuff I have is a smartphone several years old that doesn't support newer Android in any form, and a tablet that will likely never make it beyond Cyanogenmod7. I have yet to have any issue in enjoying what Android has to offer.

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
There is a difference between Android OS vs IOS, and Android devices vs iOS devices.

In terms of OS, i believe both have advantages/disadvantages. Android is open, cheaper, more programmer friendly. IOS is FAR MORE EFFICIENT in terms of hardware resources... But it is a walled garden, and objective C sucks :P

When comparing devices, there is absolutely no question, Android devices are cheaper AND more, far more powerful. They have also more/better features.

Apple devices still have the best gpus though*........

*And their user interface feels a lot snappier because of it.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I'm soon going to migrate to Android as my main platform, mainly because iOS doesn't support some of my files unless I jailbreak. On android I can do whatever I want to view and access these files. Android devices also come in lots of varieties. I plan on migrating to the Galaxy note 3 once it's out.

I have to acknowledge that the iOS ecosystem is still a lot more superior than Android (IMO), but I have to give android the thumbs up here because of the openness.

Felipe_9595

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I gotta say, Android is definitely superior. From a serious business development standpoint, I guess it can be kind of annoying trying to make a game that works on several different versions of Android while simultaneously supporting the many different pieces of hardware out there that make up each different Android powered phone or tablet. From an everyone else standpoint though, Android offers a level of customization that Apple refuses to offer with iOS. The ability to change to custom ROMs, install an app from absolutely any source that gives it, and to pick just the right phone that offers the hardware and features you need to be inherently present for yourself is fantastic. You can't experiment like that with iOS. You can't pick from a plethora of different iPhone models that may offer the hardware you desire, and the functionality you require.

About the only thing that iOS has on Android, really, is that it gets some "major" game releases that Android doesn't. Beside that, I'd say Android has grown into a significantly better OS. I'd call it the clear winner.

Edit: Just to note, the only Android stuff I have is a smartphone several years old that doesn't support newer Android in any form, and a tablet that will likely never make it beyond Cyanogenmod7. I have yet to have any issue in enjoying what Android has to offer.

How old? I am running ICS in my shitty Galaxy mini and i am having a blast playing Metal Slug at full FPS with a wiimote lol

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
How old? I am running ICS in my shitty Galaxy mini and i am having a blast playing Metal Slug at full FPS with a wiimote lol
It's a Droid X that I received from a friend who upgraded about six months ago. It happily sits on 2.3 while all these people are getting excited over Android 5.0. :P

Reactions: Felipe_9595

Slamicite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Android, and I'm pretty satisfied with it. I've never had an iOS device, though, and don't plan to, given what I know about it and how I feel about Apple's general philosophy and business strategies.
I'm not surprised Android is winning by such a large margin in an ambient where people are likelier to know better.

T-hug

Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I had the original Samsung Galaxy S which I upgraded to the SGSIII and I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1".
I don't buy any apple products so the only time I mess with Ipods, pads, phones is when I'm fixing them or jailbreaking them for friends and family.
I prefer android for all the reasons already covered, plus removable and upgradable memory, ease of use and openness.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
There is a difference between Android OS vs IOS, and Android devices vs iOS devices.
Yes and no. Of course you can just look at the interface and base your opinion purely on intuitivity, ease-of-use and amount of apps, but not that much more. Fact is that android is made to fit on just about any hardware, and iOS "just" on what apple uses. That is a MAJOR advantage of android, though the drawback is obviously that apple can optimize things much more.

Personally...I want to vote for android, but it wouldn't be fair. I have it on both my e-reader (though it's only visible if I root the thing) and my phone, and I'm perfectly happy with it. But the only experience I have with iOS is a few random checks on my girlfriend's tablet. Not only are those totally different devices, I hardly have time to measure anything. So there's no way I can say whether I even like one over the other. :unsure:

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as much as i like the open-endedness of Android, the fragmentation of it kinda turns me off which is why i prefer Windows Phones, while it's not as customizable there's a lot less maintenance and fiddling around

and personally, i find the UI a bit more intuitive then iOS and yeah i don't have to use frickin' iTunes

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a