[PPOTW] Is the Vita TV a good idea?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by T-hug, Oct 20, 2013.

?

Is the Vita TV a good idea?

1. Yes

158 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. No

171 vote(s)
    37.7%
  3. Maybe

119 vote(s)
    26.2%
  4. Other (please specify)

6 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    So this weeks poll asks: Is Vita TV a good idea?

[​IMG]

If you have an idea for a poll you would like to see on the portal just send me a PM with PPOTW in the title and your questions and answers for the poll.

GameWinner and Twilight_Warrior like this.

2. TwilightWarrior

TwilightWarrior GBATEMP'S Official Boss

Jun 3, 2013
    Canada
    In front of my 3DS
    Yes, yes it is

3. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Yes if Sony knows how to market it correctly, but I think SCEA has already given up on the Vita though. Shame because this is perfect for America since it's more into console gaming rather than handheld gaming.
    I think I'll be buying one if the price is right here in the US. (Where is the 64GB memory card and the Slim Vita, SCEA? :( )

4. Forstride

Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

May 6, 2008
    United States
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'd rather just buy a PS4.

5. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London

No one wants to part of the LCD inferiority slave race.

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's a good idea as far as so-called "emerging markets" are concerned - think China, India, Brazil and the likes. A large portion of the population there cannot afford a full-blown next generation system, but a microconsole is a good, cheap alternative, and while most microconsoles are based on Android, the PSVita TV isn't - it offers a unique library of games, many from big name developers which are not available elsewhere.

As a device, the PSVita TV clearly isn't built to compete with the Wii U/PS4/XBox One as it's not a proper next generation system, rather a portable-gone-home console, it's not supposed to compete with the Apple TV and the likes either as its functionality in regards to streaming or apps is rather limited - it's more like a marriage between the two and on the right market, it can flourish.

Qtis and Gahars like this.
  7. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Nah, they'll probably buy a JXD instead :glare:

8. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    I know right!? PS4 is like $2000 in Brazil iirc!
    Personally I'm going to get a Vita TV for PS4 remote play in my living room.

9. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    Wigan, UK
    Think the options should actually be:

Yes
    Definitely Yes
    Hell Yes
    Fukk Yeah!!

Current Vita owners, and anyone remotely interested in getting PS4, this should be a no-brainer, for everyone else - still a great idea! Whether it'll sell by the millions is a different matter altogether, I guess the casual crowd just won't get it...

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That's the thing with Android-based devices - everybody and their dog already has one - you can play Android games on your phone, on your tablet, your microconsole, your "anything" these days. The market is oversaturated with these devices and there's very little incentive to buy another one, wheras the PSVita TV offers something new, fresh and at an affordable price. Think about it - it's a system capable of playing a large backlog of PS2/PS3 games via Gaikai and PS1/PSP/PSVita games on top of that, that's a pretty good dealio if you ask me.

11. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I think it's a good idea. Its low price will definitely help introduce others to the games the Vita has (yeah, Nintenyearolds, the Vita has games :rolleyes:). It'll also be nice for those who get a PS4, seeing how it will support remote play as well. PS4 set up in the living room and you want to play some kickass games while your family is watching TV? Vita TV, bitches. ;O;

Not to mention it's rumored to support streaming PS3 games from the cloud, so whenever that service is released you essentially have a PSP, PSX, PS3, Vita, and a PS4 all in one little package.

12. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    The lack of touch control is the only thing keeping me from saying yes. Lacking a major feature of the system is hindering it, but I don't see how they could have done it anyway

13. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Good idea but with some serious flaws.

The fact it won't support a bunch of touchscreen or motion controlled games is quite an issue, considering even stick-and-buttons based games usually have some small amount of motion controls.

...However it is still a great multimedia console, even as a $100 Netflix box. Pile on that PSP games (not all of them mind you but it generally has all the good ones), a bunch of good Vita games (P4G is compatible so that's cool as hell), not to mention all the indie games it's getting or already has, and it's probably the best option currently for entry-level consoles.

For a Vita owner as myself I can also hope this pioneers some more stick-and-buttons games and takes away emphasis on all the motion controls and touchscreen stuff. Not that any of it kills games but it can be very grating. Like I just finished Rayman Legends (well the main part of the game, still need to get the super final level and stuff) and the Murphy levels are absolutely annoying and really detract from the game.

It also provides a nice middleground between like entry level Android consoles which are cheap but don't have a ton of quality and high end consoles like your Xbox One and PS4. It's still cheap but it still provides high quality games at a cheaper price than consoles ($40 > $60).

14. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Sadly, despite that, the JXD will still be more appealing to them. :(
    I live in one of those countries, so I know it.

15. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    The PS Vita TV is Sony bending the Ouya over its knee and giving the little device the hardest spanking of its short, miserable life.

It's a machine that can play all PS Vita games (All three of them, anyway), all PSP games, and PS1 titles, offer some streaming services, and connect to the PS4, all for only $99. As it stands, it is a pretty sweet deal.

As it turns out, taking the Vita to the silver screen was a golden idea. Who'da thunk?

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I really don't understand why the system wasn't made compatible with the PS4 controller instead of the PS3's Dual Shock - the built-in touchpad could double as the PSVita's touchscreen and SIXAXIS can be used instead of PSVita's gyros. Sure, bundling the system with a superior controller would inflate the price, but it'd increase compatibility at the same time (games that use the camera would still be a problem). Here's for hoping that games which are not compatible with it now will be made compatible via patches.

EDIT: Redacted. ;)

17. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    it is a great idea and the cheapest way for me to play P4G. i might buy a vita if i really like it. plus i have never been into touch screen stuff anyway.

18. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    It's compatible with the PS4 controller but just not at launch. I'm guessing they did not want to throw in the DS4 because the PS4 launches next year in Japan (this launches next month in Japan).

19. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone

I think it is compatible but even the the front touchpad wouldn't really be able to serve as a touchscreen. At most it'd work as a rear touchpad solution.

I don't think the system is bundled with any controller actually but there's already a ton of people with PS3 controllers and I'm sure people will use their PS4 ones when the system comes out.

20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Fair enough, that makes sense - thanks for the correction! :yayps3: