[PPOTW] Are you interested in Valve's new vision for Steam?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by T-hug, Sep 29, 2013.

?

Are you interested in Valve's new vision for Steam?

1. Yes

159 vote(s)
    32.6%
  2. No

145 vote(s)
    29.8%
  3. Maybe

48 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. I need to see more first

130 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. Other (please specify)

5 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England

2. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    I first need to see more of valve's visions. How the controller are different, steam machines etc. ;)

edit: first voter!

3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I might end up getting one of those controllers eventually if they aren't too expensive. It looks really nice. SteamOS and the steambox I'll ignore for now.

4. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    "Interested" is certainly the word to describe it. I'm very curious to see how steamOS games benchmarks against the same system on windows 7, 8 and ubuntu. In any way, I'll install it on my backup PC, and if it can do everything it promises, I'll also put a second partition on my main PC.

I'll wait for the reviews before thinking about a controller. Their claims seem a bit high...but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Steambox...no. Unfortunate enough, I just bought a new rig. I'll keep track of it's success, but I don't think I'll ever have one (or it should actually become the norm in 7-10 years...but that's unlikely).

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Until they have unrestricted resale of games then I am not going to be joining in but I am curious to see if they can rock the boat a bit.

6. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I for one welcome our new overlords.

All hail Valve, soon to be kings of the universe.

Tom Bombadildo likes this.
  7. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    If they can produce a Steambox with worthwhile specs and a decent asking price, that might just be my nextgen machine. I've been meaning to work my way into the master race, and a Steambox sounds like it could be a perfect foot in the door. Plus, that new controller is intriguing as hell. It might need a bit more fine tuning, but the versatility it offers has tickled my curiosity.

My hype has reached critical mass faster than Gabe.

8. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    As a part of the PC Master Race, I'm fairly interested in the Steam Machines and the controller. Considering how Valve seemed to have a bunch of different models that I assume vary in functionality/price, I would be quite interested in a cheap "Stream from your own PC" box that I can throw in my living room for when I want to play on a big screen.

The controller is intriguing as fuck, too. When I first saw it, I thought it was ugly as hell and that I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. But as I read about what it was trying to accomplish, I was interested in trying it out to see how it really compares to the far superior mouse and keyboard combo.

9. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Whenever I see Valve, I think >> omg, Half Life 3 << It's pretty hard to expand my mind past that. I just can't believe they're coming out with a new operating system when they could be working on Half-Life 3. Shit.
    Far superior mouse and keyboard combo? More like the far superior touchpad and keyboard combo. That's way more superior than some old clicky thing with a cord on it.

10. nukeboy95

nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
    Knowing valve it will be the a good no great controller

11. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    I'm actually really interested in the controller. The concept behind it is great, but I want to see how the track pads work and how accurate they are. I've always preferred controller to mouse/keyboard.

12. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Does not interest me at all.
    I don't think it'll be the big game changer people are expecting it to be.

Edit: But it is Valve and their brain-dead fanboys will buy it and are defending this like it's the greatest thing ever.

13. TheRedfox

TheRedfox Admire our great leader ;o;

May 17, 2012
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Nope
    THIS IS GREATIST THING EVAR :) BUY VALVE TheY WON THE CONSOLEWARS

mthrnite likes this.
  14. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Spooky cute.

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    The controller is eh to me, but not a system killer. And it should come as no shock that I am interested in Steam OS the most.

15. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    That can be said for any new console.

16. Hells Malice

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I can see how a console with thousands of games would be unappealing.

17. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
  18. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    what ever people say, for the last ten years Valve is been pushing the gaming world forward and giving devs chances where others dont want to even let them even pitch an idea, unless its millions from the get go.

19. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    But it's not a console.
    It's a small form-factor PC and nothing more.

Not only that but it won't play Windows and Mac games natively, so if you're a console gamer / a gamer without a gaming PC you're stuck with Linux compatible games which is about than 200 games if I recall, most which are indie games. I honestly have nothing against indie games, but uninformed people are going to buy it and think they'll have huge library of AAA games. And if you do you have a gaming PC you have to stream it to play it on a steam machine.

Not only that but SteamOS will be free, so buying a steam machine to stream is dumb.

So yeah, a small form-factor PC that's tied to Linux games (unless you have a gaming PC) is unappealing to me. And I stand by my statement that it won't be a game changer. There's already an alternative to play steam games on your TV, all you need is an HDMI cable.

20. Hells Malice

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Yeah god forbid someone buy a, quite likely, cost efficient and properly set up machine to run steams entire library.

What a terrible idea.

Grab the pitchforks lets burn the bitches headquarters down.

EDIT: btw you're completely missing the point of the console if you think its for PC gamers. Four and a half stars of retarded, really.

king_leo likes this.