Sony's new streaming handheld gets name and price

5e8509d3e2d54b4004ca28d9bc004387.jpg

Sony's new remote-play only device finally has a name and a price. The streaming only device is officially called the PlayStation Portal remote player and will launch later this year for $199.99 USD (219.99 EURO / 199.99 GBP / 29,980 YEN).

The handheld sports an 8inch LCD screen capable of playing games remotely at up to 1080p60. The device includes all features from the PlayStation 5 DualSense such as adaptive triggers and haptic feedback.

PlayStation Portal remote player

PlayStation Portal remote player brings the PS5 experience to the palm of your hand. It includes the key features of the DualSense wireless controller, including adaptive triggers and haptic feedback*. The vibrant 8-inch LCD screen is capable of 1080p resolution at 60fps, providing a high definition visual experience that's expected from the high quality games created by world-class developers.

PlayStation Portal is the perfect device for gamers in households where they might need to share their living room TV or simply want to play PS5 games in another room of the house. PlayStation Portal will connect remotely to your PS5 over Wi-Fi**, so you'll be able to swiftly jump from playing on your PS5 to your PlayStation Portal. PlayStation Portal can play supported games that are installed on your PS5 console and use the Dualsense controller. It also includes a 3.5mm audio jack for wired audio. PS VR2 games, which require the headset, and games that are streamed through PlayStation Plus Premium's cloud streaming, are not supported.

Pre-orders for the device will go live later this year.

Sony have also announced a new Pulse Elite headset priced at 149.99 USD (149.99 EURO, 129.99 GBP, 18,980 YEN) that offers lossless audio, retractable boom mic and built in an AI noise cancelling feature.

424463b68a9e54c935d8c68605a134032f22ad69-scaled.jpg fd8ff6133d32b19bc1f1b28322fa986cd7808a27-scaled.jpg

Their new wireless ear buds also have a name - Pulse Explore , and also feature the above AI noise cancelling tech and dual mics and these are priced at an eye-watering 199.99 USD (219.99 EURO, 199.99 GBP, 29,980 YEN).

1a8c11dc8eb22b6d7c7d2784290b5b9c2b4f4d78-scaled.jpg 66432d561feff841dab2c528b1519ac76bb53e5c-scaled.jpg

:arrow: Source

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not for that price point lmao. They're taking the piss.
Even $150 would be too much, maybe at $99.99 it'd be a balanced price to convince customers to buy it without realizing it's not a handheld gaming device like the PSP, Vita, 3DS, or the Switch. It's a fuckin' streaming device!

Reactions: EthanB

EthanB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even $150 would be too much, maybe at $99.99 it'd be a balanced price to convince customers to buy it without realizing it's not a handheld gaming device like the PSP, Vita, 3DS, or the Switch. It's a fuckin' streaming device!
Yeah I mean I'd rather just get a backbone controller for my phone for the "authentic" experience lol. At least the screen is AMOLED rather than LCD.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I mean I'd rather just get a backbone controller for my phone for the "authentic" experience lol. At least the screen is AMOLED rather than LCD.
The Backbone looks pretty good, but that too has a steep price ($79.99~$99.99).

I recently bought a cheap controller clip and will just use my Stadia controller. Fine by me.

Reactions: EthanB

halfashark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I really hope we're all just misunderstanding Sony or something because otherwise this is the stupidest thing I've seen them release in several years.

snobbysteven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least with this handheld, when Sony abandons it there will still continue to be new games to play on it (since it streams the ps5).

Payne

Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
About to remove wifi antena from my vita, so it may never see this abomination.
New era is upon us, and im not liking it.

will be cool to see what features modding will unlock tho. I have a feeling that hackers will complete product that Sony started, much like how it was with vita.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just emulate with a Steam Deck. No one would buy a portable PS2 from Sony because 1. Chances are it can't read PS2 discs and 2. You could get a cheaper alternative and get PS2 games for free.
Well, there are phones now capable of playing PS2 games so it's more portable and compact than a SteamDeck.

Great as the SteamDeck is, its size reminds me of... The GameGear. 😅

I'd love to buy the Backbone controller, but dang it's expensive!

• Love
Reactions: Kevbo

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This will likely be DoA so the whole calling it "PSP" won't be a thing, thankfully. :P

I'm not hoping it fails, it's just that it's a fucking $200 streaming device with a PS5 controller attached to it rather than a real PlayStation handheld.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
That's not worth it. Small screen is not good enough. Fine for kids and teens can use small screen. Not for me.

I prefer PS4/PS5 with big normal HDTV is enough for me. No need extra add on something to hardware to hardware are waste money and junk.

That's for people which have hard time to read words and subtitles then should stick with HDTV permanent for lifetime which are very easy to read words and subtitles in any games, movies, etc. B-)

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
Sony handheld - Aw, neat!

Sony STREAMING ONLY handheld - Complete garbage!

Can't wait for the first exploit and emulators to crop up on this thing, it might be useable then.
Same thing that I thought too at the beginning. :P But we don't really have any information of its specs yet, so we can't asume much, because it uses Sony's proprietary wireless for connecting to the console and/or accessories and the lack of an SD card slot there won't really be a method of connecting to it...I doubt that it could be possible over Wi-Fi only...And the USB-C port will most likely be for charging only and no data...And it being a remote play only device I don't really think it will have any memory if at all...only the minimal OS stuff that is required for the remote play to work and that's it.

BTW, all that I wrote above are purely my speculations and aren't 100% accurate, so don't quote me on them for not being accurate. :ha:

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same thing that I thought too at the beginning. :P But we don't really have any information of its specs yet, so we can't asume much, because it uses Sony's proprietary wireless for connecting to the console and/or accessories and the lack of an SD card slot there won't really be a method of connecting to it...I doubt that it could be possible over Wi-Fi only...And the USB-C port will most likely be for charging only and no data...And it being a remote play only device I don't really think it will have any memory if at all...only the minimal OS stuff that is required for the remote play to work and that's it.

BTW, all that I wrote above are purely my speculations and aren't 100% accurate, so don't quote me on them for not being accurate. :ha:

The hacked the Wii Mini despite it not having any internet functionality or an SD card slot, purely sending an exploit over bluetooth! And since there's an exploit that just uses the Wii's internet connection and the EULA, It's not completely impossible for someone to make an exploit over the network exclusively, somehow. But you do raise some prudent points, it'd probably be really difficult to crack like that (if even possible) and I hadn't considered how little storage there'd be.. If all else fails, I'm sure someone'd make a modchip for it and someone would probably solder on an SD card slot, data-capable USB-C port, or upgrade the NAND just for the hell of it. You give console models a lock, and they will pick it, even if it takes a sledgehammer.

But you're right, it's way too early for me to be making huge judgement calls on it. Still not gonna touch streaming games with a 200,000 kilometer pole, but maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit with my assumptions.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The hacked the Wii Mini despite it not having any internet functionality or an SD card slot, purely sending an exploit over bluetooth! And since there's an exploit that just uses the Wii's internet connection and the EULA, It's not completely impossible for someone to make an exploit over the network exclusively, somehow. But you do raise some prudent points, it'd probably be really difficult to crack like that (if even possible) and I hadn't considered how little storage there'd be.. If all else fails, I'm sure someone'd make a modchip for it and someone would probably solder on an SD card slot, data-capable USB-C port, or upgrade the NAND just for the hell of it. You give console models a lock, and they will pick it, even if it takes a sledgehammer.

But you're right, it's way too early for me to be making huge judgement calls on it. Still not gonna touch streaming games with a 200,000 kilometer pole, but maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit with my assumptions.
The Wii Mini is the poor person's version of the Wii, but still the price for these are going up. I'd just stick with an original Wii with GC support.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto