Sony Project Q handheld video leaked; shows its Android-powered OS

F1n-SZKX0AAPzci.jpeg

After announcing Project Q in May, their next gaming handheld aimed at streaming PS5 games in May, Sony didn't provide much details about this system except for a glimpse at its hardware. Well, that’s the official case as unofficially, there has recently been a leaked video that provides a closer look at the device’s hardware as well as software. The news was shared by Twitter user @Zuby_Tech:

While in low resolution, we can see from the video that the device’s OS, clearly an early and unpolished version, is Android-based. We can see a familiar Android launcher/app drawer, navigation buttons as well as some Android test apps. A “QC Test” app apparently indicates that the handheld packs a Snapdragon chip.

Based on the video, it appears that the handheld - likely a prototype - is also a single unit, as opposed to having detachable controllers like the Switch. In a separate tweet, Zuby_Tech also shared some additional pictures of the device, including one with the screen module remove and exposing part of the device’s innards:

F1n-SnhXwAEGYkj.jpeg

F1n-ShPXsAANACM.jpeg F1n-SZKX0AAPzci.jpeg

As these are unofficial videos, you might want to take this news with a pinch of salt but considering that the device will run on a version of Android, it suggests that it could be used for more than just streaming PS5 games. Options could range from cloud gaming to official emulators to loading unofficial emulator APKs; but its potentials will depend on its specs and we'll have to wait for the official word from Sony.

What do you think of the Project Q? Are you looking forward to this handheld?

:arrow: SOURCE

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
That's exactly how this snowballed, people refusing to accept it's for streaming PS5 games (Backbone One) and not a new Vita.

Nobody in this thread thought this was going to be a new Vita. Everyone knows it was for streaming. You jumped into the middle of a pedantry dispute starting with this:

it's NOT a handheld!

What's interesting about your inconsistency is that you will argue that "console" and "device" are the same thing (even in the case of juxtaposition, which is just revels in illiteracy) but then:

You guys perfectly know well that when people refer to handhands in gaming

That's the actual dispute. We disagree.

Look at this comment:

Thread: Wasted chance to create a Vita successor. Who needs yet another streaming handheld device..

Guy: You are all wrong! This is NOT a new handheld console!

Thread: Eh?

Don't be that "Guy".

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the actual dispute. We disagree.

No one on GBAtemp is confused about what a handheld is (GBA... oh, a handheld!), prove otherwise without a wall of text.

All we've had are examples of two guys trying to move a goal point by attempting to define "handheld" to mean something generic and inclusive.

Potatoes and sticks are fun handhelds guys! We've gotta be inclusive.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
No one on GBAtemp is confused about what a handheld is (GBA... oh, a handheld!), prove otherwise without a wall of text.

All we've had are examples of two guys trying to move a goal point by attempting to define "handheld" to mean something generic and inclusive.

Potatoes and sticks are fun handhelds guys! We've gotta be inclusive.

Perhaps you are lost on the etymology of "handhelds". I explained it earlier with indisputable fact, and you seemed to have ignored it. You also want to argue that "console" means "device" in gaming, but you don't don't want to offer the same flexibility to "handheld" even though, colloquially, it is used more flexibly than "console". You are out of touch.

Check out "the first handheld electronic game".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattel_Auto_Race

Gameboy can't play shit without external media. What's the difference if that media is streamed or on a separate cart?

Reactions: DaniPoo

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The self-appointed gatekeeping white knight tries to move the goal point yet again and fails.

Dead on arrival

Probably. It's a niche peripheral, the price point would have to be low to compete with other options.

Sunny's Project Qrap is getting even crappier than before. Hope to see it on a "Will it blend?" video on release day.

That would actually make this interesting.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The self-appointed gatekeeping white knight tries to move the goal point yet again and fails.

Gatekeeping is what you are doing by restricting other people's point of view.

Disagreeing with your bigoted attachment and application of the word "handheld" is not moving a goalpost. I have persistently and consistently disagreed with you on that point and have history and education on my side.

You have strawman and catch-phrases that you obviously don't understand.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Gatekeeping is what you are doing by restricting other people's point of view.

Disagreeing with your bigoted attachment and application of the word "handheld" is not moving a goalpost. I have persistently and consistently disagreed with you on that point and have history and education on my side.

You have strawman and catch-phrases that you obviously don't understand.

Stop feeding him. The people here can read the previous conversation if they want and decide for themselves who they will agree with. If they agree with anyone. Maybe someone else could actually argue on his side (with some actual solid arguments)
But the way he is doing discussions is just toxic, empty and not worth the time.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Stop feeding him. The people here can read the previous conversation if they want and decide for themselves who they will agree with. If they agree with anyone. Maybe someone else could actually argue on his side (with some actual solid arguments)
But the way he is doing discussions is just toxic, empty and not worth the time.

I'm doing this for the pedantry, not because it's right or good to anyone else in particular. If you want to hold his hand through the process, be my guest; though he seems pretty confused at what "hands" and "holding" are. Maybe it's AI?

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's evident that 'stop feeding' is merely an excuse for underhanded jabs and labels due to running out of valid arguments.

Let's face the reality that several others hold opinions that this is a DOA device, is mostly useless, and for something that's loosely called a "new Sony handheld" by clickbait headlines it does nothing one would expect like play its own dedicated games without being tethered to a big brother.

All you've said is that it's not a peripheral like the Wii U controller because it's going to be made into a real portable by the community since "someone something potential homebrew hack" Android games, then you provide a Webster's Dictionary definition of what it means to hold something in your hand as a counterpoint, and end with "toxic because he doesn't agree with me, please white knight stop engaging".

Last edited by raging_chaos,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's already more than a Wii U controller because it is demonstrated to being capable of hosting an operating system independent of the PS5. It might be capable of playing Vita games, eventually, but so far you haven't really disagreed with any of that. You just seem bitter about it. I said specifically:

"In function, it seems to be designed to act like a Wii U controller, an expensive one at that, but its technical specs suggests potential beyond that."

But clearly you want to misrepresent what I said.

All you've had to say is that it's not a peripheral

^lol. no.

It's evident that 'stop feeding' is merely an excuse for underhanded jabs and labels due to running out of valid arguments.

It's because you don't respond to actual arguments, you resort to name-calling, tossing salt, and retarding the conversation.

You might not like the marketing of the word "handheld" because as a child you may have gotten overly sentimental about calling your gameboy your "handheld"--a word you still don't know how to define.

Peripheral is a broad term. Handheld is a broad term. This Q thing is both. Everyone here knows it's for streaming games from PS5. What cloud are you pissing from?

Last edited by tabzer,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Funny how the reply goes to one guy but the white knight account answers while accomplishing nothing. It's almost as if alts are speaking for each other.

You are talking out loud and it was in response to what I posted. Try being coherent.

Seeing as you aren't disputing anything I say, I take it that I you realize I am fully correct.

Enjoy your salt.

Last edited by tabzer,

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country

Let's face the reality that several others hold opinions that this is a DOA device, is mostly useless, and for something that's loosely called a "new Sony handheld" by clickbait headlines it does nothing one would expect like play its own dedicated games without being tethered to a big brother.

All you've said is that it's not a peripheral like the Wii U controller because it's going to be made into a real portable by the community since "someone something potential homebrew hack" Android games, then you provide a Webster's Dictionary definition of what it means to hold something in your hand as a counterpoint, and end with "toxic because he doesn't agree with me, please white knight stop engaging".
When did I even talk about it's usefulness? (I only speculated that due to the chip and OS I think they could do something more with it than just streaming)

Look, I am also disappointed that Sony don't make handheld game consoles like the PSP and PSVita anymore. But it is what it is...
But that is not what we are arguing about, if you think that then you need to read my posts again.

I don't know how good or bad this device will be because it's not out yet. And you don't know either.
I have not said that it's not a peripheral, if you reads my posts you would know that I said that it could be considered both a peripheral AND a handheld gaming device (but perhaps not a handheld game console)
I only argued that your definition of "handheld gaming device" is too narrow, and that a device could satisfy multiple descriptions. like how a Chromebook is also a laptop that in turn also is a portable computer and a digital electronics device.

Why should I provide any more valid arguments? Everything I say you brush off as if you didn't hear it.
Instead you keep repeating the same nonsense about white knighting, gatekeeping and "moving the goal point" (as if that is not underhanded) when we are merely providing arguments, comparisons and being openminded. Just stop..

Last edited by DaniPoo,

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I said that it could be considered both a peripheral AND a handheld gaming device (but perhaps not a handheld game console)
What you actually said during a back and forth between two people debating whether or not this is a handheld portable or streaming device:
In my opinion it's a handheld gaming device, But not a handheld game console.

You're making a subjective distinction between the two based on personal opinion without facts, that is the first point. The second one was that it's more appropriate to label this as a peripheral, not a generic term like "handheld".

You might have decided to concede it is better described as a peripheral, but that still doesn't change the first point and a valid counterpoint isn't a generic discussion about what's "held in the hand".

This is what has you guys mad anyway, you're just sour I'm not falling for dogpiling tactics and that I agree with his general opinion that it's a useless screen attached to a controller:
Are you looking forward to this handheld?
no i don't give a fuck about a shitty streaming device it's NOT a handheld!
Except it's literally a handheld gaming device.
Except it's literally a streaming gaming device.
No, you're trying to redefine what peripherals and handhelds are. This is not a handheld device because it doesn't work without being tethered to another console. (<--- trying to define "handheld gaming device" as "anything held in your hand" isn't valid; see potato)

Handheld devices are portable and self-contained, they function independently without the need for external connections. Peripherals, like controllers, rely on being connected to a primary device (such as a gaming console) to work as intended.
It is more appropriately called a peripheral since it does not function without being tethered to a PS5. Will this help?
"Except it's literally a peripheral device meant for streaming PS5 games." So what's next, another weak dogpile stance where you both try do redefine what handhelds and consoles are between just the both of you?

Your entire argument revolves around "it's handheld gaming device because it's held in the hand, duh. Look at the words hand and held. Derp."

Everyone else: "Why do they act like we aren't talking about devices like the PSP/Vita/Steamdeck when we say 'it's not a handheld' ?"
i'm not trolling nothing your just too stupid to realize what this thing is. i've known about it for months i was even the first person to make a post about it when it was first rumored. someone even made a thread thinking that it was a new switch once again i corrected them again and told them about this fucking pathetic device. go ahead look at my old posts you'll see i have mentioned this THING again and again in several posts spanning months back saying again and again what it was. so once again:
  • it's NOT a handheld
  • it's not a vita successor
  • it's not a tablet
  • it's not a gaming device
it's a useless screen attached to a controller that lets you STREAM games from your ps5.
there's no playing android games on it. there's no jailbreaking it. there's not going to be any way to play any other games on it except ones you have on your ps5 or have a ps plus account. so get the idea out of your head that it's going to be the next big thing from sony i'm sorry IT IS NOT.

it's designed to do ONE thing and ONE thing ONLY

stream games from your ps5!

so go ahead reply some bullshit trying to deny all that now. but i wont be seeing them anymore

Feel free to dogpile amongst yourselves and blow smoke while pretending to be hung up that this is a discussion about what Webster's dictionary says about the words "hand" and "held" when Bladexdsl's point is this isn't a "handheld" it's streaming crap and that mine is that it's a niche peripheral like the Wii U controller and not a traditional handheld. Completely flies over some people's heads apparently.

I got you to start using the word peripheral like you should have in the first place, so my work is done.

Edit: Your response at first was one sentence long, "quit making things up" and then you decided to expand on it when you think no one is looking.

You've also invented a nice little narrative to go along with it starting by editing the post above with two new paragraphs and a reply below where you're trying to define what "handhelds and consoles" should be for everyone else even though you're the only one that's confused.

Last edited by raging_chaos,

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
What you actually said during a back and forth between two people debating whether or not this is a handheld portable or streaming device:

You're making a subjective distinction between the two based on personal opinion without facts, that is the first point. The second one was that it's more appropriate to label this as a peripheral, not a generic term like "handheld".

You might have decided to concede it is better described as a peripheral, but that still doesn't change the first point and a valid counterpoint isn't a generic discussion about what's "held in the hand".

This is what has you guys mad anyway, you're just sour I'm not falling for dogpiling tactics and that I agree with his general opinion that it's a useless screen attached to a controller:
Feel free to dogpile amongst yourselves and blow smoke.
quit making things up

I am not saying that it's either a peripheral or a handheld gamin device. I am saying that it's both.
It's also a streaming device.

I have provided more facts and arguments to strengthen my point than you have so just zip it and get off your high horse until you can provide any more substantial arguments yourself.

Don't throw rocks in a glass house.

Lastly, I am not mad, I am tired of you twisting what I say in an attempt to somehow make you more believable. Where are your fact and your arguments?

As you push yourself further and further into a corner you must realise that you can't possibly emerge "victorious".

Start providing arguments for your claims instead of just saying "it's like this, because I say so, and my friends think so too", because that's basically your level of arguments.

And with that, you have no right to expect me to provide any more than I already provided.

Last edited by DaniPoo,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
When did I even talk about it's usefulness? I am also disappointed that Sony don't make handheld game consoles like the PSP and PSVita anymore.

I don't know how good or bad this device will be because it's not out yet. And you don't know either.
I have not said that it's not a peripheral, if you reads my posts you would know that I said that it could be considered both a peripheral AND a handheld gaming device (but perhaps not a handheld game console)
I only argued that your definition of "handheld gaming device" is too narrow, and that a device could satisfy multiple descriptions. like how a Chromebook is also a laptop that in turn also is a portable computer and a digital electronics device.

Why should I provide any more valid arguments? Everything I say you brush off as if you didn't hear it.
Instead you keep repeating the same nonsense about white knighting, gatekeeping and "moving the goal point" (as if that is not underhanded) when we are merely providing arguments, comparisons and being openminded. Just stop..

I think the main problem is sentimentality. Some people, apparently, are attached to the word "handheld" to mean something more exclusive than what it actually means and end up gatekeeping the word--ignoring centuries of use and actual meaning. It's like how older people have trouble adapting. Instead of following the change and understanding the nuance, they recoil hostilely.

Handheld devices are portable and self-contained, they function independently without the need for external connections. Peripherals, like controllers, rely on being connected to a primary device (such as a gaming console) to work as intended.

Here, someone confuses handheld and peripherals as being mutually exclusive. That's stupid. They are not, obviously, as they refer to different aspects of electronic devices.

Interestingly, I am running into a conflict related to defining the PQ as a peripheral, as in the context of a handheld streaming device relying on a server for content, neither the handheld device nor the server is considered a peripheral to the other.

For someone who doesn't hate dictionaries or the meaning of words, there is a lot more support to PQ being a handheld than there is of it being a peripheral. But, I can see the application of both, as I'm not bigoted about it.

Like I mentioned before, and I thought you agreed, both can be technically accurate descriptions, but colloquially in the context of console gaming, the PQ does deviate from it.

Let me know if I missed something.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I think the main problem is sentimentality. Some people, apparently, are attached to the word "handheld" to mean something more exclusive than what it actually means and end up gatekeeping the word--ignoring centuries of use and actual meaning. It's like how older people have trouble adapting. Instead of following the change and understanding the nuance, the recoil hostilely.

Here, someone confuses handheld and peripherals as being mutually exclusive. That's stupid. They are not, obviously, as they refer to different aspects of electronic devices.

Interestingly, I am running into a conflict related to defining the PQ as a peripheral, as in the context of a handheld streaming device relying on a server for content, neither the handheld device nor the server is considered a peripheral to the other.

For someone who doesn't hate dictionaries or the meaning of words, there is a lot more support to PQ being a handheld than there is of it being a peripheral. But, I can see the application of both, as I'm not bigoted about it.

Like I mentioned before, and I thought you agreed, both can be technically accurate descriptions, but colloquially in the context of console gaming, the PQ does deviate from it.

Let me know if I missed something.

Well I am actually not entirely sure about the definition of a gaming console, I think I am leaning in the direction that a game console is a system running it's own software and games.

Do I think a streaming device could be a game console? well maybe yes.
Imagine something like if Google Stadia had bunch of exclusive titles and the service was only accessible on their own handheld device. Yes I think that would qualify as a game console.
But would it be the streaming servers that is the console, the handheld client or the combination of the two? I am not so sure. I think it would make most sense to call the servers the actual console as that is where the computation is happening.

That's why I am not sure it qualifies as a handheld video game console. However, I can say that I am certain that it's a handheld video game device (Which is a much broader term).

Look up the word console for definitions and it gets confusing.

"an electronic system that connects to a display (as a TV set) and is used to play video games"
"a panel or cabinet with dials and switches for controlling an electronic or mechanical device"
"a surface or device with controls for electronicequipment, a vehicle, etc.:"
"a piece of electronic equipment for playing computergames"
"Also called game(s) console, gaming console, video game console . a computer system specially made for playing video games by connecting it to a television or other display for video and sound."

None of these definitions specifically mentions where the computation needs to happen.
Just that it's is used to play videogames.

So are you right in that this qualifies as a handheld game console? Well maybe, I am not entirely sure.
I think we need new and more clear definitions of this.

Last edited by DaniPoo,
Reactions: tabzer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto