Sony Project Q handheld video leaked; shows its Android-powered OS

F1n-SZKX0AAPzci.jpeg

After announcing Project Q in May, their next gaming handheld aimed at streaming PS5 games in May, Sony didn't provide much details about this system except for a glimpse at its hardware. Well, that’s the official case as unofficially, there has recently been a leaked video that provides a closer look at the device’s hardware as well as software. The news was shared by Twitter user @Zuby_Tech:

While in low resolution, we can see from the video that the device’s OS, clearly an early and unpolished version, is Android-based. We can see a familiar Android launcher/app drawer, navigation buttons as well as some Android test apps. A “QC Test” app apparently indicates that the handheld packs a Snapdragon chip.

Based on the video, it appears that the handheld - likely a prototype - is also a single unit, as opposed to having detachable controllers like the Switch. In a separate tweet, Zuby_Tech also shared some additional pictures of the device, including one with the screen module remove and exposing part of the device’s innards:

F1n-SnhXwAEGYkj.jpeg

F1n-ShPXsAANACM.jpeg F1n-SZKX0AAPzci.jpeg

As these are unofficial videos, you might want to take this news with a pinch of salt but considering that the device will run on a version of Android, it suggests that it could be used for more than just streaming PS5 games. Options could range from cloud gaming to official emulators to loading unofficial emulator APKs; but its potentials will depend on its specs and we'll have to wait for the official word from Sony.

What do you think of the Project Q? Are you looking forward to this handheld?

:arrow: SOURCE

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it doesn't...

Now you want to devolve this into a childish "yes it does" and "no it doesn't" back and forth like Bladexdsl was having? Not going there.

It's a streaming device, a peripheral for the PS5 that will allow people to stream their games to the controller using Wifi.

The burden of proof is on you.

Actually, all your arguments are "Because I said so" and "You make it all up"

No, you wish I was doing that. Read the last sentence above.

Last edited by raging_chaos,

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Now you want to devolve this into a childish "yes it does" and "no it doesn't" back and forth like Bladexdsl was having? Not going there.

It's a streaming device, a peripheral for the PS5 that will allow people to stream their games to the controller using Wifi.

The burden of proof is on you.

And you are just repeating the same statement over and over without any good arguments for why.

If it's a device you use for playing games then it's a gaming device.
You hold it in your hand so it is also a handheld device. Is it also a streaming device? Yes because you stream games to it!
Is it a game console? From what we currently know NO.

Handheld gaming device: YES
Streaming device: YES
Peripheral: YES
Console: NO

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You've just shown how weak your stance is that you feel the need to attack and lash out with insults, that's a brain running out of ideas and resorting to tired online tactics.

I'm sorry if you fail to recognize this. But that's exactly what you did, and I called you out for it. You are echoing exactly what I said, because your brain ran out of ideas. :P

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get that this is the useless semantics argument that you're going to keep falling back on and I'm going to keep repeating the same answer because I'm not letting you move the goal point.

You're failing to understand that it does not change SONY's press release and that this is a peripheral for the PS5 that will allow people to stream their games to the controller using Wifi.

Handheld gaming device: YES

Wrong. You want to redefine what "handheld gaming device" means by focusing entirely on the word handheld. This is a streaming device, a peripheral to the PS5. It does not work without a PS5 in the picture. It is not a standalone gaming device.

It is not a 'handheld gaming device' (PSP/VITA) and you've fallen for clickbait headlines or misunderstood them if you think otherwise. You're trying to redefine a generic umbrella term to prove a useless point, it doesn't work that way.

I'm sorry if you fail to recognize this. because your brain ran out of ideas. :P

There's "tired online tactic #2". Next.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
it still implies devices like the PSP/Vita

It only did that because those were the only obvious options. Now we have the PSQ. It literally stretches the definition.

peripheral

Did you know that could mean mouse, keyboard, camera, or gaming device? That's why I thought it was funny that you claimed "peripheral" was a more specific word.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sorry if you fail to recognize this. But that's exactly what you did, and I called you out for it. You are echoing exactly what I said, because your brain ran out of ideas. :P

He is not just echoing what you say but also just repeating himself like a broken record without any arguments the strengthen his statements.
I'm done replying to him it's not worth my time and brain cells.

I suggest you do the same.

Reactions: tabzer

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I get that this is your useless semantics argument that you're going to keep falling back on and I'm going to keep repeating the same answer because I'm not letting you move the goal point.

You're failing to understand that it does not change SONY's press release and that this is a peripheral for the PS5 that will allow people to stream their games to the controller using Wifi.

It is not a handheld gaming device (PSP/VITA) and you've fallen for clickbait headlines or misunderstood them if you think otherwise. You're trying to redefine a generic umbrella term to prove a useless point, it doesn't work that way.
I don't really have the energy to go back and read the back and forth, but in my mind, I'm really hoping it is more than just a peripheral for the PS5, because that would basically be e-waste out of the factory. For this thing to stand a remote chance of being something decent, it needs to be at bare minimum an Android tablet that can do something else. In an ideal world we'd be seeing a whole new handheld system from Sony akin to the Vita, but that just isn't happening.

I'm honestly stoked if it is an Android tablet. It looks ugly as heck, I won't dispute that, but if it's priced well enough then there could be something good there. The Logitech G Cloud was just a streaming device, but ended up being a surprisingly capable system (albeit priced too highly for it to be a viable choice).

Reactions: tabzer

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In an ideal world we'd be seeing a whole new handheld system from Sony akin to the Vita, but that just isn't happening.

Exactly, as is it's an over-engineered peripheral that should probably be a lot more.

you can all stop arguing now :P

That won't stop people from thinking they can blindly argue with facts and PR statements.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Exactly, as is it's an over-engineered peripheral that should probably be a lot more.

That won't stop people from thinking they can blindly argue with facts and PR statements.

I have not argued with any facts or PR statements, if you still says that then you have not read anything I wrote, don't understand what I wrote (Which would be insulting for yourself), or you are just throwing wood on the fire for fun.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But I am curious of how well it will stream, Since that hardware was developed with streaming in mind.
Do you remember OnLive? I streamed games to a PC which wasn't able to play anything new at the time, but the streamed games ran great.

So buying a device to stream games is kinda pointless because almost any can do it. More recently, there's Xbox XCloud and whatever, I don't like streaming games, personally.

Amazon now offers streaming games for its Prime members and no additional hardware is required (unless that person never owned a controller before and has to buy one).

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not argued with any facts or PR statements I don't understand what I wrote (Which would be insulting for yourself), or you are just throwing wood on the fire for fun.
Now you're creating a narrative.

You said, "It's a handheld gaming device, But not a handheld game console". Firstly, those are interchangeable terms, especially in general discussions about portable gaming devices. Secondly, it's a peripheral like the Wii U controller, not a "handheld gaming device" like the SteamDeck. Want to say it is? Well, Sony says otherwise.

This is not a traditional "handheld" as we've always known them to be and I'm not the only person that has this point of view about it being misleading labeling it as such. The only difference is I'm not crapping on Sony.

The title is misleading. If the device is not standalone can't be considered a handheld console by itself. Even less when you can do the very same thing using a smartphone.

Sony is the most crappiest copycat of them all.

The device's name should be "Project Qrap".

https://gbatemp.net/threads/sony-an...d-its-streaming-oriented.633490/post-10170650

I agree that it is misleading if it is not a standalone console. It is a peripheral that will be used to stream PS5 games over Wifi. The choice of words used leaves no room for confusion.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is not a traditional "handheld" as we've always known them to be and I'm not the only person that has this point of view about it being misleading labeling it as such. The only difference is I'm not crapping on Sony.
It's not the first,

https://www.logitechg.com/en-gb/products/cloud-gaming/cloud-handheld-gaming.940-000200.html

Anyone refusing to say project q is a "game streaming handheld" is a troll

If it's going to be cheap then I think it's interesting. Otherwise you may as well buy another TV as it's not particularly portable.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone refusing to say project q is a "game streaming handheld" is a troll

That's exactly how this snowballed, people refusing to accept it's for streaming PS5 games (Backbone One) and not a new Vita.

Otherwise you may as well buy another TV as it's not particularly portable.

Or a 1440p/4K portable monitor you could literally set up anywhere.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A PS5+monitor isn't really any more portable.

I don't believe there is a market for portable PS5 gaming.
Might as well just buy a SteamDeck/ROG since the PS5 console exclusives are ported to PC.

Now, while Nintendo games are emulated on PC, they're not officially ported by Nintendo so they still have a reason to have their own console (even though it's technically inferior to Xbox/PS).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto