Alleged new PS5 model surfaces online with slimmer profile and removable disc drive

new ps5.jpg

After a video of its upcoming Project Q handheld was leaked, another Sony gaming hardware has apparently leaked, this time it's an alleged new PS5 model. The first images of the PlayStation 5 (CFI-2016) "Slim" model appeared on a Chinese forum and was followed up by a video showing the casing of the model.

The video was uploaded by Twitter user Better Way Electronics who said in a follow up tweet that the new model is thinner but also that the case's SKU does not have A or B (Disc/Digital), as is the case with the current PS5 model. This could mean that the alleged CFI-2016 PS5 model could feature a removeable disk drive, which could be sold separately or as a bundle with the console.

Such a PS5 model was reported to be in the works for a September 2023 release by Insider Gaming and in a recent court hearing, Microsoft said that it expects Sony to release a slimmer PS5 model this year that will cost $400 as the current PS5 Digital Edition does. So maybe these could have been referring to this allegedly leaked CFI-2016 PS5 model.

However, these news and leaks have to be taking with a measure of salt as new PS5 models have not been confirmed by Sony. But do you think Sony will release a new PS5 model this year?

:arrow: SOURCE

krzys4x

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
MAYBE ITS DEVKIT OR PRO
Post automatically merged:

i DONT GIVE A SHIT ITS YES PS5 SLIM OR NOT THE IMPORTANT THE PRICE IF 300 COSTS

Last edited by krzys4x,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
wonder if they'll add a not so random size SSD (that you can actually change instead of the overpriced .m2 modules with heat sinks)
Having the option to replace internal storage would be good for serviceability and longevity, but I don’t expect that to come to pass - their implementation is custom and not cross-compatible with what’s available on the market. From what I’ve gathered, the arrangement uses a 12-channel interface, so it can either be 825GB (rounded) or double that, nothing in-between would work without a substantial rework.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7133...-with-custom-12-channel-controller/index.html

It’s 6 chips with 2 planes each, so they populate all 12 channels. The size isn’t so much random as it is the maximum this controller supports without stepping up on the NAND chips themselves.

https://www.techpowerup.com/ssd-specs/sony-ps5-ssd-825-gb.d751

By doing this Sony managed to hit unprecedented speeds at the time of release, but restricted themselves in terms of possibilities for expansion, given the price of NAND. That being said, prices are dropping gradually.

As for the M.2’s, how are they overpriced? They’re the same drives you’d use in a desktop PC, the console will happily accept any Gen 4 drive that passes the speed test. Are you under the impression that you can only use the PS5-certified ones? You don’t, those are just the ones Sony selected for internal testing. I’ve been running all my stuff from an SSD for the last couple of weeks myself in the interest of keeping the soldered memory healthy for years to come, but realistically that’s not necessary unless you’re in the habit of overwriting data frequently.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
yeah sony's certified ones are overpriced almost $900 for 4tb (last time i checked on amazon) then again amazon pretty much overprices anything
Not sure why you’d want 4TB in your PS5, but I’ve been running a 1TB WD SN850 for a while now since they recently got a hefty price cut and they’re competitively priced per GB. Like I said, any Gen 4 that meets Sony’s spec will work, but I do recommend ones that come with heatsinks as the drive bay does get pretty toasty - if not a pre-installed ones then get a cheapy one and install it yourself. I’d also be very careful about getting solid state storage from eBay, Amazon or any storefront that allows any random Joe to put their listings up - I’ve heard some real horror stories about used drives or straight-up counterfeit copies. Be sure that what you’re buying is the real deal. If the price is too good to be true, it probably isn’t.

EDIT: If you really want 4TB, the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus is PS5 compatible out of the box, 4TB in capacity, comes with a flat PS5-compatible heatsink and it’s currently £329.99 from Sabrent via Amazon. That $900 must’ve been some kind of placeholder, that’s an insane price tag. Sabrent are some of the best in the biz as far as reliability and performance is concerned, the company really made a splash with their M.2’s.

BE344A7D-8DA1-449F-944F-EBB52387ECAE.jpeg

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why you’d want 4TB in your PS5, but I’ve been running a 1TB WD SN850 for a while now since they recently got a hefty price cut and they’re competitively priced per GB. Like I said, any Gen 4 that meets Sony’s spec will work, but I do recommend ones that come with heatsinks as the drive bay does get pretty toasty - if not a pre-installed ones then get a cheapy one and install it yourself. I’d also be very careful about getting solid state storage from eBay, Amazon or any storefront that allows any random Joe to put their listings up - I’ve heard some real horror stories about used drives or straight-up counterfeit copies. Be sure that what you’re buying is the real deal. If the price is too good to be true, it probably isn’t.

EDIT: If you really want 4TB, the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus is PS5 compatible out of the box, 4TB in capacity, comes with a flat PS5-compatible heatsink and it’s currently £329.99 from Sabrent via Amazon. That $900 must’ve been some kind of placeholder, that’s an insane price tag. Sabrent are some of the best in the biz as far as reliability and performance is concerned, the company really made a splash with their M.2’s.

View attachment 388569
I have the all digital cause it was in my budget that's why, I saddly don't have a job cause i'm on disability which prevents you from working at all

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have the all digital cause it was in my budget that's why, I saddly don't have a job cause i'm on disability which prevents you from working at all
Ah, the digital edition, that makes more sense. Well, for better or worse, I can wholeheartedly recommend Sabrent, they’re actually more highly regarded and score higher on long-term performance and reliability tests than Samsung does, and they used to be kings of SSD’s. That heatsink is also very good because it replaced the standard bay cover which does “choke” the SSD a bit in terms of thermals, so if anything, be on the lookout for one once you save up a bit. As far as low cost solutions go, what I normally recommend is moving all of your PS4 content onto a normal, cheap, “spinning rust” hard drive to conserve the precious internal memory that’s in short supply on the base model and reserve that fast storage for PS5-specific content. Hope things work out for you, my guy.

trepp0

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Looks more like a model than a finished product, and barely a replacement cover at most.
A normal PS5 with a disk drive is too heavy to handle with your wrist alone and this could easily be a fake.

Not saying it's not based on real future designs but it doesn't even look slimmer or smaller than the current model to begin with.
I dont think this is a populated case atm, it seems to just be the shell because you can see that it is hollow on the inside.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto