Sony announces new PlayStation 5 model, offers detachable disc drive for digital consoles

dsadsadasd.png

As the rumors foretold, Sony has announced a slimmer PlayStation 5 console for this upcoming holiday season. Marketed as "the new PS5 model", this version of the system is 30% smaller than the original PS5, while weighing 18-24% less, with a 1TB internal SSD. It also has four side panels as opposed to the launch PS5's two, meaning the previous official cover plates will not fit. The new PS5 with a disc drive will retail for $499.99/549.99 EUR, while the Digital Edition will be priced slightly cheaper at $449.99/449.99 EUR. Those with a new Digital Edition console will also have the opportunity to upgrade to a detachable disc drive for their system, for an extra $79.99.

The new PS5 launches this November, and will be the default PlayStation 5 model going forward.

:arrow: Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If PS5 has an update to make DriveClub even better then that's cool, otherwise... Most games are just everywhere else.

Ratchet and Clank: The Movie The Game isn't, though.
Ghost of Tsushima. Only reason I keep my PS5 at this point is to play my PS4 library. Wish Sony would start taking risks with AA games again, like Katamari, Gravity Rush, Parappa, etc.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ghost of Tsushima. Only reason I keep my PS5 at this point is to play my PS4 library. Wish Sony would start taking risks with AA games again, like Katamari, Gravity Rush, Parappa, etc.
I've been waiting for a new The Getaway and a MotorStorm... Time to give up.

Reactions: Payne and Xzi

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be fair, the PS5 usually has the best version of most games at launch. PC ports are regularly broken or lacking basic features and Xbox versions seem to perform slightly worse than PS5 even though the hardware is better.

Reactions: tabzer

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I wonder how they will implement anti piracy measures going forward here given they are paired usually to each system (the DVD drive) May be worthwhile looking into it further now. Possibly like the old 360 days
that drive is 100% getting hacked. this move will bite sony in the ass in the end.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
PC ports are regularly broken or lacking basic features
Only recent examples I can think of would be UE5 games, and that's largely because the engine is half-baked and not ready for release. It performs better on PS5 because it upscales from like 720p, and ends up looking a lot uglier than UE4 as a result.

jaysea

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
so they are releasing a digital only version with the ability to install a disk drive in and it costs more all together than just buying the disc version! no wonder jim is retiring his gone senile!
European prices would be less, but I guess that is a typo: 449,99 + 79,99 < 549,99

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
I saw this new PS5 Slim type on GameSpot website. It said don't have NVMe slot for SSD? News give us confuse about lack NVMe slot for SSD. Puzzle us. :unsure:

I think PS5 Pro will come next year 2024. I not sure if PS5 Pro will have two NVMe slots on motherboard to allow us to store a lot of PS4 and PS5 games library on them. It's would be amazing to have bigger collection of games library. B-)

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw this new PS5 Slim type on GameSpot website. It said don't have NVMe slot for SSD? News give us confuse about lack NVMe slot for SSD. Puzzle us. :unsure:

I think PS5 Pro will come next year 2024. I not sure if PS5 Pro will have two NVMe slots on motherboard to allow us to store a lot of PS4 and PS5 games library on them. It's would be amazing to have bigger collection of games library. B-)
Slim? It's just about 30% smaller so hardly slimmer.

AA1hZxt7.img

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/shopping/the-slim-ps5-is-still-huge/ar-AA1hZKkM[/IMG]

Reactions: console

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by console,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wonder if this PS5 "Slim" will be hackable in the near future. Maybe via the add-on Blu-ray Player.

If I did buy a PS5, I'd just keep playing PS4 games, anyway. 😆

Reactions: console

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If I did buy a PS5, I'd just keep playing PS4 games, anyway. 😆

That is basically it's function. And it was worth it imo. New exclusives are just desserts.

This thread looks like a bunch of people secretly want one while they complain about it.

Last edited by tabzer,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Exclusives? Hardly any anymore, but it's fine.
I still call timed-exclusives exclusives, because I'll be on something else by the time other platforms have a chance. I'm not going to wait a year to delay my gratification of playing Final Fantasy or Spider-man. As much as he whines, even @Bladexdsl recognizes value in being first--though "access" might be a bit above that.

On the other hand, we can argue that the promises of emulation and the future rendered exclusives irrelevant before it became it became a term.

adamsef

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I went off everything PlayStation around ps3 era
Ps1 and ps2 were fantastic little machines..
But when it come to playing online Xbox won by a country mile.
PSN was laggy and lonely
Xbox live was fun making friends and breaking friends every day a laugh a minute

I did purchase a ps4 it was good for single player long lonely games and as the beautiful sweet brown once told us “ain’t no body got time for that!!”
So i ran back to my Xbox and havnt looked back
I have zero desire for the Spider truismo god of war Man station with detachable blu ray drives

patters

Trophies
XP
Country
3 years into the lifecycle and still no compelling new games that would make it a must-buy. Only tired sequels. :ninja:
Even the last GTA game was released during the Xbox 360/PS3 era.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3 years into the lifecycle and still no compelling new games that would make it a must-buy. Only tired sequels. :ninja:
Even the last GTA game was released during the Xbox 360/PS3 era.
There's even no new GTA.

This console generation is dry as hell and I'm still waiting for PS5 to "finally takeoff" which doesn't look like it will. It's just relying on PS4 and newer PS5 games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch