PlayStation 5 "Slim" teardown shows off size comparison to the original console

The upcoming PlayStation 5 revision is due out this month, and while it isn't officially called the PlayStation 5 "slim" like previous PlayStation iterations have, it does indeed boast a smaller, slimmer form factor. Tech influencer Dave2D was provided with an early unit, to showcase just how different the new PlayStation 5 is from the original. In the video, the console is taken apart, to display not only the appearance of the system, but also the internals, such as the new removable disc drive, different vents, and changes to the motherboard. Sony's new PlayStation 5 will be out before the end of the month, with a retail price of $499.99.

JGSM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did anyone publish a size comparison between the PS5 slim and PS4 models? I don't have a PS5. Knowing how smaller the PS5 slim is versus the PS5 phat won't help me...

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.my question still stands.

Data miners from the first of the ps5 exploits claim they found a functional ps2 emulator in the firmware, disabled by default. Can that be turned on with a jailbroken console?

Reactions: osaka35

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the glossy shit makes it look like a cheap pirated Chinese console. I'm disappointed because I didn't even expect it to be this bad.

Also, can someone confirm here if you need to be connected to the internet to set up this PS5 "Slim" for the first time?

drazenm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is everything new more and more 💩 built, quality?

Not here for console wars nor sides but Xbox consoles are tank quality, don't cut corners on materials. Sony was always a cheap Ho, always. I'm pretty sure cooling on this one is disastrous, maybe not if they've sacrificed on performance, graphics.

Update, just watched the video and it's as I said, cheap as cheap can be, 85% is sweet, sweet melting, recycled, flaming plastic, go plastic!!!

Built just enough to survive in most cases the warranty period. Few months it expires, boom, error! Death! 🥴
🥰

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not here for console wars nor sides but Xbox consoles are tank quality, don't cut corners on materials. Sony was always a cheap Ho, always. I'm pretty sure cooling on this one is disastrous, maybe not if they've sacrificed on performance, graphics.

Update, just watched the video and it's as I said, cheap as cheap can be, 85% is sweet, sweet melting, recycled, flaming plastic, go plastic!!!

Built just enough to survive in most cases the warranty period. Few months it expires, boom, error! Death! 🥴
🥰
Sony has decided to port their PlayStation exclusives to PC and that's a customer-friendly decision which I fully appreciate, but now there's hardly any point to buying one.

Just seeing how the "Slim" model is and looks I'm not buying it. Nope, it looks cheap.

Reactions: k7ra

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no idea who this youtuber is, but yeah. no die shrink (so no power savings), just smaller form and one 5bgps usb replaced with a 10gbps usb. The fact it's more expensive, especially with the extra disc drive and stand shenanigans, means it's a hard pass for me.

tommasi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

🥰
Because b1tches will wine and dumb parents will buy

Reactions: drazenm

ZeroT21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

🥰
I still remember chucking out 3 xbox 360s out the window just because of that dreadfull RROD crap. Never buying a xbox console ever again. Worse crap console I ever used. I'll stick to Playstations and PC

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still remember chucking out 3 xbox 360s out the window just because of that dreadfull RROD crap. Never buying a xbox console ever again. Worse crap console I ever used. I'll stick to Playstations and PC
My Xbox 360 S from 2012 (I think) is still going strong, but I believe you as there were A LOT that went faulty.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Series s has been wonderful I remember consoles being $400 as an only option MSRP which was just las gen. The fact Xbox gives us cheaper midrange options is a well welcomed experience and when it comes to high priced gadgets it will always be more than you actually need. The only advantage Sony has given this generation is ease of SSD upgrades. Also a well welcomed change but it's been that way since ps2 with the options for storage upgrades and price per storage was just outrageous back then.

Ps3, had the dreaded rrod also with phat models then they released a totally well better cooled slim model. Same with Xbox, I still have my slim 360 I purchased years ago. Sony technically didn't lie about its model being "slim" it is, however the entire community was expecting a redesign and best they came up with was a lol you wanted it smaller. Series s basically is the slim and a way smaller footprint than the X with decent cooling.

If Sony pulled the same moves as Microsoft it would probably be a well balanced fight this generation. Microsoft just needs to take note on storage expansion from Sony which is funny to say now cause the PSP days. Even back in 360 days Microsoft was charging stupid price for storage expansion. I'm not even talking game ports here there are still hardcore players that go with a console based on how well they like a controller as well.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A big ugly console, that got only a tad bit smaller, with only a few exclusives. I still see no reason to buy a PS5. It amazes me that not only did Sony make a console more fugly than the Xbone VCR, but probably the most fugly console imo ever.

ZeroT21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Series s has been wonderful I remember consoles being $400 as an only option MSRP which was just las gen. The fact Xbox gives us cheaper midrange options is a well welcomed experience and when it comes to high priced gadgets it will always be more than you actually need. The only advantage Sony has given this generation is ease of SSD upgrades. Also a well welcomed change but it's been that way since ps2 with the options for storage upgrades and price per storage was just outrageous back then.

Ps3, had the dreaded rrod also with phat models then they released a totally well better cooled slim model. Same with Xbox, I still have my slim 360 I purchased years ago. Sony technically didn't lie about its model being "slim" it is, however the entire community was expecting a redesign and best they came up with was a lol you wanted it smaller. Series s basically is the slim and a way smaller footprint than the X with decent cooling.

If Sony pulled the same moves as Microsoft it would probably be a well balanced fight this generation. Microsoft just needs to take note on storage expansion from Sony which is funny to say now cause the PSP days. Even back in 360 days Microsoft was charging stupid price for storage expansion. I'm not even talking game ports here there are still hardcore players that go with a console based on how well they like a controller as well.
I understand that electronic hardware always have some degree of failure over time, but a 3rd time was too much for me. You ain't gonna convince me even if I have to fork over 3x as much for the competitor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Gotta catch em all lol