Sony announces new PlayStation 5 model, offers detachable disc drive for digital consoles

dsadsadasd.png

As the rumors foretold, Sony has announced a slimmer PlayStation 5 console for this upcoming holiday season. Marketed as "the new PS5 model", this version of the system is 30% smaller than the original PS5, while weighing 18-24% less, with a 1TB internal SSD. It also has four side panels as opposed to the launch PS5's two, meaning the previous official cover plates will not fit. The new PS5 with a disc drive will retail for $499.99/549.99 EUR, while the Digital Edition will be priced slightly cheaper at $449.99/449.99 EUR. Those with a new Digital Edition console will also have the opportunity to upgrade to a detachable disc drive for their system, for an extra $79.99.

The new PS5 launches this November, and will be the default PlayStation 5 model going forward.

:arrow: Source

kb7cxWMSrPwL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Oh hey, an eject button.
Interested to find out how the disk unit connects, plain old USB? If so then it could probably work on the original digital unit too, with an external shell.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're supposed to DROP the price on the console half way during it's life, not RAISE the price, and remove the old console from retail! :/

This console is still a monstrosity! The only decent looking console out is the Series S, and that thing doesn't have a disc drive. :/

xoINARIox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Seems like the new panels are glossy:wacko: ......can't wait when the first ones are annoyed that the part is full of scratches within a few months

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Huh. Are you sure you fellas bought a legit PS5 and not the Soulja Boy 5? I think you were scammed because when I power mine on there are several hundreds of games available in the PS+ section alone, which doesn't even account for any of the other titles not available with PS+.
Okay, and how many of those are actual PS5 games? No PS1, 2, 3 or 4.

Would this new detachable disk drive be able to connect to an older Digital version?
Likely not, given the old Digital model doesn't have the connectors to connect the disk drive.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It is really funny that the digital version plus disk drive is $30 more than the one that comes with a disk drive

Any chance at all you think a 3rd party could manufacture a cheaper one? If I had to guess would probably be completely locked down unfortunately
Well, they have to manufacture, transport and sell an extra SKU, it's going to cost more.
Still good that they are giving people the option.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, and how many of those are actual PS5 games? No PS1, 2, 3 or 4.

The persons I quoted said nothing about "actual" PS5 games. So what, you mean games that are not on any other platform whatsoever? Guess what? Xbox, PlayStation, PC, and Switch all have multiplatform titles. Tons of them. Not sure what your or anyone elses point is outside of fanboy-ism bullshit. The "But it haz noe gaems!!" argument is old, worn out, and just plain stupid regardless what platform a person is referring to.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Those with a new Digital Edition console will also have the opportunity to upgrade to a detachable disc drive for their system, for an extra $79.99.

So wait, the new console that's giving out the extra disc drive is going to be much more expensive than the original price with the disc drive already attached to it?

I don't know if I'm getting things right but... Anyways Sony is just showing more proof to me that they aren't the same as what they're used to back then. This is sad.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Demon's Souls. That's literally it unless you count upgraded PS4 games.
If PS5 has an update to make DriveClub even better then that's cool, otherwise... Most games are just everywhere else.

Ratchet and Clank: The Movie The Game isn't, though.

MrQQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder how they will implement anti piracy measures going forward here given they are paired usually to each system (the DVD drive) May be worthwhile looking into it further now. Possibly like the old 360 days

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol