Leak claims a PlayStation 5 Pro will launch later this year

Sony-PS5-Pro-PlayStation-5-Pro.jpg

A YouTuber has leaked some insider paperwork that reveals what future plans Sony has in store for the next PlayStation hardware. The channel Moore's Law Is Dead showcased what are purportedly internal documents directly from PlayStation's developer portal, stating that a PlayStation 5 Pro is allegedly in the works.

According to these papers, Sony aims to have a PS5 Pro--codenamed Trinity--out for the 2024 holiday season, with the system boasting major performance increases over the original PS5. Supposedly, the PlayStation 5 Pro will offer 33.5 teraflops, compared to the PlayStation 5's current 10.28 teraflops, and will utilize Sony's own in-house developed upscaling software, which will provide benefits similar to AMD's FSR or NVIDIA's DLSS, with the potential to upscale up to 8K resolution. Further features are listed below.

• Rendering 45% faster than PS5
  • 2-3x Ray-tracing (x4 in some cases)
  • 33.5 Teraflops
  • PSSR (PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution Upscaling) upscaling/antialiasing solution
  • Support for resolutions up to 8K is planned for future SDK version
  • Custom machine learning architecture
  • AI Accelerator, supporting 300 TOPS of 8 bit computation / 67 TFLOPS of 16-bit floating point

While Moore's Law Is Dead has a hit and miss track record when it comes to leaking accurate information, another reputable outlet for leaks named Insider-Gaming claimed that the information within the video was true, and that Trinity devkits had been sent out to developers as early as September 2023, reiterating the claims of a holiday 2024 launch window for the console.

:arrow: Source: Insider-Gaming
:arrow: Source: Moore's Law is Dead

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You say that, but as of January the console sold 48.93 million units, and we’re gearing up for Easter which is a big gift giving season around the world, so that number will jump by quite a lot. The supply was definitely terrible throughout the pandemic, but I think the long-lasting perception that the product is scarce actually worked out in Sony’s favour because now it’s available everywhere at any time and people still buy it in droves because they’re worried that stocks won’t last.
Oh, i agree. The fact they sold out as soon as they hit the shelves i think was more about not being able to produce them fast enough. Not a bad problem to have for sony or microsoft or nintendo. Chip shortage and other things probably didn't help them meet the increased goals, but they still sold so so well.

All my friends wanted ones but couldn't find them, but i think scalpers were having a field day. They sold so much, but the perception is probably far different than the reality.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Even looking at this from the perspective of someone who has an extensive Steam library if the objective is playing *new* content, there’s still a case to be made for going console, especially if GPU pricing continues to be ridiculous.
Sony's kind of shot themselves in the foot in that regard though, given how new releases have slowed to a trickle. The only current "exclusives" are Demon's Souls, Spider-Man 2 and two Final Fantasy games, three of which we know will be getting a PC release date within the next year. If they're smart they'll announce a Bloodborne remaster and Bloodborne 2 at the same time around PS5 Pro's launch, and make both permanent PS5 exclusives. Gotta keep something for themselves, and a FromSoft IP is cream of the crop.

What you’re saying about Steam also applies to PlayStation - people have extensive libraries of PS4/PS5 games and they’re incentivised to stick to the ecosystem, so that point is moot.
Yes and no. Playstation games are almost all a part of Steam's library, but only a small percentage of Steam's games are part of Playstation's library. Not to mention emulation and backward compatibility outside of Steam. Realistically Sony can never compete on software availability/compatibility, but if they could, they probably wouldn't bother being as competitive in regard to hardware specs.

Last edited by Xzi,

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I don't have a PS5 but considering it, I would get it for:
- Spider Man 2
- Rise of the Ronin (2024)
- Death Stranding 2 (2025)
- GTA 6 (2025), not exclusive but I'd still be glad to play it on the PS5 Pro
- MGS 3 Remake (?)

and maybe Dragons Dogma 2 if any good

Reactions: Xzi

Kitocco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS4 Pro, I could get. Base model was just starting to properly reach 1080p at times, and then 4K burst onto the scene along with VR. Especially advancements in (relatively) affordable, powerful PC parts (GTX 750, RX 580 are key moments in parts).
But this... why? Who even has an 8K TV? The leap from last gen to this one wasn't even that big, and somehow this will make an even smaller leap.

I really liked Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart's use of 45fps to evenly play on 120hz displays, giving a good balance between frames & fidelity. Yet I haven't heard another game do it. And gyro aim STILL isn't standard on the other system with a gyroscope IN the controller. I wish more focus was put into these that improve playability for people instead of this which, if my previous excitement for DLSS & FSR has taught me, WILL be a leverage for further development mismanagement & rushing from executives.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't have a PS5 but considering it, I would get it for:
- Spider Man 2
- Rise of the Ronin (2024)
- Death Stranding 2 (2025)
- GTA 6 (2025), not exclusive but I'd still be glad to play it on the PS5 Pro
- MGS 3 Remake (?)

and maybe Dragons Dogma 2 if any good

Spider-Man 2 will most definitely come to PC as well, same as Death Stranding 2.

I honestly sincerely doubt we will see a PS5 Pro any time soon. The current model of the PS5 was supposed to be a more cost-effective version of the PS5, like the PS3 and 4 Slim were but because of inflation, it simply maintained the PS5 price that has been considerably higher than the PS4 ever was. A PS5 Pro would simply be insanely expensive for a console.

I also think part of the reason Sony is investing on the PC market is because it doesn't expect manufacturing costs to go down soon.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
A midrange PC these days costs $800 or more depending on what you're getting, and whether you even have the peripherals and a Windows license on-hand. Let's not also forget that a PC requires its own dedicated furniture (a desk and a chair) which takes up

1 - You really don't need a Windows license for anything.
2 - You don't need any furniture either. I use my PC connected to the same TV as the PS5/Switch (both of which barely get some use these days), with a wifi kb+mouse.
3 - PS5/XS are definitely more value for your money when considering computational performance.... for gaming, for the few exclusives they even have. You can do SO MUCH MORE with the PC.
4 - Not only piracy is much easier on PC if money is an issue, the many advantages of PC gaming along with much better sales easily overshadow whatever consoles offer (free online, mods, any peripheral, save edit etc.)

There is simply no reason not to buy a PC over a console if you come from scratch other than the sheer convenience of console gaming, which is like its main (only?) advantage atm since the death of true exclusives (games AND experiences).

P.S.: Like many here, my PS5 is just a glorified PS4 Pro+. The day we get a stable PS4 emulator/API conversion, is the day I'm done with (current) consoles for good.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh look, more leaks. We got so many of those for the Switch Pro, but they were all fakes since it never amounted to anything. It's very likely that this is fake as well.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesnt mean much to me. I am doing fine with PS5 original version. It is just a few modified addition to PS5 PRO. Just like PS4 to PS4 pro. Yeah, i am glad that I got my first original version and I'm very happy with it.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"2/3, sometimes 4x Raytracing" sounds nice, but when the software developed for it requires compatibility for the original console then there's not a lot to get excited about. Ditto the AI features. And whilst 33.5 TFLOPS sounds 'omg not bad', the whole tflops thing is becoming less and less relevant these days. The upscaling feature is most interesting here, just to see if it's any good (but again, compatibility). AMD are years behind Nvidia when it comes to cutting edge features, so it'll be interesting to see if Sony can come up with a competitive set of apis whilst using amd hardware and compete or not. But it comes as little surprise to hear nvidia mentioned during future Xbox discussions.

No pricepoint yet.... :lol:
One for the Sony enthusiasts only then, though like Costello said if you're looking forward to GTA6 this will be the best way of playing it for a while.

Gronbar

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Poland
Another era of remasters, of remasters, of remasters? Where are games, Sony?
Post automatically merged:

Just 33.5TFLOPS? That's pretty pathetic considering you can get that by having a mid-range PC... but the PS5 already released with pretty outdated hardware (watered-down Zen 2) when Zen 3 was available, the GPU wasn't even true RDNA2... so yeah, I'm not surprised.
That's not even 45 tflops of 7900 GRE budget gpu king.

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
1 - You really don't need a Windows license for anything.
2 - You don't need any furniture either. I use my PC connected to the same TV as the PS5/Switch (both of which barely get some use these days), with a wifi kb+mouse.
3 - PS5/XS are definitely more value for your money when considering computational performance.... for gaming, for the few exclusives they even have. You can do SO MUCH MORE with the PC.
4 - Not only piracy is much easier on PC if money is an issue, the many advantages of PC gaming along with much better sales easily overshadow whatever consoles offer (free online, mods, any peripheral, save edit etc.)

There is simply no reason not to buy a PC over a console if you come from scratch other than the sheer convenience of console gaming, which is like its main (only?) advantage atm since the death of true exclusives (games AND experiences).

P.S.: Like many here, my PS5 is just a glorified PS4 Pro+. The day we get a stable PS4 emulator/API conversion, is the day I'm done with (current) consoles for good.
So, if PC better - then why they not release PC2?:rofl2:

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
So few must have exclusives for PS5. I feel like I bought it just because if I didn't have it then I'd want it.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My only interest in this, is if it were possible to walk into a shop, take one home, and jailbreak it as quickly as one rooted an early android phone.

It ticks me off, knowing there is a ps2 emulator in the firmwate that Sony chooses not to enable.
Those emulators are rly bad they cant do emulators right since pops on ps2

they are the same emulators that they used on ps3 and ps4
and they never improved or updatet them

another big point is to set up any game its a hassle you need special config files and lua scrips for each game u want to play
and even with those files its wanky af

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People need to stop creating hype and getting sheep to demand pro consoles and just let that console live its life then move onto actual next generation hardware.

Adding more hardware to a family of consoles is stupid, you are never going to benefit anything due to that game having to still support the base version of that family console.

Then when it comes to getting your next gen console, we are not seeing much improvement because we are just getting last gen titles ported with slightly tweak here or there.

Especially when both consoles bragged about Ray tracing yet its piss poor and your crippled with 2 options, output resolution or frame rate, yet in all honesty next to no major differences can be seen above 2k resolution.

Maybe we stop and just let this gen die out and wait for developers to catch up, then release hardware that is true to next gen, can give us 60fps standard, resolution I guess depending on the users display but at least support 4k@60fps, support Ray tracing without having impact on your frame rate and resolution.

Thats what next gen consoles used to be, something superior from the last gen console.

So, no we do not need a pro model and I think tbh the main reason we had pro models to begin with was just to give that little extra we needed for those wanting to game at 4k resolution as it wasn't mainstream when the ps4/xbx1 launched, now every TV is 4k.

And poor nintendo as their switch was already +1gen to the ps4/xbx1, its wii u was the crap console they believed would suffice to rival that gen.

Even tho the switch still cheap hardware wise in comparison, thus failing to hold up nintendos promise of better third party support, their next gen is going to be again cheap subpar hardware to the ps4/xbx1.

So this promise of third party support will only come true but in the form of these third party titles from the past 10+ years ago....

Yet the world keeps this shoddy out dated company in business 🙄

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah they gotta reproduce somehow