Sony announces the release of the PlayStation 5 for Holiday 2020

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Oct 8, 2019.

1. snobbysteven

snobbysteven Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2019
    United States
    Chicago
    If I am Microsoft right now, id just be like screw it. We are calling the next xbox "Xbox 6". Lol. As stupid as it would be, I feel like people who don't know anything would be like hmm this console is "6" and the other is "5". So the "6" must be the newer one.

2. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    So their using 100gb triple layer blu ray. Their writable triple layer version is expensive. i wonder what the cost per triple layer bd-rom is. Also how about tossing a 8tb drive in the console. Have a small sdd for the os and small storage

true hard core PlayStation fans have every PlayStation 1-5 sitting next to each other connected to the same tv.

3. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    I wonder how fast the adoption of 8K TVs are even going to be.

4. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    the playstation boomerang is what they should call it :lol:

5. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    2028 as in theyl promote the 8 :D

6. deSSy2724

deSSy2724 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 11, 2015
    Germany
    Does anyone have the same concerns as me? We all know that SSDs are noticeable more expensive than HDDs and they basically confirmed that PS5 games could be up to 100 GB (if not more with additional game data, patches, DLCs and what not), hell there are even PS3 games with more than 50 GB if you count everything.

Now, what about wear and tear for SSDs? We know that there are limits on how much TB could be written on one single SSD, and we all know that not all games (our own collection) would fit on a single SSD which means and considering the games would be really big it means we would do many re-/writes to the SSD reducing its lifespan.

7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Modern SSD write limits are extremely high, it's incredibly unlikely you'll ever hit the point where the flash starts to degrade, even by end of life of the PS5.

Old Samsung 7xx Evo drives have hit over 1 petabyte of writes before experiencing errors, and some of their old Pro SSDs have actually hit 9.1 Petabytes. Cheapo SSDs probably won't last that long, they usually advertise around 150-200 TB writes, but even those estimates are on the low end seeing as most tests show they'll usually last 2-3x longer than before they are expected to experience unrecoverable errors.

tl;dr you'd have to be completely rewriting the entire SSD (assuming it's 1TB, which it probably is) every single day, non-stop, before killing your SSD. Seeing as that's unlikely, it'll be fine.

8. Hambrew

Hambrew GBAtemp Regular

Oct 9, 2018
    United States
    LETS GO BOIS! 5TH CONSOLE CURSE, SAME AS THE THIRD!

9. Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    I don't have nor have I ever played PS4 so if I buy a new PS should I wait for the PS5 or should I get a PS4, and if so, which one (PS4 Slim 500 GB/1 TB/PS4 Pro 500 GB /1TB)? On average, what's the size of a PS4 game? I recently got started on the PS3 jailbreak scene so I don't know how advanced is the PS4 jailbreak one and if PS4 games (and maybe games for other consoles) can be run from an external HDD (and I don't know if games which require + 5.05 Firmware can be run on CFW). Maybe 1 TB wouldn't be enough (in the PS3's case there are games which can only run from the internal HDD) and I think there's a special 2 TB PS4 Pro version but maybe it's too expensive (then imagine PS5...). Also, I don't have an UHD 4K TV and my TV is 9/10 years old and I don't know if I'll buy one in the next years (so a PS4 Pro would be a waste and even an UHD 4K TV for PS5, I guess) I'll buy one and it looks like PS5 will support 8K... Is it getting increasingly hard to jailbreak PS? Maybe when I'm waiting for a more recent PS4 jailbreak a jailbreak for PS5 is out or maybe not even that and it would be better if I simply buy the PS4 games for PS4 and forget about the jailbreak. Are there any advantages when buying a new PS when it's successor is almost released or is already released?

10. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2019
    United States
    8k 120fps and Ray tracing wow this totally doesn't seem like bullshit seems totally legit even though even the most top tier PC's can't handle 8k and Ray tracing
    ... Just get a switch and a gaming pc

Bladexdsl likes this.
  11. GilgameshArcher

GilgameshArcher GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 1, 2012
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    yes, ps3 GPU was based on Chip NV47

AssemblerX86 likes this.
  12. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Sony stamp their own discs. As UHD has been out a while, it's probably little different to how much it cost them to make a PS4 disc.

13. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Yeah but as the M.2 prices drop the Sata SSD also drops and the thing is in terms of physical size the Sata doesn't have much limitation depending is on the socket of the console it self since some ppl might still decide to go with like HDD and the bigger size ones are heavier and have more weight in them...

But I'd really wished they would go with Sata III with user replaceable like since PS3, a 1TB SSD Sata III the cheapest ones are now around 100$...
    Yep true and some company, don't know if its samsung just announced new stuff wich will have almost no degradation at all, anyway I'm still using a old A-Data 128GB SSD in my PC just for the OS and still keeps going strong and its not even close to be a long lasting one like the latest ones, but I will continue using it for the OS only (I always have close to 80GB free in it since its just for the OS, don't even care for something faster, but definitely on my next build I would go for a low capacity cheap fast m.2 with NVME just for the OS and will eventually buy a bigger Sata SSD for games on my next PC, for now all my games are on a fast Sata III Seagate HDD and not much problems with it other than the bigger loading times, but don't have problems with things disappearing at high speed like the slower HDD's, anyway I don't think I will buy a HDD anymore)...

And anyway prices keep coming down, some day will be the 2TB at around 100$, I think it will probably get to a point where HDD's will simply disappear from the market even though we are still far from it...

Also in mSD which matters a lot for like the switch the 1TB have already been released a few time ago which is supposedly the max Switch can take, its still very expensive, but some day we will be able to finally get it and have a huge Switch library on-the-go with the nail size mSD...

Back in the PS4, a HDD wasn't much cheaper than a current cheaper Sata SSD, like I bought the 500GB PS4 back then and ended up paying more than 70€ for a internal 2.5 1TB Seagate HDD, now a 1TB SSD is around 100€ the cheapest ones here, so it's not a HUGE gap and sony can definitely get them way cheaper and they can also manufacturer their own if they want since they do make mSD\SD and other storage stuff, or at least sell them with Sony brand on it even though I'm not 100% sure if Sony really produces them...

Last edited by guily6669, Oct 11, 2019
  14. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    8k, ray-tracing and 120 fps so does it have a TITAN in it? ps5 price tag: $1800! if not than no way in hell will it even come close to achieving any of that because that's the only way it's going to be able to cut it. dream on sony :rofl:

15. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    I still don't even have 4K. I may still get a PS5 at or near launch as my PS4 is having some issues, but since this is so close and with the backward compatibility, it's probably a waste of resources to replace it now.

16. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Yep wil hav all tht and be priced between 400 450 dollars hail sony

17. DoggaDude

DoggaDude Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2019
    United States
    I hope this console plays PS4 games. If not, I HAVE TO START MY WHOLE COLLECTION! It would be extreme If the PS5 could not only play PS5 and PS4 games, but PS3 games as well, THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! But still, with new, cool, and amazing features, Sony Is still gonna sell it for like $1,000.

18. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom