Leak claims a PlayStation 5 Pro will launch later this year

Sony-PS5-Pro-PlayStation-5-Pro.jpg

A YouTuber has leaked some insider paperwork that reveals what future plans Sony has in store for the next PlayStation hardware. The channel Moore's Law Is Dead showcased what are purportedly internal documents directly from PlayStation's developer portal, stating that a PlayStation 5 Pro is allegedly in the works.

According to these papers, Sony aims to have a PS5 Pro--codenamed Trinity--out for the 2024 holiday season, with the system boasting major performance increases over the original PS5. Supposedly, the PlayStation 5 Pro will offer 33.5 teraflops, compared to the PlayStation 5's current 10.28 teraflops, and will utilize Sony's own in-house developed upscaling software, which will provide benefits similar to AMD's FSR or NVIDIA's DLSS, with the potential to upscale up to 8K resolution. Further features are listed below.

• Rendering 45% faster than PS5
  • 2-3x Ray-tracing (x4 in some cases)
  • 33.5 Teraflops
  • PSSR (PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution Upscaling) upscaling/antialiasing solution
  • Support for resolutions up to 8K is planned for future SDK version
  • Custom machine learning architecture
  • AI Accelerator, supporting 300 TOPS of 8 bit computation / 67 TFLOPS of 16-bit floating point

While Moore's Law Is Dead has a hit and miss track record when it comes to leaking accurate information, another reputable outlet for leaks named Insider-Gaming claimed that the information within the video was true, and that Trinity devkits had been sent out to developers as early as September 2023, reiterating the claims of a holiday 2024 launch window for the console.

:arrow: Source: Insider-Gaming
:arrow: Source: Moore's Law is Dead

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't really feel like Mario has to be 4k60fps to enjoy it.
True, but clearly even Nintendo is struggling with the limitations of their own hardware when you look at an example like TotK. Very noticeable frame rate and resolution drops even while in docked mode, and there's not a lot of wiggle room underneath when its baseline performance is already 720p and 30 FPS. Goes without saying, but if Nintendo can barely squeeze acceptable performance out of first-party titles, most third-party devs aren't gonna consider ports to be worth the effort at all.

Reactions: CoolMe

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, but clearly even Nintendo is struggling with the limitations of their own hardware when you look at an example like TotK. Very noticeable frame rate and resolution drops even while in docked mode, and there's not a lot of wiggle room underneath when its baseline performance is already 720p and 30 FPS. Goes without saying, but if Nintendo can barely squeeze acceptable performance out of first-party titles, most third-party devs aren't gonna consider ports to be worth the effort at all.
My guess switch 2 will be on pair with original ps4 hardware that's really all they need.

Reactions: Marc_LFD and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
My guess switch 2 will be on pair with original ps4 hardware that's really all they need.
Let's hope. If it's not at least 3/4ths as powerful as a Steam Deck, it's not worth releasing at all in the current saturated market. Switch had no portable competition whatsoever when it debuted in 2017, so it'll be interesting to see how adaptable Nintendo's strategy is moving forward.

sroemr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Until you can legally purchase Nintendo games on Steam Deck, there is plenty of reason to release it.

So tired of the "bUt MaH gRaPhIcS" crowd. It's so, so tiring.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
gaming just keeps getting worse and worse soon there wil be no games on either of them except lame cheap pixel indies and mobile ports
That's a bit melodramatic. It's always been a select few AAA developers capable of pushing the limits of both graphical fidelity AND enjoyable/engaging gameplay, but they are still out there. Elden Ring, Baldur's Gate 3, Monster Hunter World, and Like a Dragon are all good examples. Also hoping Dragon's Dogma 2, Sand Land, and STALKER 2 live up to that standard as well.

Until you can legally purchase Nintendo games on Steam Deck, there is plenty of reason to release it.

So tired of the "bUt MaH gRaPhIcS" crowd. It's so, so tiring.
Being unable to legally purchase Nintendo games on any other platform is a Nintendo problem. No point in getting mad at people for taking matters into their own hands, piracy remains a service issue as always.

Graphical fidelity also isn't near as much a concern as acceptable frame rates. 60 FPS at 1080p upscaled from 720p is not too much to ask for, and a locked 30 FPS should absolutely be considered the bare minimum.

Last edited by Xzi,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I wouldn't exactly say that an RTX 3090 or better is "mid-range." 33TFLOPS will get you a locked 60 FPS at 4K, at least, which is probably the baseline Sony was looking to reach. Won't surprise me if MSRP is even higher than base PS5, though.
Base 4070 is 36 TFLOPs. Definitely mid range as far as where it's positioned in the GPU lineup. But costs as much as an entire PS5, computer hardware generally lags behind consoles on price to performance.

We have just reached the point where you can get the same or slightly better performance from a similarly priced PC. I guess Sony realized that as well, and they want to stay competitive with PCs.

See the recent LTT video:

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Base 4070 is 36 TFLOPs. Definitely mid range as far as where it's positioned in the GPU lineup. But costs as much as an entire PS5, computer hardware generally lags behind consoles on price to performance.

We have just reached the point where you can get the same or slightly better performance from a similarly priced PC. I guess Sony realized that as well, and they want to stay competitive with PCs.

"Mid-range" is fairly subjective given how few people in Steam's hardware survey are using a 3090 or better. Also pretty funny that a 4070 only beats out a 3090 by 1TFLOP, Nvidia has gotten overzealous with their pricing. Regardless, Sony definitely needed to go aggressive with the mid-gen refresh this time around since their games are now being ported to PC. They can't compete on software compatibility, so competing on price-to-performance ratio is a must, and even that won't guarantee the same sort of success they had with PS4.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
"Mid-range" is fairly subjective given how few people in Steam's hardware survey are using a 3090 or better. Also pretty funny that a 4070 only beats out a 3090 by 1TFLOP, Nvidia has gotten overzealous with their pricing. Regardless, Sony definitely needed to go aggressive with the mid-gen refresh this time around since their games are now being ported to PC. They can't compete on software compatibility, so competing on price-to-performance ratio is a must, and even that won't guarantee the same sort of success they had with PS4.
I won't disagree with you that GPU pricing these days is absurd and most people are simply not willing to pay the cost and generally stick with entry level gaming cards (or older used cards) when they want to upgrade.
The GTX 970 was also a midrange card, but it was half the price (or less) of the current offering. That was not even that long ago. No wonder people aren't buying 4070s.
Doesn't change the fact that Nvidia positions it as a midrange card, and is priced accordingly to land right in the middle of their product lineup. Prices have gone up across the board, this is just the world we live in now (as much as I wish it wasn't)
I still hold some hope that prices will return to normalcy in the future. They can't keep rising at this rate, or nobody but extreme enthusiasts will be able to afford new hardware. I don't think Nvidia wants that future either. If nobody is buying new hardware, Nvidia won't make enough cards to benefit from lowered costs of mass production, they'll make less sales, and there won't be enough used cards to go around so used prices will stay high.

TBH, I'd expect a 4070 to be roughly on par with a 3080, that used to be the rule in the past. It being able to compete with the 3090 is kinda impressive. Of course, that's not taking into consideration the crazy amount of VRAM the 3090 has, which is important for some uses. But not as important as you might think (the 4070 Ti, with its paltry 12 GB of VRAM, is very close to the 3090 in AI use cases, which people generally consider to be a use case that needs as much VRAM as you can possibly give it)

Reactions: Xzi

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think the scarcity of it gave the perception it wasn't really out to a lot of folks. A paper launch, though really it was just selling out immediately. Same with Xbox. I wonder how many years it was before you could go into a store and actually just buy one, without keeping close eye on the stock.
You say that, but as of January the console sold 48.93 million units, and we’re gearing up for Easter which is a big gift giving season around the world, so that number will jump by quite a lot. The supply was definitely terrible throughout the pandemic, but I think the long-lasting perception that the product is scarce actually worked out in Sony’s favour because now it’s available everywhere at any time and people still buy it in droves because they’re worried that stocks won’t last.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It’s completely unrealistic to expect any more than what is being offered, the Pro is already trading blows with last year’s unobtanium. People forget that the most popular GPU on Steam as of the moment of writing is the 3060, accounting for nearly 1/10th of users. We can drone about PC Master Race all day long, but we don’t see high end GPU’s until we scroll waaaay down the list, so where is it? To a typical PC user the PS5 was a great value proposition in 2020, and it’s looking like the PS5 Pro will continue to do the same. It’s a complete system with enough power to push 4K 60 FPS, likely leveraging scaling to also allow for raytracing along the way, and if you can get that under a grand, that’s a banger deal.

Reactions: ChronoTrig and Xzi

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My only interest in this, is if it were possible to walk into a shop, take one home, and jailbreak it as quickly as one rooted an early android phone.

It ticks me off, knowing there is a ps2 emulator in the firmwate that Sony chooses not to enable.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

As others have pointed out in the comments of it, that's a quite misleading video for several reasons. And if anything, it shows that the equally priced pc performed worse than the PS5.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
To a typical PC user the PS5 was a great value proposition in 2020, and it’s looking like the PS5 Pro will continue to do the same. It’s a complete system with enough power to push 4K 60 FPS, likely leveraging scaling to also allow for raytracing along the way, and if you can get that under a grand, that’s a banger deal.
Well, a typical PC gamer has already invested hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in to their Steam library. The value proposition gets iffy when you account for needing to re-buy all of those games to get the performance benefits for them. It's a no-brainer if you've got more invested in Sony's ecosystem already, though, or if you're starting fresh and prioritize power over portability.

4K is starting to become ubiquitous, but I'm one of those people who would rather utilize extra power to push higher frame rates at 1440p. Going from 60 FPS to 144 FPS is a far more noticeable improvement than going from 30 to 60.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I still hold some hope that prices will return to normalcy in the future. They can't keep rising at this rate, or nobody but extreme enthusiasts will be able to afford new hardware.
i'm afraid it's not going to get any better. those fucking miners have destroyed the gpu industry. it cost me 4 figures just for my evga 3090 ti ftw3! what i have spent on my new build so far you could buy a fucking used small car instead :wacko:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, a typical PC gamer has already invested hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in to their Steam library. The value proposition gets iffy when you account for needing to re-buy all of those games to get the performance benefits for them. It's a no-brainer if you've got more invested in Sony's ecosystem already, though, or if you're starting fresh and prioritize power over portability.

4K is starting to become ubiquitous, but I'm one of those people who would rather utilize extra power to push higher frame rates at 1440p. Going from 60 FPS to 144 FPS is a far more noticeable improvement than going from 30 to 60.
You say that, but large swathes of the later PS4 library came with PS5 upgrades for free or for a small fee. Even without those the games simply play better on the 5. I fully suspect the PS5 to PS5 Pro transition will not be too dissimilar. I also disagree with the premise - if you’re going through the trouble of upgrading your PC, you’re doing it because you’re beginning to see performance dips, and those affect newer games, not your existing library. Even looking at this from the perspective of someone who has an extensive Steam library if the objective is playing *new* content, there’s still a case to be made for going console, especially if GPU pricing continues to be ridiculous. What you’re saying about Steam also applies to PlayStation - people have extensive libraries of PS4/PS5 games and they’re incentivised to stick to the ecosystem, so that point is moot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGhImEo-u9Y