Alleged new PS5 model surfaces online with slimmer profile and removable disc drive

new ps5.jpg

After a video of its upcoming Project Q handheld was leaked, another Sony gaming hardware has apparently leaked, this time it's an alleged new PS5 model. The first images of the PlayStation 5 (CFI-2016) "Slim" model appeared on a Chinese forum and was followed up by a video showing the casing of the model.

The video was uploaded by Twitter user Better Way Electronics who said in a follow up tweet that the new model is thinner but also that the case's SKU does not have A or B (Disc/Digital), as is the case with the current PS5 model. This could mean that the alleged CFI-2016 PS5 model could feature a removeable disk drive, which could be sold separately or as a bundle with the console.

Such a PS5 model was reported to be in the works for a September 2023 release by Insider Gaming and in a recent court hearing, Microsoft said that it expects Sony to release a slimmer PS5 model this year that will cost $400 as the current PS5 Digital Edition does. So maybe these could have been referring to this allegedly leaked CFI-2016 PS5 model.

However, these news and leaks have to be taking with a measure of salt as new PS5 models have not been confirmed by Sony. But do you think Sony will release a new PS5 model this year?

:arrow: SOURCE

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Looks more like a model than a finished product, and barely a replacement cover at most.
A normal PS5 with a disk drive is too heavy to handle with your wrist alone and this could easily be a fake.

Not saying it's not based on real future designs but it doesn't even look slimmer or smaller than the current model to begin with.

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
What's with Sony and its obsession with disc drives? One PS5 model has no disc drive, one has it, the third has it removable... what's next, the fourth will have a slot for a disc drive that you have to buy separately? The fifth will have 2 disc drives? The sixth will have one disc drive and one slot?

Reactions: tsam2

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What's with Sony and its obsession with disc drives? One PS5 model has no disc drive, one has it, the third has it removable... what's next, the fourth will have a slot for a disc drive that you have to buy separately? The fifth will have 2 disc drives? The sixth will have one disc drive and one slot?
The general idea is to lower the initial price point (no disc drive = $100 saved), incentivise digital sales, simplify the production (one SKU versus two SKU’s) and still give users an upgrade path without resorting to a stupid dongle (see: external 360 HD-DVD drive). The package actually looks kinda seamless, but I’d take the video with a grain of salt - we’ve seen high quality fakes like this before. Good design nonetheless. Gives off strong Dreamcast modem/BBA vibes with how the drive module attaches to the console and matches the shape of the body.

Looks more like a model than a finished product, and barely a replacement cover at most.
A normal PS5 with a disk drive is too heavy to handle with your wrist alone and this could easily be a fake.

Not saying it's not based on real future designs but it doesn't even look slimmer or smaller than the current model to begin with.
The shell is empty. You can see light bleed through the bottom screw hole for the stand as he tilts it. There’s nothing inside.

3DA4160F-B606-4C58-9674-B3ABC779B190.jpeg

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
The general idea is to lower the initial price point (no disc drive = $100 saved), incentivise digital sales, simplify the production (one SKU versus two SKU’s) and still give users an upgrade path without resorting to a stupid dongle (see: external 360 HD-DVD drive). The package actually looks kinda seamless, but I’d take the video with a grain of salt - we’ve seen high quality fakes like this before. Good design nonetheless. Gives off strong Dreamcast modem/BBA vibes with how the drive module attaches to the console and matches the shape of the body.

The shell is empty. You can see light bleed through the bottom screw hole for the stand as he tilts it. There’s nothing inside.

View attachment 387857
Can you delete the original post? It has been proven that it's a fake, no need to keep giving someone who invented a fake console for clicks attention.

Remember this "Nintendo NX"?
79C8685F341324720820182220800_55df1705918.9.0.1711728494610174824.mp4.jpg

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you delete the original post? It has been proven that it's a fake, no need to keep giving someone who invented a fake console for clicks attention.

Remember this "Nintendo NX"?
View attachment 387865
Just curious, where was it proven to be fake?

Also, if this is a fake... what's the point? It barely looks any different than the original model. That's gotta be some of the lamest clout chasing in the gaming rumors world ever if it is indeed fake.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,
Reactions: tabzer

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just curious, where was it proven to be fake?

Also, if this is a fake... what's the point? It barely looks any different than the original model. That's gotta be some of the lamest clout chasing in the gaming rumors world ever if it is indeed fake.
I can’t see anything of the sort either. I only pointed out that it’s an empty shell because it is. You can plainly see there’s nothing inside. :lol:

Reactions: tabzer

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so it's just some idiot with a 3d printer again eh
Nah, you can tell immediately when something is a 3D print job or not, and that is not. I think the reality is that we're probably just looking at a very underwhelming redesign for the PS5. My money says it's a legit shell for the redesign, but can't say for sure.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Nah, you can tell immediately when something is a 3D print job or not, and that is not. I think the reality is that we're probably just looking at a very underwhelming redesign for the PS5. My money says it's a legit shell for the redesign, but can't say for sure.
It could be a prototype shell

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Vacuum forming from glossy sheets of acrylic is fairly simple too, and making ABS look convincing enough for the internal structure just requires some vapour treatment. Frankly, the part that gives this shell some credibility is the print on the bottom - that is less easy to pull off in a convincing manner. It could very well be fake, or it could be a prototype shell - there’s no shortage of shells that contain no internals at all, either to serve as display units or for internal use. I should know - I own several “blank” consoles like this, fake USB ports and all. They’re very common in both retail and prototyping.

YoureALoser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's with you lacking any common sense? Ignorant junk comment that adds nothing to the conversation, literally nothing more than shit post.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto