Sony announces new PlayStation 5 model, offers detachable disc drive for digital consoles

dsadsadasd.png

As the rumors foretold, Sony has announced a slimmer PlayStation 5 console for this upcoming holiday season. Marketed as "the new PS5 model", this version of the system is 30% smaller than the original PS5, while weighing 18-24% less, with a 1TB internal SSD. It also has four side panels as opposed to the launch PS5's two, meaning the previous official cover plates will not fit. The new PS5 with a disc drive will retail for $499.99/549.99 EUR, while the Digital Edition will be priced slightly cheaper at $449.99/449.99 EUR. Those with a new Digital Edition console will also have the opportunity to upgrade to a detachable disc drive for their system, for an extra $79.99.

The new PS5 launches this November, and will be the default PlayStation 5 model going forward.

:arrow: Source

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is really funny that the digital version plus disk drive is $30 more than the one that comes with a disk drive

Any chance at all you think a 3rd party could manufacture a cheaper one? If I had to guess would probably be completely locked down unfortunately

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I realise the PS5 has been a thing for years, but due to the chip shortage and scalping it still feels decently new - it feels a bit soon for a PS5 Slim.

Any chance of a PS5 Pro...?

Reactions: tabzer

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I realise the PS5 has been a thing for years, but due to the chip shortage and scalping it still feels decently new - it feels a bit soon for a PS5 Slim.

Any chance of a PS5 Pro...?
the fact that the PS5 launched 3 years ago is insane

the PS4 had a 7 year life cycle, which means we are almost half way through the PS5's cycle, and the PS6 may be slated for 2027

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the fact that the PS5 launched 3 years ago is insane

the PS4 had a 7 year life cycle, which means we are almost half way through the PS5's cycle, and the PS6 may be slated for 2027
Cause if you think about it, a new PlayStation console comes out around after 6/7 years.

Reactions: zfreeman

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so they are releasing a digital only version with the ability to install a disk drive in and it costs more all together than just buying the disc version! no wonder jim is retiring his gone senile!
I mean that's how this kind of thing is marketed all the time. Save now by buying them together or spend more by buying them separately.

Reactions: tabzer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly really like the attachable disc drive. Not surpised that it costs more to buy the drive seperate if you buy the digital console. It'll also be good in case the drive fails, you can just buy another instead of having to get a new console or get it repaired. Much better than MS, who according to leaked documents, appears to be ditching physical media altogether mid-gen.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Can’t help but notice that the listed internal drive side is 1TB instead of the original’s 825GB, so they gave the new model a bit more than just a diet. Explains the disparity in pricing.

Reactions: Kevbo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1