Alleged new PS5 model surfaces online with slimmer profile and removable disc drive

new ps5.jpg

After a video of its upcoming Project Q handheld was leaked, another Sony gaming hardware has apparently leaked, this time it's an alleged new PS5 model. The first images of the PlayStation 5 (CFI-2016) "Slim" model appeared on a Chinese forum and was followed up by a video showing the casing of the model.

The video was uploaded by Twitter user Better Way Electronics who said in a follow up tweet that the new model is thinner but also that the case's SKU does not have A or B (Disc/Digital), as is the case with the current PS5 model. This could mean that the alleged CFI-2016 PS5 model could feature a removeable disk drive, which could be sold separately or as a bundle with the console.

Such a PS5 model was reported to be in the works for a September 2023 release by Insider Gaming and in a recent court hearing, Microsoft said that it expects Sony to release a slimmer PS5 model this year that will cost $400 as the current PS5 Digital Edition does. So maybe these could have been referring to this allegedly leaked CFI-2016 PS5 model.

However, these news and leaks have to be taking with a measure of salt as new PS5 models have not been confirmed by Sony. But do you think Sony will release a new PS5 model this year?

:arrow: SOURCE

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow! That's awesome!

Have anyone heard about: PS5 consoles overheat

Final Fantasy 16 Is Causing Some PS5s To Overheat & Hard Crash

FF16 game cause PS5 console to crash in this cutscenes

Same affected by Diablo 4 game. Not sure if will affect new PS5 with removable disc drive that would overheat when play Final Fantasy 16 / Diablo 4 game.

I still wait on PS5 Pro to see if can do removable disc drive or not. PS5 Pro should have more thick heat sink than old PS5 and new PS5 with removable disc drive to avoid overheat that affected by Final Fantasy 16 game. Everyone need look up Final Fantasy 16 game overheat PS5 system on internet. Look forward to PS5 Pro next year 2024 for holiday (Between October, November and December). B-)

Last edited by console,
Reactions: tabzer

frozencat

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

After a video of its upcoming Project Q handheld was leaked, another Sony gaming hardware has apparently leaked, this time it's an alleged new PS5 model. The first images of the PlayStation 5 (CFI-2016) "Slim" model appeared on a Chinese forum and was followed up by a video showing the casing of the model.

The video was uploaded by Twitter user Better Way Electronics who said in a follow up tweet that the new model is thinner but also that the case's SKU does not have A or B (Disc/Digital), as is the case with the current PS5 model. This could mean that the alleged CFI-2016 PS5 model could feature a removeable disk drive, which could be sold separately or as a bundle with the console.

Such a PS5 model was reported to be in the works for a September 2023 release by Insider Gaming and in a recent court hearing, Microsoft said that it expects Sony to release a slimmer PS5 model this year that will cost $400 as the current PS5 Digital Edition does. So maybe these could have been referring to this allegedly leaked CFI-2016 PS5 model.

However, these news and leaks have to be taking with a measure of salt as new PS5 models have not been confirmed by Sony. But do you think Sony will release a new PS5 model this year?

:arrow: SOURCE
Im hoping for a cheaper slim model so i can get one

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Wow! That's awesome!

Have anyone heard about:

Final Fantasy 16 Is Causing Some PS5s To Overheat & Hard Crash

FF16 game cause PS5 console to crash in this cutscenes

Same affected by Diablo 4 game. Not sure if will affect new PS5 with removable disc drive that would overheat when play Final Fantasy 16 / Diablo 4 game.

I still wait on PS5 Pro to see if can do removable disc drive or not. PS5 Pro should have more thick heat sink than old PS5 and new PS5 with removable disc drive to avoid overheat that affected by Final Fantasy 16 game. Everyone need look up Final Fantasy 16 game overheat PS5 system on internet. Look forward to PS5 Pro next year 2024 for holiday (Between October, November and December). B-)

I didn't hear about it. My brother and I both have launch editions of PS5 and didn't have that problem at all. He prefers graphics mode, I use performance mode. I assume if anyone had a chance to experience it, it was him.

There was reports of Diablo 4 beta destroying GPUs for PC... so I in that situation I am wondering how the games are exceeding safety precautions physically built into the equipment. Hopefully they RMA okay or get proper support.

the fuck? 450 is like 50 dollars less than the original MSRP.

Ps5 digital is $400, and Slim is just another version of PS5 digital at the same price. His phrasing made it a little confusing to make it sound like he was talking about disc version.

Last edited by tabzer,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
slimmer model that also missing its internals.

unless this is his wanking arm, the way he can easily move that console in one arm.

itll be the next emulation station china knock off from wish using current gen images as a master of consoles when it in fact is just another shitty 8bit retro machine.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
PS5 looks like a huuuge WiFi router, Xbox Series like a compact desktop tower, and Xbox Series S as a music box.
now that's just being mean. besides the xbox looks like a cheese grater
Post automatically merged:

I hope for not liquid metal or what
this isn't dragon quest :creep:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh, please. My post WAS changed prior to your response. You know full well there was an edit made that changed my perspective. It was CLEARLY marked with "Edit:".
Right, and the edit didn’t address what I highlighted in any way. No matter, this isn’t worth having an argument over, it’s just a rumour. I don’t know why you even care, I certainly don’t. Either way, I think it’s pretty neat design-wise as far as expansions go - it doesn’t look like a cancerous growth on top of the console (32X) and meshes well with the rest of the body thanks to the faceplates covering the mating surface completely. If Sony did go with a similar design (or this exact design if it’s real), it wouldn’t look half-bad in my opinion, and it does appear to be smaller than the original PS5, if not by much. I don’t expect the revision to be “slim” based on the hardware it’s packing, just getting the unit to be less tall would be a big improvement.
Wow! That's awesome!

Have anyone heard about: (overheating consoles)
I’ve only ever had my PS5 overheat/hard crash once, it was due to dust build-up on the heatsink which was quickly eliminated with some TLC, and I have a launch model. Played Diablo 4 all the way through, haven’t tried FFXVI though. I suppose my suggestion is regular maintenance. I clean mine regularly, but this one time I suppose I got a little bit lazy. :lol:

Reactions: console and sith

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
Looks more like a model than a finished product, and barely a replacement cover at most.
A normal PS5 with a disk drive is too heavy to handle with your wrist alone and this could easily be a fake.

Not saying it's not based on real future designs but it doesn't even look slimmer or smaller than the current model to begin with.

What are you talking about? I have a PS5 with a disc drive and it's light as fuck. I can easily hold it with 1 hand.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Right, and the edit didn’t address what I highlighted in any way. No matter, this isn’t worth having an argument over, it’s just a rumour.

Except it absolutely did address what you highlighted. I 100% percent stated in my edit that it looks like it splits exactly where you stated. You trying to correct something that was already corrected by myself, is not correcting me. LOL! Pointing out where a person was wrong is also not an argument.

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
and where's the "slim" part in all of this?
At no point have any of the previous leak sources said its a Slim but rather a redesigned Ps5 sporting a removable disk drive.

A fact that has been stressed on by gaming news outlets covering those potential leaks, who have avoided using the word slim or outright stress that there's no mention of a slim to temper expectations accordingly.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Except it absolutely did address what you highlighted. I 100% percent stated in my edit that it looks like it splits exactly where you stated. You trying to correct something that was already corrected by myself, is not correcting me. LOL! Pointing out where a person was wrong is also not an argument.
How exhausting. This is what you said, along with your edit:
In the video it can be seen that the "line" is only on the faceplates. The thick black part in-between is still one big piece and doesn't separate in two. Also, the video shows the drive is still in the exact same location as the current model PS5 and doesn't appear to be detachable. Apart for all of that, why would there be a drive on both sides? I don't see how anyone can think this is real.

Edit: It looks like the current non disc PS5 with some modifications. If it's real it certainly doesn't split in two where the faceplates split. If anything, the bottom faceplate comes off as normal but could be replaced with a bottom "faceplate" that contains a disc drive.
Nowhere in this edit do you address the “thick black part”, which is what I was talking about, you’re talking about the replaceable faceplates. If that’s not what you meant then that’s fine, but that’s what you said. If by “bottom faceplate” you meant the main body then that’s also fine, but hardly clear. On a standard PS5 laid horizontally the “bottom faceplate” is the white plate with the disc slot, and that’s what I interpreted it as based on how you called it.

AC848A82-3492-4869-A5CA-5C6659119A20.jpeg

The post is up, right now. You can read it yourself. You wrote it, not me. You may have gaslit yourself into thinking you said something else, but you didn’t gaslight me, on account of my aforementioned set of working eyeballs, along with a scroll wheel and moderately accurate memory. Your issues with expressing yourself clearly are not my cross to bear. You could’ve simply clarified what you meant, but you chose to be hostile for no reason whatsoever, which is bizarre to say the least.

Now, if you please, let’s move on from your farcical display of hurt ego and get back to the topic. It was not my intention to hurt your fee-fees, I was correcting what I perceived to be an erroneous observation for the benefit of other users reading the thread. The black main body definitely splits into multiple pieces along the seams I highlighted, regardless of whether that has something to do with the drive module or not.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How exhausting. This is what you said, along with your edit:
Nowhere in this edit do you address the “thick black part”, which is what I was talking about, you’re talking about the replaceable faceplates. If that’s not what you meant then that’s fine, but that’s what you said. If by “bottom faceplate” you meant the main body then that’s also fine, but hardly clear. On a standard PS5 laid horizontally the “bottom faceplate” is the white plate with the disc slot, and that’s what I interpreted it as based on how you called it.

View attachment 388190

The post is up, right now. You can read it yourself. You wrote it, not me. You may have gaslit yourself into thinking you said something else, but you didn’t gaslight me, on account of my aforementioned set of working eyeballs, along with a scroll wheel and moderately accurate memory. Your issues with expressing yourself clearly are not my cross to bear. You could’ve simply clarified what you meant, but you chose to be hostile for no reason whatsoever, which is bizarre to say the least.

Now, if you please, let’s move on from your farcical display of hurt ego and get back to the topic. It was not my intention to hurt your fee-fees, I was correcting what I perceived to be an erroneous observation for the benefit of other users reading the thread. The black main body definitely splits into multiple pieces along the seams I highlighted, regardless of whether that has something to do with the drive module or not.

LMFAO! Entire post is Narcissist Gaslighting 101. That shit probably worked on your ex-girlfriend.

Last edited by RedColoredStars,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It looks feasible to me. Instead of the entire plate, it seems as though it's now just two thirds of it that's removable and contains the drive module. It's too hard to tell how the overall dimensions might have changed.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
LMFAO! Entire post is Narcissist Gaslighting 101. That shit probably worked on your ex-girlfriend.
I like how it took 5 edits for you to narrow things down to those two sentences. I hope you feel a bit better now that you blew off some steam. Can we talk about the actual prototype now? All of this is a giant waste of time.

In any case, after a further crawl on that BwE account I had a look at the power supply. It’s still 12V 31A, so other than a change of form factor there doesn’t seem to be any improvements in regards to efficiency or power consumption.

3F5FCDA0-6201-4D8E-A067-1DEBEAFF60C5.jpeg

I suppose that would explain the rather modest change in size - no due shrink, no massive changes.

Reactions: DinohScene

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The article doesn’t say that the unit is fake. It says that this is not a “PS5 Slim”, rather that it’s a redesign intended to replace the current model, with no major changes as far as the hardware goes (as in, no die shrink). It calls it a “refresh” rather than a redesign, and stresses that these photographs and video are not verified.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto