"Resident Evil 0 Demake", a demo mod of RE2, brings RE0 into the original PlayStation console

The classic Resident Evil titles are some of the most beloved survival horror games of all time, with all and their prerendered backgrounds and their tank controls goodness. One of this classic titles, Resident Evil 0, has many things going on which some might dislike, but it is still a good game overall, with really good graphics, unique mechanics like the swapping character system and really tense fights and item management, and those Mimicry Marcus always keeps the player on edge.

Resident Evil 0 was originally set to be released for the Nintendo 64, back when Capcom decided to try a port of RE2 on the N64, which included a special easter egg file talking about RE0. The programming magic of Angel Studios and Factor 5 back then was nothing short of miraculous, with their ability to put the entirety of 2 PlayStation discs (totalling a whopping 1.2GB back then) into a single 64MB cartridge for the N64. Capcom wanted to try their hand with the system and put the next main entry into it, but for one reason or another, that version never saw the light of day, and the game ended up eventually coming to the Nintendo Gamecube, when Capcom had a exclusive contract to bring the main Resident Evil titles into the current Nintendo console at the time.

1686760298564.png

With all the history of the game, one has to wonder, how would Resident Evil 0 look like if it was released back in the day for the PlayStation instead? What if, following the release of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis for the PlayStation, the next main entry would be RE0 on said console?
Resident Evil fans can now get the idea of what this would be like with Resident Evil 0 Demake!

"Resident Evil 0 Demake" is a mod project, which uses the original Resident Evil 2 as its base, which aims to bring the Resident Evil 0 experience to the PlayStation. Modders Biohazard España and El Rincón del Lobezno have worked on a demo which currently covers the entirety of the train section area of Resident Evil 0, running entirely on the original PlayStation.

The level of detail which both Biohazard España and Rincón del Lobezno portray into the PlayStation demake goes above and beyond, with full FMVs and porting over the full backgrounds from the Gamecube release back into the PlayStation demake (albeit with the usual caveats of some quality loss due to the lower-specs of the PlayStation compared to the Gamecube), and even the door transitions properly depict the doors the player is opening. The custom models and textures for the zombies are a nice throwback to the original N64 release (as well as the title screen), and the models for Rebecca, Billy and the RE0-only creatures are incredible to look at, with the Stinger boss being the highlight of the new models.

1686761274934.png
1686761205249.png

Not only are the locales and enemies ported over with great success, but the swapping mechanic between Billy and Rebecca has also been implemented into this demo. The follow mechanic for the characters seems to reuse the one from RE2, when you encounter Ada as Leon, but this has been greatly expanded upon, with the ability to be able to swap between each character at will, like in the original RE0, and also each character has its own inventory, where they keep their own items separate from each other.

1686761693359.png

This demo runs all the way through the first 3rd of the game, that being the starting train area, with all of its encounters, events, puzzles, and even a nice little addition near the end of the demo if Rebecca stays on the control room during the countdown sequence to stop the train with the breaks.

The demo for Resident Evil 0 Demake is nothing short of outstanding and a true work of passion from the fans. Biohazard España and El Rincón del Lobezno did an amazing work on bringing the Resident Evil 0 experience into the PlayStation. I highly recommend everyone who has an itch for some classic extra Resident Evil goodness to try the demo out and play it all the way through. Those interested can find the XDelta patch in Biohazard España's video description, or use the download link for the patch directly from this post.

:arrow: Download Resident Evil 0 Demake XDelta patch

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It would be cool if this mod was ported over to the Dreamcast as well, that port of RE 2 seems more polished in a weird way.
To this day, the Dreamcast port (and the PC port, which is basically a port of the DC version) are still the best versions of RE2 out there.
I have always liked the N64 out of all of them though, for some reasons, but the DC version has a lot of neat features going on for it.
I just wish RE2/RE3 got a decomp of some sort so we could have all of the features throughout all of the ports available in a single package.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
To this day, the Dreamcast port (and the PC port, which is basically a port of the DC version) are still the best versions of RE2 out there.
I have always liked the N64 out of all of them though, for some reasons, but the DC version has a lot of neat features going on for it.
I just wish RE2/RE3 got a decomp of some sort so we could have all of the features throughout all of the ports available in a single package.
Probably because the N64 port is such a miracle. I think there are videos explaining how they could compress the cutscenes to fit them in a cartridge.
Usually N64 don't have FMVs, except for this one. I can't blame anybody for liking it, just for that achievement.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Always amuses me when it takes a couple of weeks for news to reach the front page here :P
To be fair, when it comes to projects like this, I prefer to wait out a little bit to see if the project will progress throughout or not.
In the case of this demo, sadly, it seems as it will not continue development due to creative differences between the co-authors.

There are other "demake" projects I'm eyeing on, and I'm waiting on them to be finished so I can make the proper post for them.
No point in making one when a release might be on the near future, making the original news article obsolete.

Reactions: duwen

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully 4 will be done as well. And based the the original 2005 game, not the fan-made remake released this year and published by $crapcom$.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what's stopping the devs/modders from making a complete port of RE0, de-made for the original PlayStation? Their efforts are short of extraordinary. This article doesn't infer that they will create a full release.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
RE2 on the N64 will always be my favorite version.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: