Original "Resident Evil" gets an unofficial HD mod with "Seamless HD Project" v1.0

The original Resident Evil game that started the whole franchise, alongside the original Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, have yet to make an appearance in PC for the modern age. The release of the Remakes for 2 & 3 are available in most modern platforms, but the original trilogy remains elusive for almost all systems today.

Given the lack of a proper "remaster" release for the original RE games, fans have taken it upon themselves to further improve on the available releases of the classic trilogy to give them all sorts of improvements, ranging from the improvement additions made in the Classic Rebirth project, to the HD revamp for both RE2 and RE3 by the Seamless HD Project, and today, the original "Resident Evil" now joins RE2 & RE3 with an HD treatment by Seamless HD Project as well.

1690211536454.png
1690211561655.png
1690211567288.png

Some of the Seamless HD Project's work, from improved textures and models, to revamped images and menus.

Not only have the Seamless HD devs upscaled all of the game's textures, but they also improved on images, texts, visual effects, in-game screens and menus and portraits found throughout the game, with the "Seamless" part of the project coming from their work on making the game's pre-rendered backgrounds' masks work in a seamless way with the rest of the backgrounds' assets, and; to top it off, the team has also fully revamped the game's original FMVs, making the game look better than ever.

Right now, all of the Seamless HD Project and Classic Rebirth mods are only available for the PC releases of RE1, RE2 and RE3, which date back to the late 90s and early 2000s. RE1 is no exception, so this new HD project also requires the PC release of RE1. The full requirements for the mod goes as follows:
Those interested can try the v1.0 release right now, and experience the original RE1 with all its cheesy-ness glory in true HD!

:arrow: RE1 Seamless HD Project
:arrow: RE1 Classic Rebirth

Attachments

• 1690211519137.png
    1690211519137.png
    482.6 KB · Views: 42

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Never really understood the appeal of slapping HD assets over 25 year old games. It never looks good (in my opinion)

But, to each their own.

For PS2/GC/Xbox games, it works incredibly well, almost to the point of a pseudo-remastered game.
But for PSX/N64 games, it tends to get a bit iffy.

HD textures rarely do a game proper justice, and the creators have to be well aware of what the original artstyle and design of the game was in the first place in order to make a proper texture pack for said games. A clear example is texture packs for Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, only a couple of texture packs capture the original feel and/or improve on the original game, the rest vary in terms of quality and artstyle imo.

The Resident Evil games are quite an interesting topic for this. Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis surely went above and beyond in terms of what was capable image-wise with the hardware at the time, capturing almost life-like scenarios and places with their pre-rendered backgrounds. I dare say the only thing that dates them are the actual 3D models, which still retain that specific PSX/N64 quality. Having the backgrounds rendered in HD surely helps a lot to bring forward the setting and feeling of dread from said games.

Although, I do have to agree slightly that the original Resident Evil is without a doubt the one RE title that shows its age the most. The pre-rendered backgrounds from the original game were bland at best, with little to almost to details in the backgrounds to make the HD uplift give it a new life. It really shows just how much Capcom understood their technology and improved upon it for Resident Evil 2, the changes in details for each screen are no match between 1 & 2.

The HD uplift in this case sure has been treated with care, and the game looks better than ever, I do enjoy the HD textures, but the game itself and the bland design it had shows even more with the better textures.

It's still highly appreciated that we now have all the classic trilogy in proper HD, but I'd highly recommend playing RE2 and RE3 with both Classic Rebirth and Seamless HD to really notice how much 2&3 benefit from the HD textures and to understand what I meant with the artstyle and artistic design choices, and how much of an improvement the sequels were over RE1 overall.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Capcom was nice, they even promoted the fan made game Street Fighter X Mega Man.
Sega was hostile and took down streets of rage remake.
Nintendo is the worst.

DarthDarklorD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I built this hog ass PC with a pretty beefy AMD GPU,(Runs Waifu2x like I drink beer) and it can't render this mod properly at all lol.
It's like watching a pallet jack get stopped by a zip tie laying on the floor.
ALL that heavy lifting and it gets beat by a game that could run on a TI83 :rofl::rofl2::cry:
Its okay, I got a backup rig upstairs with a little 1650 that I use for stuff like this.
Or maybe I can find a Direct3D3 wrapper?

"Q: I have an AMD graphics card and my game displays all sorts of visual glitches. How can I fix?
A: The short answer would be: ask AMD to fix their drivers. AMD cards have been having trouble managing this game and other games using Direct3D3 unless some older drivers are used. The longer answer is: wait for the Direct3D9 version."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto