Original "Resident Evil" gets an unofficial HD mod with "Seamless HD Project" v1.0

The original Resident Evil game that started the whole franchise, alongside the original Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, have yet to make an appearance in PC for the modern age. The release of the Remakes for 2 & 3 are available in most modern platforms, but the original trilogy remains elusive for almost all systems today.

Given the lack of a proper "remaster" release for the original RE games, fans have taken it upon themselves to further improve on the available releases of the classic trilogy to give them all sorts of improvements, ranging from the improvement additions made in the Classic Rebirth project, to the HD revamp for both RE2 and RE3 by the Seamless HD Project, and today, the original "Resident Evil" now joins RE2 & RE3 with an HD treatment by Seamless HD Project as well.

1690211536454.png
1690211561655.png
1690211567288.png

Some of the Seamless HD Project's work, from improved textures and models, to revamped images and menus.

Not only have the Seamless HD devs upscaled all of the game's textures, but they also improved on images, texts, visual effects, in-game screens and menus and portraits found throughout the game, with the "Seamless" part of the project coming from their work on making the game's pre-rendered backgrounds' masks work in a seamless way with the rest of the backgrounds' assets, and; to top it off, the team has also fully revamped the game's original FMVs, making the game look better than ever.

Right now, all of the Seamless HD Project and Classic Rebirth mods are only available for the PC releases of RE1, RE2 and RE3, which date back to the late 90s and early 2000s. RE1 is no exception, so this new HD project also requires the PC release of RE1. The full requirements for the mod goes as follows:
Those interested can try the v1.0 release right now, and experience the original RE1 with all its cheesy-ness glory in true HD!

:arrow: RE1 Seamless HD Project
:arrow: RE1 Classic Rebirth

Attachments

• 1690211519137.png
    1690211519137.png
    482.6 KB · Views: 42

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Not a big fan of the horror genre, but Resident Evil was one of the only horror games I've played and liked. This makes me feel nostalgic. And a bit traumatized (thank you zombie dogs), but nostalgic nonetheless.

I get that but with RE2, still to this day my favourite classic RE title, followed closely by RE4.
RE1 it's one I played after actually playing the entire franchise from start to finish, with Remake taking RE1's place.
The original one sure feels odd, more so when comparing it to 2 and 3, but it's a good title nonetheless.

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I was a sprout when this came out. I remember playing it in my room, all fuckin alone. Those where the times, man. It really made an impression in my life. To this day, I play it every couple of years and the Remake, too. They are just so damn good. And, well, we who lived through those times, we know how it felt, the change and experience of playing something like this, on 3d, for the first time.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I personally think this kinda ruins a bit of the charme and look of the ps1 RE games. Some stuff just looks way too clean in some places and the melting from the upscaling is really noticeable in some parts. Just gives everything this incredibly plasticy look. But for people that like this kinda look it must be nice.

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah not a fan of how the pre-rendered backgrounds look here. The higher resolution makes them look significantly less realistic than the original ones. Here they feel very plastic-y.

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally think this kinda ruins a bit of the charme and look of the ps1 RE games. Some stuff just looks way too clean in some places and the melting from the upscaling is really noticeable in some parts. Just gives everything this incredibly plasticy look. But for people that like this kinda look it must be nice.

It looks terrible. Less is more, am I right people?

Same issue with some old TV shows from the mid 90s where the sets look fake and plasticy in the HD remaster. If I was producing something today I'd render/capture internally at high res and supersample down to the lowest possible resolution before it starts to look janky. The less we're told, the more we imagine.

edit: also I'd make game/film in 4:3 safe mode so the framing of all the elements is still 4:3 but just has more scenery off to the side. This is how they used to produce a lot of things during the transition period between 4:3 & 16:9 in the mid-late 2000s.

Reactions: chipsnblip

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I was sure there was Remaster, so what a point to make hd mod for less polygony game.
If somebody want play original for nostalgy, then they should play it. Not horrible looking upscaled version of it

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I was sure there was Remaster, so what a point to make hd mod for less polygony game.
If somebody want play original for nostalgy, then they should play it. Not horrible looking upscaled version of it
There is the Gamecube one, which was slightly touched up and later released again on more modern platforms.

There's also a shockingly decent DS version, called Resident Evil Deadly Silence.

Reactions: k7ra

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto