PlayStation Plus 12-month sub price to increase by 33%

02lbhbJ8JoH0MK5iCUYBHOj-6.v16067.jpg

Sony have announced that their 12-month subscription plans for all PlayStation Plus tiers - Essential, Extra and Premium, are getting price increases of around 33%, more details below.
  • PlayStation Plus Essential (12 month) will be increased to $79.99 USD , €71,99 EUR, £59.99 GBP up from $59.99, €59.99, £49.99​
  • PlayStation Plus Extra (12 month) will be increased to $134.99 USD, €125,99 EUR, £99.99 GBP up from $99.99, €99.99, £83.99​
  • PlayStation Plus Premium (12 month) will be increased to $159.99 USD, €151,99 EUR, £119.99 GBP up from $119.99, €119.99, £99.99​
They have yet to justify the price increases with any extra perks or changes to the included benefits.

The price increase comes into effect from September 6th 2023.

We also wanted to let you know that starting September 6 we will be increasing the price for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscriptions globally across all benefit plans. This price adjustment will enable us to continue bringing high-quality games and value-added benefits to your PlayStation Plus subscription service.

Here are the new prices for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscription plans.

PlayStation Plus Essential 12-Month Subscription
79.99 USD | 71,99 Euro | 59.99 GBP | 6,800 Yen

PlayStation Plus Extra 12-Month Subscription
134.99 USD | 125,99 Euro | 99.99 GBP | 11,700 Yen

PlayStation Plus Premium 12-Month Subscription
159.99 USD | 151,99 Euro | 119.99 GBP | 13,900 Yen

The new prices for the 12-Month subscription will remain at a discounted rate when compared to purchasing the 1-Month or 3-Month subscriptions over a 12-month period.

For current 12-month subscribers, this price increase will not take effect until your next renewal date that occurs on or after November 6. However, any membership changes you make on or after September 6, such as upgrades, downgrades or buying additional time, will update your plan reflecting the new prices.

You can change or cancel your subscription at any time, details here.

We’ll notify current subscribers of these changes via email and will have additional details on our website soon.

This news comes shortly after the announcement of massive strides in the PS5 homebrew community with LibHijacker now able to run 60fps patches, mods, programs and more, as well as the first ever "Hello World" homebrew app on PS5.

:arrow: Source

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest problem with these gaming services is that they can yank your games away at any time. So not only are you paying what is now double the price of a game for the service, but once you start enjoying a game, they pull it from the service and charge you double the price on Steam to keep playing. I got my first year for $40 due to an old PS Now card I had. This year I let it auto-renew at $60. No way I'm paying $159 for what are effectively demos.

Also Plus Premium is super not worth it. The selection os PS1 and PS2 games isn't bad, and it's nice that here is some upscaling for PS1 games on PS5, but it's about on par with EPSXE in 2005. No widescreen, the texture wobble is still there, no overclocking the CPU or disk drive, no texture filtering. Duckstation is lightyears ahead, as are PCSX2 and RPCS3. I'll pay a premium for the best version of a game since my free time is so limited, but Playstation Plus (and Playstation in general) isn't it.

Looking at all these streaming services cutting back, it's probably time to cancel pretty much all of them. Paying a few bucks a month to use a service for an hour or two was fine, but with Xbox Live removing the monthly games, Netflix cutting account sharing, and now this PS Plus price increase, it's getting to be time to just focus on my backlog until the greed slows down.

Here is the thing if you are not a online gamer you will not need this… me personally I don’t game online because I’m not very good lol

It’s not like how it was in the PS3 era where you can play online win some lose some but you have a good time. PS4 and above you have campers and etc

People are playing to win more than to play for fun.

All my online gaming goes to Mario Kart lol

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This, cancelled my sub last night.

3 usually shitty games per month was barely worth $60 a year for the essential, so $80 is definitely the breaking point for me.

Wth? Terrible comparison to make when the cost isn't just for the three games, it's for the entire library they have available with whatever tier.

The biggest problem with these gaming services is that they can yank your games away at any time.

That is not even a problem. Nowhere is it stated that you keep the games. Everyone knows full well that they're paying for a rental service. It's no different than Netflix or anything similar. Stuff comes and goes all the time. It it also a big problem if a person hasn't finished watching a movie before a service pulls it? Most of them also list what is leaving so people can play or watch before it's gone.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, this is why I prefer to buy games physically, digitally results may vary, very much only really dependent on if the game is digital only (which sucks when it is but whatever, story for another day). This is partly why I never bought into subscription services years ago, and this still holds true today. You literally pay so much money over time and NEVER get to keep what you play. Sure, one could compare this to rental services, but I'd like to think this is worse than such services we used years ago, you literally can't control anything with these modern subscription based solutions. This is a pure money sinkhole, and I am glad I never threw money at garbage like this. You spend more just to play a game rather than pay for a copy once and play it as many times as you want. Not to mention services will die eventually, so you not only don't keep what you play, you literally lose being able to play the games period one day.

To be clear, I get some people can't just go out buying games individually all the time, I can't either, my point is I think there is way more value outside of these services with the right frame of mind, savings, etc. if you set your mind to it.

Reactions: Goku1992A

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Wth? Terrible comparison to make when the cost isn't just for the three games, it's for the entire library they have available with whatever tier.

That is not even a problem. Nowhere is it stated that you keep the games. Everyone knows full well that they're paying for a rental service. It's no different than Netflix or anything similar. Stuff comes and goes all the time. It it also a big problem if a person hasn't finished watching a movie before a service pulls it? Most of them also list what is leaving so people can play or watch before it's gone.

If people feel like it's not worth it, they're free to cancel.

It's a massive increase, it doesn't matter if you think it's little, the fact is that it is a huge increase for no reason and for a lot of people, just not worth it.

Gamepass had a 1$ increase for ultimate, PS Plus increased more than that. You can also still buy Xbox Gold which ends up much cheaper (just got half a year of ultimate for under 20€).

I used to have PS Plus just for the monthly games and cloud save, nowadays it's not worth it.

Reactions: Cortador

nothing-to-see-here

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
except, microsoft also ass-raped their fanbase. there is no xbox gold anymore. it's like called xbox gamepass basic or something, the same 25 games, no more 2 free games/month, for $60. what true shit!

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Why are you so invested in other people's subscriptions?

nothing-to-see-here

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I take that back. it's $120 for the same shitty 25 games with xbox basic. that's me playing devil's advocate. it starts this month as well as the psn price increase. at least they give free cloud saving. there are no more 2 free games with xbox fyi. I don't like what either service has done. I actually cancelled xbox. I can't afford more than basic service.

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Playstation+ users bend over, Sony has a new strap on it wants to try out. This'll be entertaining to watch. The only reason I ever had PS+ was because I got 1 year free with my PS5 purchase, and even then it felt like a ripoff and I never played any of the games i got because they were mostly garbo titles that didn't sell well on the store... Man, Sony's taking a piss on its users, I feel sorry for you guys, still not too late to go pc given the fact that sony eventually ports it's exclusives over for an even better experience than you would get on their locked down systems.

Dontuuch17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$ 0.01 is already too expansive, and this goes for Nintendo and Microsoft too. Online should be free.
I used to think that. To me it creates a greater sense of accountability for the quality of the service to be maintained when you pay.

Otherwise if it was free, they could just throw their hands up and walk off whenever problems arise.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this pisses me the FUCK off so much! pulling an Xbox once again sony... pull a FUCKING xbox... BASTARDS!! also i was going buy a PS5 by saving money but screw that.

Reactions: Tiger21820

hybori

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Cancelled it immediately after hearing this not worth it even if for the Cloud Saves. What was Sony thinking announcing this out of the blue? Not to mention how bad September free games are: Saints Row Reboot

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony: Price hikes for PS Plus by 33%.
GBATempers: That's very overpriced.
Sony: *shrugs*
GBATempers: still subscribed to PS Plus.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony: Price hikes for PS Plus by 33%.
GBATempers: That's very overpriced.
Sony: *shrugs*
GBATempers: still subscribed to PS Plus.
You do know what website you're on, right? The people on this site that actually pay for video games are a low minority.
Post automatically merged:

Jacking up the price, and "giving" you Saints Row sounds like something I would do, if Jim Ryan asked me to purposely piss off Playstation players.

Last edited by Viri,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto