PlayStation Plus overhaul announced, premium tier has catalog of PS1, PS2, and PSP games

unknown-19.png

After months of rumors, the long awaited relaunch of PlayStation Plus is here. Sony has revealed that they will be merging both PlayStation Now and PlayStation Plus into the new Playstation Plus, which will have three different tiers. "Essential" is the same PS+ experience as before, with free games monthly and online multi-player. Meanwhile, the "Extra" tier adds a catalog for downloadable PS4 and PS5 titles for 14.99 a month. The Premium tier has the biggest amount of content on offer, featuring cloud streaming on PS4, PS5, and PC, as well as access to a retro trove of classic PlayStation games from the PS1, PS2, and PSP, with download options available. Time limited game trials are also part of this plan. This one is $17.99 a month.

The new PlayStation Plus will launch this June. Those current subscribed to PlayStation Now will automatically be converted into the Premium tier. Certain markets will have a Deluxe tier, which is just slightly cheaper Premium but without the cloud streaming.

PlayStation Plus Essential​

• Benefits:
    • Provides the same benefits that PlayStation Plus members are getting today, such as:
      • Two monthly downloadable games
      • Exclusive discounts
      • Cloud storage for saved games
      • Online multiplayer access
    • There are no changes for existing PlayStation Plus members in this tier.

• Price*for PlayStation Plus Essential remains the same as the current price for PlayStation Plus.
    • United States
      • $9.99 monthly / $24.99 quarterly / $59.99 yearly
    • Europe
      • €8.99 monthly / €24.99 quarterly / €59.99 yearly
    • United Kingdom
      • £6.99 monthly / £19.99 quarterly / £49.99 yearly
    • Japan
      • ¥850 monthly / ¥2,150 quarterly / ¥5,143 yearly

PlayStation Plus Extra​

• Benefits:
    • Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
    • Adds a catalog of up to 400* of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from our PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners. Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play.
  • Price*:
    • United States
      • $14.99 monthly / $39.99 quarterly / $99.99 yearly
    • Europe
      • €13.99 monthly / €39.99 quarterly / €99.99 yearly
    • United Kingdom
      • £10.99 monthly / £31.99 quarterly / £83.99 yearly
    • Japan
      • ¥1,300 monthly / ¥3,600 quarterly / ¥8,600 yearly

PlayStation Plus Premium**​

• Benefits:
    • Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
    • Adds up to 340* additional games, including:
      • PS3 games available via cloud streaming
      • A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations
    • Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets** where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.***
    • Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.
  • Price*:
    • United States
      • $17.99 monthly / $49.99 quarterly / $119.99 yearly
    • Europe
      • €16.99 monthly / €49.99 quarterly / €119.99 yearly
    • United Kingdom
      • £13.49 monthly / £39.99 quarterly / £99.99 yearly
    • Japan
      • ¥1,550 – monthly / ¥4,300 – quarterly / ¥10,250 yearly
  • PlayStation Plus Deluxe (Select Markets) For markets without cloud streaming, PlayStation Plus Deluxe will be offered at a lower price compared to Premium, and includes a catalog of beloved classic games from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations to download and play, along with time-limited game trials. Benefits from Essential and Extra tiers are also included. Local pricing will vary by market.

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sony: WHAT THE FUCK IS A VITA?!
Honestly, does the Vita have that many good games?, the only really good Vita games that come to my mind are Gravity Rush, Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Tearaway and two of those received remasters for the PS4 that run at 60fps.

Other than that, the only reason I want to play Vita games on PS4 or PS5 is to be able to play some PS3 ports natively without having to use cloud-streaming (which in this case isn't even available here in Brazil) like Rayman Origins, Persona 4 Golden, Project Diva F, Marvel Vs Capcom 3, Need for Speed: Most Wanted and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time as these games haven't received PS4 or PS5 ports and playing PS3 games via cloud is not really an option for me.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing worthwhile about the new tiers IMO. No clue why both Nintendo and now Sony think their older catalog should be gated behind a subscription service. If you don't sell digital copies of those games at reasonable prices, people will just keep playing them on emulators instead, and with good reason.
The scamming is becoming so heinous and pervasive that I'm beginning to think this could be the last console generation for me.

I wouldn't call it buyer's remorse with with PS5 exactly, but I've barely used it so far. I'm still playing Switch somewhat regularly, but have difficulty getting past the fragility of the controllers and am also disgusted by most of Nintendo's recent marketing decisions in general.

It's not just Sony and Nintendo either, but other individual developers/publishers making their games as scummy as mobile trash while still charging full price.

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, does the Vita have that many good games?, the only really good Vita games that come to my mind are Gravity Rush, Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Tearaway and two of those received remasters for the PS4 that run at 60fps.

Other than that, the only reason I want to play Vita games on PS4 or PS5 is to be able to play some PS3 ports natively without having to use cloud-streaming (which in this case isn't even available here in Brazil) like Rayman Origins, Persona 4 Golden, Project Diva F, Marvel Vs Capcom 3, Need for Speed: Most Wanted and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time as these games haven't received PS4 or PS5 ports and playing PS3 games via cloud is not really an option for me.
Most notable things that were on the Vita have been ported elsewhere, everyone has jumped ship a long time ago. There's likely some niche thing I don't know of but, well, I did say niche.

Reactions: Moon164

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Most notable things that were on the Vita have been ported elsewhere, everyone has jumped ship a long time ago. There's likely some niche thing I don't know of but, well, I did say niche.
Yeah...there's not much reason for them to bring the Vita into service.

As I said, the only reason to want to play Vita games on the service would be to play some PS3 games that were ported to the Vita but not the PS4 or PS5 like Rayman Origins, Marvel vs Capcom 3 or Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time by native way without having to resort to streaming which sucks, other than that, meh...

Reactions: Tsukiru

Megadriver94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

PS Vita also has Killzone Mercenary, Wipeout 2048, Stein's Gate 0, Puyo Puyo Tetris, at least several Naruto games, Little Big Planet PS Vita, Zero escape: Virtue's Last Reward, Undertale (if that's your cup of tea) a port of Minecraft, Borderlands 2, Army Corps of Hell, Battle Rockets, Big Sky Infinity, and the Ratchet & Clank Collection.

Reactions: Moon164

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some day, I might be interested. what I'm hoping is that tales of graces f is part of the ps3 catalogue. I have a sealed copy of it that I bought about a year ago, and I have a super slim, but I returned the hdd when my account had issues. that's when I was going to go 100% legit, so I may do that in the next few months. I got very close to beating the game originally, but my hdd got corrupted or something. :( I did beat jak and daxter 1, which is quite good.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some day all the old stuff will ended up in Nintendo eshop at full price and the fans will be so happy they can play while on the go. It's getting there, by the end of Switch's first decade it will be complete. If Sony like money they should learn from Nintendo how they do it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the...