Reports indicate Sony may have disabled PlayStation Plus subscription stacking

playstation-plus.jpg

As we approach PlayStation Plus' revamp coming in June, more details have been emerging about how the transition to the new PlayStation Plus will work. In a new FAQ posted yesterday, Sony announced that those subscribed to both PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now will be automatically upgraded to the highest tier for the length of the longer subscription. Meaning, if you had a PlayStation Now subscription set to end in July and a PlayStation Plus subscription set to end in November, you would receive the highest tier of PlayStation Plus benefits until November, which would be your new renewal date.

However, users are now reporting that they are unable to stack time onto their PlayStation Plus subscription, whether through the PS Store or prepaid cards. Posts on reddit, Resetera and Twitter show that those with active subscriptions are unable to add more time to them, even with prepaid cards. According to PushSquare, customer support has told customers that the function has been "temporarily disabled" and concerned users should keep an eye out for updates on the situation. Over on the PlayStation Twitter, customers have been either contacted through private direct message or directed to a generic FAQ support page.

While Sony has not confirmed why the functionality was disabled or even if it was done intentionally, it seems likely it was done to prevent users from purchasing PS Plus subscriptions at the current lower price knowing it will soon grant them premium benefits.

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, my. I pay for both services & you GAEM PAZS RUELZ! SONEE SUKX!!! people are 🤣🤣🤣.

https://twistedvoxel.com/microsoft-closes-loophole-for-cheaper-xbox-game-pass-ultimate/
That... isn't even the same loophole?
There's another 'loophole' where if you don't have any membership active, you can load up on the cheaper Xbox Live Gold and convert it to Game Pass by buying a month of that. They even actually officially tell you to do this trick in a blog post on their site. It still works, I did it like two weeks ago.

Anyways, back to 'GAEM PAZS RUELZ! SONEE SUKX!!!' I guess :rofl:

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That... isn't even the same loophole?
There's another 'loophole' where if you don't have any membership active, you can load up on the cheaper Xbox Live Gold and convert it to Game Pass by buying a month of that. They even actually officially tell you to do this trick in a blog post on their site. It still works, I did it like two weeks ago.

Anyways, back to 'GAEM PAZS RUELZ! SONEE SUKX!!!' I guess :rofl:

The moron is high with you. Of course it's not the same loophole, genius. If you're not intelligent enough to understand the hypocrisy of Game Pass fan boys crying foul on Sony when MS has done the same thing, that's on you. Becasue the concept is actually incredibly simple.

I'm well aware of the MS XLG conversion method as I used it myself to get 36 months when I got my Series X. When MS is telling people about it, it's not a loophole. MS closed an actual loophole. Period. Now you're trying to walk back statements by saying "Oh, That doesn't count! There is still one loophole open!" LOLOLOLOL! Sony closed a loophole, MS closed a loophole. Why are simple concepts so difficult for you? If stacking and saving a few bucks was SO important to you people, why didn't you all give two shits about stacking until now? People missed the boat by a couple days and it's effing crybaby city about it here and everywhere else. I even posted on Thursday that Sony Rewards codes are still working to stack, and that people should hurry up and get them before Sony shuts the door completely. Not my fault people still didn't act on it. Yet still so many tears. There were STILL loopholes open for a few days after this was all starting to be reported, some of you STILL failed to act in time, and STILL so many tears. Your own faults. Now you want to "BLAME SONY! SONY'S FAULT!!!" Entitled much?

Neither service is really better than the other. They both have different things to offer. That's why I subscribe to both. But I will say that imo PS is by far the better deal price wise at standard pricing. Game Pass Ultiimate is $180 a year. PS Premium is $120 a year and has a library double the size or more of Game Pass. For me Game Passes day one releases offset the smaller catalog, but Sony is also rumored to have 2 hr trials for major titles that cost over $35. Sure, not the full game but it would give people the chance to try out PLENTY of big titles that wont be Game Pass Day One releases. How many MAJOR "Day One" releases does Game Pass have anyway? The majority of them are indies.

To each their own, but this hypocritical crap about Sony being anti-Consumer while acting like MS is Mister fucking Rogers is absolutely ridiculous. Are you aware that MS has more products than Xbox? You people that want to talk about bad, evil, Sony, I have two words for you. Microsoft Windows. :rofl:

Last edited by Stone_Wings,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The moron is high with you. Of course it's not the same loophole, genius. If you're not intelligent enough to understand the hypocrisy of Game Pass fan boys crying foul on Sony when MS has done the same thing, that's on you. Becasue the concept is actually incredibly simple.

I'm well aware of the MS XLG conversion method as I used it myself to get 36 months when I got my Series X. When MS is telling people about it, it's not a loophole. MS closed an actual loophole. Period. Now you're trying to walk back statements by saying "Oh, That doesn't count! There is still one loophole open!" LOLOLOLOL! Sony closed a loophole, MS closed a loophole. Why are simple concepts so difficult for you? If stacking and saving a few bucks was SO important to you people, why didn't you all give two shits about stacking until now? People missed the boat by a couple days and it's effing crybaby city about it here and everywhere else. I even posted on Thursday that Sony Rewards codes are still working to stack, and that people should hurry up and get them before Sony shuts the door completely. Not my fault people still didn't act on it. Yet still so many tears. There were STILL loopholes open for a few days after this was all starting to be reported, some of you STILL failed to act in time, and STILL so many tears. Your own faults. Now you want to "BLAME SONY! SONY'S FAULT!!!" Entitled much?

Neither service is really better than the other. They both have different things to offer. That's why I subscribe to both. But I will say that imo PS is by far the better deal price wise at standard pricing. Game Pass Ultiimate is $180 a year. PS Premium is $120 a year and has a library double the size or more of Game Pass. For me Game Passes day one releases offset the smaller catalog, but Sony is also rumored to have 2 hr trials for major titles that cost over $35. Sure, not the full game but it would give people the chance to try out PLENTY of big titles that wont be Game Pass Day One releases. How many MAJOR "Day One" releases does Game Pass have anyway? The majority of them are indies.

To each their own, but this hypocritical crap about Sony being anti-Consumer while acting like MS is Mister fucking Rogers is absolutely ridiculous. Are you aware that MS has more products than Xbox? You people that want to talk about bad, evil, Sony, I have two words for you. Microsoft Windows. :rofl:
I love how you extrapolated that I'm somehow a microsoft bootlicker / sony hater from my posts when I'm really not, but go off I guess

I do agree PlayStation and Xbox, and their services, both have pros and cons that make them both good options in their own right. I'm really not that partial to one or the other. Guess my mistake was thinking that was obvious from the get go, instead of assuming people on an internet forum would immediately extrapolate console-war BS from it.

I do think it's a bit silly that PS closed it early if only a small handful of dedicated fans use these loopholes in general, and I think they could've gained some consumer goodwill by keeping it open for another month until the new one launches.
And because of that, I think Game Pass does have that over them, even if they closed the EA Play one - at the end of the day, Game Pass still has a trick to get it cheaper and premium PS+ doesn't. And I personally like that a lot - $60/y for Game Pass is a great price.
Does that matter much at the end of the day? Not really, probably, considering most people probably pay MSRP for either service. These 'loopholes' shouldn't be the expectation, after all.
And by that measure, the $120/year for PS+ does sound like a far better deal than the $180 or so Game Pass should normally cost.

Reactions: Stone_Wings

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey