Sony announces Backbone One PlayStation Edition mobile controller for PS4 and PS5 remote play

2b997e20-0d14-11ed-bbde-13bb1b8e87f0.cf.jpg

In 2020, the Backbone One was released--a mobile controller that attaches to your phone, and can be folded up nice and neat to be taken on the go. There were versions of the portable controller for both iOS and Android, and they would eventually see support from Xbox, where they promoted the controller for use with Xbox Game Pass's xCloud streaming service for phones. Now, PlayStation is getting in on things, by revealing their own unique DualSense-themed variant of the Backbone One. The "PlayStation Edition" form of the controller comes with some extra bonus features, including the ability to connect directly to the PlayStation Pulse 3D headset, and seamless support with the PS Remote Play app--notable, as the app does not support other similar mobile gamepads--only PlayStation branded ones such as the DualShock 4. Right now, only an iPhone-specific model is available, for $99.99.

Backbone One is the gaming essential for PlayStation on iPhone. If you have access to broadband internet and a PS5 or PS4 console, plug an iPhone into the Backbone One and instantly start playing your PS5 and PS4 games with the power of the PS Remote Play app—whether that’s out and about or even elsewhere in the home*. See the PlayStation Remote Play website for more information: https://www.playstation.com/remote-play/

Backbone One also works wonderfully with App Store games and other game streaming services that support controllers, including Genshin Impact, Fantasian, Call of Duty: Mobile, and more. Players can download the Backbone App for a customized PlayStation experience. Inside the app, you’ll see various PlayStation integrations, such as custom glyphs representing the iconic PlayStation shapes and the ability to browse hundreds of game titles.

:arrow: Source

aoikurayami

dysfunctionally intimidating
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Idk, I found both GeForce Now and Gamepass to be better options for me. Remote play doesn’t work if you are outside of the same network, which means I can’t play Bloodborne everywhere. If I am going to play my PS4 at home, then I would much rather play on my TV, laptop, and maybe on my hacked Switch. It just doesn’t do what I would like to see it do.
I can't comment on those sadly.

I will agree on the hacked switch tho.
If a native remoteplay app existed...
(Shame Sony is still blind on both eyes)

Grow the fuck up, why would you want to remote play Nintendo games on a Shitony console and its shit controller?
As much as I dislike Sony.

The DS4 makes for a good Pro Controller when paired with the Switch (even the gyro works !)

Routing audio from the controller is cool (but the Switch having bt hp audio is superior, so Sony lost that novelity)

I suppose the DS4 is the *only* Sony controller I like.
Funny. Seems there is a first for everything

Last edited by aoikurayami,

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
let's see...

-the entire original PS1 controller is a clone of snes controller
-they released a smash bros for sony characters (despite sony not having characters)
-sony released an amiibo clone despite, again, not having characters
-playstation move
-playstation 1 mini
-they also have like 4 or 5 mario kart "inspired" games
-recently they released a clone to the shitty rewards program from nintendo (probabily is better than Nintendo, but came after, so...)
-they added tiers for their online service, just another clone of a shitty nintendo decision
-they put classic games behind monthly fees, I know xbox did it way before, but I'm sure that Sony did not learned about it with the any of the 22 xbox owners

now they did the joycons, the worst controller nintendo ever had, and they cloned anyway...
please mark controllers when they have NOT been cloned of Nintendo's design :)

Welshgamer101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well Well Well.. Not quite the Vita 2, is it ?
Hmm nice layout too Sony "cough Nintendo!"
Old man part - " I remember when I was a lad, Sony stood for innovation and being ahead of the opposition!" Now it's like ahh F*** it just do what ever sells and that's cheap to make"
Great Job Sony - NOT !!

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The original Backbone is great. I’ve played entire AAA games on it. The Razer Kishi looks better on paper but the build quality is sub par. I’ve seen smartphone gamepads like this since the iPhone 4, they just make more sense nowadays

I really dig the new design on this but it doesn’t look like it changes how it’s used at all. Now if Sony removes the deadzone they add in their iOS remote play app, that’ll be awesome.

Reactions: Dark_Phoras

pickinanameainteasy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I recall, you have to be at home to use remote play? You have to be on the LAN and you can't VPN to the LAN from outside? Its a cool idea but I'm gonna need to see it tested before I'm interested

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
  • Why the fuck is it iPhone only?
  • Where's the Android version?

You couldn't pay me enough to suffer through using an iPhone for anything. What a huge mistake.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
It’s too bad their remote play is fucking terrible
It's only terrible if your PS4/PS5 is on the Wi-Fi. But being hooked up directly to Ethernet, it's quite good. I even get decent results on Wi-Fi, as I have a Wi-Fi 6 router centered in my apartment.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's only terrible if your PS4/PS5 is on the Wi-Fi. But being hooked up directly to Ethernet, it's quite good. I even get decent results on Wi-Fi, as I have a Wi-Fi 6 router centered in my apartment.
I am starting to wonder if my PS4 might have an issue with its ethernet because it's plugged into that and still runs like shit. Might be time to open it up and take a look around to see if there's something wrong with the port

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I am starting to wonder if my PS4 might have an issue with its ethernet because it's plugged into that and still runs like shit. Might be time to open it up and take a look around to see if there's something wrong with the port
It could also be the cords, they're not all the same. I have good luck with CAT6.

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It could also be the cords, they're not all the same. I have good luck with CAT6.
I thought the same thing and bought a new cord for it before as well. I think I've literally been gaslighting myself into believing maybe my PS4 isn't the problem when it props is.

Reactions: Jayro

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the same thing and bought a new cord for it before as well. I think I've literally been gaslighting myself into believing maybe my PS4 isn't the problem when it props is.
If you have a stable connection, it is pretty decent on ps4. The input delay is a lot better on ps5 but it is very much playable in single player games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...