Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

Begby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a wii I bought a little over a year ago. I successfully installed the twilight hack and homebrew, the then current version of CIOS 249 (the one that came with the wiigator loader), and a backup loader and all was well. Then I did the safe update to 3.3. I may have done some other updates of different CIOS's for things like a DVD plauer or what not, but I don't remember. This was a long time ago, never did any other changes or mods or anything cuz' all was working ok. I don't have bootmii installed.

I recently purchased Metroid Prime Trilogy. When I ran it I let it install an update without thinking. It is now version 3.6. Homebrew channel still loads, but when I try to run the backup loader it locks up and I need to hold down the power button to restart the Wii. Non backups play fine.

A. How do I fix it so I can play my backups again? There are a lot of tutorials but most start with banner bomb. Dunno where to start though since I had that older CIOS and used twilight hack.

B. How do I get it to version 4.1 safely?

C. I would also like to get bootmii going, I should probably start off by getting that going.

Nniwre

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A question, I have an .iso on my computer, and I want to extract it or know what's inside. Is there a tool? I tried winrar but that didn't work.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Begby said:
I have a wii I bought a little over a year ago. I successfully installed the twilight hack and homebrew, the then current version of CIOS 249 (the one that came with the wiigator loader), and a backup loader and all was well. Then I did the safe update to 3.3. I may have done some other updates of different CIOS's for things like a DVD plauer or what not, but I don't remember. This was a long time ago, never did any other changes or mods or anything cuz' all was working ok. I don't have bootmii installed.

I recently purchased Metroid Prime Trilogy. When I ran it I let it install an update without thinking. It is now version 3.6. Homebrew channel still loads, but when I try to run the backup loader it locks up and I need to hold down the power button to restart the Wii. Non backups play fine.

A. How do I fix it so I can play my backups again? There are a lot of tutorials but most start with banner bomb. Dunno where to start though since I had that older CIOS and used twilight hack.

B. How do I get it to version 4.1 safely?

C. I would also like to get bootmii going, I should probably start off by getting that going.

3.6 wtf? There's 3.4 and then 4.0 and then 4.1. You most likely are now on 3.4. Pretty much anything you had will pretty much just get installed over, except for whatever outdated backup launcher you are using. That you should uninstall with the wad you used to install it.

Then just read through my guide/follow it or one of the guides at the end from the beginning. Even install the HBC again, it should update you to the most recent one. You COULD just run the hackmii installer from the HBC as a normal app instead of using bannerbomb, but other than that pretty much just do everything.

QUOTE(Nniwre @ Sep 3 2009, 07:43 PM) A question, I have an .iso on my computer, and I want to extract it or know what's inside. Is there a tool? I tried winrar but that didn't work.

An .iso is an image file, it's not something to extract. You burn it and play it. Do you not know what game it is or something?

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nniwre said:
A question, I have an .iso on my computer, and I want to extract it or know what's inside. Is there a tool? I tried winrar but that didn't work.

Wiscrubber can show you everything thats in the iso file as long as its a wii iso file.

The Viztard

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Hey, umm I'm new to the Wii scene, so here's my question.

Ive had my wii for maybe a year now and I've finally started to hack it. It's Ver 4.1u and I got HBC, DVDx, and BootMii installed as boot2. I recently got some apps and they've worked fine. But I'm interested in the whole wad thing now. I got v1.5 of the Wad manager and it loads correctly in hbc, but i was wonderin if it was safe to install wads this way by using the changing the ios option to IOS61, since that's what my ios is currently according to the top right in the home menu in HBC.

Is it possible and safe that way? Have I already f'ed up and shouldn't even be thinking bout doing this?

Any feedback is great! (and sorry if it takes a while for me to respond!)

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Viztard said:

Ive had my wii for maybe a year now and I've finally started to hack it. It's Ver 4.1u and I got HBC, DVDx, and BootMii installed as boot2. I recently got some apps and they've worked fine. But I'm interested in the whole wad thing now. I got v1.5 of the Wad manager and it loads correctly in hbc, but i was wonderin if it was safe to install wads this way by using the changing the ios option to IOS61, since that's what my ios is currently according to the top right in the home menu in HBC.

Is it possible and safe that way? Have I already f'ed up and shouldn't even be thinking bout doing this?

You don't have one IOS on your system. When the HBC says IOS61, it means that the HBC is running off of IOS61. The IOS you use in wad manager needs to be any IOS that has the trucha bug in it otherwise it won't install. Generally for this purpose and for loading Wii backups you would install a cIOS on your system which would install to IOS249 and then you would use that in wad manager.

Being on 4.1, if you have not done anything to get the trucha bug back or install a cIOS, you do not have the trucha bug on any IOS, so you will need to use the Trucha Bug Restorer to downgrade IOS15, use IOS15 to install IOS36 with the trucha bug and ES_Identify, and then restore IOS15, then run the cIOS rev14 installer and have that use IOS36 to install with a network installation instead of a wad installation if you have wifi on your Wii.

From that point you can then use wad manager using IOS249 to install wads. Before you do though you should make absolutely certain that the wad you are trying to install is legit. A badly formed wad can banner brick you and there are malicious wad's out there that will do this to you. If this does happen to you, you would need to use preloader or boot2 bootmii to run the HBC/wad manager to uninstall the bad wad.

Also you should not be messing around with any sort of IOS or system menu wad's at all. Other than that, keep any other vc/wiiware wad's you install so you can uninstall them if you need to. Deleting them through the system menu will not get rid of the ticket they leave on your system.

For more detailed explanations of what you need to use and how to use them, read through my guide in my sig/stickies.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The Viztard said:

You can use any trucha patched IOS, but the best is to use IOS249 (if you have it) or IOS36
If neither of the 2 work, I suggest you do the Trucha bug restorer part from xzxeros guide

The Viztard

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
oh my...haha, I didn't realize any of that, and thank you for the very thorough responses. I'll go check out your guides. thanks again!

EDIT:
sorry, another little question, is it safe to have hbc at all in my situation and be using it to play the games that go under apps and the other apps too such as mplayer ce and the emulators such as vba gx? or should i just uninstall hbc altogether to be safe?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Viztard said:
oh my...haha, I didn't realize any of that, and thank you for the very thorough responses. I'll go check out your guides. thanks again!

EDIT:
sorry, another little question, is it safe to have hbc at all in my situation and be using it to play the games that go under apps and the other apps too such as mplayer ce and the emulators such as vba gx? or should i just uninstall hbc altogether to be safe?

Safe from what? Nintendo won't send their ninja's after you for having the HBC installed. If you have bootmii installed to boot2 successfully and that boots up when you start your system, if you haven't already, you should use that to make a NAND backup of your Wii. That way, no matter what you do, you should be able to restore that NAND backup and revert your Wii back to that state for any type of brick.

You can also make more NAND backups at any point in time and treat them like system restore points to go back to how the Wii was at any of those points in time.

Loading apps from the HBC (that aren't installing anything) will not do anything to your system at all. It won't make you anymore "safe" to remove it. Just the very THOUGHT of thinking you have to uninstall anything from your Wii to be "safe" from something is more dangerous than keeping what you have there.

john1010_ma

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
nabster92 said:
You don't have one IOS on your system. When the HBC says IOS61, it means that the HBC is running off of IOS61. The IOS you use in wad manager needs to be any IOS that has the trucha bug in it otherwise it won't install. Generally for this purpose and for loading Wii backups you would install a cIOS on your system which would install to IOS249 and then you would use that in wad manager.

Being on 4.1, if you have not done anything to get the trucha bug back or install a cIOS, you do not have the trucha bug on any IOS, so you will need to use the Trucha Bug Restorer to downgrade IOS15, use IOS15 to install IOS36 with the trucha bug and ES_Identify, and then restore IOS15, then run the cIOS rev14 installer and have that use IOS36 to install with a network installation instead of a wad installation if you have wifi on your Wii.

From that point you can then use wad manager using IOS249 to install wads. Before you do though you should make absolutely certain that the wad you are trying to install is legit. A badly formed wad can banner brick you and there are malicious wad's out there that will do this to you. If this does happen to you, you would need to use preloader or boot2 bootmii to run the HBC/wad manager to uninstall the bad wad.

Also you should not be messing around with any sort of IOS or system menu wad's at all. Other than that, keep any other vc/wiiware wad's you install so you can uninstall them if you need to. Deleting them through the system menu will not get rid of the ticket they leave on your system.

For more detailed explanations of what you need to use and how to use them, read through my guide in my sig/stickies.
nabster92, as always, love your explanation.

one question: what is this 'ticket' you keep mentioning? thanks

The Viztard

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh uhh sorry. I meant safe as in if there was a chance at all that it would brick your wii? It does the occasional freezing thing so I have to reboot the Wii. Or is it that only certain apps have high chances of bricking your wii while others don't?

wertyqa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
My question is about Wiis that have modchip installed.

I´m running 3.4E with Wasabi V1 and this time RB:Beatles gives black screen. After couple of hours searching thru various threads I have come to a conclution that I can update my Wii freely from any disk to any menu since modchip allows me to play these backups anyways.

Is this correct?
And if so, is there any precautions that I should take before I do this update?

I do have HBC installed and I think I have bootmii too? All I have to get for the RB:Beatles to work is IOS56... right?

Kramzy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
help me please here
im trying to run beatles rock band i have
SM 4.1, WiiFree 2.45, Preloader installed
i can run guitar hero 5 just fine but when i wanna start the beatles it just gives me a black screen

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
john1010_ma said:
nabster92 said:

nabster92, as always, love your explanation.

one question: what is this 'ticket' you keep mentioning? thanks

You know how if you legitimately buy a VC/Wiiware game from the shop channel, even if you delete it through data management, you can still go back to the shop channel and redownload it again without having to buy it again? This is possible because deleting it through data management still leaves this "ticket" for the installed game on your system. So if the shop channel see's you still have this ticket, it will still allow you to download the game again. The only way to remove this ticket would be to use AnyTitleDeleter for a legit title and have that delete the ticket for that game (provided you can get the title id or the version of anytitledeleter shows the name of it or something) and if it's a wad of a game you can use the wad with wad manager to uninstall it and it will also remove the ticket along with the game.

The Viztard said:
Oh uhh sorry. I meant safe as in if there was a chance at all that it would brick your wii? It does the occasional freezing thing so I have to reboot the Wii. Or is it that only certain apps have high chances of bricking your wii while others don't?

If you have bootmii installed to boot2 and have used it to make a NAND backup of your Wii, even if you do brick using something, you should still be able to load bootmii and restore that backup and revert it back to that fixed state it was in when you made the backup.

Just using apps like that shouldn't cause a brick though. Only things that would affect like the system menu IOS's or the system menu itself or something should be able to brick you. (Or installing bad wad's which would install a channel on your Wii with a banner that can't be displayed by the system menu causing a brick.) That should be fixed by just uninstalling the wad that did it though, not fully restoring the NAND backup.

QUOTE(wertyqa @ Sep 4 2009, 02:46 PM) My question is about Wiis that have modchip installed.

I´m running 3.4E with Wasabi V1 and this time RB:Beatles gives black screen. After couple of hours searching thru various threads I have come to a conclution that I can update my Wii freely from any disk to any menu since modchip allows me to play these backups anyways.

Is this correct?

I do have HBC installed and I think I have bootmii too? All I have to get for the RB:Beatles to work is IOS56... right?

Modchip users should not do disc updates from anything. Those have the most likely chance to brick you. Though moreso if you downgraded from 4.0 to 3.2 or something. You should be able to update properly to 4.1 by using Waninkoko's 4.0 updater and then his 4.1 updater. That SHOULD install any IOS's you need at this point and have you on an up to date system menu, but if you want to be sure after that you can use dop-IOSv7 to scroll through the list of all the official IOS's and see if any of yours aren't up to date to the most recent ones and install them if they aren't (don't need to apply the sig hash check to them all except for IOS60, and you can ignore any stub IOS's). Also you will need a cIOS installed to be able to use dop-IOS so if you don't have one of Waninkoko's cIOS revisions installed, you should do so asap.

QUOTE(Kramzy @ Sep 4 2009, 02:52 PM)
help me please here
im trying to run beatles rock band i have
SM 4.1, WiiFree 2.45, Preloader installed
i can run guitar hero 5 just fine but when i wanna start the beatles it just gives me a black screen

No idea what WiiFree is. Is it a modchip? How did you update to 4.1? Did you just install IOS60 and the 4.1 system menu wad? If so, it's possible you may still be missing some IOS's or have some outdated ones. You should be able to run dop-IOSv7 as said above (provided you have a cIOS installed) and use that to update any IOS's that need to be updated (you can ignore any stub IOS's).

wertyqa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
nabster92 said:
wertyqa said:

Is this correct?

Modchip users should not do disc updates from anything. Those have the most likely chance to brick you. Though moreso if you downgraded from 4.0 to 3.2 or something. You should be able to update properly to 4.1 by using Waninkoko's 4.0 updater and then his 4.1 updater. That SHOULD install any IOS's you need at this point and have you on an up to date system menu, but if you want to be sure after that you can use dop-IOSv7 to scroll through the list of all the official IOS's and see if any of yours aren't up to date to the most recent ones and install them if they aren't (don't need to apply the sig hash check to them all except for IOS60, and you can ignore any stub IOS's). Also you will need a cIOS installed to be able to use dop-IOS so if you don't have one of Waninkoko's cIOS revisions installed, you should do so asap.
Thank You! Will look into this more deeply first thing in the morning. But what you are saying is never update from disk, always use modified updates? But is it still safest to downgrade from 3.4 to 3.2? Just to be on a safe side...

But... Thank You again!

P.S. I got RB:Beatles working after installing IOS56 with WadManager 1.5

Kramzy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
No idea what WiiFree is. Is it a modchip? How did you update to 4.1? Did you just install IOS60 and the 4.1 system menu wad? If so, it's possible you may still be missing some IOS's or have some outdated ones. You should be able to run dop-IOSv7 as said above (provided you have a cIOS installed) and use that to update any IOS's that need to be updated (you can ignore any stub IOS's).
[/quote]

well wiifree 2.45 is an old modchip for the wii i updated via waninkokos upadater i have the ios60 but i dont know which ios to update/use

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wertyqa said:
nabster92 said:
wertyqa said:

Is this correct?

Thank You! Will look into this more deeply first thing in the morning. But what you are saying is never update from disk, always use modified updates? But is it still safest to downgrade from 3.4 to 3.2? Just to be on a safe side...

But... Thank You again!

P.S. I got RB:Beatles working after installing IOS56 with WadManager 1.5

No don't downgrade, downgrading system menus is not necessary for anything anymore and just put's people at a higher risk of bricking. If anything update to 4.1. There isn't really any purpose in staying on 3.4. Not really anything useful that you can do on it at all and upgrading would be safer than downgrading.

QUOTE(Kramzy @ Sep 4 2009, 03:25 PM)
well wiifree 2.45 is an old modchip for the wii i updated via waninkokos upadater i have the ios60 but i dont know which ios to update/use

Do you have a cIOS installed? If you do and run dop-IOSv7, you can scroll through all the IOS's and it will say what version you have and what version is the most recent official version, so you can see if any are out of date and if they are you can have it just install the updated one from there (you can also apply the sig hash check (trucha bug) to the IOS as well, but that isn't really needed for anything outside of IOS36 and 60.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also