After ModMii installs, what .....

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey folks :)
I didn't get any responses to some of my last posts on https://gbatemp.net/threads/mystery-wii-mod.618082/
& I'm in the middle of my 1st time mod with some concerns. Maybe no responses coz I need to start another thread (?).

XFlak's modmii did it's magic (thank you), but now I left with more questions of concern.
I've been lurking here since some of you were in diapers. Much has changed.

Starting with d2x cios - It was installed on this red U.S. wii when I 1st got it. After clean/full modmii install, d2x isn't there ?
I did see during the modmii install a $hitload of ios being displayed on screen. Am I to understand that modmii has done away with d2x & uses a scripted method ?
With all the jargon of using/(un)installing ios, wads & the whatevers that can harm the wii, it's darn confusing to understand what is & isn't safe. I'm trying to explain my confusion & worries.

I only have 5 GC games & 15 wii games on my sdxc cards. This is for testing & trial purposes. The bigger game lists will follow after a convincing, successful setup.
As stated on my other thread (link above), I'm using 64gb & 256gb sdxc both with 2 partitions, consisting of 32gb fat32 (main partitions) & the rest is in NTFS partitions. No USB devices used on the wii. All seems to be working with both sdxc cards, except the gc gameplay. Only loads to game intro & then craps itself with no wiimote control (native controller OFF).

Not clear what to setup 1st, nintendont or usbloader. Then I couldn't ignore some yawmm.
Nintedont = I get as far as gc game intro, but then wiimote fails to respond & need to restart wii. All gc games info are displayed.
Usbloader = Uses nintendont with the same results. But usbloader has many other settings that refer to paths & I think partitions.

Couldn't see any of my wii games references. I guess it's the path settings ? Yes, they're on the NTFS partition, in wbfs folder.
Then I noticed some yawmm on the very last page of HB. Didn't notice it there prior. Try to do some educational reading, with no real success.
Fired-up some yawmm to see it's features & determine if it needs to implemented with nintendont &/or usbloader. That's where I lost it :(
It just listed a load of ios, wads & other stuff . No reference to what each was attached too. I was also hoping to remove channels that were left from the previous mod. A bit disappointed that all these channels weren't removed/deleted during the new modmii install. Yep, wii's internal system memory. I just didn't want geoneo, hatari, etc (8 in all) to be displayed.
This is where some yawmm setup/usage is worrying me. I simply don't know what the heck I'm doing, or even if I should be doing it ? Maybe modmii already setup some yawmm ?
Perhaps, using wii's own channel remover can free me from the unwanted channels ? But then, what if some wads &/or ios are implemented with other progs ? .... If deleted/removed will/can it effect other processes used by other progs sharing the same ?
Please, keep in mind - This is my 1st mod attempt. Keep it simple, please. Thanks :)

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Starting with d2x cios - It was installed on this red U.S. wii when I 1st got it. After clean/full modmii install, d2x isn't there ?
Are you sure d2x wasn't installed? You must do a SysCheck in order to see that.
Also, did you followed Wii.guide? Or just blindly used XFlak's software?
Haven't used XFlak's, so I'm not sure how it works, other than setting up everything your Wii needs depending on certain conditions.

What I do know is that d2x replaces Trucha-Bug, Waninkoko's and Hermes' cIOS which are outdated.

d2x cIOS is (I believe?) all your Wii needs to read backups from SD.
When you use d2x installer (a Homebrew app) it requires an internet connection to download and install it in the required IOS and slots.

The Wii is pretty old, it struggles with nowadays Wi-Fi connections, so expect to try multiple times with d2x installer, at least that's what happened to me with 4 different Wii's.
There's also the option to manually install d2x.
Here's how: https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/installation

I'm using 64gb & 256gb sdxc both with 2 partitions, consisting of 32gb fat32 (main partitions) & the rest is in NTFS partitions. No USB devices used on the wii.
No need to have partitions.
You can use a software called AOMEI to format large USB/HardDrives/SD cards to Fat32.
I have a 64GB FAT32 card that works just fine, again... format your SD cards with AOMEI.
Depending on which loader you'll use you'll need either NTFS or FAT32.
If I might suggest you something, don't use USB Loader GX... use CFG USB Loader instead, been using it for years without problems.
My setup is SD cards formated to FAT32 and using Nintendont and CFG USB Loader.

Couldn't see any of my wii games references. I guess it's the path settings ? Yes, they're on the NTFS partition, in wbfs folder.
WBFS folder... yes that's where your Wii ISOS should go.
Please do not use the WBFS format, it's pretty old and outdated. Use .iso for GameCube and .wbfs for Wii games.
CFG USB Loader won't have any problems loading .wbfs files.

Then I noticed some yawmm on the very last page of HB. Didn't notice it there prior. Try to do some educational reading, with no real success.
Fired-up some yawmm to see it's features & determine if it needs to implemented with nintendont &/or usbloader.
YAWMM? Yet Another Wad Manager? or am I confusing things?
Why are you using this?
Are you installing wads?
Did you tried to install d2x cIOS as wad?

It just listed a load of ios, wads & other stuff . No reference to what each was attached too. I was also hoping to remove channels that were left from the previous mod.
Please do not mess with IOS or cIOS if you don't know what you're installing or uninstalling.
In order to safely delete Channels you can do two things.
The first one, using any WadManager, getting the exact same wad of the channel you want to delete, that is, matching not only your Wii's region, but also matching the region and version of the channel, and simply choosing the wad and then Uninstall (whitin the WadManager)
Or use Any Title Deleter which, if I recall correctly, doesn't require the wad file of the channel you want to uninstall.

A bit disappointed that all these channels weren't removed/deleted during the new modmii install. Yep, wii's internal system memory. I just didn't want geoneo, hatari, etc (8 in all) to be displayed.
Those are not channels per se, those are Forwarders and I think you can delete them within the Wii's settings.
I once had an awful experience with Forwarders in 2009, first and last time I used one and I'm not 100% sure on what's the procedure to get rid of those.
But again, Any Title Deleter should do the job.
Are you sure you can't delete them within the Wii's Settings?

This is where some yawmm setup/usage is worrying me. I simply don't know what the heck I'm doing, or even if I should be doing it ? Maybe modmii already setup some yawmm ?
No, they're not related to each other.

Perhaps, using wii's own channel remover can free me from the unwanted channels ? But then, what if some wads &/or ios are implemented with other progs ? .... If deleted/removed will/can it effect other processes used by other progs sharing the same ?
Channels and IOS do have a correlation as long as the Channels are officially made by Nintendo.
Some features such as Internet Browser, peripherals like Voice Chat device, Rock Band instruments, etc do requires certain IOS to work properly.
Think about IOS like this: "Input Output System"
Can't use things that requires to get installed under a certain IOS slot.
cIOS are different, they're CUSTOM IOS that replaces, modifies official IOS or installs in empty IOS Slots.

So, getting rid of the Forwarders like Hatari and the others you mentioned won't affect IOS or cIOS at all.

Reason of edit: ****ing typos!

Last edited by JuanMena,

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Are you sure d2x wasn't installed? You must do a SysCheck in order to see that.
Also, did you followed Wii.guide? Or just blindly used XFlak's software?
Haven't used XFlak's, so I'm not sure how it works, other than setting up everything your Wii needs depending on certain conditions.

What I do know is that d2x replaces Trucha-Bug, Waninkoko's and Hermes' cIOS which are outdated.

d2x cIOS is (I believe?) all your Wii needs to read backups from SD.
When you use d2x installer (a Homebrew app) it requires an internet connection to download and install it in the required IOS and slots.

The Wii is pretty old, it struggles with nowadays Wi-Fi connections, so expect to try multiple times with d2x installer, at least that's what happened to me with 4 different Wii's.
There's also the option to manually install d2x.
Here's how: https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/installation

No need to have partitions.
You can use a software called AOMEI to format large USB/HardDrives/SD cards to Fat32.
I have a 64GB FAT32 card that works just fine, again... format your SD cards with AOMEI.
Depending on which loader you'll use you'll need either NTFS or FAT32.
If I might suggest you something, don't use USB Loader GX... use CFG USB Loader instead, been using it for years without problems.
My setup is SD cards formated to FAT32 and using Nintendont and CFG USB Loader.

WBFS folder... yes that's where your Wii ISOS should go.
Please do not use the WBFS format, it's pretty old and outdated. Use .iso instead fir both GameCube and Wii games.
CFG USB Loader won't have any problems loading .iso files.

YAWMM? Yet Another Wad Manager? or am I confusing things?
Why are you using this?
Are you installing wads?
Did you tried to install d2x cIOS as wad?

Please do not mess with IOS or cIOS if you don't know what you're installing or uninstalling.
In order to safely delete Channels you can do two things.
The first one, using a WadManager, getting the exact same wad of tge channel you want to delete, that is, matching not only your Wii's region, but also matching the region and cersion of the channel, amd simply choosing the wad and then Uninstall (whitin WadManager)
Or use Any Title Deleter which, if I recall correctly, doesn't require the wad file of the channel you want to uninstall.

Those are not channels per se, those are Forwarders and I think you can delete them within the Wii's settings.
I once had an awful experience with Forwarders in 2009, first and last time I used one and I'm not 100% sure on what's the procedure to get rid of those.
But again, Any Title Deleter should do the job.
Are you sure you can't delete them within the Wii's Settings?

No, they're not related to each other.

Channels and IOS do have a correlation as long as the Channels are officially made by Nintendo.
Some features such as Internet Browser, peripherals like Voice Chat device, Rock Band instruments, etc do requires certain IOS to work properly.
Think about IOS like this: "Input Output System"
Can't use things that requires to get installed under a certain IOS slot.
cIOS are different, they're CUSTOM IOS that replaces, modifies official IOS or installs in empty IOS Slots.

So, getting rid of the Forwarders like Hatari and the others you mentioned won't affect IOS or cIOS at all.

Reason of edit: ****ing typos!
Thanks for trying to sort things out.

D2X is not visible in HB (it was originally, b4 I used modmii). I can do a syscheck if needed & post it.

Yes I did modmii blindly (as 1st mod), & for that part the mod works, but "no play" with GC games.

I placed partitions there for my personal testing. My sdxc cards will be used both as SD (front of wii) & as USB (in adapter). Again, for my testing purposes.
I'm aware that HDD's are ideal.

Wasn't going to use wbfs partition/s. Just folder/s, & wbfs files (for wii games). NKit.ISO's for GC games. No plans yet to use other emulators.

The only visible progs in HB are :
- USBLoader
- Hackmii installer
- Nintendont
- Priiloader installer
- Priiloader launch
- Some YAWMM
That's what modmii installed (visibly).

No, I haven't tried to install D2X. That's why I posed my question/s (c)IOS.
I don't plan to install wads or other (c)IOS's. I thought modmii does all that automatically ? Unless extra modding is required (not in my case).

Forwarders ? I know what they're meant to do. They appear as channels in wii's channels. I did look at the games that they forwarded, & I wasn't impressed. It's just taking up the channel space/slots for my future GC games (if I ever get that far).
I need solid verification on how to safely remove those channels (permanently), without loss of any other HB prog/s features. That's why I won't try to delete/remove them using the wii. Ask questions 1st, & when safe, shoot ;)
Those channels consist of :
- SNES 9XGX
- FCE Ultra GX
- Coleco vision
- Sega
- Nintendont (I doubt it's from the new modmii install)
- Wii64
- Hu-Go turbo
- Commodore
- MAME
- VBAGX
- Atari 2600
Misread Atari as Hatari (my bad). Obviously, Hatari was on the old sdxc card.

The usual other channels :
- Mii
- Weather channel
- Internet channel
- News channel
- Wii shop channel
- Photo channel
- Check mii out channel
If I can do without, then they can also go.

This red U.S. wii is NTSC, & I'm in Au (Pal region). It came loaded with heaps of games (crappy games that weren't configured to play), a possible virus (pc virus), & the $hit-stain that sold it to me also removed Priiloader. Yeah, he's in USA. Fake name & address on postal info. I got screwed, big time.
I will only use Pal games (wii & GC only). Pal is the norm here.
Now you have me more worried about region (c)ios's :(
That's why I tried to look into Some YAWMM & see what & how to use it. I already explained the outcome trying to read the YAWMM text on screen. I need a drink ;)

No confusion intended, but I'm confused & worried, already.
More drinks/shots needed ;)
Post automatically merged:

Also, regarding D2X ..... I manually checked the contents of the sdxc cards, but not there either :( Not much else is there (not as visible files).

Last edited by morning_glory,

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
D2X is not visible in HB (it was originally, b4 I used modmii). I can do a syscheck if needed & post it.
You mean... the program right?
Go here and download it. Also, follow the guide.
This site is trusted and has everything you need: https://wii.guide/cios.html
Please follow exactly word by word.

Yes I did modmii blindly (as 1st mod), & for that part the mod works, but "no play" with GC games.
Please have in mind tha XFlak's aoftware only puts in your SD card (or USB) whatever you tell the aoftware you're going to use. At least that's as far as I know.
I'm not sure if it also downloads stuff like cIOS or IOS.
The readon why "GC games no play" is because either you still don't have cIOS d2X installed or you might be using bad GC dumps.
Again: According to many sites, cIOS d2x is all you need to have a functional softmoded Wii.
Please follow Wii.guide in order to install d2x and for the love of god install PriiLoader and BootMii and make a NAND backup with BootMii.

The only visible progs in HB are :
- USBLoader
- Hackmii installer
- Nintendont
- Priiloader installer
- Priiloader launch
- Some YAWMM
That's what modmii installed (visibly).
Just a note, these programs ate not "installed" per se.
These are removable, and re-downloadable... it won't affect you in any way to delete these files from your SD or USB.
In your device, if you plug it in a computer or phone with file management, you should see at the very root of your debice a folder called apps.
In apps is where all Homebrew Applications/Programs must go.
Each application/prigram must consist of 3 things:
boot.dol (being the program itself)
icon.png (the icon displayed in HB Channel)
meta.xml (this dusplays information in HB Channel such as name of app/date/author/short&long description)

You can freely delete these within the apps folder in order to replace, update or outdate your applications.
It's always recommended to use the latest versions of all apps you want to use. But given your current state of confusion, I'd like to suggest you to delete everything and start from scratch.

But since you've mentioned that the Wii you own has already been modified, it is highly suggested that you should get a 2GB or 4GB SD card, download SysCheck and do a SysCheck.
Save the SysChek as .txt file, and copy it's contents of said .txt file and paste it here as a comment.

We need to see what's been modified before we priceed with anything else.

Again: Do a SysCheck with a small storage SD, post it here, forget about everything else for now.

About these:
The usual other channels :
- Mii
- Weather channel
- Internet channel
- News channel
- Wii shop channel
- Photo channel
- Check mii out channel
If I can do without, then they can also go.
Again: use AnyTitleDeleter, or use a WadManager.
AnyTitleDeleter is just selecting the channel you want to delete.
WadManager will require a matching version of the channel you want to delete but as a wad file.

This red U.S. wii is NTSC, & I'm in Au (Pal region). It came loaded with heaps of games (crappy games that weren't configured to play), a possible virus (pc virus), & the $hit-stain that sold it to me also removed Priiloader. Yeah, he's in USA. Fake name & address on postal info. I got screwed, big time.
I will only use Pal games (wii & GC only). Pal is the norm here.
Yes kinda... BUT PriiLoader has a file called hacks.ini that will allow you to make your Wii RegionFree.
So you can just reinstall PriiLoader, enable the hacks and you'll be good to go.
But don't get excited just yet! WE NEED A SYSCHECK REPORT FIRST.

There's no way a Nintendo Wii can get infected with Viruses.
Also, it'd be wise to completely factory format your Wii console if you're worried about it.

Also, you bought it from US seller? That means your Wii must be NTSC-U
Go to the Wii Settings and look for a number with a letter on the top of your screen.
Let us know what it says.

@morning_glory let me put a direct emphasis on what we need to help you properly:
- Download SysCheck: https://wiibrew.org/wiki/SysCheck
- Get a 2GB or 4GB SD card, put SysCheck there. Must be in a folder called apps within your SD's root.
Should be like this: apps -> SysCheck -> [boot.dol] [icon.png] [meta.xml]
Perform a SysCheck, save it, open it with text editor in computer, copy every single line of text and paste it as a comment here.
- Check your Wii's Region by going to the Wii Settings and look for the Number + Letter on top of your screen.

- FORGET ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE JUST DO THOSE TWO EASY STEPS BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANYTHING ELSE

Last edited by JuanMena,
Reactions: jeannotte

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GC games should be in FAT32 formatted partition in order for them to work. And i don't recommend having a 2 partition at all, they're not built to handle such stress, without mentioning that the Wii itself could have trouble with multiple partitions. Also i don't recommend storing your Wii games on the sd.
As for the cIOSs, do a syscheck and post it here, and we'll take a look at it to see if you're missing any softmods.

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Which syscheck would you like ? :
- (folder) SysCheck HacksDen Edition (newer) - SysCheckHDE.zip
or ....
- (folder) syscheck Version 1.6.2 (final version) - SysCheck162.zip

Can't remember the one I used once before. Maybe they're both the same (?).
Into apps folder, correct ? Seriously, couldn't find not one tutorial that states this. Just extract it to you sd card :(

As a last resort, I'm prepared to wipe the wii's internal memory, & then redo with modmii. I was thinking to do that, but wasn't sure what happens if non-nand (backup) wiis would brick after wiping (?). These (c)ios & D2X are worrying me, & what if they ever need changing/updating or removing ? And then there's the wads, dols etc. Really thought it was going to be easier, but it's more complicated :(

CoolMe - The partitioning is a theoretical test (for me). There's a little more to it than meets the eye. The combinations of large/huge sdxc, with wii SD slot, with USB adapter, using &/or merging partitions (if & when needed) .... all for freedom of choice.
Your reason/s for not wanting to store wii games on sd card/s ? If the same can be done with other usb devices .... or am I just too ambitious ?

Thanks for the responses :)

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Which syscheck would you like ? :
- (folder) SysCheck HacksDen Edition (newer) - SysCheckHDE.zip
or ....
- (folder) syscheck Version 1.6.2 (final version) - SysCheck162.zip
Hacksden edition should be fine.

As a last resort, I'm prepared to wipe the wii's internal memory, & then redo with modmii.
Formatting won't get rid of any modifications to IOS or cIOS.
In order to get rid of such modification's you must install a brand new System Menu or recover from a NAND before it was modified.

Please do not worry about this and just post the SysCheck report as text. ^_^

Reactions: CoolMe

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 12.18.2008
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 144844385
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v4
Found 126 titles.
Found 48 IOS on this console. 15 of them are stubs.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 6944): No Patches
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS236[36] (rev 65535, Info: rev 3351): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS249[56] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[37] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS251[58] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 10/25/2022.

Well, I'm definitely not going to install anything as channels.
It looks like it will be a system install - No NAND backup :(
Hope this report helps. Thanks

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IOS249[56] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[37] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS251[58] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
It should be IOS249 with base [57] not [56].
IOS250 with base [56], not [37].
And IOS251 with base [38], not [58].
Use ModMii or the Wii.guide to get the needed cIOS wad files, and install them with d2x cIOS Installer.
Your reason/s for not wanting to store wii games on sd card/s ? If the same can be done with other usb devices .
It's because not all Wii games work from the sd card, without mentioning the sdcard reader is slow compared to usb speed, and generally less wear & tear on the sd reader..

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks CoolMe.

Wii games & sdxc compatibility will be compared to USB sdxc adapter performance.

Confusion reigns .... This syscheck prog, what exactly does it look at ?
SD card content, wii's internal memory content or both ?
How would you know where the issues are ?
What was deleted/replaced after new modmii install ? What remained (wii mem)
This was a new/full modmii install. Did I do something wrong ? ....Wait !! Just a recap :

- I checked both Gigastone 64gb & evo+ 256gb sdxc cards with h2testw = All good
- Partitioned & formatted them in both, Fat32 (32gb) & NTFS (the leftovers).
- Copied 13 assorted wii games, original dvd rips used with wiibafu to wbfs format.
- Copied 5 assorted GC games (vimms) in .nkit.
I thought it better to place games on sdxc cards prior to using modmii. Rather hoping that modmii would take into account what's already on the sdxc cards & do the correct setup/install.

- Placed/copied modmii folders/files to sdxc, ran modmii on the wii & all went well.
I didn't look to closely to what modmii was doing on my laptop screen, using wizard.

- Started the install & all looked well.
- Installed & ran priiloader (with launcher). Set priiloader to the suggested & enabled progressive vid mode (something like that for Pal).
- Started ninendont to see what needs to be done. Got the 5 GC titles displayed.
Tried running them, but wiimote failed at game intros. Tried placing games in individual folders (waste of time) = Fail. Undid that.
- Started usbloader with the same intentions. That just put nintendont back into action. Then noticed there was much more to usbloader settings. Game setup paths !
By this time, I was skeptical as to what I may not be aware of.

Didn't see some yawmm on the last wii slide page. Loaded it, & felt like WTF !
Just (c)ios & the like text. No reference as to what belongs to what. Just numbers & text. At this stage, I was thinking why I didn't take the blue pill.
After googling about channel removal, I was hoping some yawmm would possibly help.

Was thinking of totally wiping this wii clean, try to reinstall 4.3U system & try all this again.
I also have a feeling that I forgot some major steps that lead to successful game-play.
All this talk of using D2X, how dangerous it can be & how easy it is to use .... That sealed it. Maybe I need goodnight's sleep. Answers are coming, Neo ;)
Thank you muchly :)

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just install those cIOSs i talked about on my previous reply, otherwise your Syscheck is fine and you are not missing any softmods.

Also, you can create (and should) a nand backup with BootMii regardless of which Wii revision you have, after doing that you can install any wad you want. and in case of a brick you'd use it to restore the system. And you can make a nand backup any time you want really, if you want to do that regularly..
I would steer away from VC Injects (wads) and themes as they're the ones that can cause bricks (most of the time that's the case anyway).

And it's up to you if you want to store your Wii/GC etc. Games on your sd cards, i just gave a suggestion..

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wii games & sdxc compatibility will be compared to USB sdxc adapter performance.
You'll have a better performance using the USB Port0 which is the nearest to the edge of the console.
SD card is slower compared to USB port. Is it noticeable? Not really. But there0s that.
Confusion reigns .... This syscheck prog, what exactly does it look at ?
There are IOS that requires to get patched or modified with cIOS.
Given your report, I can tell that you're only missing cIOS-d2x to which again, you'll need to install with d2x installer if you want to read from SD.
That's pretty much all you need to know. As CoolMe stated, follow Wii.guide to install d2x.
Again, that's all you have to do.
Don't forget to create a backup of your NAND with BootMii and also, install PriiLoader.
Wii.guide will guide you through that, you can also reinstall Homebrew Channel if you want, it won't affect in anything, but it'd be nice to make sure that Homebrew Channel is installed under IOS58 as this will allow the Homebrew Channel to read from USB FASTER.
SD card content, wii's internal memory content or both ?
How would you know where the issues are ?
What was deleted/replaced after new modmii install ? What remained (wii mem)
This was a new/full modmii install. Did I do something wrong ? ....Wait !! Just a recap :
Judging by your SysCheck, there's nothing occupying your NAND (Wii's internal memory) so no worries. The only thing that seems to have been modified is TruchaBug Access, which is something we used to do back when all this started.
Basically, the Wii you got has been hacked around 2009/2010 and hasn't been modified ever since.
Don't worry about anything of this though.
Again, judging by your SysCheck, it was hacked a long, long, long time ago.
It looks fine!
- Placed/copied modmii folders/files to sdxc, ran modmii on the wii & all went well.
I didn't look to closely to what modmii was doing on my laptop screen, using wizard.
Yep! ModMii on PC isn't very begginer or user friendly. Doesn't matter though, your console is fine.
- Installed & ran priiloader (with launcher). Set priiloader to the suggested & enabled progressive vid mode (something like that for Pal).
In order to see if you do have PriiLoader installed, turn off your console.
Hold RESET button, and turn on your console WHILE HOLDING RESSET BUTTON.
It should boot to PriiLoader instead to Wii's Home Menu.
After you're sure you can get to PriiLoader by holding RESSET at boot, you can delete PriiLoader from SD, since it's already installed in your Wii.
Also, be 100% sure you too have BootMii installed.
The way to make sure you have BootMii is by having the BootMii files on SD, and from Homebrew Channel, press MINUS(-) and select Launch BootMii or something like that.
If you do get into BootMii, you can then save the BootMii files in your PC or a cloud service and forget about it until you need to restore a NAND backup.
About your Wii and GC games... DO NOT PARTITION SD CARDS. There's no need to do so. You better format your SDXC cards with AOMEI to FAT32 and that's all you'll have to do to have working SDXC cards without problems.
In order to load Wii backups from SD use CFG USb LOADER.
In order to load GCN backups from SD use NINTENDONT.
Do not mess with the folders that are required in each programs. You can't place games anywhere you want other than their hardcoded routes.
Also, make sure you don't use .nkit files for Gamecube games. Use .iso instead.
For Wii games .wbfs is fine, just don't format your drives or SD cards to WBFS please. Don't do that.
Both .iso and .wbfs will be read just fine from a FAT32 SD card with 32KB cluster size.
Do not do like FAT or NTFS or WBFS partitions nor formats. Use FAT32 exclusively.
Didn't see some yawmm on the last wii slide page. Loaded it, & felt like WTF !
Just (c)ios & the like text. No reference as to what belongs to what. Just numbers & text. At this stage, I was thinking why I didn't take the blue pill.
After googling about channel removal, I was hoping some yawmm would possibly help
Just like I told you, you do not mess with WAD files unless you're installing WiiWare or Virtual Console games. Other than that, you don't need to use YAWMM... also, don't use YAWMM use WadManagerMOD instead.
YAWMM is pretty old and outdated... WadManagerMOD too, but it's overall better.
Again, unless you have WiiWare or Virtual Console WADS to install, you do not require a Wad Manager.
Use AnyTitleDeleter to delete the channels you don't need.
Just don't uninstall the Disc Channel please.
Was thinking of totally wiping this wii clean, try to reinstall 4.3U system & try all this again.
I also have a feeling that I forgot some major steps that lead to successful game-play.
Like I told you, you can't get rid of modifications such as IOS or cIOS with a "wipping out"... it doesn't work like that.
Forget about this idea, you can't do it and it's not needed.
About your problems with Gamecube Games... like I told you before... you're using the wrong format.
Don't use .nkit. Use .iso instead.
For Wii both .wbfs and .iso works fine with CFG USB LOADER.

All this talk of using D2X, how dangerous it can be & how easy it is to use .... That sealed it. Maybe I need goodnight's sleep. Answers are coming, Neo ;)
Thank you muchly :)
It's not? Just make sure you have a stable Internet connection in your Wii and just follow instructions from Wii.guide
You don't have to do this more difficult than you already think it is.
Again, it's not...
And your console is fine, just delete the Forwarders (non-Nintendo channels) from the Wii's Settings.

Reactions: CoolMe

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Wow, so much to read... So I didn't, lol. Just wanted to say that ModMii does install d2x cios's, in fact it was the original d2x cios installer until a wii app also eventually came out. Modmii will build the cios in wad form and have u install it in batch along with a bunch of other wads, cutting down on steps. The end result between installing it this way or with the d2x cios installer wii app is the same.

Sorry if this was already explained somewhere above, tldr, lol

Edit: to clean up a couple of items like wrong cios bases etc, drag and drop your syscheck.csv onto modmii.exe and it will tell you what to do. I imagine if u have wrong bases installed it's due to manually running the cios installer and user error. Wii.guide is fine to use as well, end result will be the same

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks for all the info/help/advice.

Before reading these last posts, I prepared another fat32 (only & no other partitions),32gb sdHC (sandisk).
Used modmii classic (blue screen - not wizard). Selected the same settings as prior, copied the same GC games to games folder. BTW - 3 GC games are .ISO & 2 are .nkit.
Also placed syscheck in apps (for future use).
Copied modmii folders/files to sdHC & fired-up the wii for another modmii install.
No letterbomb icon at all. Tried going 1 month, backwards & forwards. Simply not there.
Thought perhaps priiloader settings need to be all reconfigured to "disable". Tried that & didn't help. Simply, no letterbomb thingy to start the mod :(
Any ideas why this happened ?

CoolMe, Juanbanana & XFlak - I'm not ignoring any of your inputs. Just trying to compute 'em all in my head. I will try & use all the help provided. Brain/instinct needs to make sense, or I will simply think, screw-it & take the leap (after logical understanding fails & frustration kicks in).
I am truly grateful for all the help/advice provided.

I will do another modmii prep on another sdHC, but this time I will use modmii-wizard (like the first time). Running low with spare sd cards. 1 sd is old/used & the rest all new.
I couldn't sleep, woke at 5am & started the above stated. Currently in the middle of setting up my last sdHC card & retry with modmii wizard.

BTW - I looked & compared the folders & files between the 1st lot of sdXC & the present sdHC modmii preps. No WFL & CFG were present on the 2 sdXC cards (I did select ALL to install). But on this latest sdHC install, both are there.
Pity I couldn't start the modmii on the wii (no mail notification).

CoolMe - :
Also, you can create (and should) a nand backup with BootMii regardless of which Wii revision you have, after doing that you can install any wad you want. and in case of a brick you'd use it to restore the system. And you can make a nand backup any time you want really, if you want to do that regularly..
I would steer away from VC Injects (wads) and themes as they're the ones that can cause bricks (most of the time that's the case anyway).

I didn't know there's another way to make nand backup on the wiis that can only do the (c)ios way ?

As far any other emulators .... I'm only sticking with wii & GC games. Not even sure if GC is classified as VC or anything other ?

Juanbanana - :
You make it all sound too simple & easy (thanks).
Just think of my understanding as a Tetris game. All block need to fall into place before proceeding further. ATM, it's not happening, but I will get there :)

Off to see the wizard (again) ;)

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks for all the info/help/advice.

Before reading these last posts, I prepared another fat32 (only & no other partitions),32gb sdHC (sandisk).
Used modmii classic (blue screen - not wizard). Selected the same settings as prior, copied the same GC games to games folder. BTW - 3 GC games are .ISO & 2 are .nkit.
Also placed syscheck in apps (for future use).
Copied modmii folders/files to sdHC & fired-up the wii for another modmii install.
No letterbomb icon at all. Tried going 1 month, backwards & forwards. Simply not there.
Thought perhaps priiloader settings need to be all reconfigured to "disable". Tried that & didn't help. Simply, no letterbomb thingy to start the mod :(
Any ideas why this happened ?
Why are you trying to use an entry point when your Wii is already hacked?
Please explain what you're trying to achive with this.
CoolMe, Juanbanana & XFlak - I'm not ignoring any of your inputs. Just trying to compute 'em all in my head. I will try & use all the help provided. Brain/instinct needs to make sense, or I will simply think, screw-it & take the leap (after logical understanding fails & frustration kicks in).
I am truly grateful for all the help/advice provided.
Same! I can't stop thinking about things until I understand them.
But seriously dude, your Wii is already hacked, I don't understand why you're doing all of this when all you need to do is to install d2x, make a NAND backup with BootMii and install PriiLoader.
That's literally all... LITERALLY.
I will do another modmii prep on another sdHC, but this time I will use modmii-wizard (like the first time). Running low with spare sd cards. 1 sd is old/used & the rest all new.
I couldn't sleep, woke at 5am & started the above stated. Currently in the middle of setting up my last sdHC card & retry with modmii wizard.
Why?
I didn't know there's another way to make nand backup on the wiis that can only do the (c)ios way ?
What? You sound a bit confused here.
A NAND Backup is literally a copy of your entire Wii's Operative System.
In case you install something like a dumb theme or an injected wad, and suddenly your Wii won't display anything anymore, you'll have to restore the Wii's Operative System with your own NAND Backup.
Since bricked Wii's won't display anything, it's imperative that it's owner must install PriiLoader to gain access to Homebrew Channel through RESET button, and then BootMii to restore the NAND. The way this works is that PriiLoader loads before the Wii's Operating System (in a manner of speaking) which will grant you access to recovery tools, these being PriiLoader + BootMii + NAND Backup. :yaywii:
That's literally why we are telling you to do this before you go crazy with other stuff.
As far any other emulators .... I'm only sticking with wii & GC games. Not even sure if GC is classified as VC or anything other ?
Virtual Console refers to the long gone service that Nintendo offered through the internet. A Wii user could buy N64 games, SNES, NES, SEGA, NEOGEO, TURBOGRAFX even ARCADE games through the Virtual Console system.
Hence, Virtual Console.
But you can download these games as WAD files and install them with WadManager or YAWMM as you seem to be hooked on that version.
You make it all sound too simple & easy (thanks).
Just think of my understanding as a Tetris game. All block need to fall into place before proceeding further. ATM, it's not happening, but I will get there :)
I know, it's called OCD. I have it too.
Don't worry, we're just trying to help you.

Last edited by JuanMena,

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Why are you trying to use an entry point when your Wii is already hacked?
Please explain what you're trying to achive with this.
Because I seem to have different outcomes using modmii wizard & classic.
A new hack seems logical (to me) to at least to compare where things are going wrong.
But seriously dude, your Wii is already hacked, I don't understand why you're doing all of this when all you need to do is to install d2x, make a NAND backup with BootMii and install PriiLoader.
That's literally all... LITERALLY.
Yes, it maybe hacked, but modmii is not doing what I'm expecting, & until I get more understanding to use D2X & feel confident in using it, I will struggle.
Why ? Because I can. I feel comfortable & confident in doing another full modmii install, but that's not working. My wii now won't detect the new mail notification so I can re-apply the hacks from the beginning.
What? You sound a bit confused here.
A NAND Backup is literally a copy of your entire Wii's Operative System.
In case you install something like a dumb theme or an injected wad, and suddenly your Wii won't display anything anymore, you'll have to restore the Wii's Operative System with your own NAND Backup.
Since bricked Wii's won't display anything, it's imperative that it's owner must install PriiLoader to gain access to Homebrew Channel through RESET button, and then BootMii to restore the NAND. The way this works is that PriiLoader loads before the Wii's Operating System (in a manner of speaking) which will grant you access to recovery tools, these being PriiLoader + BootMii + NAND Backup. :yaywii:
That's literally why we are telling you to do this before you go crazy with other stuff.
How can I backup the nand when I don't have that option ? I can only use ios for this part (?). Am I missing something ? I have stated this many times, already.
Virtual Console refers to the long gone service that Nintendo offered through the internet. A Wii user could buy N64 games, SNES, NES, SEGA, NEOGEO, TURBOGRAFX even ARCADE games through the Virtual Console system.
Hence, Virtual Console.
But you can download these games as WAD files and install them with WadManager or YAWMM as you seem to be hooked on that version.
My question was directed to know if GC games were a part of VC features.
Not hooked on anything that doesn't work. Anyway, some yawmm is way to confusing for me attempt anything. You also stated not to use it, but to use another MMM.
I know, it's called OCD. I have it too.
Don't worry, we're just trying to help you.
Should be called KnowCD ;) And, thank you :)

=====================================================================

Why can't I RE-mod with modmii (from scratch) ? It simply doesn't give me option to start with the mail notification bomb (forgot the name). Also, the rest of the installs are the same as my 1st. It's like it didn't do anything.
Is it that I have to keep RE-installing modmii to my pc ? Re-using the same modmii isn't doing the task ? :(

The same happened with my 2nd 32gb sdHC. I used the wizard & the WFL & CFG didn't appear in HB channel. Needless to say, it failed as with the sdXC cards.

Am I wrong in expecting modmii to totally setup all the other progs (usbloader, nintendont, some yawmm & whatever), automatically ?
I get 2 different outcomes using wizard & classic. Sadly, both just lead to the game's demo/intro & locks the wiimote.

I have to give it rest for now. Wife wants to watch TV & I'm not allowed to use/test using the TV. I only have a few hours in the morning to experiment. Happy wife, happy life ;)

Next, I will try using a USB install/setup.
I will use an actual 256gb USB sandisk stick, in both fat32 & NTFS partitions (per stick).
But, I have (what you call) a dumb question :
Having NEVER used or SEEN the "SD cards-less" method with any modmii install. How & where do you place the modmii install files ? No SD card required ? How would you install it ? Directly to & from USB ? Or are there some remanence left-over from previous mods in the wii's internal mem ? Or ..... ? Told you it was a dumb question :(
You will most likely answer with ...... Place files on SD card, but choose SD card-less method for install/setup. Verification needed, please ? It's looking like I have to try everything for myself, but I thought I'd ask 1st.

D2X will be used, soon enough (& other progs). My thought patterns & plans have to align. Time is not an issue.
Hey, you could be right .... KnowCD &/or autism ;)

Thanks muchly :) (The laughs are on me for my stupid questions)

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What other way? You create nand backups with BootMii, which is what i recommended. And it's the only app on the Wii that can do that..
No, they're not (because you don't install them as wad files).. I was talking about Virtual Console wad Injects specifically, since you probably don't know what that is, just don't worry about it..

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It seems like you're totally failing at following both CoolMe's and my instructions.
I don't know if my English is not good enough but I keep failing to understand what you're trying to do.

Your console is already hacked.
If you keep doing the same mistakes such as not installing d2x and using .nkit files, you're gonna have the same priblems.
No, you can't get rid of previous hack without restoring NAND before it was modified.
Yes you can try to "RE-mod" your Wii but you'll end up with the same result.

And to be quite honest, it's been 3 days straight from us telling you what to do, not to worry about anything else and just follow instructions, so if you're still doing whatever the heck you feel like doing, there's no point on us continuing with this, because again, you're doing what you want. So I think I'm done here.

I'm totally aware that I'm not an expert, but at least I'm trying to help you through my own experience of perfectly hacking 4 Wii consoles.
In case you do manage to follow our instructions, feel free to ask for help. In the meantime I'm not bothering any longer.

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What other way? You create nand backups with BootMii, which is what i recommended. And it's the only app on the Wii that can do that..
This/my wii can only do bootmii as ios.
I am aware that it could be somewhat possible to restore those ios nand backups with bootmii, HBC & GC controller. Touchy subject to press a+b+x+y etc.
Strangely, I can't find any references as how to make a backup, for a start. It's all about restoring it, & that's sounds very complicated. Have better things on my bucket-list.

Please, do tell me other ways to make my wii use bootmii as boot2.

No, they're not (because you don't install them as wad files).. I was talking about Virtual Console wad Injects specifically, since you probably don't know what that is, just don't worry about it..
Yeah, not worth it.

And to be quite honest, it's been 3 days straight from us telling you what to do, not to worry about anything else and just follow instructions, so if you're still doing whatever the heck you feel like doing, there's no point on us continuing with this, because again, you're doing what you want. So I think I'm done here.

I'm totally aware that I'm not an expert, but at least I'm trying to help you through my own experience of perfectly hacking 4 Wii consoles.
In case you do manage to follow our instructions, feel free to ask for help. In the meantime I'm not bothering any longer.
That's fine. Thanks for your input.
At least I know why my RE-hacks aren't working.

Last edited by morning_glory,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This/my wii can only do bootmii as ios.
Same thing, you still can make a nand backup with it..
I am aware that it could be somewhat possible to restore those ios nand backups with bootmii, HBC & GC controller.
It's a nand backup, not ios nand backup.
Touchy subject to press a+b+x+y etc.
??
Strangely, I can't find any references as how to make a backup, for a start. It's all about restoring it,
When you first power on the system it should boot directly to BootMii, unless you've set it to go to straight to hbc or usbloadergx. In that case, you can launch it from the hbc. Once inside BootMii configurator, the option to make a nand backup is literally the 2nd option to the right (iirc), you just run it and let it do its thing.
Note that you should have the BootMii files on the sd card in order to boot it.
& that's sounds very complicated. Have better things on my bucket-list.
Not complicated at all, but again, it's up to you if you want be brick-proof or brick-vulnerable? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Please, do tell me other ways to make my wii use bootmii as boot2.
Uh, if you don't the original model then it can't. And it's not a big deal really, as having BootMii as ios does the job just the same.

Click on the link i linked to above to see how it's done.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto