Question about SNEEK setup via ModMii wizard

sockscap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I received this Wii console recently. The USB drive was formated with a FAT32 partition (with apps) and a NTFS partition (with games).

I'm trying to use ModMii wizard for SNEEK & EmuNAND setup. I only read some info about it from the tutorial. This is the first time I try it. I may have misunderstanding about this feature. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The main purposes are:
1. To install WiiWare/VC on EmuNAND, so it's not limited to 512MB total size.
2. Game saves in EmuNAND.

The wizard shows 4 types of SNEEK, USEEK+DI seems to be the best (SEEK+DI only supports EmuNAND on SD which will be slower). However, from the description, it seems USEEK+DI also has some limitations. So comes my questions:

1. It says "Load Wii games off FAT32 USB drive". Does that mean, the current FAT32+NTFS layout won't work?
2. It doesn't mention GameCube games. So if I format the USB drive with a single FAT32 partition, and put GameCube games on it, is it supported? Does it load Nintendont properly?
3. It says "You can load apps off SD card". This is strange, the USB has a FAT32 partition, but I cannot put apps on it?
4. If I only want to achieve the two purposes above, do I have to choose either UNEEK or SNEEK? Cannot I only implement EmuNAND? I'm asking this because I see EmuNAND related options in USB loaders. Do they require UNEEK or SNEEK to function?
Post automatically merged:

I find this guide, it seems cIOS EmuNAND is more suitable for my needs.

I guess WiiFlow Lite & Configurable USB Loader also have similar features. If I use multiple USB loaders, should I keep their EmuNAND folder in different locations?

I'm not sure if the other 2 USB loaders can customize the path like USB Loader GX does. If not, and they happen to use the same EmuNAND folder, will it cause conflict?

Any suggestions?

Last edited by sockscap,

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
neek and an emunand are related but different.

An emunand is just the wii's filesystem saved to an external device like sd or usb. U can saves mii's, gamesaves, wiiware/channels here. Usbloaders can access this without neek. This is likely what you want.

The pros and cons you're reading are for neek, not an emunand. Neek requires an emunand, but an emunand does not require neek. An emunand is basically the same whether it is saved on sd or usb, u can copy it from 1 place to the other and use it for pretty much all 4 variations of neek.

Neek is basically launching an emunand, so that when you launch the official system menu, it showing u what is on the emunand and not in the wii's real nand/memory. When running sneek the wii is tricked into thinking the sd card contains the nand, which is why it won't detect there's an SD card, preventing u from launching apps this way (unless u enable sd access in the options, which may result in issues because sd is used for emunand and other things simultaneously).

+di is basically the ability to launch game backups via the disk channel when running neek. But again even if u don't use this, u can still launch backups via other methods like USB loaders.

On another note, 100% fat32 is generally recommended over a fat32/ntfs combo. Large wii games can still fit on a fat32 partition as they can be split into parts and still launched by loaders

Edit: there's no reason why you can't use the same emunand for all the usb loaders.

Last edited by XFlak,

sockscap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
neek and an emunand are related but different.

An emunand is just the wii's filesystem saved to an external device like sd or usb. U can saves mii's, gamesaves, wiiware/channels here. Usbloaders can access this without neek. This is likely what you want.

The pros and cons you're reading are for neek, not an emunand. Neek requires an emunand, but an emunand does not require neek. An emunand is basically the same whether it is saved on sd or usb, u can copy it from 1 place to the other and use it for pretty much all 4 variations of neek.

Neek is basically launching an emunand, so that when you launch the official system menu, it showing u what is on the emunand and not in the wii's real nand/memory. When running sneek the wii is tricked into thinking the sd card contains the nand, which is why it won't detect there's an SD card, preventing u from launching apps this way (unless u enable sd access in the options, which may result in issues because sd is used for emunand and other things simultaneously).

+di is basically the ability to launch game backups via the disk channel when running neek. But again even if u don't use this, u can still launch backups via other methods like USB loaders.

On another note, 100% fat32 is generally recommended over a fat32/ntfs combo. Large wii games can still fit on a fat32 partition as they can be split into parts and still launched by loaders

Edit: there's no reason why you can't use the same emunand for all the usb loaders.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Now I understand it better.

Could you also comment to my updated notes in #1 post? I guess all major 3 USB loaders (USB Loader GX, WiiFlow Lite & Configurable USB Loader) support this cIOS EmuNAND feature.

If I plan to use multiple USB loaders, I should configure their EmuNAND path to be the same, so they can share and it won't cause any conflict (as you mention an emunand is basically the same) . Am I correct?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Yes it's fine if they share the same emunand/path (I actually edited my post above when I saw your first post got expanded)

Edit: FYI u can build a fresh empty emunand using modmii, or u can dump your real nand to an external device using usb loader gx's features menu (Wiiflow may also offer this). Or u could take a nand.bin bootmii backup and extract its contents using modmii or showmiiwads or nand extract etc

sockscap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it's fine if they share the same emunand/path (I actually edited my post above when I saw your first post got expanded)

Edit: FYI u can build a fresh empty emunand using modmii, or u can dump your real nand to an external device using usb loader gx's features menu (Wiiflow may also offer this). Or u could take a nand.bin bootmii backup and extract its contents using modmii or showmiiwads or nand extract etc
Thanks! Sorry I didn't see it when I replied.

Reactions: XFlak

King Harkinian

I wonder what's for dinner?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, figured I'd reply to this thread because I too am having a very similar issue. I want to install Sneek + DI so I can install wads to my SD card more conveniently than installing to the Wii NAND. I ran the first time setup for Sneek in the wizard, picked my settings and renamed the folder to bootmii. Now my Wii has been sitting on a black screen for over 40 minutes. Is this to be expected or did I set something up wrong?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto