Update to 5.5.4 and follow the guide

Ewpb likes this.
  3. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I'll quote myself as I posted it few days ago for 5.5.3, and it's likely to work the same for 5.5.4.

It seems 5.5.4 is released only on Europe/Australia, and is just a GRPD compliance update (no idea what they changed from 5.5.3 to 5.5.4 as it was already done for that purpose).

Everyone can confirm the System menu is identical ? did you spot any differences? any new or deleted checkbox or option to enable/disable?

Last edited by Cyan, Jul 2, 2019
    Ewpb likes this.
  4. toxic9

toxic9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 13, 2016

I didn't find any difference!

Cyan likes this.
  5. Aquariosmcv2

Aquariosmcv2 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2019
    Brazil
    Hello everyone. I'm new to this Wii U world, just got one those days and was readying a bit about it. I saw that he have a CBHC in him, but when I connected to the internet he wanted to update the console (USA version console). I dont know the console version (it show 99.999) but I think it's in 5.51. Can I update it with the CBHC or should I desinstall the CBHC and update with the Haxchi only? Thanks everyone and sorry anything

6. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    when you boot, press home button on the gamepad to access the boot menu, and choose to boot into hbl for example, it'll skip the patch of the firmware, then you can check the actual version in the settings.

if you are on USA or JPN console you can update from 5.5.x to 5.5.4, it doesn't include a new system menu version so it won't replace cbhc's autoboot feature.
    if you are on a EUR console, you'll have to follow what I quoted above ... like 2 post above I already gave that answer to your question.

7. chrisa1978

chrisa1978 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2019
    Australia
    Apparently my DNS update block is still working so it wont update anyways. Keeps coming up error so all good but Ill just have to download the updates for some of my games from usbhelper in future.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

8. Ewpb

Ewpb Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2013
    I'm sorry to be a pain, buy I can't seem to recall how I get a menu up to reinstall CBHC! Do I have to go through the browser?

Haxchi is installed, I have an exclamation mark instead of a DS game. The SD card is in the hole .

I just don't see a homebrew browser .

9. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    did you follow what I quoted (myself) ?

select launch HBL from the boot menu ?
    if it doesn't work, maybe you forgot to put the HBL elf file on your SD card.

10. Ewpb

Ewpb Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2013
    Ah, you have to press the Home button after you load the DO NOT TOUCH! application. Then you get the option to load HBL .

Was looking for it at system boot .

Now I have the HBL and the CBHC installer do I just chooelse to install? Or do I need to remove the coldboot first, then install?

11. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    no need to remove the cold boot (which is not there anymore by the way, that's the reason you want to launch CBHC installer again : re-add it)

by installing an official system menu, it removed the cold boot information to boot system menu instead of Haxchi automatically.
    you still have haxchi installed, you just miss the cold boot info.

Just run the installer again, it'll change the coldboot info to auto-boot the NDS game (haxchi/cbhc) instead of system menu.

Last edited by Cyan, Jul 3, 2019
    Ewpb likes this.
  12. yellowsnow4free

yellowsnow4free Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2016
    United States
    Thanks Kafluke! I just got a 32GB Wii U and will be referring to this guide to mod it.

I updated to 5.5.3 and will be going the Brain Age hack route.

I don't have a 64GB (or larger) SD or microSD card, or know of one I can borrow, so I will probably purchase one.

In terms of modding, are there any restrictions on what SD / microSD card I can use? I know for unmodded use there are limitations.

I'm not seeing 64GB SD cards for sale new, but I am seeing 64GB+ microSD (SDHC and SDXC). Fry's has a 128GB microSDXC for $15 right now, and Newegg has a 64GB microSDHC for $7.

I tried Googling for an answer but didn't find a definitive one.

I have an 8GB SDHC, but will probably be using an external HDD for storage, so a 64GB+ card will really be for the mod.

Thanks!

13. ca032769

ca032769 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 11, 2012
    United States
    Riverside, CA
    Amazon has one for $11.49, seems like a really good deal to me.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultr...rds=64gb+sdxc&qid=1562185033&s=gateway&sr=8-3

14. yellowsnow4free

yellowsnow4free Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2016
    United States
  15. MrLeche

MrLeche Member

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2006
    I just got a 5.5.1U from a friend. Stock. Which guide should I follow, on which there's a slim chance of me bricking the Wii-u. Also, I am very well versed on hacking any Wii, not sure if that would help me on this. Thanks!

16. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium
    follow this guide if you want to use haxchi u have to update first to 5.5.4 .slim chance of bricking unless you use cbhc and you don't know what your doing

MrLeche likes this.
  17. MrLeche

MrLeche Member

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2006
    Thank you! I asked because this guide's till 5.5.3 only so I just wanna make sure. Also, not sure what a CHBC is, not sure if I need to have it. Having said that, I'm not even sure if this Wii-u is really virgin. I don't see any homebrew channel on the menu. Anyway I'll just connect this to the internet and buy a DS game then proceed. Thanks!

18. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium
    you have to install the homebrew channel.i would use haxchi and set it up to boot in cfw(see guide),cbhc boots up haxchi on start(coldoot) but if haxchi stops working it can't start up =brick.
    there's also https://gbatemp.net/threads/more-stable-webhack-for-5-5-2-5-5-3-5-5-4-released.528757/ .to install homebrew channel and get you started

MrLeche likes this.
  19. matrunix

matrunix Member

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2019
    Greece
    Hello.
    I will buy Wii U model Premium 32GB PAL my friend and it includes the version 5.5.4.
    Can I hack Wii U with the version that?
    I want to play the video games from HDD.

Last edited by matrunix, Jul 5, 2019
  20. EdgarFlores

EdgarFlores Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2016
    United States
    @Kafluke I LOVE YOU BRO! THANKS FOR THIS AWESOME GUIDE! WONDERFUL WARNINGS AND PRECISE INSTRUCTIONS! YOU'RE THE BEST

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted