Installing RedNAND in 2023?

manpaint

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My configuration

So my Wii U is currently on 5.5.3 U. Around 17 September 2020, I installed The Homebrew Launcher on my Wii U using JSTypeHax (browser exploit, I probably followed this guide). I don't believe the console has CFW.

My problem

I would like to download the latest firmware update to acess the eShop and Friend List before the acess to that get nuked in early 2024. I am hesistant to do so due to potential of a brick.

Potential solution?

After doing some research, I think I could update my Wii U through RedNand to negate the bricking risk. That being said, everything that I am finding seem to be for older Wii U firmware. Could you guys kindly point me into the right direction for this? Does using a RedNand require CFW or can it be acessed through a bog-standard Homebrew Launcher app?

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My configuration

So my Wii U is currently on 5.5.3 U. Around 17 September 2020, I installed The Homebrew Launcher on my Wii U using JSTypeHax (browser exploit, I probably followed this guide). I don't believe the console has CFW.

My problem

I would like to download the latest firmware update to acess the eShop and Friend List before the acess to that get nuked in early 2024. I am hesistant to do so due to potential of a brick.

Potential solution?

After doing some research, I think I could update my Wii U through RedNand to negate the bricking risk. That being said, everything that I am finding seem to be for older Wii U firmware. Could you guys kindly point me into the right direction for this? Does using a RedNand require CFW or can it be acessed through a bog-standard Homebrew Launcher app?
Why would there be a bricking risk? You have no CFW. AFAIK nnupatcher was what is needed to access the eshop on older firmwares. As for RedNAND, that requires Mocha. Back up your SD, let Mocha partition your SD and copy your NAND, copy your files back, launch Mocha with RedNAND option enabled and your good to go.

Reactions: manpaint

manpaint

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You guys were indeed correct. I sucessfully updated from 5.5.3 U to 5.5.6 U without causing any brick or error. For the record, I did not uninstall The Homebrew Launcher, in fact the update did not even remove it. I can now acess the eShop and the Friend List.

Thanks your help!

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto