Tutorial  Updated

Block Wii U System Updates (Without DNS Blocking!)

This method has been circulating around since yesterday. Presumably, it was discovered on a Chinese forum.

Using this method allows you to stay connected without DNS blocking, and therefore have complete access to Nintendo services.

There are some concerns floating around about this process. So here is a complete guide detailing the process.

Disclaimer:
The following guide tampers with your NAND. Use this with caution or there is a good chance you'll MESS UP your Wii U for good, or even BRICK!

Requirements:

• A Wii U & SD: Firmware and SD size doesn't matter as long as you satisfy the other conditions
  • Mocha Or Haxchi
  • HBL on SD card
  • ftpiiu_everywhere (Haxchi) on SD card
  • Access to HBL: Browserhax, Haxchi/CBHC, or any other form of entry point, are all fine. As long as you access it.
  • A PC with FTP Client: Technically it doesn't have to be a PC. It can even be done on your phone with an FTP Client. I'm using the PC for the simplicity of it. FileZilla IS RECOMMENDED.
  • Optional: Use Nand Dumper to back up your nand with all it's contents, as well as dumping the OTP and SEEPRPOM. By having those, you can unbrick your system with a hardmod at any point. Dumping MLC will require a 64GB SD card if your Wii U is 32GB, or 16GB SD card if your Wii U is 8GB.

1A) Using Haxchi/CBHC:
  1. System Menu: Have Haxchi reboot to System menu.
  2. System Menu: Launch HBL via Haxchi or browser.
  3. HBL: Launch ftpiiu_everywhere.
  4. Proceed to section "2)" of the guide to block updates. Proceed to section "3)" if you want to unblock them again.
1B) Using Mocha:
  1. System Menu: Launch HBL via browser.
  2. HBL: Start Mocha (Using default values are fine)
  3. System Menu: Launch HBL via browser again.
  4. HBL: Launch ftpiiu_everywhere.
  5. Proceed to section "2)" of the guide to block updates. Proceed to section "3)" if you want to unblock them again.
2) Modifying your Nand, and blocking updates:
  1. PC: Use an FTP client to connect to your Wii U using the IP address and port on your Wii U screen.
  2. PC: Once connected, Navigate to: "storage_mlc/sys/"
  3. PC: Locate "update" folder, right-click it and Pick "File Permissions". Make sure it's the same as the screenshot below. If it's not the same, then make note of that. You will need it if you want to enable updates later. If it's the Same, then proceed to the next Step.
    384072-FTPiiU.PNG
  4. PC: Delete “update” folder.
  5. Wii U: Press "Home" button to get back to HBL, press it again to get back to Mii Maker.
  6. Wii U: Exit Mii Maker, and click on system settings.
  7. System Settings: Attempt to update your Wii U as Normal. A few seconds after it starts and the progress bar appears, it should give out this error code: 105-3012. If the progress bar actually continues to move, TURN OFF THE WII U IMMEDIATELY!! Recheck your steps, cause something went wrong.
3) Unblocking updates:

If for whatever reason, you would like to return the Wii U to it's original updating state, start by following "1A)" or "1B)" of the guide, then proceed to the next step of this section:
  1. PC: Use an FTP client to connect to your Wii U using the IP address and port on your Wii U screen.
  2. PC: Once connected, Navigate to: "storage_mlc/sys/"
  3. PC: Right-click, and select "Create Directory". Create “update” folder. Once created, right-click again, and select "File Permissions".
  4. PC: When you originally did section "2)", if your permissions were the same as the screenshot in that section, enter those same permissions here. If not, then you should have noted them down somewhere. Enter those values instead, then click ok.
  5. Wii U: Press "Home" button to get back to HBL, press it again to get back to Mii Maker.
  6. Wii U: Exit Mii Maker, and click on system settings.
  7. System Settings: Attempt to update your Wii U as Normal. It should proceed to update normally.
Credits:
@fejich for being the first to notify us about a Chinese website doing this method in this thread
@Shaoxudong for translating the process, and testing it.

Last edited by Madridi,

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
So... open ftpiiu everywhere and change permissions
Exit from ftpiiu everywhere
Start System Settings
Exit from System Settings
Permissions should've changed
Permissions don't change to begin with. As soon you click ok, try opening it up again and you'll find all of them have been reapplied again :/

AliasGprime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry, it may be a stupid question but newbie, to Wii U, that is trying to understand all of this. With this method, which I've already done, I can disable the DNS thing and keep going just like that? No more needs for NNU Patcher then?

EDIT: SIGH don't mind me guys, tired, been up all night long. I just need to read ^^' "Using this method allows you to stay connected without DNS blocking, and therefore have complete access to Nintendo services."

Last edited by AliasGprime,
Reactions: Kvnrdrguez

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Sorry, it may be a stupid question but newbie, to Wii U, that is trying to understand all of this. With this method, which I've already done, I can disable the DNS thing and keep going just like that? No more needs for NNU Patcher then?
You can use your Wii U without DNS settings, yes. But you will still need NNU patcher to access eshop. That's an app that bypasses the requirement of having the latest firmware. It has nothing to do with being able to update :)

AliasGprime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
oh ok ^^ Thanks for the reply. Perfectly clear now. My biggest concern was about the DNS. Sorry for my stupid question :) Have a nice day!

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah so it's now confirmed that you actually CAN recreate the updates folder, as long as it has the same permissions as before. With that said, I'm feeling adventurous!
I doubt I'll ever need to recreate the folder in the future, but it shouldn't be hard recreating it.

When you recreated it, did it begin updating like normal and you had to shut it down to stop it? Or has recreating a folder not been tested yet?

This is a really nice guide, thanks for setting it up!

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Ah so it's now confirmed that you actually CAN recreate the updates folder, as long as it has the same permissions as before. With that said, I'm feeling adventurous!
I doubt I'll ever need to recreate the folder in the future, but it shouldn't be hard recreating it.

When you recreated it, did it begin updating like normal and you had to shut it down to stop it? Or has recreating a folder not been tested yet?

This is a really nice guide, thanks for setting it up!
Yes. After deleting it, Went out to test that it had actually blocked updates. Then powered off, powered on, did the whole steps again, created update folder and gave it same permissions, and proceeded to test, and did start to begin to update, which is when I turned it off (realistically, it began downloading the update files. Obviously turning the system off while actual updating would cause a brick)

Also, it's worth mentioning that I don't know if the permissions actually have any role to play in this. I just added it so that the recreated folder has the same permissions the original one had.

No problem, happy to help :)

This is brilliant, thanks for sharing :D
This is probably the best method if you're capable of following those instructions and not brick by messing up :yayu:
Yeah I know! No more worrying about dns setting up. :D
Credit is where credit is due though :)

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. After deleting it, Went out to test that it had actually blocked updates. Then powered off, powered on, did the whole steps again, created update folder and gave it same permissions, and proceeded to test, and did start to begin to update, which is when I turned it off (realistically, it began downloading the update files. Obviously turning the system off while actual updating would cause a brick)

Also, it's worth mentioning that I don't know if the permissions actually have any role to play in this. I just added it so that the recreated folder has the same permissions the original one had.

No problem, happy to help :)

Yeah I know! No more worrying about dns setting up. :D
Credit is where credit is due though :)
I wonder why people were having issues recreating the folder, if all you're simply doing is recreating it. Either filezilla works better with this and the file permission thing allows it to be created, or the people were just full of it. In any case I'm joining this club, and bookmarking for future reference.

I wonder if system updates can be insntalled via Wup Installer

Last edited by MattKimura,

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I wonder why people were having issues recreating the folder, if all you're simply doing is recreating it. Either filezilla works better with this and the file permission thing allows it to be created, or the people were just full of it. In any case I'm joining this club, and bookmarking for future reference.
I am tending to believe it's user error or something. The guy reported it was also trying to do something rednand related so whatever he was doing was not straight forward.

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Instead of deleting what about renaming to let's say update2?
This should accomplish the same thing but you can easily restore it by renaming it back.
The update code probably only checks if the update folder exists and otherwise errors out :P

Reactions: Madridi

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So isn't the DNS block safer than this? You noted that this could brick but all it does it change access permission to prevent writing to the system so updates won't download.:unsure:
You can go about blocking updates with DNS, that's perfectly fine. This is just an alternate method for those who like to tinker with their system. It's completely optional and pretty cool in my opinion. It's all up to you whether or not to make use of this method or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over