[TUTORIAL] Blocking online updates and play online with CCProxy [EASY]

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Tgames, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Tgames
    OP

Member Tgames GBAtemp Regular

France
    Introduction
    This guide will let you block updates (and/or eshop access or any other specified URLs) by using your computer as filtering gateway.
    If you want to use an online filtering method instead of keeping your computer powered, you should follow the OpenDNS guide. But be aware that OpenDNS IS NOT SAFE and works with your router's IP, it will render your 3DS/WiiU vulnerable if you are not at home.
    Using a proxy on your computer will have better blocking assurance as online will not be possible at all without being near it.

The solution :

- Block onlines updates

- Keep Webkit exploit.

- Only need a PC on Windows XP or newer that all ! (No router to configure).

Requirements

- The same Wifi Access on PC and Wii U (but not power on the Wii U too long during the process AND NOT BEFORE PC STEP -> or you can be auto-updated)

- Need a PC always on to keep access to internet.

- Download and install CCProxy v8.0 (http://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/proxy-server-download.htm) (free up to 3 user's accounts)

Tutorial

CCProxy Setup

[​IMG]

Click on "Options"

[​IMG]

Fill it like the picture :
    - Set the proxy port for HTTP to 8080, it will edit all the related ports at the same time.
    - or set a different port number for HTTP if 8080 is already used by another application (808, 1080, etc.)

Click on "Advanced", then choose "Networks" tab.

[​IMG]

Check "Disable External Users" for security reasons.
    If you want to allow external users (friend, family, internet) to use your proxy server, uncheck this.

Note: My screenshot is from version 6.4.1, "Networks" settings are located on miscellaneous tab.

Click on "OK" and again on "OK".

You come back here :

[​IMG]

Click on "Account"

[​IMG]

Set the option to "Permit only" users using your Proxy based on they "MAC address".
    Set to "IP+Mac" to filter by IP if you plan to allow external users from internet. (only for advanced users)

Click on "Web filter"

[​IMG]

- Set a name for your filter
    - Check "Site Filter"
    - Set "Forbidden Sites" radio choice
    - Fill the filtered/forbidden URL, separated by semicolon :
    Code:
    cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net;*.cdn.shop.wii.com;*.wup.shop.nintendo.net;*.c.shop.nintendowifi.net;*.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com;*.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com
    This list will block all eShop access and update download on Wii, WiiU and 3DS. The akamai servers are used for cloud computing and data servers. it's unknown if they host updates.
    If you want to block different URLs or servers, look in the spoiler below to get a detailed list of possible URLs to block.

Alternatively, you can use a file with a list of URLs
    Alternative filtering method

Click on "OK".

You come back here :

[​IMG]

Click on "New"

[​IMG]

- Set a User name for this account
    - Enable this account
    - Filter by MAC Address (enter the WiiU or 3DS MAC address here)
    - Check "Web Filter" and select the previously defined filter rule.

In this picture, the MAC address for CCProxy is 8ccde8886572 ! (no space, hyphen or colon)

[​IMG]

Click on "OK".

[​IMG]

You can create another Account for another console if you want.

[​IMG]
    If you have multiple consoles which share the same setup (web filter, quota, protocol, scheduler, etc.), you can create a "Group" account.

- Set a Group name
    - Set the account "As Group"
    - Set the Web Filter and all the settings for this group
    - Click "OK"

[​IMG]

- Edit your User Account to specify wich Group it belongs to.
    - Click "OK"

Now you can set all your 3DS and WiiU consoles to "Nintendo" group.
    If you want to edit the blocked servers, edit the filter list and it will affect all consoles set to that group.

Now PC Solution is okay !
    Next is for the WiiU...

Wii U Setup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Go to "Console Settings" then "Internet" and then "Internet Connection".

Setup your connexion as usual.

Go to 3rd page, click on "Proxy server".

Set to "yes" and fill the LAN IP address of your computer (for example :192.168.1.2) and 8080 (or whatever you chose in CCProxy) for the port.

You might want to set your Computer's IP to a fixed IP instead of using DHCP, or you'll have to edit the computer's IP every time the router provides it with a new IP.

Now your Wii U or 3DS are protected against auto-updates... :yayps3:

- You can see the number of connected users and active connections on the main CCProxy screen.

- Double click the main screen graphics to see current access log from CCProxy users.
    If you use an old version (6.4.1 like in the screenshot) it doesn't tell if accessed URL is allowed or blocked.
    Update to CCProxy 8.x to see proper blocked information.

- To analyze older log, Select "Log analysis", pick a log date in the drop down menu and click on "Analysis".

ADVANCED SETUP
    This section is only informative, it's not part of the tutorial.

The console is doing two different connections to initiate a system update:
    CONNECT nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net:443
    and
    GET nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/TitleID_high/TitleID_low

If CONNECT command fails, no system update is triggered and you receive an error message on your console.
    If CONNECT succeed, then the console will initiate a series of GET to download all the files required for the update.

When CCProxy filters an URL it returns an HTTP answer 403 forbidden code, and a text message in html.
    The WiiU (and probably other Nintendo's consoles) will NOT stop on HTTP error code and still stores the data returned by the GET command as if it was the expected content downloaded from Nintendo's update server, and will download next file until it reaches the end of the download list.

After all the updated files are downloaded it will attempt to update the console. As the files are not the expected data it will display a message telling you that the console couldn't be updated, and will tell you to reboot.
    On next reboot, a new message will tell you "please wait...", while it's in fact deleting the bad downloaded update files.

After few seconds you are back to your current system menu with no update information in your update log. (Home>Update progress)

Customize error message seen by the console

If you want, you can customize the html content served by CCProxy when a website is blocked.
    Option > Advanced > Customize (at the bottom)

The default message for filtered website on CCProxy 8.0 is :
    Code:
    <html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /></head><body><h1>Web site unauthorized...</h1>
    <h2>Account Name: %UserName%<br>
    Site: %HostName%<br>
    Referer: %Referer%<br>
    Filter Name: %FilterName%<br>
    Filter Type: %Permit%<br>
    Filter Item: %Item%</h2></body></html>
    I suggest to delete that content in order to not serve any content when hitting a blocked URL.
    This way the console will download a 0 byte file instead of an error message.

On older version of CCProxy, the error message can be edited manually in ccproxy.ini file.

On the latest version of CCProxy 8.0 (2015-10-09 and newer), you can now change the error code to return. Instead of 403, you should set it to 404 and the console will not download any fake files.
    You can see the difference when using the browser to access a filtered url.

ATTENTION:
    As it seems to not brick the WiiU console (I did it 4 times), it hasn't been tested on 3DS.
    I don't recommend performing this, use it at your own risk.

Edit : This tutorial, need additional pictures, and some fixes, but should works ;)
    Edit2 : Same in French, for French : http://tgames.fr/tutoswiiu/bloquer-les-mises-a-jours-et-jouer-en-ligne-t11954.html
    Edit3 : This tutorial fixed by Cyan, using english screenshot (but from v6.4.1 instead of v8.0.0) ;)
    Edit4 : Cyan updated his CCproxy program to 8.0 did some tests. Added Advanced setup chapter.
    Edit5 : Tutorial updated with new information for advanced setup, and added chapter's titles.
    Edit6 : Added information about unproxied elements.
    Edit7 : Updated Full filtered URLs list and descriptions
    Edit8 : Updated Full filtered URLs list and descriptions (not the links, only the urls in the code tags)
    Edit9 : simplified the "advanced" paragraph, removed unneeded info. Added a "eshop access" filter.txt in the spoiler section. Added CCProxy DNS info to use both TubeHax DNS and CCProxy at the same time.

Last edited by Cyan, Dec 13, 2015 - Reason: Update 9

2. keven3477

Member keven3477 Fresh Prince of Lemonade

United States
    does this need a computer on whenever im using the internet on the wiiu all the time?

3. Tgames
    OP

France
    Yes, the PC create the proxy (and blockings updates) and the WiiU search for that proxy.
    If the PC is shutdown, the Wii U can't get internet.

The PC control what the Wii U can access thanks to the proxy method.

4. VinsCool

Member VinsCool Caretaker

Canada
    Thank you. Usefull for people who can't block ip address on their router.

Margen67 likes this.
  5. AdamToTheApple

Newcomer AdamToTheApple Member

United States
    I don't know about everyone else, but I found OpenDNS to be much simpler and has worked fine for me thus far.

Link: http://www.opendns.com/

FusionGamer and Ryanrocks462 like this.
  6. RandomUser

Member RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

United States
    Some of the above steps can be ignored and/or modified. I use IP ranges instead of mac address so that way I can test to see if the Proxy server is blocking the link by inputting them in IE or another browser like SeaMonkey before powering on the Wii. This is good for first time user setup, to make sure they got it all configured correctly. Also the above URL, I apply Wildcard to them, and did away with the IP address in the list and used the URL instead and again added wildcard to it. Heck you can even use a webfilter file so that way you do not even have to mess with inputting URL, just simply copy this
    Code:
    *.c.shop.nintendowifi.net;
    *.cdn.shop.wii.com;
    *.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net;
    *.wup.shop.nintendo.net;
    *.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com;
    *.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com;
    and paste it into notepad and save it as any file name you want and then open it up in CCProxy WebFilter.
    They're more then one way on how to set up CCProxy, and there is no wrong way provided that it does indeed block out the proper URL. Each to their own I guess.

7. FusionGamer

Member FusionGamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

A web-based solution is always better than a software-based solution. Plus, nothing to turn on ;)

8. nastys

Member nastys ナースティス

Italy
    Yesterday the updated was already downloaded and ready to install. I could skip it by powering off, then booting while pressing "B" with the TV off, then selecting "Cancel". It never asked me to update (except when I use eShop) since then and I'm still on 5.1.0 :P

P.S.: I haven't tried playing online, but Miiverse works.
    P.P.S.: Disable Standby and SpotPass Downloads!

Reecey likes this.
  9. Tgames
    OP

France
  10. Reecey

Member Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

United Kingdom
    Thats all I have done and the WiiU has never updated since and its still on 5.0! Like you say though I have not tried online yet!

11. Etkar.H

Member Etkar.H GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    You are a life saver, my friends. Thank you for this tutorial! :)

Margen67 likes this.
  12. Tgames
    OP

France
    You're welcome ;)

Margen67 likes this.
  13. Adr990

Member Adr990 To boldly go where no man has gone before!

Netherlands
    Thanks! I was thinking about using my server for doing this, but I believe using a proxy on my PC is better.
    Besides, offloading a process from my server haha.

Margen67 likes this.
  14. BullyWiiPlaza

Member BullyWiiPlaza Nintendo Hacking <3

Germany
    I needed something to use the PC for connecting since my router is probably incapable of blocking IPs.

Since my Wii U never auto-updated I could also just do nothing but thanks for posting this awesome solution!

15. Tgames
    OP

France
    Me too my router can't block IPs.
    This solution is easy (just a PC with windows) and will work with future firmwares...

16. BullyWiiPlaza

Member BullyWiiPlaza Nintendo Hacking <3

Germany
    Nevermind, it doesn't work.

When I use the proxy connection with Firefox it'll show this:

Unauthorized ...

IP Address: 192.168.2.110
    MAC Address: My_PC_WiFi_MAC
    Server Time: 2014-08-06 18:14:36
    Auth Result: Invalid user.

Also failed to connect to the Internet on the Wii U when using this proxy connection and same WLAN.

I don't know why all networking stuff my laptop <-> Wii U always fails. I have everything such as Virus Scanner or Firewall disabled. Connecting to Wii worked in the past.

17. nastys

Member nastys ナースティス

Italy
    Firewall?

18. Tgames
    OP

France
    I know why it doesn't work for you, you don't have follow right the tutorial.

Unauthorized = Your WiiU Mac Adress has not been recognized by CCProxy

Check WiiU Mac adress in CCProxy Account (no separators).

By Default a machine not registered in CCProxy is "Unauthorized" for everything.

[​IMG]

19. Adr990

Member Adr990 To boldly go where no man has gone before!

Netherlands
    I can confirm it works for me.
    The downloads is showing me a red cross, and the SystemUpdate is the one download with an error. :)

20. Tgames
    OP

France
    Yes lot a people (in others websites) confirm that my method works.
    If it doesn't for you, read again the tutorial, something you forgot ;).
    But sure it will work ;)

When the proxy is ok in the Wii U you can :

- Play Online Games
    - Block all online update + Eshop
    - Use all applications (Miiverse, Internet, Youtube, Games....) (except Eshop (need update)).