Hacking Gateway support for Firmware 9.0 – 9.2 Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country
While I have no reasonable explanation for why they ordered FOUR Australian N3DS devices.
I think the testing and verification is merely a matter of being thorough.

Is there that big of a difference between EUR and JAP devices/ROM's? Not necessarily.

However, as you say, it sounds like they've already used a Japanese N3DS to test their thing, since they previously mentioned N3DS support.
Now, considering the "A great platform to test EUR ROMs" - it raises the question, did the JAP device not support EUR/US ROMs?
Or are they really just being thorough?

It could either one of those. I hope it's the latter. Although it's kinda.. Well.. Ok. Just being really torough I guess. Might as well deliver a product based on facts rather than "Eeeh we GUESS it works on EUR N3DS since well.. It worked on JAP N3DS".

As for what I wanted to mention earlier. There's a reason why Gateway themselves haven't forwarded such information.

The situation is already chaotic, but adding that little line of info would even make it more troublesome. I mean, things like this would pop up: "Hey! You said you support N3DS! So why are you ordering FOUR aussie N3DS NOW after announcing it'd work?"

It'd be something along those lines. With this added extra measure, they'll be sure to deliver the best patch in a proper fashion.

As for why four.. Well.. I'll speculate that they want to test various devices incase they receive a defective one or something. Y'never know.

Right now, we can only hope we'll receive the teaser video by next weekend.

Rrenzen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wattup' you guys! Phantom, the Linguistic know-it-all was absent for a few pages but now he's back (Just making a bit of an entrance, I'm sure nobody remembered me)

Here's my two cents, once again, on the current situation! (Warning, those allergic to speculation shouldn't read the following)

So we were hit by someone spilling the beans lately, here's a recap for those who didn't read my Puppy_Washer's post:

Great news! Truth be told! Yet, it's somewhat saddening that we had to hear this from "3rd party" instead from Gateway themselves. But I'll explain why in a minute (SPECULATION) in why they haven't said so.

Here's something else Garyopa (Maxconsole's Administrator) said later on:

So here's what we can confirm (again, based on speculation, boohoo!):
  • GW Recently ordered 4 Aussie N3DS's. But just how recent is 'recently'?
  • GW will start internal private testing. This means their development of the update is complete. YAY
His other response, however, evokes a few questions:

• If GW states that even N3DS's are supported.. That means they've already had acess to a JAP one. So.. What's the big difference from JAP to EUR?
  • 'A great platform to test EUR Roms' - Why do they need Aussie 3DS's to test EUR Roms? Are roms of different regions THAT different that deserve a special look at?
Let's look again at point number two.

'A great platform to test EUR ROMs' - Doesn't this kinda' mean GW has tested other region ROMs on their JAP N3DS's? What happened with that?

I'll edit in a few mins. with more info. DISCUSS!

why and easier to make a tutorial using a console in english want a japanese? (I hope)

Reactions: Phantom_User

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so the ordered 4 Au new3dses, it just mean we are probably dealing with a team of at least 4 devs and they are probably all situated in different geographical locations , so at least we know now GW is most likely not just one guy doing all the dev work

also anyone know about NAND flash connection on the new3ds is it harder to solder to or easier, anyone have any info and pic for HW nand dump on new3ds

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so the ordered 4 Au new3dses, it just mean we are probably dealing with a team of at least 4 devs and they are probably all situated in different geographical locations , so at least we know now GW is most likely not just one guy doing all the dev work

also anyone know about NAND flash connection on the new3ds is it harder to solder to or easier, anyone have any info and pic for HW nand dump on new3ds

Or a team of 2 devs who are testing brick code for New3ds

Reactions: cracker

DryTaste

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Kernel exploit. Unless they lied about not needing new hardware or:
  • They consider sspwn as software.
  • They classify a 4.5 3ds as something you already have access to.

I don't really see whats stopping the card from updating from its own SD card when it receives power from the 3DS, it has been done before with flashcards.

Reactions: Phantom_User

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i have th
I don't really see whats stopping the card from updating from its own SD card when it receives power from the 3DS, it has been done before with flashcards.
yeah i have thought about that too , but wouldnt it need some sort of internal processor, even dstwo needs a system to update ,how would it process the update installer?

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Proof of a card doing that? I'm quite interested.

So where does it say that they ordered 4 Australian N3ds'?
khykC3r.png

Reactions: Aman27deep

DryTaste

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yeah i have th
yeah i have thought about that too , but wouldnt it need some sort of internal processor, even dstwo needs a system to update ,how would it process the update installer?

There are ndsi flashcards that could update on their own in a console that was blocking them, as long as the correct files where on the SD and they where receiving power. It is possible that they included this ability in gateway for future use (toprevent hardware revisions for a future update perhaps? xD)

Edit: Hmm, was searching for a ndsi example, can't find one. Maybe i'm wrong... i guess i'm wrong :') But that doesn't mean its impossible, yknow, you need to be able to update it and this looks like the most feasible solution to me.

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There are ndsi flashcards that could update on their own in a console that was blocking them, as long as the correct files where on the SD and they where receiving power. It is possible that they included this ability in gateway for future use (toprevent hardware revisions for a future update perhaps? xD)

Edit: Hmm, was searching for a ndsi example, can't find one. Maybe i'm wrong... i guess i'm wrong :') But that doesn't mean its impossible, yknow, you need to be able to update it and this looks like the most feasible solution to me.
mostlikely dstwo

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

But you need kernel access in order to reprogram the FPGA, so that means a 4.5 3DS is required, which was denied by the team and we have the letter as evidence.

Now, *Wears speculation hat*:
My theory is they start out like they did at launch, single-ROM and no emuNAND, and slowly port those features over to the new version. That matches with the French reseller and the fact we won't need a 4.5 3DS. Whether we need a USB dongle, there's probably a snapshot of an email asking this question buried somewhere in this thread. I'll just need to find it.

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But you need kernel access in order to reprogram the FPGA, so that means a 4.5 3DS is required, which was denied by the team and we have the letter as evidence.

Now, *Wears speculation hat*:
My theory is they start out like they did at launch, single-ROM and no emuNAND, and slowly port those features over to the new version. That matches with the French reseller and the fact we won't need a 4.5 3DS. Whether we need a USB dongle, there's probably a snapshot of an email asking this question buried somewhere in this thread. I'll just need to find it.
you dont need kernel accses to update an FPGA.
Another question to you, how to intend to start the exploit if the 3ds doesnt even loads the card since it isnt legit?

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
you dont need kernel accses to update an FPGA.
Another question to you, how to intend to start the exploit if the 3ds doesnt even loads the card since it isnt legit?
I'm aware of that, but gateway says no additional hardware is needed, only leaving kernel access unless unattended update is already built-in.

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well since you know that kernel access is not needed for a FPGA update what do we need then?
Kernel accses isnt really needed since it could be like the DSTWO where it just needs power. The used FPGA can process data itself once its powered for all we know the bios/cmos could have an mode in which it uses an certain file on the card to update itself.

I'm aware of that, but gateway says no additional hardware is needed, only leaving kernel access unless unattended update is already built-in.
no additional HW may aswell = unattended update.

Reactions: DryTaste

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm aware of that, but gateway say no additional hardware is needed, only leaving kernel access unless unattended update is already built-in.
and what do you know what everyone else doesnt know that makes you say it an kernel exploit instead of an unattended update?
You know those KE dont grow on trees.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Kernel accses isnt really needed since it could be like the DSTWO where it just needs power. The used FPGA can process data itself once its powered for all we know the bios/cmos could have an mode in which it uses an certain file on the card to update itself.

no additional HW may aswell = unattended update.

So basically youre just pulling that info out of your ass...

Reactions: MrJason005
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Were not sure about the next 30 minutes though +2