Tutorial  Updated

Setting up Gateway + Luma3DS on 11.17 (Guide)

ALWAYS MAKE BACKUPS OF YOUR NAND BEFORE PROCEEDING!

NOTE TO SYSNAND USERS: DO NOT BOOT INTO GW MODE ON FIRMWARE 11.3+; YOU WILL LOSE B9S AND BE REVERTED BACK TO STOCK FIRMWARE. IF THIS EVER HAPPENS, IT CAN EASILY BE FIXED BY RE-INSTALLING B9S WITH THE NTRBOOT METHOD.

Never use old Gateway launcher files. They do not support the latest firmware, and could potentially brick your console if something goes wrong. Use the latest version. As of writing, the latest is version 4.2 private beta.

I strongly discourage the use of GW on SysNAND setups, this increases the risk of bricks.

DO NOT do this guide if you have a region changed system.

20230920_230932.jpg
I am not held responsible for any damages to your console. You are responsible for whatever you do to your console. If you screw up your 3DS, don't come complaining about not backing up your NAND or missing one or more steps in the guide.

Prerequisites
- Any modded new/old 3DS/2DS with the latest CFW. (follow this guide if you haven't).
- SD card (8GB or above, formatted to FAT32 32kb cluster).
- Method of reading SD cards on a PC (e.g., an external SD card reader).

(1) Downgrade Guide (11.17 -> 4.5/9.2)
This step is totally optional, but is used to sanitize the NAND so to speak if you have any issues with installing the patches.

Getting the firmware
I will not be providing links to download the system firmware since that breaks the GBAtemp TOS.

If you are using an Old 3DS (3DS, 3DS XL/LL, 2DS), you will need to download "4.5.0-10x(Full).zip" for the downgrade.
If you are using a New 3DS (N3DS, N3DS XL/LL, N2DS XL/LL), you will need to download "9.2.0-20x(Full).zip" for the downgrade.

Alternatively, use 3DNUS to download the firmware for your corresponding console.

('X' corresponds to your system's region.)

Preparing the SD card

- Make a new folder on the root of your SD card called "updates".
- Extract the downgrade (.CIA) files from the ZIP archive into the "updates" folder. It should look something like this:
browser.jpg

Downgrading the 3DS
You will need to download "sysUpdater" in order to downgrade your 3DS. Either boot the application from HBL or install the CIA file using FBI or GodMode9.

Softmod Method
- Boot into your SysNAND through Luma3DS. Your system will need to be updated through the "System Settings" if your console is not on firmware 11.17.0-50.
- Launch "sysUpdater". Once the application has started, press (Y) to downgrade your system.
- Once it has finished, within your luck, it should reboot you into the downgraded firmware.

Note for O2DS users: If you are using a 2DS, you will notice that the top screen is stretched. This is not a console fault; rather, the older firmware is forced to render the top-screen in 3D mode instead of 2D; later system versions starting from 6.2 support the 2DS in 2D mode.

(2) Creating a GW EmuNAND
Preparing the SD card

- Download the latest release of GodMode9: https://github.com/d0k3/GodMode9/releases/latest
- Copy the "GodMode9.firm" file from the ZIP archive to the "luma/payloads" folder on the root of your SD card.
- Copy the "gm9" folder from the ZIP archive to the root of your SD card.
- Download the "gw_b9s_package.zip" archive below this post.
- Extract the contents of the ZIP archive to the root of your console's SD card.
- Download the latest Gateway "Launcher.dat", you can find this in "the usual places".
- Copy the latest "Launcher.dat" file onto the root of your SD card.
- Make a new folder on your computer and call it "3DS backup" or something else. Then, copy all of the files and folders from the root of your SD card to the folder that you have just created.
- Insert the SD card back into your 3DS.

Formatting the EmuNAND

- Hold down (Start) whilst powering on the console. From the chainloader menu, select "GodMode9" and press (A).
- When GodMode9 has loaded, press the (HOME) button to bring up the action context menu.
- Select "More..." > "SD format menu" > "GW EmuNAND size (full)".
- Select the cluster size as "Auto".
- Using the touch-screen, enter the name of your EmuNAND (i.e., "GATEWAYNAND"). This, however, is totally optional.
- Press (A), and enter the button prompt you see on-screen to proceed.
- When the format has finished, hold down (R) and (B) at the same time, then safely eject the SD card from your console.
- Insert the SD card back into your computer.
- Copy all of your backup files back onto your SD card, re-insert it back into your 3DS and press (A) to re-mount the card.
Preparing the SD card

- Download the "gw_b9s_package.zip" archive below this post.
- Extract the contents of the ZIP archive to the root of your console's SD card.
- Download the latest Gateway "Launcher.dat", you can find this in "the usual places".
- Copy the latest "Launcher.dat" file onto the root of your SD card.
- Make a new folder on your computer and call it "3DS backup" or something else. Then, copy all of the files and folders from the root of your SD card to the folder that you have just created.
- Insert the SD card back into your 3DS.
- Re-insert your SD card back into your 3DS.

Formatting the EmuNAND
20230920_212320.jpg
20230920_212327.jpg
formatting.jpg
- Hold down the (Down) button whilst powering on the console.
- When you see a grey screen, release both buttons and quickly hold down (L) and (Select).
- In the Gateway menu, navigate to "Format EmuNAND" and press (A).
- When asked if you want to format the card, press (Start) to proceed.

• If the progress bar is not idle after 5 or 10 minutes, power off the console and try again.
- Press (A) to return to the menu, then hold (Down) and (B) to power off.
  • If the format was successful, but you cannot press (A) to return to the menu, hold down the (Power) button until the console turns off.
- Safely remove your SD card and insert it back into your computer.
- Copy all of your backup files onto your SD card, and re-insert the card back into your 3DS.

(3) Updating your GW EmuNAND

Getting the Firmware
I will not be providing links to download the system firmware since that breaks the GBAtemp TOS.
Alternatively, use 3DNUS to download the 11.17 firmware for your corresponding console.

Preparing the SD card
- Download the correct "11.17.0-50x(Full).zip" firmware package for the correct model that you have ('X' corresponds to your console region).
  • If you install a firmware for the wrong model (i.e., O3DS firmware on a N3DS), it can brick your console.
- Download 123ab's GW patch files for your corresponding region and model. They can be found with a quick Google search.
- Copy only the "updates" folder from the GW patch ZIP archive to the root of your SD card, rename the folder to "patches".

• If the "updates" folder already exists on your SD card, remove it before transferring the folder containing the patches.
- Extract the update (.cia) files into the "updates" folder. The end result should look something like this:
browser.jpg
browser-2.jpg
Updating your EmuNAND
You will need to download "sysUpdater" in order to downgrade your 3DS. Either boot the application from HBL or install the CIA file using FBI or GodMode9.

- Boot into your EmuNAND through Luma3DS. Your EmuNAND should be on a downgraded firmware, this can be checked via the "System Settings" or noticing differences on the "HOME Menu".
- Launch "sysUpdater". Once the application has started, press (A) to update your system to 11.17.
- Once it has finished, you will boot into your updated 11.17 EmuNAND. This can be confirmed by opening the "System Settings".

Patching your EmuNAND

- Power off your 3DS and insert the SD card into your computer.
- Delete the "updates" folder from the root of your SD card.
- Rename the "patches" folder to "updates".
- Re-insert your SD card back into your 3DS, and boot into your EmuNAND through Luma3DS.
- Launch "sysUpdater". Once the application has started, press (Y) to apply the GW patches.
- Once the patches have successfully installed, hold down the (Power) button until the system turns off.
Getting the Firmware
Alternatively, use 3DNUS to download the 11.17 firmware for your corresponding console.

Preparing the SD card
- Download the latest release of GodMode9: https://github.com/d0k3/GodMode9/releases/latest
- Copy the "GodMode9.firm" file from the ZIP archive to the "luma/payloads" folder on the root of your SD card.
- Copy the "gm9" folder from the ZIP archive to the root of your SD card.
- Download the correct "11.17.0-50x(Full).zip" firmware package for the correct model that you have ('X' corresponds to your console region).

• If you install a firmware for the wrong model (i.e., O3DS firmware on a N3DS), it can brick your console.
- Download 123ab's GW patch files for your corresponding region and model. They can be found with a quick Google search.
- Copy only the "updates" folder from the GW patch ZIP archive to the root of your SD card, rename the folder to "patches".

• If the "updates" folder already exists on your SD card, remove it before transferring the folder containing the patches.
- Extract the update (.cia) files into the "updates" folder. The end result should look something like this:
browser.jpg
browser-2.jpg

Updating your EmuNAND

- Hold down (Start) whilst powering on the console. From the chainloader menu, select "GodMode9" and press (A).
- Navigate to "[0:] SDCARD" > "updates".
- Highlight the first file then hold (L) and (Right) to select all of the (.cia) files.
- Press (A) to select the first file.
- In the context menu, select "CIA image options" > "Install game image" > "Install to EmuNAND".
- Enter the button combination provided to proceed with the update.
- When asked to relock the write permissions, press (B).
- Press (B) to go back.
- Navigate to the "patches" folder.
- Highlight the first file then hold (L) and (Right) to select all of the (.cia) files.
- Press (A) to select the first file.
- In the context menu, select "CIA image options" > "Install game image" > "Install to EmuNAND".
- Enter the button combination provided to install the patches.
- Press (B) twice then hold down (R) and (Start) to power off the system.

(4) Booting into Gateway (with or w/o card)

20230920_224207.jpg
20230920_224215.jpg
- Power on the console whilst holding (Down).
- If you see a grey screen, release all buttons and hold (L) and (Select).
- Navigate to "Classic Mode" then press (A).
- Press (X).
- Insert the Gateway red card into your 3DS.
- Power on the console whilst holding (Down).
- Your 3DS will auto-boot into GW mode.

FAQ

Q: How do I boot into the GW menu?
A: Hold down (L)+(Select) when the Gateway logo appears.

Q: I get a boot rom BSOD (blue screen of death).
A: Your NAND most likely got corrupted or that you're using a older version of the GW launcher (aka Brickway). Restore a working NAND backup using GM9, and download the latest "Launcher.dat".

Q: Does my GW blue card work on 11.17?
A: Yes. The blue card can still be used to play games in DS-mode, even on the latest firmware.

Q: How do I download the latest "Launcher.dat"?
A: Google is your friend.

Q: When I boot into GW/Classic mode, I get a black screen.
A: There are multiple reasons as to why this might be happening:

• Modified SecureInfo_A - The GW launcher does not patch this. You will need to restore this from your donor NAND backup.
  • HOME Menu cache/management info - Navigate to "Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/extdata/00000000/000000**/00000000/" [USA = 8F][EUR = 98][JPN = 82], then delete the "00000005" folder.
  • SysNAND setup - You may have not properly setup a GW EmuNAND or that you're using a RedNAND. Format your SD card using GodMode9.
  • Modified HOME Menu or fonts - Restore a clean NAND backup that does not contain modifications to the firmware.
  • Other issue that isn't disclosed here - Feel free to mention it.

Credits

@Temptress Cerise for the help with patching EmuNAND.
@RednaxelaNnamtra for BootCTR9.
@Hayleia for creating the "v2gw.bin" payload.
@nedron92 for discovering the GW B9S method.
123ab for his GW firmware compatibility patches.

Attachments

• gw_b9s_package.zip
    552.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited by SylverReZ,

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yep, that's it, so please give more info in prerequites and more explanation so everyone can have a try in it....Isn't that the point?

Reactions: SylverReZ

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so please tell it from the start to newbie like me and put it somewhere allows to launch 3DS file, and give advantages compared to another flashcard that can do the same, oh, and also give a link, no? I'm searching for something like this but for newcomers, it's rather complicated to understand all those things and historical issues.
I see your point, for someone who gets into console modding right now they may not know of the history of modding certain consoles. Well, after the 3ds launched people couldn't play backups of 3ds games, but flashcarts used for ds games worked. Nintendo blacklisted flashcarts with each update. After a while the 3ds got a "cfw" of sorts, it was the mset exploit. It was unstable and you had to launch it every time you booted the 3ds, some times it would take like 7 or 8 tries other times 2 or 3. The mset exploit was only available for 4.5 3ds so if you updated there was no way to play backups, it also had something called emunand, or "emulated nand" which made a copy of the system os on the sd card and all titles were installed there so if something happened you could avoid bricks and also could delete the emunand and make another easily. After a while came Gateway, a flashcart for the 3ds that would let you play 3ds backups using the red card and ds backups using the blue card. Since it was a flashcart people liked it because they wouldn't have to install the games on the internal sd card, if I remember right you didn't need an emunand (my memory is foggy about that). Anyway, the gateway card was convienient to use but the creators were so evil they put a code to brick 3ds's if it detected something weird. Remember how I said nintendo patched ds flashcarts with each update? same happened with gateway but after a while the dev would release an update to the kernel of the card and you could use it again. After that with the bricks and things like that people reverse engineered gateways menu in order to downgrade from 9.2 to 4.5, you could do it without having the card (I did) and slowly custom firmwares started to appear:reinand, pasta(not remembering well), rxtools if I remember right. After some time people made arm9loaderhax, which helped having a full cfw, then bootstrap and in betweend Luma was born. Since luma has different levels of protection and no malicious code people use it instead of gateway, also the devs behind gateway were arrested if I remember right so no more updates after nintendo blocked it. If anyone remembers it differently feel free to correct me
tl;dr: gateway:you don't have to install the games on internal sd, so more space and nostalgia
luma:safer, up to date and regularely updated, with more features

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I see your point, for someone who gets into console modding right now they may not know of the history of modding certain consoles. Well, after the 3ds launched people couldn't play backups of 3ds games, but flashcarts used for ds games worked. Nintendo blacklisted flashcarts with each update. After a while the 3ds got a "cfw" of sorts, it was the mset exploit. It was unstable and you had to launch it every time you booted the 3ds, some times it would take like 7 or 8 tries other times 2 or 3. The mset exploit was only available for 4.5 3ds so if you updated there was no way to play backups, it also had something called emunand, or "emulated nand" which made a copy of the system os on the sd card and all titles were installed there so if something happened you could avoid bricks and also could delete the emunand and make another easily. After a while came Gateway, a flashcart for the 3ds that would let you play 3ds backups using the red card and ds backups using the blue card. Since it was a flashcart people liked it because they wouldn't have to install the games on the internal sd card, if I remember right you didn't need an emunand (my memory is foggy about that). Anyway, the gateway card was convienient to use but the creators were so evil they put a code to brick 3ds's if it detected something weird. Remember how I said nintendo patched ds flashcarts with each update? same happened with gateway but after a while the dev would release an update to the kernel of the card and you could use it again. After that with the bricks and things like that people reverse engineered gateways menu in order to downgrade from 9.2 to 4.5, you could do it without having the card (I did) and slowly custom firmwares started to appear:reinand, pasta(not remembering well), rxtools if I remember right. After some time people made arm9loaderhax, which helped having a full cfw, then bootstrap and in betweend Luma was born. Since luma has different levels of protection and no malicious code people use it instead of gateway, also the devs behind gateway were arrested if I remember right so no more updates after nintendo blocked it. If anyone remembers it differently feel free to correct me
tl;dr: gateway:you don't have to install the games on internal sd, so more space and nostalgia
luma:safer, up to date and regularely updated, with more features
That's true. Gateway was the ONLY method for playing 3DS backups before Luma3DS existed. If you have Gateway, you can have all of your ROMs internally on the red card, so you can have much more space and freedom on your SysNAND. But I totally get the poster's point, Luma3DS is much more regularly updated and has far more advanced features than the competition.

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France

zekro94 Very nice story just before going to sleep, It was at long story but really liked it, like a fairy tale to me ^^ Was wondering,....Why were gateway people evil and bricking systems? That was just bad for their reputation.. As a newcomer to 3DS world, I bought a Ace3DSX flashcard and thought once the system is CFW, I would be able to use the card inside like a game and reboot...The card would launch a menu, and I would be able to launch any *.3ds files like in an emu. I only discovered you could install cia files with fbi but doing that is quite risky (if something occurs when installing, it can create a pb to your nand, it's slow, and so small you cannot put much and it, so luma is "usable" but questionnable for a young kid to understand all this "shit".

@]SylverReZ Also, why do you say Gateway was the only method? why use the past? At the moment, I'm wondering why you cannot put the cia file on the SD card and create a kind of shortcut on the nand of the 2DS/3DS (a bit like on the wiiu). I don't really see the point of 3DS games having to be connected to internet so why do people update? (joke...for os ugrades!) I only see 3DS games as offline games (I do see the point for a ps4) so why ever update a 3DS? Gamers: Why update a console? did we had to update Snes and Genesis?? All should resist to this shit!! we want the nineties easyness back!! Now you spend so many time not playing, but losing time and having a headache with newest console because of loading time/time to understand/updates/online players competing with unknowns persons like two IAs playing with themselves instead persons in reality....

Think a moment, haven't gamers become brainless accepting this somehow?

Last edited by mrmagicm,
  • Sad

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country

zekro94 Very nice story just before going to sleep, It was at long story but really liked it, like a fairy tale to me ^^ Was wondering,....Why were gateway people evil and bricking systems? That was just bad for their reputation.. As a newcomer to 3DS world, I bought a Ace3DSX flashcard and thought once the system is CFW, I would be able to use the card inside like a game and reboot...The card would launch a menu, and I would be able to launch any *.3ds files like in an emu. I only discovered you could install cia files with fbi but doing that is quite risky (if something occurs when installing, it can create a pb to your nand, it's slow, and so small you cannot put much and it, so luma is "usable" but questionnable for a young kid to understand all this "shit".

@]SylverReZ Also, why do you say Gateway was the only method? why use the past? At the moment, I'm wondering why you cannot put the cia file on the SD card and create a kind of shortcut on the nand of the 2DS/3DS (a bit like on the wiiu). I don't really see the point of 3DS games having to be connected to internet so why do people update? (joke...for os ugrades!) I only see 3DS games as offline games (I do see the point for a ps4) so why ever update a 3DS? Gamers: Why update a console? did we had to update Snes and Genesis?? All should resist to this shit!! we want the nineties easyness back!! Now you spend so many time not playing, but losing time and having a headache with newest console because of loading time/time to understand/updates/online players competing with unknowns persons like two IAs playing with themselves instead persons in reality....

Think a moment, haven't gamers become brainless accepting this somehow?
They were doing it because after gateway gained a little fame some manufacturers made clones, the brick would occur on clones using the gateway firmware.
I see your confusion but when installing with fbi you're not installing to nand, you're installing to the sd card so you can get a larger card. Luma is the most noob friendly one of the bunch. Nowadays bricks are rare, if you don't uninstall system files or don't delete partitions there are no risks. Installed cia always went to the sd card but the emunand was a separate partition, you didn't install games to the nand. You could install with devmenu if I remember right (it was a leaked program from nintendo, so it was risky. It was alse very simple UI, only after that people made fbi which is miles better)
So basically you are installing to the sd card and making a shortcut to the home menu. Also, people still play online on the 3ds, there is a custom mario kart with custom tracks and all https://gbatemp.net/threads/mario-kart-7-custom-track-grand-prix-7-ctgp-7.396936/
Some people update in order to get that annoying update out of the way, others by accident. Some people just like to do things their way.
So nowadays you can use either Luma, gateway or ace3dsx or othe flashcarts. Remember what I said, mset was available for 4.5 and gateway came when the 3ds had 9.2, so it was really the only way to play backups on that firmware. @SylverReZ is right

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ha ok, I thought Gateway were bricking their own customers.....That was not exactly the case, but indeed they were Evil.
"if you don't uninstall system files or don't delete partitions there are no risks" is it possible to know what the system files are?
Can some of these be uninstalled??
  • Health and Safety Information
  • Nintendo 3DS Camera
  • Nintendo 3DS Sound
  • Mii Maker
  • StreetPass Mii Plaza
  • Nintendo eShop
  • AR Games: Augmented Reality
  • Face Raiders
  • Activity Log
  • Download Play
  • 3D Visual Experience (only on New Nintendo 3DS/New Nintendo 3DS XL)
  • Friend list
  • Game Notes
  • Internet Browser
  • Miiverse ??
How is it possible to know what space is Left on the Nand? How to install a app to the Nand if it installs itself by default on SD card? How to cleanup your Sd card when you don't know what some directories are which app?

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ha ok, I thought Gateway were bricking their own customers.....That was not exactly the case, but indeed they were Evil.
Incorrect. Gateway purposely bricked consoles by adding a piece of malicious code starting from v2.0b2. If it detected that the checksum was wrong, then it would lock the e-MMC with a password, therefore rendering the console inoperable. The code can also trigger if your SD card was corrupted when transferring files over.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If Nintendo ever releases a 11.18 update or so, then I'll update this thread. It should still work with Gateway by then, since the only thing changed is by patching the current system modules with older ones.

Reactions: qhuy127

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you very much for all the work, I really appreciate any effort to keep Gateway alive (and I'll never understand why people will keep being so aggressive about telling that it's obsolete and one should "just use Luma" - I mean, why not both? It's cool to have an additional flashcart where you can easily drag and drop ROMs.)

There's just one thing about your guide that really confuses me. You're telling us to pick the "updates" folder from the 123AB package and install it after installing the full FW update, you're even calling those files "patches". In the original 123AB tutorial it's the complete opposite. He suggests to first install the files found in "updates" and then install the files found in "updates (update!)". So he basically tells us to overwrite the files which you suggest to install last.

I always thought those "patches" were just a quick downgrade before installing his modified files.

I tried your guide (or at least step 3 since I'm already on GW + B9S / FW 11.15.0-47) but unfortunately I only end up with a black screen. The same thing happens when updating via System settings (which someone claimed to be safe if you're on my FW version). I might try it again with a full downgrade beforehand (according to your step 1).

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's just one thing about your guide that really confuses me. You're telling us to pick the "updates" folder from the 123AB package and install it after installing the full FW update, you're even calling those files "patches". In the original 123AB tutorial it's the complete opposite. He suggests to first install the files found in "updates" and then install the files found in "updates (update!)". So he basically tells us to overwrite the files which you suggest to install last.

I always thought those "patches" were just a quick downgrade before installing his modified files.
The "updates (update!)" folder contains an old system update, where as "updates" contain the patches to allow Gateway to run.

I tried your guide (or at least step 3 since I'm already on GW + B9S / FW 11.15.0-47) but unfortunately I only end up with a black screen. The same thing happens when updating via System settings (which someone claimed to be safe if you're on my FW version). I might try it again with a full downgrade beforehand (according to your step 1).
I recommend you update your system to 11.17 since that is the system firmware that I have tested this fully on. Try clearing the HOME Menu management cache. If that doesn't work, do a system downgrade to sanitise the NAND.

Reactions: bjaxx87

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The "updates (update!)" folder contains an old system update, where as "updates" contain the patches to allow Gateway to run.
Thanks for the explanation. I still wonder, though - why did he tell to first install the patches and then the system update?

I recommend you update your system to 11.17 since that is the system firmware that I have tested this fully on.
That's exactly what I'm trying to do. :D GW runs perfectly fine on 11.15.0-47 but I want to update so I can get back online before the service ends in April.

Try clearing the HOME Menu management cache. If that doesn't work, do a system downgrade to sanitise the NAND.
Thank you, I will try that. Never heard about the Home Menu management cache, though. Is it the CacheD.dat file which is explained to delete here?

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, I will try that. Never heard about the Home Menu management cache, though. Is it the CacheD.dat file which is explained to delete here?
Yes. I also recommend doing this step too:

"If you want to find which <ID0> folder you are using, launch GodMode9 and go to SysNAND CTRNAND (EmuNAND CTRNAND if using EmuNAND)
1. Go to the data folder, the folder name will be the same as the <ID0> folder you are currently using

1. Launch GodMode9 and select SD Card (replace ** with correct name for the region)
2. Go into Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/extdata/00000000/000000**/00000000/ [USA = 8F][EUR = 98][JPN = 82]
3. Delete "00000005" (it should be around 5MB)"

Reactions: bjaxx87

lazyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
how do go about reverting my n3ds back to stock.
If i remember correctly, because the account/menu exploit is modified from the system, there were problems with updates and such.

thinking about taking one of my n3ds to the normal homebrew route to see what i'm missing.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
how do go about reverting my n3ds back to stock.
If i remember correctly, because the account/menu exploit is modified from the system, there were problems with updates and such.

thinking about taking one of my n3ds to the normal homebrew route to see what i'm missing.
https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
that's what i mean, i think with gateway, it falls under 'Installed a custom HOME Menu (not a custom theme)' where it says it will brick your console.
I think i might have nand backup somewhere though, but i'm going on the assumption it's gone
Still. Go try the safety test. if it works you can uninstall cfw. i dont think gateway was ever a custom home menu

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, I tried a lot of things by now (of course including the full downgrade and the deletion of CacheD.dat) and I realized that my Gateway EmuNAND works fine (most of the time at least). It's Luma (which is my main FW) that is blackscreening after the update.

Do you use Luma next to Gateway or is your system GW-only? If yes, what version of Luma do you use? If I recall this correctly any Luma version from 8.0 onwards (when they introduced the Rosalina menu) didn't like the GW Franken-NANDs which is why I'm still using a very old Luma version (7.1).

EDIT: Just tried to go online in my GW EmuNAND and I'm getting error 002-0119 which means that it recognizes I'm on a lower firmware. So even if Luma wasn't blackscreening I still wouldn't be able to play online.

Last edited by bjaxx87,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. You can download the latest 3DS firmware for your model and region from the usual places. Extract the (.cia) files to an empty folder onto your SD card, and install them using GodMode9.

I wouldn't advise connecting to the internet to update as you can brick your 3DS installing another region firmware.
problem is, my JAP N3DSLL will not do anything at all, constant black screen (blue light), the only thing it can do is enter the official recovery mode from Nintendo to download the firmware but it wont get an active connection (it connect to my WiFi, but fails at the last part).

I have managed to find the other N3DS XL console that was set up EXACTLY the same as my JAP N3DSLL - It however was an AUS console I again had downgraded to 9.x.

Whatever exploit it was that I used years ago is EXACTLY the same, only difference is on my JAP 3DS LL I had it set to only run EXPLOIT if DPAD DOWN was held when turning the console ON, if nothing was held, the console boots as NORMAL.

The AUS 3DS XL EXPLOIT was set to AUTO trigger as soon as you turned the console ON, and after selecting GATEWAY 3DS and the console booting, I had set it to HOLD DPAD DOWN to prevent it from TRIGGERING THE EXPLOIT LOOP returning you back to the EXPLOIT again and then booting into GATEWAY 3DS MODE.

I haven't done anything to either 3DS consoles, the AUS one I had sold onto someone so I don't want to touch anything and RISK doing something to the AUS 3DS where Ill end up having to replace it with another MODDED 3DS as I haven't touched a 3DS in many many years, I have pretty much forgot everything.

But I am wondering, in THEORY, with me setting both consoles up using the same EXPLOIT, and the AUS one AUTO triggering the EXPLOIT - would it in THEORY do the same if I insert the console's SD Card from the AUS 3DS XL into my JAP 3DS LL.

Would it AUTO trigger its EXPLOIT and bring me to its EXPLOIT menu (where I could select GATEWAY/LUMA/FREESHOP etc) but let me use what I HOPE is my NAND backup I created of my JAP 3DS LL and recover my console before I fucked it up (which I think I may have accidently deleted something SYSTEM RELATED when using FBI INSTALLER to remove JAP DEMO'S off the 3DS HOMESCREEN).

And sorry it has taken me a LONG time to reply back, my health/memory is fading (no thanks to cancer) so I keep forgetting things until days/weeks later it pops back again and GBATEMP notifications for me don't always show in the correct date order, but if anyone can help me, I would really apreciate if you could fire over an INBOX, that way it will display differently to a NOTIFICATION where I will be more prompted to CLICK and SEE what it is.

THank you.

• Wow

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And sorry it has taken me a LONG time to reply back, my health/memory is fading (no thanks to cancer) so I keep forgetting things until days/weeks later it pops back again and GBATEMP notifications for me don't always show in the correct date order, but if anyone can help me, I would really apreciate if you could fire over an INBOX, that way it will display differently to a NOTIFICATION where I will be more prompted to CLICK and SEE what it is.
I'm very sorry to hear about your health struggles. Get better soon, Spidey. 🫂 :sad:

problem is, my JAP N3DSLL will not do anything at all, constant black screen (blue light), the only thing it can do is enter the official recovery mode from Nintendo to download the firmware but it wont get an active connection (it connect to my WiFi, but fails at the last part).

I have managed to find the other N3DS XL console that was set up EXACTLY the same as my JAP N3DSLL - It however was an AUS console I again had downgraded to 9.x.

Whatever exploit it was that I used years ago is EXACTLY the same, only difference is on my JAP 3DS LL I had it set to only run EXPLOIT if DPAD DOWN was held when turning the console ON, if nothing was held, the console boots as NORMAL.
I would recommend you update your CFW setup to the latest before doing any of this: https://3ds.guide

Would it AUTO trigger its EXPLOIT and bring me to its EXPLOIT menu (where I could select GATEWAY/LUMA/FREESHOP etc) but let me use what I HOPE is my NAND backup I created of my JAP 3DS LL and recover my console before I fucked it up (which I think I may have accidently deleted something SYSTEM RELATED when using FBI INSTALLER to remove JAP DEMO'S off the 3DS HOMESCREEN).
No. If you don't hold down D-PAD DOWN to run Gateway, then it will boot straight into Luma3DS where you can use your modded system normally. Do make sure you have a NAND backup prior to performing this like I mentioned, as it involves performing critical steps to your console.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm very sorry to hear about your health struggles. Get better soon, Spidey. 🫂 :sad:

I would recommend you update your CFW setup to the latest before doing any of this: https://3ds.guide

No. If you don't hold down D-PAD DOWN to run Gateway, then it will boot straight into Luma3DS where you can use your modded system normally. Do make sure you have a NAND backup prior to performing this like I mentioned, as it involves performing critical steps to your console.
Sorry back then this was my JAP 3DS the exploit didnt have Luma installed, but now I think it has something system related I accidently deleted with FBI when deleting the JAP demos.

It would only boot exploit at power on if dpad down was held, if nothing was pressed the console boots into its normal mode.

I had the other 3DS i modded but had to return it, but this one because the owner didnt want to forget how to do it, i had set to auto boot into exploit, then they would have to select gateway mode then theyd know to hold dpad down after it for it not to be in a loop of entering the expliot over and over.

Mine was set up basically opposite, had to hold to trigger exploit.

but it is literraly dead, nothing at all will happen, the only thing that it will do is the official nintendo recovery mode to download firmware but wont get connected, so that is why i am thinking its semi bricked, hopefully.

the owner of the other one i did for them says they dont use it anymore but may consider selling it (but due to how i am and everything skint) i might try save to get it back but i have never seen anyone not look after their stuff as bad as this poor console has been treated, its shell looks like its been dipped in an acid pit and all its beutiful red shiny paint melted away to show a horrible gray rusty like metal surface :(

where my JAP 3DS is still crystal polished, even my AUS red (this one i may have to look at putting base 9.x FW back on and doing this guide to use GW to make cheat codes) or buy that one off him and follow the guide to update it.

this is all i plan on doing is firstly fixing the JAP using its NAND backup and making cheat codes again.

Last edited by Spider_Man,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto