Confirmed Nintendo Switch is using stock Nvidia Tegra X1, no modifications.

All is confirmed the Nintendo Switch is powered by stock Nvidia Tegra X1, same chipset used in Shield TV. The most surprising is the retention of 4 Cortex A53 processor cores, which have no use in the Nintendo switch as they can't be operated at the same time when Cortex A57 cores are running due to the ARM big.little configuration setup.

main-unit-6.jpg

Nvidia-T210.jpg

After subsequent processing of the GPU from the Nintendo Switch, we have determined that the processor is the Nvidia Tegra T210. The T210 CPU features 4 Cortex A57 and 4 Cortex A53 processor cores and the GPU is a GM20B Maxell core.

http://techinsights.com/about-techinsights/overview/blog/nintendo-switch-teardown/

Nvidia Tegra X1 features
  • 8 core CPU (4 x Cortex A57 and 4 x Cortex A53)
  • GPU is a GM20B Maxell core

A comparison to Shield TV. Switch specs on the left, and Shield TV on the right. The clock speeds are reported from Eurogamer, which are very much true.

• RAM: 4GB vs 3GB
  • CPU: 1Ghz vs. 2Ghz
  • GPU: 3 modes:307.2Mhz/384Mhz/768Mhz vs 1Ghz

Shield TV is clocked higher initially in both CPU and GPU, but don't forget Shield TV can't keep these clock speeds up for long, it throttles down to the exact switch's dock clockspeeds. Which further supports a stock X1.

Last edited by heartgold,

Xabring

Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
So the Switch really is just a rebranded Nvidia Shield Tablet.
With WiiMotes on steroids! rebranded as JoyCons!

That being said I'm fine with the power the Switch has. I have my Gaming PC for demanding titles.
me and you both buddy, that's why I have PC.

With the difference being Switch runs actual games instead of worthless apps.
THIS!

Why is everyone acting like this is a surprise? We all knew it would be underpowered. It's a mobile device, for one thing.

Underpowered? Obviously.
Overpriced? Definitely.
Stopped me from buying one? Not a chance.

Good graphics do not a good game make. Or something.
of course!

the specs do not seem to be outstanding ,but as long as the games run fine with those specs then all good i guess o-o'
and THIS is why wii got to switch to ...the switch.

In fact, if you have Windows 10, you can play Xbox games right on your PC!*

*except not really
the reason I have a PC, AND with PlayStation subscription on PC, I don't miss any "exclusive" that I am interested in.

The lie that people seem to skip entirely by not reading the thread and only looking for trigger words (like lie) was that the switch would be powered by a custom Tegra processor comparable to the top performing GeForce gaming graphics card. It's a stock model, and not exactly that powerful either. Everyone is bringing console comparisons into the fray, but the now undeniable fact is the Switch is nowhere near as powerful as the current consoles, which means there will likely be less third party support. That's a bit worrisome for me, as one of the reasons I got the Switch was to play Skyrim on the go. Long car trip? Let's quicksave and kill everyone in Whiterun.

Considering the sheer amount of criticisms (not hate, but legitimate criticisms), it makes me think that Nintendo should take the SEGA route and just become a game developer/publisher. I'd love to play a Legend of Zelda/Metroid/Fire Emblem game on the ps4/pc.

This exact quote is the lie that got me somewhat hyped up:
"Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards."

I still like the switch, but i can't really defend it against the legitimate criticisms.

A LIE made by Nvidia, of ALL people. Nintendo didn't mention a thing (which was risky, to say the least). And thus, I am more likely to look for a VEGA video card next year or two.

There isn't a single console maker who has learned that lesson, but they also don't want to charge $700+ for modern hardware. I posted a video in this same thread showing a GTX 680 outclassing PS4. A fucking GTX 680. C'est la vie.
This is another reason why I have a PC. don't need a machine that pretend to make 4K when I have a machine that ACTUALLY IS CAPABLE OF 4K

well, it's clear that Switch is not catered to the power users, but to the mainstrean, they want their wii 2.0 to sell to the grannies and daddies yet again (and to us that likes Nintendo games of course).
as I said before, Joycons are Wiimotes on steroids. of course, however, it remains to see if they are successful on the mainstream, their bet is that one.

Reactions: driverdis and Yil

greator

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Idiots comparing a GCN emulator made by some anonymous to a Nintendo own emulator.
The Wii can play GC games, WiiU is more powerful than Wii, and Switch is more powerful than WiiU let alone Wii. Do you think you can judge Switch power to run GCN games based on someones emulator on Shield TV, that runs an android?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idiots comparing a GCN emulator made by some anonymous to a Nintendo own emulator.
The Wii can play GC games, WiiU is more powerful than Wii, and Switch is more powerful than WiiU let alone Wii. Do you think you can judge Switch power to run GCN games based on someones emulator on Shield TV, that runs an android?

The Wii playing GC, the Wii U playing Gamecube, those aren't emulators. Those are compatibility layers, they are closer to virtual machines. Emulators are NOT even close to VMs.

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, Nvidia is the liar. But they are speaking in behalf of nintendo, as supposedly they were working together on the switch. It may not seem as bad as if Nintendo was lying to us directly, but this comes pretty close. The fact that they did not correct Nvidia implies that they were okay if we believed that it was more powerful than it actually was, and if someone were to find out that it was not true, they could easily just blame Nvidia.

For example, say you're trying to score a date in a bar. Your wingman says you can bench 300 pounds, and the girl, vain as she could be, agrees to date you on it. So after you start seeing each other for a while, you go to a gym, and she finds out that you can't actually bench that many pounds. You didn't lie to her, your wingman did, you say as your defense. Doesn't stop her from being any less mad.

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The Wii u is backwards compatible with the Wii as well the later to the game cube, is not emulation we are talking about on Wii u case, Nintendo doesn't have the skills to create a game cube emulator on the Wii u in part due to weak hardware

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
Seeing as how it's portable not sure what everyone expected? I figured 0.5-1tflop all along. The 3DS is weaker than the vita but that didn't stop it but pummeling it's ass in the ground on software and sales. The Tegra X1 isn't exactly weak but yes it's built for mobile devices so there's no way it was going to be as powerful as PS4. Also not every Xbox one or PS4 game pushes their hardware to the limits and quite a bit of their CPU/gpu goes to background apps and dashboard. Breath of the wild only falls in fps due to firmware issues not processing power and as long as my switch can play cool games like Zelda at home and on the go I'm in and don't regret my purchase. I want super power I'll play pc or a Xbox Scorpio (when it's released)

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well, it's clear that Switch is not catered to the power users, but to the mainstrean, they want their wii 2.0 to sell to the grannies and daddies yet again (and to us that likes Nintendo games of course).
as I said before, Joycons are Wiimotes on steroids. of course, however, it remains to see if they are successful on the mainstream, their bet is that one.

"Power Users"? I think you misspelled "Console Peasants". I had no choice but to buy the Switch as a portable to replace my aging N3DSXL since nobody else cares about the portable market other than Nintendo. How can you compare it to anything else?

You cannot compare it to other consoles because it is NOT a console, it is a portable that you can hook up to your TV.

EDIT: If you guys want to compare it to something compare it to Vita or 3DS, duh!

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it struggles to run 900p. and literally what games run 900p these days? only the most un-optimized games, most games on Xbox one and PS4 are running 1080p. And Zelda runs 720p smoother than 900p. Can't maintain 30fps at all, 720p or not. the X1 was simply made to only run 720p, not 900p. That is why it struggles so hard.

It has framedrops because of sheer underpower. the fact that it's running on ancient hardware. The performance takes a hit when wifi is on, like wtf.

This is not true. The Switch still has more than twice the Wii U's power, but it struggles to run Zelda. It's because the Switch version is a rushed port, not very optimized. Aonuma himself said that unfortunately BotW couldn't use all of the Switch's power. Fast RMX runs at smooth 1080p@60fps, same for MK8Deluxe and Super Mario Odyssey. And not, only a few AAA games run at 1080p on XB1/PS4. 900p is still a standard, but they use AA to hide the weaker resolution. If you want true 1080p on these games, the Potato Masher PC runs at smooth 60fps and outclasses these two "consoles" while using a 5-year-old CPU and a 6-year-old GPU.

The hardware is far from ancient. Ancient isn't an appropriate word. The Pi 3 uses a recent ARM processor, but it's a weak one. Doesn't mean it's old HW. The Switch still does the job of furnishing the most power ever achieved on a device of this size.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Seeing as how it's portable not sure what everyone expected? I figured 0.5-1tflop all along. The 3DS is weaker than the vita but that didn't stop it but pummeling it's ass in the ground on software and sales. The Tegra X1 isn't exactly weak but yes it's built for mobile devices so there's no way it was going to be as powerful as PS4. Also not every Xbox one or PS4 game pushes their hardware to the limits and quite a bit of their CPU/gpu goes to background apps and dashboard. Breath of the wild only falls in fps due to firmware issues not processing power and as long as my switch can play cool games like Zelda at home and on the go I'm in and don't regret my purchase. I want super power I'll play pc or a Xbox Scorpio (when it's released)

Don't suicide yourself, join the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Not joking. The latest GTX 1080 Ti is alone (w/o CPU) 2 times more powerful than the dirty Scorpio.

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
This is not true. The Switch still has more than twice the Wii U's power, but it struggles to run Zelda. It's because the Switch version is a rushed port, not very optimized. Aonuma himself said that unfortunately BotW couldn't use all of the Switch's power. Fast RMX runs at smooth 1080p@60fps, same for MK8Deluxe and Super Mario Odyssey. And not, only a few AAA games run at 1080p on XB1/PS4. 900p is still a standard, but they use AA to hide the weaker resolution. If you want true 1080p on these games, the Potato Masher PC runs at smooth 60fps and outclasses these two "consoles" while using a 5-year-old CPU and a 6-year-old GPU.

The hardware is far from ancient. Ancient isn't an appropriate word. The Pi 3 uses a recent ARM processor, but it's a weak one. Doesn't mean it's old HW. The Switch still does the job of furnishing the most power ever achieved on a device of this size.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Don't suicide yourself, join the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Not joking. The latest GTX 1080 Ti is alone (w/o CPU) 2 times more powerful than the dirty Scorpio.
Actually I just recently got an internet provider with no caps so I'm going to build a pc sometime this year. Still buying a Scorpio though. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the tegra x1 stock capable of a tflop? Not sure where everyone is getting 0.5? Must of read over something.

Last edited by slingblade1170,
D

Deleted-401606

"Power Users"? I think you misspelled "Console Peasants". I had no choice but to buy the Switch as a portable to replace my aging N3DSXL since nobody else cares about the portable market other than Nintendo. How can you compare it to anything else?

You cannot compare it to other consoles because it is NOT a console, it is a portable that you can hook up to your TV.

EDIT: If you guys want to compare it to something compare it to Vita or 3DS, duh!

Keep telling yourself that. What portable only last for 2 hours? Switch is going to flop for sure.

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

lol I can't wait to see all the defects and hate on Scorpoopio when it launches... <drool>

Still enjoying my MSi 980Ti SLI. I think I'll wait for the next gen after 1080Ti, nothing has made a dent in my rig yet...

VZiHFpr_grande.jpg

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if this is the reason Nvidia opted not to release a Shield Tablet X1. Shame that they sold out like that, and to Nintendo no less. And despite the power of the X1, Nintendo is STILL stingy about making all their games 1080p and 2160p. I hope Nvidia makes another Shield Tablet with the successor to the X1 though, that would be awesome.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Anyone here?