Hardware New Nvidia Shield = New Nintendo Switch?

Searing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
X2 would be a big boost, I expected it in the shield 2019, if it's not there, then I'd say it's probably not in the new switch.

What's frustrating to me is the cost to manufacture the X2 is identical to the X1, advantages coming from Pascal vs Maxwell and the use of FinFets for manufacturing. It is mainly a newer design with a wider ram bus which is critical for gaming, but the same number of GPU cores. In fact it has less CPU cores, 6 instead of 8, as the 4 useless slowest cores that the Switch doesn't use (it only uses the 4 "faster" ones) are exchanged for 2 extra fast nVidia Denver cores. Even then, we're not talking fast compared to a mid range cell phone chip today, as it is already 3.5 years old.

Last edited by Searing,

Freeze1919

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The real money is made in software. If there is a lot of pent up demand for a more powerful Switch, having more market share will lead to more game sales, which leads to more money being made. Nintendo absolutely needs a higher powered model. They are only selling at the $300 price point while their competitors sell 10s of millions of consoles for $400 or $500.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Honestly nVidia seems entirely uninterested in consoles. Samsung has a new EUV foundry coming next year, and just licensed AMD RNDA architecture for their chip designs. A Samsung CPU/GPU combo with RDNA makes the most sense for the next gen Switch. I mean circa 2021. I would like a Tegra X2 Switch from nVidia this year in the meantime, but I'm not holding my breath. Nintendo has been nothing but a disappointment with hardware performance since the Gamecube, so I shouldn't get my hopes up. The only reason I'm a little hopeful is Nintendo has a new CEO and he might be more interested in the idea than the old CEO.

Doesn't really matter what their competitors sell consoles for, its the profit margins. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X both cost more to make. Most of the money is made from the games, but more consoles sold means more games to sell people to.

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not if they release a trimmed-down, budget version simultaneously. Thus the rumor about Switch Lite. Basically the same strategy they used with 3DS: three models are better than one.

i have a feeling that ps5 and xbox4 will have two models at launch, one with the specs of a ps4pro/xb1x and one thats the real ps5.xb4

Freeze1919

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i have a feeling that ps5 and xbox4 will have two models at launch, one with the specs of a ps4pro/xb1x and one thats the real ps5.xb4

I highly doubt that, because games would have to be built around the crappier of the two consoles. Sony have already released videos of the new PS5 load times and speeds in comparison to the PS4 models. It is literally 10X the speed.

Reactions: Xzi

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt that, because games would have to be built around the crappier of the two consoles. Sony have already released videos of the new PS5 load times and speeds in comparison to the PS4 models. It is literally 10X the speed.

the motherboard and the chip would be the same in both but one would have a higher gpu chip in it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
the motherboard and the chip would be the same in both but one would have a higher gpu chip in it.
Well, there's no point in re-releasing the same product under a different name, that would only serve to confuse the hell out of customers. Besides, PS5 and Scarlett are backwards compatible, so even PS4 Pro/XB1X optimized games can take advantage of the extra power to give us higher resolutions and framerates.

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo isn't going to release a more powerful switch any time soon regardless of what Nvidia does in my opinion.

1. The current model is selling incredibly well
2. They dominated E3 so sales will only increase
3. They need a 3DS replacement as it is at its end
4. They will wan't to target people that don't have/want to pay the price of the regular switch model
5. If they sell a more powerful model they need to reduce the old version in price, it has happened every time/for every console
6. Why reduce the price of a console that is still selling at its peak potential :P.

Maybe I will be proven wrong, but I think at most in the near future, a mini will be released to replace what nintendo is lacking, a purely portable console.

Depending on when the others release their next gen consoles, they need to release a revised model before or near to them to stay relevant i.e. have 'new offering'

Last edited by ganons,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Why? I'll look it up, but this listing was from the play store, though people did say sometimes device specs are listed with placeholders (but then why wouldn't they have used the current Nvidia shield specs?

Edit:

From Android Police:

"This post originally contained speculation regarding a hotword system feature based on an incorrectly labeled table of system feature differences between the two device listings. The labels have been corrected, and discussion of the hotword system feature removed."

I do not doubt this will be the new switch, but with more fans, didn't Nintendo say the change wouldn't be much of a upgrade? But we will see, still might be other changes that we don't know, weird though that they would change the processor, I expected them to use the tegra X2.
The Tegra X2 is designed for self driving cars, not mobile devices.

Reactions: Ericthegreat

Searing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Tegra X2 is designed for self driving cars, not mobile devices.

No, you are thinking of Xavier (an X3 if you will). Tegra X2 is a more power efficient version of the X1, on a smaller node, and with a larger bus width for better ram. Uses less power, not more. I explained everything in my post I think. More power efficient, double ram bus, 2 high power CPU cores plus 4 normal, instead of 4+4.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
No, you are thinking of Xavier (an X3 if you will). Tegra X2 is a more power efficient version of the X1, on a smaller node, and with a larger bus width for better ram. Uses less power, not more. I explained everything in my post I think. More power efficient, double ram bus, 2 high power CPU cores plus 4 normal, instead of 4+4.
No, I was definitely thinking of the X2. Nvidia Drive PX2 uses it, and besides the X2 dev board the X2 has only been used for car computers. But it is apparently a general purpose SoC, so I guess there's nothing stopping people from putting it into a tablet, apart from maybe power consumption and heat production.

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A new Nvidia Shield model has been spotted, its more powerful than the last. The last one had the exact same chip as the Nintendo Switch. Does this mean a New Nintendo Switch will also appear with higher specs? Will it have the same "Tegra X1 T210" chip? Upon further inspection of the chip myself, the specs suggest that the frequency is twice as powerful although real world testing would be completely different. Is this chip enough of a power boost to justify reselling a console, and will you guys go out an buy it?

Nintendo Specs
"SoC would be an Nvidia Tegra X1 SoC with 4 ARM Cortex-A57 CPU cores and 4 ARM Cortex-A53 CPU cores along with 256 Maxwell based CUDA GPU cores.[128][129]This was later corroborated by an analysis on the console done by Tech Insights in March 2017.[130][131] The CPU cores are clocked at 1.020 GHz, as revealed by DigitalFoundry. The GPU cores vary between 768 MHz and 307.2 MHz depending upon whether the device is docked; however, they can be boosted to 921 MHz and 420 MHz, respectively.[132][133] A later iFixIt teardown of the final product confirmed 4GB of LPDDR4.[134]"

Tegra X1 T210 specs
"
T210 Cortex-A57+
Cortex-A53[105]:753 A57: 4
A53: 4[105]:753 A57: 1.9 GHz
A53: 1.3 GHz GM20B
(Maxwell)[105]:14 256:[105]:1316:16 1000 MHz 512 1024 LPDDR3/LPDDR4:773 8 GB[105]:773 64 bit[105]:773 25.6 GB/s Q2/2015
"

source:
https://www.techspot.com/news/80533-nvidia-might-working-new-shield-tv.html

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/66285/new-nvidia-shield-tv-teased-super/index.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Tegra_X1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Switch

Ah cool. I like the speculation about both the Switch and new Shield using a more powerful CPU. I wonder if nvidia will make a new nvidia Shield Tablet? I'd imagine that would conflict with Nintendo's interests in their CPU, but what will I replace my current nvidia Shield Tablet with?

Searing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, I was definitely thinking of the X2. Nvidia Drive PX2 uses it, and besides the X2 dev board the X2 has only been used for car computers. But it is apparently a general purpose SoC, so I guess there's nothing stopping people from putting it into a tablet, apart from maybe power consumption and heat production.

No no no. Power consumption and heat is LESS not more. Drive PX2 is irrelevant to what X2 is, it contains an extra discrete desktop class GPU. AS I SAID, the X2 chip is actually what the X1 was originally announced to be in 2014, before the manufacturing node issues popped up. It is the exact same, except Pascal instead of Maxwell (very tiny difference, no tensor etc. difference), double the ram bandwidth, and lower power and higher clocks because of the superior node used for manufacturing. It's amazing how many people say this for no reason.... get the same nonsense on reddit about the X2. Xavier supports faster neural net inferencing, not X2.

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah cool. I like the speculation about both the Switch and new Shield using a more powerful CPU. I wonder if nvidia will make a new nvidia Shield Tablet? I'd imagine that would conflict with Nintendo's interests in their CPU, but what will I replace my current nvidia Shield Tablet with?

is shield any good? i almost bought years ago. but hopefully ntendo doesnt get too ambitious with the technicals of the games like they did with switch because a lot of the games are bad, on a technical performance level. time and time again i see them try to make games that their own system cannot play.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
No no no. Power consumption and heat is LESS not more. Drive PX2 is irrelevant to what X2 is, it contains an extra discrete desktop class GPU. AS I SAID, the X2 chip is actually what the X1 was originally announced to be in 2014, before the manufacturing node issues popped up. It is the exact same, except Pascal instead of Maxwell (very tiny difference, no tensor etc. difference), double the ram bandwidth, and lower power and higher clocks because of the superior node used for manufacturing. It's amazing how many people say this for no reason.... get the same nonsense on reddit about the X2. Xavier supports faster neural net inferencing, not X2.
It's just that phones now have more issues with heat and throttling than before, and they combat the heat by throttling more aggressively. The issue seems to get worse over time and not better. That's highly anecdotal though.
I thought there was a bigger difference between X1 and X2 based on what people said. I can kinda see Nintendo changing over to it if the difference isn't that big. Just worried a lot of ports will end up exclusive to the new model or just run unplayably bad on the old one because devs will have less incentive to optimize their ports...

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's just that phones now have more issues with heat and throttling than before, and they combat the heat by throttling more aggressively. The issue seems to get worse over time and not better. That's highly anecdotal though.

This is due mostly to the thinness craze for phones. Focus on burst performance for smoother web browsing and social media in a tiny package, sustained gaming performance be damned. At least the current Switch X1 has some active cooling.

I tried a Razer phone recently, that thing has a vapor cooling chamber for great sustained performance, but damn was it a thick and unwieldy brick.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Hmmm for me it's probably F-Zero X at least in my top 3