New Nvidia Shield = New Nintendo Switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by gameboy, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Searing

Searing Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2019
    Canada
    What's frustrating to me is the cost to manufacture the X2 is identical to the X1, advantages coming from Pascal vs Maxwell and the use of FinFets for manufacturing. It is mainly a newer design with a wider ram bus which is critical for gaming, but the same number of GPU cores. In fact it has less CPU cores, 6 instead of 8, as the 4 useless slowest cores that the Switch doesn't use (it only uses the 4 "faster" ones) are exchanged for 2 extra fast nVidia Denver cores. Even then, we're not talking fast compared to a mid range cell phone chip today, as it is already 3.5 years old.

Last edited by Searing, Jun 19, 2019
  2. Freeze1919

Freeze1919 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2019
    Australia
    Doesn't really matter what their competitors sell consoles for, its the profit margins. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X both cost more to make. Most of the money is made from the games, but more consoles sold means more games to sell people to.

3. gameboy
    OP

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    i have a feeling that ps5 and xbox4 will have two models at launch, one with the specs of a ps4pro/xb1x and one thats the real ps5.xb4

4. Freeze1919

Freeze1919 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2019
    Australia
    I highly doubt that, because games would have to be built around the crappier of the two consoles. Sony have already released videos of the new PS5 load times and speeds in comparison to the PS4 models. It is literally 10X the speed.

Xzi likes this.
  5. gameboy
    OP

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    the motherboard and the chip would be the same in both but one would have a higher gpu chip in it.

6. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Well, there's no point in re-releasing the same product under a different name, that would only serve to confuse the hell out of customers. Besides, PS5 and Scarlett are backwards compatible, so even PS4 Pro/XB1X optimized games can take advantage of the extra power to give us higher resolutions and framerates.

7. ganons

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    Depending on when the others release their next gen consoles, they need to release a revised model before or near to them to stay relevant i.e. have 'new offering'

Last edited by ganons, Jun 19, 2019
  8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The Tegra X2 is designed for self driving cars, not mobile devices.

Ericthegreat likes this.
  9. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Interesting, so it's more like, specifically tuned for tensorflow vs gaming?

Last edited by Ericthegreat, Jun 19, 2019
  10. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I think it's more that it has power/cooling requirements unsuitable for a handheld device.

Ericthegreat likes this.
  11. Searing

Searing Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2019
    Canada
    No, you are thinking of Xavier (an X3 if you will). Tegra X2 is a more power efficient version of the X1, on a smaller node, and with a larger bus width for better ram. Uses less power, not more. I explained everything in my post I think. More power efficient, double ram bus, 2 high power CPU cores plus 4 normal, instead of 4+4.

12. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    No, I was definitely thinking of the X2. Nvidia Drive PX2 uses it, and besides the X2 dev board the X2 has only been used for car computers. But it is apparently a general purpose SoC, so I guess there's nothing stopping people from putting it into a tablet, apart from maybe power consumption and heat production.

13. Elranzer

Elranzer Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2019
    United States
    Hopefully the change from Nvidia Tegra to Samsung Exynos+Radeon doesn't mean the loss of BC.

14. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    The hardware revision will use a t210b01 lol, not an X2 or whatever else people are saying

15. cots

cots GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    Ah cool. I like the speculation about both the Switch and new Shield using a more powerful CPU. I wonder if nvidia will make a new nvidia Shield Tablet? I'd imagine that would conflict with Nintendo's interests in their CPU, but what will I replace my current nvidia Shield Tablet with?

16. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    A Nintendo Switch running android ;)

cots likes this.
  17. Searing

Searing Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2019
    Canada
    No no no. Power consumption and heat is LESS not more. Drive PX2 is irrelevant to what X2 is, it contains an extra discrete desktop class GPU. AS I SAID, the X2 chip is actually what the X1 was originally announced to be in 2014, before the manufacturing node issues popped up. It is the exact same, except Pascal instead of Maxwell (very tiny difference, no tensor etc. difference), double the ram bandwidth, and lower power and higher clocks because of the superior node used for manufacturing. It's amazing how many people say this for no reason.... get the same nonsense on reddit about the X2. Xavier supports faster neural net inferencing, not X2.

18. gameboy
    OP

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    is shield any good? i almost bought years ago. but hopefully ntendo doesnt get too ambitious with the technicals of the games like they did with switch because a lot of the games are bad, on a technical performance level. time and time again i see them try to make games that their own system cannot play.

19. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It's just that phones now have more issues with heat and throttling than before, and they combat the heat by throttling more aggressively. The issue seems to get worse over time and not better. That's highly anecdotal though.
    I thought there was a bigger difference between X1 and X2 based on what people said. I can kinda see Nintendo changing over to it if the difference isn't that big. Just worried a lot of ports will end up exclusive to the new model or just run unplayably bad on the old one because devs will have less incentive to optimize their ports...

20. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    This is due mostly to the thinness craze for phones. Focus on burst performance for smoother web browsing and social media in a tiny package, sustained gaming performance be damned. At least the current Switch X1 has some active cooling.

I tried a Razer phone recently, that thing has a vapor cooling chamber for great sustained performance, but damn was it a thick and unwieldy brick.

The Real Jdbye likes this.