Confirmed Nintendo Switch is using stock Nvidia Tegra X1, no modifications.

All is confirmed the Nintendo Switch is powered by stock Nvidia Tegra X1, same chipset used in Shield TV. The most surprising is the retention of 4 Cortex A53 processor cores, which have no use in the Nintendo switch as they can't be operated at the same time when Cortex A57 cores are running due to the ARM big.little configuration setup.

main-unit-6.jpg

Nvidia-T210.jpg

After subsequent processing of the GPU from the Nintendo Switch, we have determined that the processor is the Nvidia Tegra T210. The T210 CPU features 4 Cortex A57 and 4 Cortex A53 processor cores and the GPU is a GM20B Maxell core.

http://techinsights.com/about-techinsights/overview/blog/nintendo-switch-teardown/

Nvidia Tegra X1 features
  • 8 core CPU (4 x Cortex A57 and 4 x Cortex A53)
  • GPU is a GM20B Maxell core

A comparison to Shield TV. Switch specs on the left, and Shield TV on the right. The clock speeds are reported from Eurogamer, which are very much true.

• RAM: 4GB vs 3GB
  • CPU: 1Ghz vs. 2Ghz
  • GPU: 3 modes:307.2Mhz/384Mhz/768Mhz vs 1Ghz

Shield TV is clocked higher initially in both CPU and GPU, but don't forget Shield TV can't keep these clock speeds up for long, it throttles down to the exact switch's dock clockspeeds. Which further supports a stock X1.

Last edited by heartgold,

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nope. The Shield Tablet has a Tegra K1 which is a less powerful SoC compared to the Tegra X1. You can say it's a mobile Shield TV!
Yep K1 is correct for the tablet, but Shield TV is powered by X1.

Too hot then? I guess that explains why the Switch even gets hot at the lower clock speeds.
Precisely. Although once the switch is hacked we can probably rise the clockspeeds. ;)

Last edited by heartgold,
Reactions: Jiehfeng

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
BWAHAHA! I said the exact same thing as a joke the other day and it's actually true, oh my God, this is too funny. Oh boy, they conned everyone, including the press, by reporting a performance value that has nothing to do with reality at all since the competition reports FP32 figures. This is too good to be true, I chastised NVidia for doing that in Hate Train #1! Bow to my superior intellect - I know a scam when I f*cking see one!

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Precisely. Although once the switch is hacked we can probably rise the clockspeeds. ;)

Port the New 3DS clockspeed hack. :P

Right. And every Sony, LG, Microsoft, Huawai, Xiaomi and Nexus phone with a Snapdragon SoC is just a rebranded Samsung phone.

Yeah, look at Snapdragon.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, so the CPU is 1GHz slower than the Shield? :wtf:
Oh but wait, that's not all! This thread is also now featured on the front page for all to know if they didn't. Like i was able To decode two simple letters of N-X. :creep:

I hope this isn't off topic, but what did people think the N-X meant in the name before the official name was made? I thought it would be Nintendo X like WII U but just even dumber. :P

Maybe Nintendo "CROSS" cause usually a X in japan they refer to cross, It could have been like Nintendo X "CROSS" Nvidia like Namco "CROSS" capcom. Street fighter "CROSS" Tekken, Project "CROSS" zone.

FUN FACT: The X Button on playstation Controls is called "CROSS" not x. But on Nintendo and xbox is just X. This is also the reason why in japan the Circle button is commonly the Accept button and X or "CROSS" Is the cancel button. Circle is meant to represent OK and "CROSS" to Cancel or not OK the complete opposite. Square or "BOX" is meant for opening menus which is why is shaped like a square or box, and triangle represents point. Usually reserved for shortcuts or actions. This only applies to Japan as internationally the buttons are switched for X being okay and circle being cancel.

Similar case with nintendo who uses A and B, A to be accept, and be to be Back. The xbox controls use the same letters to represent the functions as nintendo do, but they are all placed different, more like the dreamcast controller. I have no idea why or when this started but is just silly. :unsure:

DarkenedMatter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this confirms that there definitely won't be a Gamecube VC on the Switch.
How does this confirm anything? I'm guessing when the time comes around they will boost the systems performance accordingly or only give us games that aren't resource intensive.

I also meant to state that nintendo can do a better job that whatever that person is running in that video as far as compatibility goes.

Last edited by DarkenedMatter,

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
How does this confirm anything? I'm guessing when the time comes around they will boost the systems performance accordingly or only give us games that aren't resource intensive.
This has been discussed multiple times on this site. In short, SoC is too weak to properly emulate GC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night