Not open for further replies.

ChanseyIsTheBest

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
-NO LONGER AVAILABLE CURRENTLY-

Switch-OC-Suite is an overclocking tool developed by KazushiMe which includes a modified version of sys-clk and ReverseNX-RT

https://github.com/KazushiMe/Switch-OC-Suite

Why should I use this over normal sys-clk?
Switch-OC-Suite features slightly higher clocks then sys-clk available to v2 units for more performance, and RAM overclocking for both v1 and v2 units which can boost framerates by around 10% for a minimal power draw increase.

It also has an experimental governor feature which automatically adjusts frequencies to possibly reduce power draw. Overclocking is great and necessary for 60FPS and graphics cheats (totally not shilling my database of those cheats).

Requirements:
Atmosphere: https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere
Hekate: https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate
Tesla Menu: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Menu
NX-Ovlloader: https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader

How to install:
1. Peform a full backup of your SD and sysNAND/emuNAND (There is a very low chance of filesystem corruption with 1862 RAM OC (v1) and 1996 RAM OC (Mariko).
2. Download latest release.
3. Copy all files in SdOut to the root of SD card.
4. Grab x.x.x_loader.kip for your Atmosphere version, rename it to loader.kip and place it in /atmosphere/kips/
5. Add kip1=atmosphere/kips/loader.kip to boot entry section in bootloader/hekate_ipl.ini.

How to use:
1. Open up Tesla Menu using L+D-Pad Down+Right Stick Click.
2. Choose sys-clk OC from the Tesla menu
3. Ensure it is enabled
4. Edit clocks and other settings

Safety Advice
There is a very low chance of NAND and SD Card corruption using the default RAM OC (1862 for v1, 1996 for v2), so please take a backup of those components.

Avoid using unsafe clocks. These clocks are unsafe due to power draw. Going above 998 GPU offers a marginal performance increase.

The recommended 1963/998 MHz safe frequencies for Mariko is for units with good binnings It's more like 1963/921 Mhz generally.

Avoid maxing out both GPU and CPU clocks on v1 Switches at the same time as it causes too much power draw. Here is an example from CTCaer (did hardware research for Switch) of what maxes out the power draw of the board on v1 Switches. 1785/768 on 100% load @ 1600 Ram and 5% Backlight + Wifi on + 50% Fan

Avoid setting system-wide overclock values unless you're using governor. Not every game needs OC and by setting OC values system wide you are killing your Switch faster.

Overclocking will shorten the lifespan of hardware components even at 'safe' clocks.

Feature Explanation & Governor

Governor
Governor automatically controls overclocking and underclocking so you avoid unnecessary overclocking and utilize underclocking while possible which helps with battery life. For example, if you were running a game on mGBA at 1x speed for full speed gameplay you'd only need a CPU clockspeed of 410MHz which is far lower then 1020Mhz, but if you used speed-up you'd need more then that CPU clockspeed to run. Governor would detect the higher load and clock the CPU back up to 1020MHz or whatever is needed to ensure the game is getting enough power to run well.

Sadly Governor isn't a set and forget system wide - various games have I have found issues with including an increase in input lag (Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy), worse frame pacing (Sonic Colors Ultimate), stuttering (Super Mario Odyssey), huge amounts of dropped frames leading to mass slowdown (Deathsmiles 2).

Reverse-NX-RT Modified
The version of the Reverse-NX-RT automatically changes the overclocking profile to Docked or Handheld when you switch modes (Handheld and Docked) using Reverse-NX RT. It's useful when plugged in so you can get docked mode visuals in handheld, or use handheld visuals in docked when using 60FPS cheats for more performance headroom.

Auto CPU boost
For faster game loading, overclocks the CPU to 1785 when CPU Core #3 (System core) is stressed, which is only effective only when charger is connected.

Fast Charging
There is a fast-charging (0.5A/2A) toggle included including a charge limit setter (20% - 100%), Switch Lite cannot use the fast-charging feature however, long-term use of charge limit may render the battery gauge inaccurate - performing full cycles could help recalibration, or try battery_desync_fix_nx.

RAM OC 1600 vs 1862 Comparison
v1 Switch RAM Tests - Games using 60FPS cheats to unlock framerate

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy - Docked
12.48% increase in FPS with 1862 RAM vs 1600 RAM
2023012411293800-3D8E1DE4D671F7453AFA0C395B825E90.jpg

2023012411284800-3D8E1DE4D671F7453AFA0C395B825E90.jpg

No Man's Sky - Handheld
10.52% increase in FPS with 1862 RAM vs 1600 RAM
2023012411510100-CAA427D4F8C8DC9AE87E9002D724F42C.jpg

2023012411512300-CAA427D4F8C8DC9AE87E9002D724F42C.jpg

Hot Wheels Unleashed - Docked
8.12% increase in FPS with 1862 RAM vs 1600 RAM
2023012411345500-DAC7D0D214C0C7AE31355D2CF1F19722.jpg

2023012411351000-DAC7D0D214C0C7AE31355D2CF1F19722.jpg

RAM OC 1996, 2099, 2133, 2400 Benchmarks
Credits to the people at 60FPS Discord for taking screenshots of their own Switch to compare. I appreciate you a lot.
Important Note: High GPU clock performance depends on GPU speedo which is a gacha on how well your Switch will do. Going above 998 GPU doesn't do much in terms of performance but it does in terms of power draw and heat.
v1 Overvolted #1 by tsugaru
1675783294194.png

Mariko No Auto-Adjust Ram Timings #2 By B3711
1675783508482.png

1675783515431.png

1675783522553.png

1675783528407.png

Mariko w/Auto Adjusted Ram Timings #3 by TimunKun
1675783581389.png

Mariko w/Auto Adjusted Ram Timings #4 by willowdale16
1675783848082.png

v1 w/Overvolted Ram by sds #5
1676021611491.png

1676021617917.png

Mariko w/no auto adjust #6 by swutch
1676021711836.png

Mariko, overvolted (650mv) by swutch (2400mHz worse performance vs 2133mHz no overvolt)
1676021750078.png

Disclaimer
Before making this thread I have gone tried to get the best information I can about overclocking by asking CTCaer and on RetroNX Discord as I am not a developer. If any people who know their stuff from RetroNX are looking at this thread and I got something wrong please let me know so I can fix it because I don't want to spread misinformation around.

FAQ
Q: How do I use open up and use sys-clk to edit clockspeeds for games?
A:
1. Boot into game and then open up Tesla menu using L+D-Pad Down+Right Stick Click.
2. Choose sys-clk OC from the Tesla menu
3. Ensure it is enabled (Enabled=on), and then click edit app profile
4. Change the clocks you want in edit app profile

There's also a sys-clk manager that you can edit games included which you can launch using title override (Hold R while booting game)

Q: How do I enable the unsafe clocks?
A: Above all else, you should know what "unsafe" means and issues might arise.
See the end of README in sys-clk-OC. Add this line allow_unsafe_freq=1 into /config/sys-clk/config.ini

Q: Why are higher frequencies like 14xx GPU missing, they were in previous versions of Switch-OC Suite?
A: These are missing because these clocks didn't work properly and had lower performance compared to lower clock speeds. You can set the clockspeed to anything you want i.e. 10000 Mhz and this will be reported by the system as well (Status Monitor) however the clock will silently drop and perform worse.

Q: How are people getting higher RAM speeds than 1862 for v1 and 1996 for Mariko?
People are using the loader.kip customiser on the Github Project page. Do not expect a massive performance increase - expect 5% at most. IMPORTANT WARNING: Increasing RAM clocks above 1862 for v1 and 1996 v2 is DANGEROUS due to a significant chance of SD Card and NAND/EmuNAND corruption if the RAM is not stable for your unit and I would personally not recommend it.

Custom loader.kip Parameters & Documentation for RAM over 1862/1996 - ADVANCED USERS ONLY
You can customize you loader.kip which sets clocks and voltages by using the Github Project Page.
Note: RAM clocks above 1996 only offer a marginal performance increase. Don't expect to see more than a 5% increase in performance compared to 1996 in the best possible case.

Personally, I would avoid recommended avoid editing the loader due to the risk of corruption and the marginal performance increases. I know of numerous people who have corrupted their EmuNAND due to adjusting their loader.kip, even one person corrupted who stayed at 1996 but turned off auto adjust. I have not heard of anyone suffering corruption from the 1862 for v1 and 1996 for v2 RAM patch comparably, although it still is a possibility.

IMPORTANT WARNING:

Increasing RAM clocks above 1862 for v1 and 1996 v2 is DANGEROUS due to a significant chance of SD Card and NAND/EmuNAND corruption if the RAM OC is not stable. You need backups on hand as you can corrupt on boot or during console operation and lose data.

Even if someone has the same RAM as you, that doesn't mean their settings will be stable for you as every chip is different by binning/speedo. These settings here are only for a general idea and documentation. It is recommended to try lower clocks first before trying higher ones as higher clocks are less likely to be stable,

You can confirm your RAM is stable by playing games for hours on end and using MemTesterNX. Overvolting RAM is generally not recommended as it can lower the lifespan of the RAM chip.

Undervolting RAM is not recommended due to the risk of corruption and its minimal power use + easy to mess up performance

Variables to adjust:
Bold
= variables relating to RAM which adjust gives the largest performance increase

v1
Erista CPU Max Voltage in mV (only might need adjusting for 2091 unsafe CPU)
Erista RAM Max Clock kHz
EMC Vddq (Erista Only) & RAM Vdd2 Voltage in uV

Mariko
DRAM Timing
Mariko CPU Max Clock in kHz
Mariko CPU Boost Clock in kHz
Mariko CPU Max Voltage in mV
Mariko GPU Max Clock in kHz
Mariko RAM Max Clock in kHz
EMC Vddq (Mariko Only) Voltage in uV
EMC Vddq (Erista Only) & RAM Vdd2 Voltage in uV

v1 Stable by @Medel87
Erista RAM Max Clock kHz: 1968000
EMC Vddq (Erista Only) & RAM Vdd2 Voltage in uV: 1100000 (User found worse performance due to RAM undervolt)
Samsung RAM

Credits
CTCaer for Hekate-ipl bootloader, RE and hardware research
devkitPro for All-In-One homebrew toolchains
masagrator for ReverseNX-RT and info on BatteryChargeInfoFields in psm module
Nvidia for Tegra X1 Technical Reference Manual
RetroNX team for sys-clk
SciresM and Reswitched Team for the state-of-the-art Atmosphere CFW of Switch
Switchbrew wiki for Switch in-depth info
Switchroot for their modified L4T kernel and device tree
ZatchyCatGames for RE and original OC loader patches for Atmosphere[/SPOILER]

Attachments

• 1675783501572.png
    1675783501572.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 140
Last edited by ChanseyIsTheBest,

swutch

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
It's a great overclock package which unlocks the full potential of the switch hardware.

On my Switch 2397 MHz CPU clock is only a tiny bit faster than 2295 MHz.
But needs much more voltage. ;)

Last edited by swutch,
Reactions: guily6669

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally a OC suite thread:grog:

I can report here CPU Max voltage on Erista is indeed working, I set to 1.1V and it's exactly what I get at 1785mhz or above.

Really hope they can bring all the other options from Mariko to Erista soon.

Can't wait for StatusMonitor with customizable colours too:bow:

Medel87

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Finally a OC suite thread:grog:

I can report here CPU Max voltage on Erista is indeed working, I set to 1.1V and it's exactly what I get at 1785mhz or above.

Really hope they can bring all the other options from Mariko to Erista soon.

Can't wait for StatusMonitor with customizable colours too:bow:
And it's stable with this voltage? I never tried to change it

jnl1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I tried this out, looks like it is working. I got 18XX MHZ RAM on my Erista.

But you disabled the higher GPU frequencies than 460 MHZ when uncharged, is this correct? Can you do an uncapped version?

Medel87

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So I tried this out, looks like it is working. I got 18XX MHZ RAM on my Erista.

But you disabled the higher GPU frequencies than 460 MHZ when uncharged, is this correct? Can you do an uncapped version?
Erista have GPU capped to 460 at handheld

jnl1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Erista have GPU capped to 460 at handheld
Well there are uncapped versions available which I use since more than a year now without problems. That is why I have asked if this is also possible for this sys-clk version.

Medel87

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Well there are uncapped versions available which I use since more than a year now without problems. That is why I have asked if this is also possible for this sys-clk version.
Yes, I used it too, but it is normal sys-clk, not OC suite, I am waiting for an uncapped version of it too

ChanseyIsTheBest

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes, I used it too, but it is normal sys-clk, not OC suite, I am waiting for an uncapped version of it too
There's no uncapped version for 460 GPU+ available of Switch-OC-Suite and for good reason - it causes massive battery voltage drops leading to permanent battery damage. That's why when you use GPU frequencies higher than 460 on v1 Switches while unplugged the console will suddenly turn off. The battery is protecting itself and can't support the load. This is why the original sys-clk had the restriction in the first place. Also I didn't make Switch OC Suite I just made thread about it, KazushiMe made it.
Auto CPU oc sounds interesting. It just assumed your games in a loading screen or something?
The modified sys-clk can 'tell' if the system is loading something if CPU# Core 3 (the one dedicated exclusively to system functions) is being heavily stressed. It's the fourth CPU reading in Status Monitor.

Medel87

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
There's no uncapped version for 460 GPU+ available of Switch-OC-Suite and for good reason - it causes massive battery voltage drops leading to permanent battery damage.
1020/768 and 1785/460 have similar PD, the problem if you use high CPU with high GPU combined, or if use GPU frec higher than 768, I used this way with some games (1020/768) long time with knowledge, and no problems, no shutdowns, only battery drain 2x, like if you use 1785/460, the problem is people who try use all at max, it's impossible with erista

ChanseyIsTheBest

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
1020/768 and 1785/460 have similar PD, the problem if you use high CPU with high GPU combined, or if use GPU frec higher than 768, I used this way with some games (1020/768) long time with knowledge, and no problems, no shutdowns, only battery drain 2x, like if you use 1785/460, the problem is people who try use all at max, it's impossible with erista
The problem is the battery voltage dropping which doesn't happen at high CPU clocks in handheld. Go ask CTCaer who I checked all the stuff they said on RetroNX who did hardware research for overclocking including sys-clk.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country

The modified sys-clk can 'tell' if the system is loading something if CPU# Core 3 (the one dedicated exclusively to system functions) is being heavily stressed. It's the fourth CPU reading in Status Monitor.

That is sick. Gotta try this out. Load times are brutal these days on switch.

Reactions: ChanseyIsTheBest

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And it's stable with this voltage? I never tried to change it
So far I had 0 problems I left memtest for a few hours which put the 3 gaming CPU cores at 100% but only used 1785mhz max and usually used 1581mhz or less to play games...

It's probably not going to be good for "unsafe frequencies above 1785mhz but I can't say I care for them anyway...

Reactions: Medel87

Medel87

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So far I had 0 problems I left memtest for a few hours which put the 3 gaming CPU cores at 100% but only used 1785mhz max and usually used 1581mhz or less to play games...

It's probably not going to be good for "unsafe frequencies above 1785mhz but I can't say I care for them anyway...
How do you check voltage?

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you check voltage?
I used InfoNX, couldn't find it compiled anywhere and was tired of asking too for a way to check voltages...

I got it from the all-in-one 4IFIR mod from @Cooler3D :grog:

https://github.com/renA21/InfoNX/network/members (despite this being a link from renA21 github, I have 0 clue who made it at all though seems to come from masagrator but from his description I have no clue if it even had voltage function ;) )

2023012319381700-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.jpg

(It has other stuff which I hope doesn't change like power settings for the battery or something as it has 2 options you can press, you can check at the bottom of InfoNX in my screenshot).

ps: anyone with a github account I'd be pleased if you can contact KazushiMe if he can add InfoNX to OC suite which I think it's a cool addition (though I think he is planning to make his own voltage information)...

Attachments

• InfoNX-ovl.rar
    107 KB · Views: 81
Last edited by guily6669,
Reactions: Medel87

swutch

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Voltage values are already included in the Sys-clk-OC Overlay.
You can find them at the bottom under Miscellaneous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...