Hacking Acekard2i For DSi Released!

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
The Prince of Codes said:
Maikel Steneker said:
Since the DSi lacks slot 2 perhaps there may be a way to port .gba files to .nds files so you can play gba games in DS mode through the flashcart.
Certainly not. The DSi lacks the hardware needed to play GBA-roms.

You need to listen. I'm not talking about loading a GBA rom like a normal DS rom or an emulator, I'm talking about a full conversion of a .gba format file to an .nds file. Nintendo ports their games to other systems often(Remember Zelda, Zelda II, OOT, and MM on the Collectors edition and Super Marion 64, plus mant others), their method shouldn't be impossible to recreate.
You need the source code to port it to a different conole. Also all the examples you said were games with built in emulators, something i dont think the dsi can do (emualare gba games).

Diosoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo will just stick necessary firmware updates directly on the games as they do with Wii updates, as they know not everyone will be able to access the wi-fi connection.

But I am surprised they have the thing ready this fast.

I own't be getting a DSi unless some really good system-specific games are released. I have a Lite with Acekard 2.1, I don't need a mediocre camera and a screen that's only 12% larger.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Diosoth said:
Nintendo will just stick necessary firmware updates directly on the games as they do with Wii updates, as they know not everyone will be able to access the wi-fi connection.

But I am surprised they have the thing ready this fast.

I own't be getting a DSi unless some really good system-specific games are released. I have a Lite with Acekard 2.1, I don't need a mediocre camera and a screen that's only 12% larger.
Just to say, those cameras are nowhere near mediocre....they are way below......It'll be good enough for DSi screens, and nothing else! (just as early mobile phones with 0.3 and 1.3 mp cameras)..

And it has been said many times before, for some system to emulate other, it has to be multiple times more powerful to be able to emulate, which NDS isn't..
Simply from technical point of view, NDS can't purely emulate GBA and never will! And simple GBA to NDS port isn't possible, the whole game would have to be recoded, and that is the process..
I doubt that they'll be bothering with converting and recoding 2000+ GBA games...
frown.gif

Arno

Trophies
Website
www.nerdtablecomics.com
XP
Country
United States
Chanser said:
Arno said:
Maikel Steneker said:
Since the DSi lacks slot 2 perhaps there may be a way to port .gba files to .nds files so you can play gba games in DS mode through the flashcart.
Certainly not. The DSi lacks the hardware needed to play GBA-roms.

You have to be joking. The DS needs the GBA hardware to run. Thus it is able to play GBA roms.

As for my opinion, I'm just wondering when they'll make an Acekard RPGi...

Why would you want GBA support?
If you want GBA support get a GB Micro or something similar.

I have a micro, but I don't want to have to carry two separate systems with me. GBA support would be nice because there are so many good games I wouldn't want to lose just because of the lack of a GBA slot.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
k4sHmuNn1 said:
great, now nintendo will discover this and fix it in the US Dsi.
It's not about "fixing" it in the US DSi, when they find a way that flashcart works, they'll simply update the firmware and block it..

Go back and read some of Narins posts, he knows a bit more about this then us!

VISHI SO FISHI

Cricket My love!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
Toni Plutonij said:
k4sHmuNn1 said:
great, now nintendo will discover this and fix it in the US Dsi.
It's not about "fixing" it in the US DSi, when they find a way that flashcart works, they'll simply update the firmware and block it..

Go back and read some of Narins posts, he knows a bit more about this then us!

I really dont think The Acekard team would release this and have money loss on it, they must have done something or found something that Nintendo cant update through the firmware etc..

Because else there is not point!

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Acekard know what they are doing, They wouldn't release a product that could be easily blocked by a nintendo update.

I will be receiving one of these in a few days, so I'll tell you more then.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
dib said:
Not really, he's speculating the same as everybody else. There's not much to go on yet because it's too early.
Some I speculated and some I haven't, though I have contacted the AceKard team to learn the facts behind it. Though if the AceKard 2i does indeed contain flashable hardware, it would be possible to update the loader in the case Nintendo does find a fix for it. Also AceKard is an excellant team and I'm sure they put a lot of research and work in hacking the DSi, just remember, Nintendo is no push over and they will fight back tooth and nail. So its just a matter of time until we see Nintendo step up to flashcards on the DSi.

Though I own an AceKard 2 myself and its an amazing card. I reccomend all those with a Nintendo DS to go get one if you are looking into getting another flashcard. WHile it may not have all the features of the high budget cards, it does have a nice GUI and feature set for its price. If the AceKard team is indded successful in making a working and feasable flashcard for the DSi, I might go pick up one myself when they get released here in the US.

Though personally, its still a bit too early for me. AceKard has made the first move and Nintendo has yet to make theirs. So I'll see how the whole battle ends before I make any decisions. A 250-300$ DSi and a 50$ flashcart is no laughing matter. Its not money I would like to throw away.

So I will do my best to cut back on my speculations and in the future, if I do make any, I will forewarn you before hand. I'll keep you guys informed on any further improvement in the DSi flashcart scene. Team AceKard, keep up the good work and I wish you the best of luck.

baronluigi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Narin said:
Well, that doesn't really matter since the Nintendo DSi had an updatable firmware now which Nintendo can update over WiFi and DSi games. Meaning that even if a flashcart was made to work on a DSi, an update could be made to stop the flashcart from working anymore.

I think that this will be the same that happens in PSP...from now on, the NDS dumps will have ripped the update file, like in PSP XD

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whiternoise said:
Not much of a surprise, it was going to happen eventually.

Definitely. We all knew this was going to happen. A huge congrats to the Acekard team for being the first though! I bet Nintendo is pissed off about this. But I'm sure they knew this was going to happened eventually also.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Kirbydogs @ Kirbydogs: nvm