Valve officially announces Steam Deck, its handheld gaming PC releasing this December

steam deck.JPG

The Nintendo Switch (OLED model) wasn't the "Pro" upgrade many expected it to be with 4K support and new internals but before its announcement, other handhelds aimed to take the role of the "Switch Pro". The AYA NEO and GPD Win 3 are among those devices shooting for that nickname since they are able to run recent AAA PC games on the go, given that they are handheld gaming PCs. Their efforts and popularity, although niche, enticed companies like Lenovo and Tencent to make similar concepts or patents; indicating that these indie companies might have more serious competition in the future.

It seems like this will indeed be the case and these handheld gaming PC manufacturers will need to brace themselves as Valve is itself entering this market with a Valve-branded handheld gaming PC. This news was actually reported back in May and today we have the official confirmation. In a Steam post today, Valve revealed the Steam Deck, an AMD-based handheld gaming PC that is expected to begin shipping in December 2021 in select regions.

The software giant partnered with AMD to create a custom APU for the handheld that is said to be "optimized for handheld gaming". "It is a Zen 2 + RDNA 2 powerhouse, delivering more than enough performance to run the latest AAA games in a very efficient power envelope," reads the announcement.

It will run on SteamOS 3.0 (Arch-based) and there will be several models of the Steam Deck, which differ on the storage capacity, with the base model starting at $399. However, every model will include a microSD slot for additional storage capacity. For more details about the models available and their price, refer to the image below:

steam deck models.JPG

You can find additional specs details in the images below (click/tap to enlarge):

specs 1.JPG specs 2.JPG

And just like the AYA NEO and GPD Win 3, the Steam Deck will also have a dock which will be sold separately. This accessory will provide ports for external displays, wired networking, USB peripherals, and power. More details about the dock's pricing will be announced at a later date but you can find some specs details in the thumbnail below:

dock.png

specs dock.JPG

Valve says that the Steam Deck will start shipping this December to the United States, Canada, the European Union and the United Kingdom, with more regions coming in 2022. However, to be able to purchase one, you will need to book a paid reservation which will let you pre-order when the time comes. This reservation fee will also count towards the Steam Deck purchase price.

"The main reason for reservations is to ensure an orderly and fair ordering process for customers when Steam Deck inventory becomes available," writes Valve in the announcement FAQ. "The additional fee gives us a clearer signal of intent to purchase, which gives us better data to balance supply chain, inventory, and regional distribution leading up to launch."

Reservations for the Steam Deck will open Friday July 16th, 10am PDT. For more details about the new handheld gaming PC, head to the source link and official Steam Deck website linked below.

Are you interested in getting one?

:arrow: SOURCE
:arrow: Steam Deck Official Website

Raendor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1280x800p screen
1050 equivalent GPU
1.5 pounds weight
3 hour battery life
$550 for SSD version

Wtf. What a scam.

And 6-year old tegra chip with primitive os, little memory, drifting joysticks but oled screen for $350 is not a scam? Deck even with basic model simply kills for its price.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1280x800p screen
1050 equivalent GPU
1.5 pounds weight
3 hour battery life
$550 for SSD version

Wtf. What a scam.

And 6-year old tegra chip with primitive os, little memory, drifting joysticks but oled screen for $350 is not a scam? Deck even with basic model simply kills for its price.

I wouldn't say "kills" is an accurate term. I have a 1060 in my PC and the thing can barely run any modern AAA games at a decent framerate without having to lower and/or disable several things a considerable amount. So a 1050???? Not a chance this thing "kills", even for the price.

Reactions: Agahniim

SDA

Wanderin' Jelly Boy
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Aesthetically-wise, it awfully looks like a Game Gear, but with smaller buttons. Agh, now I think the OLED Nintendo Switch is not going to compete at all against this beast of a handheld.

AirbusX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
who the hell buy a Switch for specs anyway

99% of Switch owner most likely don't know it has a old ass TegraX1

I sure do! I am certainly not buying it for the boring ass Nintendo game library (aside Zelda which kicks ass).

With my line of work I want portability and the ability to play my games on the go.

I hacked the crap out of my switch for that, but now I won’t have to with this new system, my switch is going to be a nice looking paperweight (until BOTW2) comes out which I’m certainly buying.

Ampersound

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Finally some good competition for Nintendo.
I feel like a lot of people who already own a regular Switch will be getting this instead of the OLED model.

ZoNtendo

Trophies
XP
Country
I sure do! I am certainly not buying it for the boring ass Nintendo game library (aside Zelda which kicks ass).

With my line of work I want portability and the ability to play my games on the go.

I hacked the crap out of my switch for that, but now I won’t have to with this new system, my switch is going to be a nice looking paperweight (until BOTW2) comes out which I’m certainly buying.
Well I meant the performance specs not the portability gimmick, which is why the Steam console is more interesting
if you don't care about 1st party titles. (because price/perf of the Switch is pretty awful, even back in 2017)

Reactions: felix.200

GhostWolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not up on PC gaming as I don't have the patience for settings and drivers and compatibility lists and an that shit. But isn't the whole point the ability to upgrade your rig and install custom stuff for a better experience? How exactly does this console do that? It's neat for capturing what Steam can do at the moment, sure. But this'll be outdated by the time it gets out of the box, surely?

Well personally, the appeal of PC to me is the mouse + keyboard setup at a desk, with the ability to do all the things you want to do like running various programs, pulling up browsers, downloading this and that, gaming of course, I mean we all know what PC's are used for. That's the number one strength of PC's to me compared to consoles.

The fact that I can crack open my PC Case and look at the motherboard, the RAM, CPU and GPU inside, the PSU and all the cords and just remove something and replace it with something else is absolutely a bonus, that's definite bonus points, but I don't do this often at all, and it's certainly not the reason that I'm a PC guy. It's just a cherry on top if I'm honest, it's a juicy ass cherry but it's still just the cherry on top.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
The OLED is a scam. And? And it's still got a better screen than the Deck.

"Little memory" oled switch literally has the same 64gb emmc storage as the base $400 deck lol

What happens if your decks sticks drift? Can't simply replace that. Uh oh.

Vila_

Spanish code for Spanisher codecs
Trophies
Website
vilagamer999.github.io
XP
Country
Spain

"Little memory" oled switch literally has the same 64gb emmc storage as the base $400 deck lol

they can both be expanded through a micro sd card slot so I beg you stop crying

Reactions: AirbusX

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

:rofl2: Not the brightest bulb in the box, huh?

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Running your own software to do whatever is a bigger draw than upgrades for PC IMO, and you get control down to the choice of OS with this device. And while extremely underpowered compared to anything with a discrete GPU, AFAIK it should be juuust powerful enough to run 95% of all games at lowest settings at 25-30fps, which is terrible but its the price you pay for portability.
IGN said it was running Jedi Fallen Order at high settings just fine.

ombus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the prices are not really these at least on the 64 model.. nowdays games are 60+ easy.. so console + storage.. + dock if you want it..
just a remainder that not the most powerfull console gets the most love by people.. but the most fun.

pd: i will go play with my super duper...steam machine ? xD

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the prices are not really these at least on the 64 model.. nowdays games are 60+ easy.. so console + storage.. + dock if you want it..
just a remainder that not the most powerfull console gets the most love by people.. but the most fun.

pd: i will go play with my super duper...steam machine ? xD

All models have SD cards which play just fine for most people, and even the 64gb version has a m.2 slot if you're ambitious and want to open it.

Reactions: LightyKD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!