Valve officially announces Steam Deck, its handheld gaming PC releasing this December

steam deck.JPG

The Nintendo Switch (OLED model) wasn't the "Pro" upgrade many expected it to be with 4K support and new internals but before its announcement, other handhelds aimed to take the role of the "Switch Pro". The AYA NEO and GPD Win 3 are among those devices shooting for that nickname since they are able to run recent AAA PC games on the go, given that they are handheld gaming PCs. Their efforts and popularity, although niche, enticed companies like Lenovo and Tencent to make similar concepts or patents; indicating that these indie companies might have more serious competition in the future.

It seems like this will indeed be the case and these handheld gaming PC manufacturers will need to brace themselves as Valve is itself entering this market with a Valve-branded handheld gaming PC. This news was actually reported back in May and today we have the official confirmation. In a Steam post today, Valve revealed the Steam Deck, an AMD-based handheld gaming PC that is expected to begin shipping in December 2021 in select regions.

The software giant partnered with AMD to create a custom APU for the handheld that is said to be "optimized for handheld gaming". "It is a Zen 2 + RDNA 2 powerhouse, delivering more than enough performance to run the latest AAA games in a very efficient power envelope," reads the announcement.

It will run on SteamOS 3.0 (Arch-based) and there will be several models of the Steam Deck, which differ on the storage capacity, with the base model starting at $399. However, every model will include a microSD slot for additional storage capacity. For more details about the models available and their price, refer to the image below:

steam deck models.JPG

You can find additional specs details in the images below (click/tap to enlarge):

specs 1.JPG specs 2.JPG

And just like the AYA NEO and GPD Win 3, the Steam Deck will also have a dock which will be sold separately. This accessory will provide ports for external displays, wired networking, USB peripherals, and power. More details about the dock's pricing will be announced at a later date but you can find some specs details in the thumbnail below:

dock.png

specs dock.JPG

Valve says that the Steam Deck will start shipping this December to the United States, Canada, the European Union and the United Kingdom, with more regions coming in 2022. However, to be able to purchase one, you will need to book a paid reservation which will let you pre-order when the time comes. This reservation fee will also count towards the Steam Deck purchase price.

"The main reason for reservations is to ensure an orderly and fair ordering process for customers when Steam Deck inventory becomes available," writes Valve in the announcement FAQ. "The additional fee gives us a clearer signal of intent to purchase, which gives us better data to balance supply chain, inventory, and regional distribution leading up to launch."

Reservations for the Steam Deck will open Friday July 16th, 10am PDT. For more details about the new handheld gaming PC, head to the source link and official Steam Deck website linked below.

Are you interested in getting one?

:arrow: SOURCE
:arrow: Steam Deck Official Website

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess we're at the point in the conversation where the haters start coming in. Since I've started getting serious about PC gaming, I've always played at 720p High to Ultra. As long as I can get similar performance, I will be happy.

Reactions: Willgheminass

ombus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All models have SD cards which play just fine for most people, and even the 64gb version has a m.2 slot if you're ambitious and want to open it.
be it sd or m.2 .. they cost money.. so same add that to the already 400 if you want the cheapest + price of the dock if on wants it..

Raendor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't say "kills" is an accurate term. I have a 1060 in my PC and the thing can barely run any modern AAA games at a decent framerate without having to lower and/or disable several things a considerable amount. So a 1050???? Not a chance this thing "kills", even for the price.
It’s a far lower resolution than what you’d run 1060 at and a newer architecture. It kills switch performance-wise, which is by far not even in state to compete with anything that level.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah? So can Switch. I didn't point out they had "little memory" the other guy did.
Memory is just one of the many aspects and not the main one I mentioned. The main one is a freaking weak and ancient tegra chip from 2015 in a device sold for 350 in 2021. A chip defining the whole capability set. Everything else like “little memory” buffer you’ve clung to is just a side issue nevertheless.

Reactions: Kioku and felix.200

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
It’s a far lower resolution than what you’d run 1060 at and a newer architecture. It kills switch performance-wise, which is by far not even in state to compete with anything that level.

Memory is just one of the many aspects and not the main one I mentioned. The main one is a freaking weak and ancient tegra chip from 2015 in a device sold for 350 in 2021. A chip defining the whole capability set. Everything else like “little memory” buffer you’ve clung to is just a side issue nevertheless.

You can bring up switch comparisons all day. You're comparing a 5 year old device.

800p, 1050, 2.2ghz CPU for $550-600+ is a scam.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
be it sd or m.2 .. they cost money.. so same add that to the already 400 if you want the cheapest + price of the dock if on wants it..
"You get what you pay for" comes to mind.

You can bring up switch comparisons all day. You're comparing a 5 year old device.

800p, 1050, 2.2ghz CPU for $550-600+ is a scam.
Based on what metric? Your personal feelings are completely irrelevant here. I assume you have comparable specs to share for a much less price? If not? You're wasting time. For what the hardware is and does, it's pretty low in price. Especially compared to its competition. No, the Switch isn't its competition.

Last edited by Kioku,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have never used SteamOS (based on Linux, I know), but correct me if I am wrong, does this allow for installation of other software besides gaming stuff on SteamOS?
For once, I'd love to see RetroArch on it right from the get go. That would pretty much murder any other device out there, and imagine if it could run yuzu lol
I know RetroArch has a Steam port, but isn't that one limited to the selection of cores available?
Which cores can be played through RA Steam at the moment?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I have never used SteamOS (based on Linux, I know), but correct me if I am wrong, does this allow for installation of other software besides gaming stuff on SteamOS?
For once, I'd love to see RetroArch on it right from the get go. That would pretty much murder any other device out there, and imagine if it could run yuzu lol
I know RetroArch has a Steam port, but isn't that one limited to the selection of cores available?
Which cores can be played through RA Steam at the moment?
Yes, it has a full KDE based desktop that you can install apps on, and retroarch.

DbGt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Just preordered 1 of each version, in the end I will probably just buy 1.

Have to think about which version to get, hope more info comes out soon, especially about how easy or difficult its to upgrade the storage. Also I have to look up about this type of sdd availability and pricing in my region

Last edited by DbGt,

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well they cost money but the point is that you can get 512gb of storage for less than the top tier pricing, especially if you're not in the US.

I don't care about a glass screen - I'll put a glass protector on it.

Just preordered 1 of each version, in the end I will probably just buy 1.

Have to think about which version to get, hope more info comes out soon, especially about how easy or difficult its to upgrade the storage. Also I have to look up about this type of sdd availability and pricing in my region

Kind of a rude thing to do imo

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Kind of a rude thing to do imo

It's not like he stole a reservation from anyone. Valve is taking into account possible late orders. Plenty of people have reserved their systems even today.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Preordered the 256GB SSD version for my sis (659CAD$)
She wanted a ps5 but we are running in a scalper problem
Plus, all the games she wanted on it are on PC
So, I'll give her acces to my steam account and she'll play on a portable PC :)
We talked about it with her gamers friends about weither she should get a steam deck or a PS5 in the end
And she decided to get a Steam Deck in the end
Also, one of her friend also preordered the 820CAD$ one for himself :)

Steam should share its profit with me, I'm selling console for them :(

Reactions: Xzi

DbGt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
It's pushing back others' orders - there was a reason they limited it to one per person.

Well, I'm just buying 1.... and others who? Anyone can order it if they want it right now, also as I said the versions i don't buy in the end will just be sold to "others". Furthermore, the pool in Europe and US are different, here in Europe the expected availability its still Q1 2022, so no, no damage done to anyone.

Reactions: Xzi and Kioku

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I'm just buying 1.... and others who? Anyone can order it if they want it right now, also as I said the versions i don't buy in the end will just be sold to "others". Furthermore, the pool in Europe and US are different, here in Europe the expected availability its still Q1 2022, so no, no damage done to anyone.
really?
It's Q2 Here in Canada :O

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already +1