1. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I'm sure it'll release on the same day as Persona 5 Switch port, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Starfox Grand Prix, Mother 3 localization, and Pokemon Stars.

2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Malwarebytes Bootable Developer
    Developer

United States
    They already made the Switch Lite, and guess what? It doesn't "switch". Handheld only. So it's entirely possible to have docked only as an option, but pretty stupid if they do. The new one should just come with pro controller style joycons, similar to what Hori did.

3. kudofan

kudofan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I wish people would stop with this rumor.
    It's getting old.

4. CompSciOrBust

CompSciOrBust GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Too bad TX burned the SX Core vulnerability, although if the new model has a different SoC maybe the random timings will actually be random which would stop the Core from working anyway. Maybe Scires' hypothetical bootloader hack will work (the one he thought TX was using) if Nintendo doesn't add random timings in the firmware. If that is possible it will still fall on TX to make a solution because ReSwitched have taken a stance against developing their own mod chips.

Last edited by CompSciOrBust, Aug 25, 2020
  5. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    It's entirely possible that it never was just a rumor, they may very well have started working on this revision a solid year or two ago and run into multiple problems with the design where size constraints/thermals/battery life/etc were concerned.

Dartz150, KingVamp and Silent_Gunner like this.
  6. x149te

x149te Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Russia
    Even for PS5 and Xbox SeX already anounced 30fps games...

Dartz150 and gameboy like this.
  7. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner The Edge of the Soul

United States
    And then you have the pandemic and all of the shit that's caused.

As for thermals though, would it really cost companies that much to just use thermal grizzly and conductonaut for their thermal solutions?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

8. ombus

ombus GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Just keep making games for my old normal console and i will be happy... and lets wait like... 5 more years to make another console..

9. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    You're right, the Switch is a great companion device. I would much rather have the Switch with much more original titles. It doesn't need to be a port machine or to keep trying to get games that are also available on competing platforms. What's the point of a Switch if it tries to be like everything else? Kinda like Microsoft's current issue of "no exclusives". I wish things were like the Wii days. The Wii actually received competent PS/360 ports along with a LOT of original games that leveraged it's platform.

Darkworld92, Dartz150 and Xzi like this.
  10. xatzimi

xatzimi Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Tbh I really like my Switch Lite, having a TV only switch could be great too. Now, if only those two connected in a way to roughly equate the mode switching...

usernamecharlie and LightyKD like this.
  11. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    -Gesture support on new joy-cons.

You THOUGHT following the prior rumor that BotW2 was the launch exclusive for this upgraded switch. Turns out it's Skyward Sword.

12. djnate27

djnate27 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Couldn’t the same be said about the Switch Lite? It can’t actually ‘switch’ either.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Remind me again, why am I modding my Switch?

13. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    WiiU3 or Wii4. When Nintendo said they merged 3ds and WiiU game development into 1 I was hoping they werent just going to make ports of old games that didnt sell well on WiiU and Wii as Switch Games....... Turns out they did.

IncredulousP and Rail Fighter like this.
  14. Moon164

Moon164 GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    Do you remember how the Game Boy lasted from 1989 to 2003 even with a black and green screen and still received games until 2001 in the sixth generation of consoles? and not to mention that even Game Boy Color games like Toy Story 2 or Pokémon Gold/Silver that came in 2000 were compatible with it.

Or how did the NES last from 1985 to 2003 in full sixth generation even though it was just an 8-bit console from the 80s?, Nintendo itself continues to make games for him until 1994 and that was when the PS1 and Saturn were already knocking on the door.

I always wondered why consoles can't last that long nowadays, I think the last one that we saw last that long was the Playstation 2 that lasted from 2000 to 2013 and received games until 2013, it even received a version of Netflix here in Brazil and that was active until 2011.

15. Lodad

Lodad GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Honestly, they should just resurrect the Wii U style as a non-portable handheld with a stronger dedicated base station and take a page out of the PS4 Pro book and have it play older games and let new ones benefit from a little bit beefier upscaled graphics capabilities.

Also I want a higher resolution screen on the handheld and get some good VR with 6DOF. Joy Cons would be amazing for VR if the shoulder button slide-on things had a wrap-around for your hand so you could use each in one hand more easily.

Finally, I'd like to see a consolidated classic gaming / virtual console experience with some old handheld games added into the mix instead of having just two separate apps for NES and SNES. The draw could be huge if it was in one suite with a single interface and an influx of quality games from more consoles and handhelds. Couple that with the VR idea and recreate your childhood living room to play some Mario on a giant box TV while you sit on shag carpet and a Mii of your mom brings you pizza bagels and a root beer (alternately, play some DS / game boy games on a long VR car ride).

IncredulousP and usernamecharlie like this.
  16. RichardTheKing

RichardTheKing Wolf Blass Shiraz Drinker

Australia
    I'd rather have a TV console with a controller similar to the Wii U Pro Controller - that is to say, aligned sticks, and maybe also how it bows into the middle and stuff; I love holding my Wii U Pro, so comfortable.
    Also, maybe change the damn UI to something more akin to the 3DS - neatly-arranged grid of boxes, with the ability to zoom in and out to see varying number of boxes. Folders would be nice, as would different background themes (I've bought a few 3DS themes in my life, before using homebrew for ones made by fans - Xenoblade 2 theme, Professor Layton theme, Pokemon through the ages theme, etc.).

17. TomSwitch

TomSwitch GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Nintendo strength has always been customer loyalty and one way they achieve that is to be loyal to their existing customers. You can be sure to be first class for a longer time as far as Nintendo platform is concerned without buying new machine.

18. RichardTheKing

RichardTheKing Wolf Blass Shiraz Drinker

Australia
    NES and SNES? Meh; I want to experience Stadium, Stadium 2, and some other 64 titles. I dunno if this could work, but seeing as how Pokemon RBY/GSC are on the 3DS Virtual Console, maybe make it possible to link those VC titles to Stadium/Stadium 2?

19. Rail Fighter

Rail Fighter GBAtemp Fan

Angola
    A new way of playing Wii U games, yay.

20. Lodad

Lodad GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yup, I mentioned more handhelds and consoles. Would love to see gamecube, I think emulation has been done on Shield tablets in... China? I don't remember where so if a new hardware revision was more powerful I'd like to see something happen.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - [UPDATE], upgraded, Nintendo