The Nintendo Switch 2 has been delayed to 2025, according to reports

switch-2.jpg

The Nintendo Switch has had a dominant life as a hybrid console-handheld, enjoying success since its launch in 2017. However, late last year heard some rumblings that Nintendo was preparing to move onward to a successor to the Nintendo Switch. According to Video Games Chronicle, Eurogamer, and other insider sources, development kits for a "Switch 2" had already been sent out to third-party devs, and rumors were claiming that the system would launch sometime in 2024.

Now, things have changed. While Nintendo was planning to launch the Switch 2 around late 2024, those same insider sources claim that due to some internal delays, the next-gen Nintendo console is targeting a Q1 2025 launch--similar to the original Switch, which launched in March 2017. VGC's sources state that the Switch 2 still plans on being a hybrid system, offering portable functionality, while Eurogamer corroborates VGC's statements, while additionally adding that the reasoning is so that the Switch 2 features as many launch titles as possible.

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Astral Chain 2 and Metroid Prime 4 would get me interested though. I already know MP4 will be on either Switch 1 or 2 or both. Give me Astral Chain and some more good exclusives.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
to be completly honest, i dont even care for "teh switch 2".
Thanks for letting us know. Now we can live at peace once again, you don't know how worried I was. Every day I was like: "Man, will Metoroid0 like the Switch 2?" and I couldn't sleep sometimes thinking over and over that question.
But now that I know you don't even care, I can finally rest in peace.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Honestly, I'd love to see a distinction between "home console" and "handheld" return, like in the old days; the handheld would be compact, unlike the Switch, while the home console would be able to include more powerful components in a larger box.

In my view, the Switch has always been a home console first and foremost, as its portable mode suffers greatly in terms of visual and audio quality (and can't fit in a pocket, unlike the DS Lite and 3DS line) - yet the docked mode is disadvantaged by having to fit its components into a semi-portable rectangle.
It does an admirable job for what it is, but I can't help but wonder how a docked-only Switch (with a larger box, and more room for more powerful components and cooling) would fare.

By merging the two different types of console together, it just resulted in something worse - it's not as portable as the DS Lite or 3DS, and why bother playing portably when it performs better hooked up to a TV?
Essentially, it got rid of portable gaming altogether, which is truly unfortunate.

Blue Sun

Trophies
Website
bluesunstudios.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I'd love to see a distinction between "home console" and "handheld" return, like in the old days; the handheld would be compact, unlike the Switch, while the home console would be able to include more powerful components in a larger box.

In my view, the Switch has always been a home console first and foremost, as its portable mode suffers greatly in terms of visual and audio quality (and can't fit in a pocket, unlike the DS Lite and 3DS line) - yet the docked mode is disadvantaged by having to fit its components into a semi-portable rectangle.
It does an admirable job for what it is, but I can't help but wonder how a docked-only Switch (with a larger box, and more room for more powerful components and cooling) would fare.

By merging the two different types of console together, it just resulted in something worse - it's not as portable as the DS Lite or 3DS, and why bother playing portably when it performs better hooked up to a TV?
Essentially, it got rid of portable gaming altogether, which is truly unfortunate.
I feel like this is just the end result of Nintendo always feeling the need to reinvent the wheel to compete with PlayStation and Microsoft after their loss during the Nintendo Gamecube v.s. PlayStation 2 v.s. Xbox war, especially after their Nitnendo DS became their single most successful hardware to date which they touted as appealing to a "great blue ocean of general consumers". They learned the wrong lesson from their loss against PlayStation and feel that if they can't outdo their opponents with better hardware then they'll have to do it with gimmicks and flashy "bells and whistles" sorts of "dancing bear" entertainment.

Going back to a split would also split their profits into handheld v.s. console so that people who would ordinarily only buy one or the other would, perhaps in their eyes, hurt the other's sales (those who only play POKéMON on handhelds v.s. those who only play Zelda on consoles, etc.), so they want to consolidate the best of both worlds onto a singular system so to speak, or at least that is how I see the issue.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Thanks for letting us know. Now we can live at peace once again, you don't know how worried I was. Every day I was like: "Man, will Metoroid0 like the Switch 2?" and I couldn't sleep sometimes thinking over and over that question.
But now that I know you don't even care, I can finally rest in peace.
i wasnt talking to you tho.

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
They're probably working on the console's "security" before launching (only to be broken weeks later) lol. But seriously, I'll say what I think: Steam Deck happened... yes, I know that the fact itself wasn't something extraordinary (but sales were high). However, the Steam deck made the market create several clones of it, and most of them have sold well. So the Switch, which was the only way to decently play a somewhat modern portable video game, lost that aspect a long time ago. (in fact, portable consoles that even run games from the Switch itself, via emulation)

In my opinion, launching a console that is "a little bit better" than its predecessor might not work anymore, and I think that one of the reasons for the delay is this... not the only one, but one of the reasons

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Nintendo couldn't possibly support two systems at once anymore and had to merge their portable and console systems to be able to (barely) keep up. There's no way they're coming back to seperate systems.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Now I I know why the Switch 2 was delayed....that fucker is finished...but some egghead at Nintendo probably had the bright idea to quash all homebrew and...grey area homebrew so when it comes out there won't be any CFW for it.

I was so excited for the switch 2 to be released. Aw man.

Don't give Nintendo your money. Buy a steam deck.

Hopefully it flops and Nintendo becomes the new Sega

Don't count on it. Too many knob polishing fans who are more than happy to pay Nintendo's lawyer's salary.

Last edited by stanleyopar2000,
  • Haha
Reactions: Bladexdsl

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will have I9 15th gen mobile + RTX 5090 mobile 32GB of the fastest LPDDR5 and 16GB of the fastest GDDR6X and 2KG of cooler and 5KG of Salt batteries :grog: :rofl2:
:toot:

For me Nintendo switch2 will be SteamDeck 2 when it arrives or a next gen Asus Rog Ally or next gen Lenovo Legion Go...

Much better visuals, probably more choices of screen, analog triggers, proper man sized joysticks, cheaper games, free online with better services than Nintendo paid one and on top of it all it's hacked from day 1 since they are PC handhelds, just need to be careful with gaynuvo (Denuvo).

MightySashiman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Nintendo switch2 will be SteamDeck 2
Definitively not. There is much more than raw performance when it comes to comparing the switch to the steamdeck. the first is an old school game console by a company that refuses to see the device as a multimedia tool in the age of the internet and that will be full of DRM. The second is a full fledged computer that is meant to be tweaked and hacked.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitively not. There is much more than raw performance when it comes to comparing the switch to the steamdeck. the first is an old school game console by a company that refuses to see the device as a multimedia tool in the age of the internet and that will be full of DRM. The second is a full fledged computer that is meant to be tweaked and hacked.
I meant for me Switch 2 will be waiting for a SteamDeck 2 Oled or a new Asus ROG ally or new Lenovo Legion go with next gen hardware...

I don't even like 99% of nintendo games, the fact that has no analog triggers pisses me off or I could be playing snowrunner in the bed and there isn't much multiplatform games that I like and if Nintendo really doesn't bring a lot of PC/Playstation/Xbox latest games it's definitely a NO GO for me cause I won't be playing Mario, Pokemons and so on...
lol, no
The Steam Deck is actually worth owning
I really wanted one early one but at this point in time it's struggling a lot specially with latest UE5 based games and will get worse soon...

Hope they move on to 32GB soon like Onexplayer with it's full 8740U power with 32GB LPDDR5X 7500mhz but with next gen hardware and at much better prices like Valve, Asus and Lenovo can do.

Also at least Asus ROG ALLY and Lenovo Legion GO are the only ever made modern handhelds that are in any big store locally here that is just pick up and bring home while GPD, OneXplayer and all the other known are nowehere to be seen and crazy expensive for EU. Steamdeck is also easy buying trough steam with no more added taxes...

Also I see good used deals in my country like 1 month after someone is already selling for 200€ less in mint conditions some with extras and full warranty of 2 years still there...

Last edited by guily6669,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto