Nintendo Switch successor reportedly demoed to developers during Gamescom

nintendo-switch.jpg

Yet another Nintendo Switch 2 rumour is circulating. After reports of a 2024 launch and dev kits being sent to third-parties, Eurogamer has shared that Nintendo apparently showcased the handheld's successor to developers during Gamescom; during which the company demoed a "souped up version" The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. However, this was for the purpose of a tech demo, without any confirmation that the game will be re-released.

This report was corroborated by Video Games Chronicle (VGC)'s own sources. VGC's own report further mentions that another title was demoed on the system: Epic’s The Matrix Awakens Unreal Engine 5 tech demo which was used to showcase the PS5's and Xbox Series X's power in 2021.

VGC reports that the demo apparently leverages Nvidia’s DLSS upscaling technology, with advanced ray tracing enabled and visuals "comparable to Sony‘s and Microsoft’s current-gen consoles". However, the outlet also mentions that this does not mean that the Switch's successor will be as powerful as the PS5 or Xbox Series X; but Nintendo has hinted at the potential that it will utilise upscaling technology with its past patents.

Thanks to @Vine-gar for the tip and you can head to their original discussion thread here.

:arrow: SOURCE 1, SOURCE 2

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
during which the company demoed a "souped up version" The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
"This cell shaded character now has... 5 tones of shading!"

but Nintendo has hinted at the potential that it will utilise upscaling technology with its past patents
Yeah, it's been months since Ubisoft and Activision and other developers said that next Nintendo console will be as powerful as PS4.

Last edited by JuanMena,

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The demo is impressive but I feel a bit frustrated by the top comments on the video not mentionning how the faces and bodies actually look so, so stiff. If it weren't for that I would have noticed Keanu Reeves was in 3D just because his 3D model looks younger.

i
just bought
the fucking switch
I hope you'll enjoy it and get some offer from Gamestop or something if you're not too attached to it, but also we've known for at least last year that the rumors about a successor to the switch were pretty serious

Reactions: Vorde and felix.200

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh please, no more Super Switch rumors. IT GETS HERE WHEN IT GETS HERE!!
It's not exactly a "rumor" any more once they're demoing it. It'll be announced either fall or winter of this year and be out probably summer next year. Seven years is a long lifespan for a system that was already a generation and a half behind at launch.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
which the company demoed a "souped up version" The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. However, this was for the purpose of a tech demo, without any confirmation that the game will be re-released.

This report was corroborated by Video Games Chronicle (VGC)'s own sources. VGC's own report further mentions that another title was demoed on the system: Epic’s The Matrix Awakens Unreal Engine 5 tech demo which was used to showcase the PS5's and Xbox Series X's power in 2021.

VGC reports that the demo apparently leverages Nvidia’s DLSS upscaling technology, with advanced ray tracing enabled and visuals "comparable to Sony‘s and Microsoft’s current-gen consoles". However, the outlet also mentions that this does not mean that the Switch's successor will be as powerful as the PS5 or Xbox Series X; but Nintendo has hinted at the potential that it will utilise upscaling technology with its past patents.

YES, be happy to pay for all the games again. But no, not going to, Switch games better just work on Switch 2 with PS5 like visual with free updates.

• Haha
Reactions: Y0shII and ZER-O

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not exactly a "rumor" any more once they're demoing it. It'll be announced either fall or winter of this year and be out probably summer next year. Seven years is a long lifespan for a system that was already a generation and a half behind at launch.
Most game consoles release in the fall, usually November, to get a boost in holiday sales and with the American fiscal year beginning in October.
The original Switch is an outlier, having been released in March, but that may have been a financial strategy since the fiscal year for Japan starts in April.
I'd expect a November 2024 release date if not March 2025

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Most game consoles release in the fall, usually November, to get a boost in holiday sales and with the American fiscal year beginning in October.
The original Switch is an outlier, having been released in March, but that may have been a financial strategy since the fiscal year for Japan starts in April.
I'd expect a November 2024 release date if not March 2025
If I were to bet, Switch 2 will be an outlier in that regard as well. Nintendo has no competition in the portable console space, and they're the only one of the three using Nvidia hardware. They can launch whenever they want.

almmiron

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It makes sense nintendo continue with nvidia, they made awesome progress regarding consumption/performance in their chips, wich is a good thing for portable devices. The backwards compatibility with nswitch is problably happening too, after wall, sales are going great since launch.

I Hope BC it's like xbox/playstation with patches to improve visuals/framerate if ogSwitch game is running.

Kitocco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh boy, can't wait to be expected to buy the same games that just released again because everyone decided to fall for Jim Ryan's "why would ANYBODY play this???" (except when we poorly yoink an open-source emulator after trying to kill emulators in the past, and refuse to fix PS2 games on PS5 for dog knows how long) & Dom Mattrick's "You're REALLY backwards" psyops

Even though I guaran-DAMN-tee you the PS5 nor XSX/S consoles would not have nearly as much appeal if they didn't have backwards compatibility, especially launching in a time when everything's shiz was fudged.

Reactions: SMNFXCN

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What is written:
"They showcased Botw on it as a tech demo"?
What I read:
"They already started porting the game on it, why not re-release it on a new console and make more money for less work"

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We already know how state of the art looks like on gaming laptop. Even if Nvidia can one up AMD and beat Z1 extreme PS5 level is still a stretch, after all those gaming laptop with PS5 like visuals are running at 130W (Switch 2 won't run at this power due to size constrain) and back to 720p like visual when in handheld mode.

Z1 extreme like visual is enough if they could do it at a price that is lower than 699

They better have exclusive game ready to impress or Switch library that runs very much better or it is dead in the water.

Last edited by TomSwitch,

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Performance aside, perhaps my main desire for this thing is for it to actually have a God-damn interface. The Switch's UI was such a fucking turd, and its system software was such a massive downgrade from the Wii U's.

What is written:
"They showcased Botw on it as a tech demo"?
What I read:
"They already started porting the game on it, why not re-release it on a new console and make more money for less work"

Knowing Nintendo, I wouldn't put it past them to do that. I'll be annoyed if they do it nonetheless, though.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Performance aside, perhaps my main desire for this thing is for it to actually have a God-damn interface. The Switch's UI was such a fucking turd, and its system software was such a massive downgrade from the Wii U's.
I prefer something like that over something that would be WAAAAAY too complicated to use

Reactions: dudeguy2022

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto