New report claims the Switch's successor will launch next year, with third-party developers in possession of dev kits

download (1).jpeg

The rumour mill continues around the successor to the Switch, but is this one the one? According to Video Games Chronicle, and corroborated by Eurogamer, Nintendo is likely to release its next-gen hardware in the second half of 2024. VGC's sources, which include "multiple people with knowledge of Nintendo's next-gen console plans", claim that the device will be useable in handheld mode and support physical cartridges like the Switch. However, backwards compatibility remains unclear.

The next-gen hardware will also apparently sport an LCD display, instead of an OLED one, in order to keep costs low while packing higher storage for higher fidelity games. Dev kits of the system are also with key partners, according to the report.

Of course, take this report with a grain of salt as these are unofficial news and rumours around a Switch Pro or Switch 2 have been around for a while. But eventually, we will get a successor to the Switch in one form or another; and whether it will replicate the latter's success remains to be seen.

:arrow: SOURCE

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Engineers are not told “exactly what to do” by management, they work with a vague idea of what they’re making and they progressively approach that target through an extensive process of design and problem solving. Thinking otherwise is, simply put, silly. No amount of pencil pushing makes a working prototype or release candidate materialise. Even once a design is put on paper, the retail product varies wildly compared to the starting point. We know this because it effectively always does compared to patent drawings. I don’t know why you insist on continuing this conversation, it’s okay if you disagree, I don’t care, and I doubt anyone else does.
"What" normally is what management is paid for. "How" is what engineers are paid for. The idea part marketing plays a fairly big part, engineers are the dream crusher, quite often agree reluctantly after lots of pressure to do anything out of the ordinary. An architect or a architecture team help to merge dream and reality and is often the one working with marketing and convincing/pushing the engineers to agree to stretched goals. A small percentage of the people involved have some passion about the final product and may push for their pet idea. Patent filing is another process that may or may not tied to projects. Design patents are regularly tied to projects but they are mostly mechanical in nature. Utility patents are tied to KPI and depends on pressure to meet the KPI the technical community is pressured/incentivized to present ideas for patent filing. Management set the themes and goals for patents, anything outside of it has very low chance of getting filed.

Some company have research for research sake group. Some are driven by demand and some are not. The not driven by demand group are the ones that give the world most of the innovations but seldom benefit the company that foot the bill.

Engineers only have a limited influence on what they are tasked to do. Management don't always assign the best person to the job ( actually most of the time they don't ). Any technical spec having a chance to come into the mind of management depends on whether it comes to them from the people they spoke to and they are the one who choose where and if any technical input were to come to them. Only a very small fraction of management has technical background and fewer bring their technical ideas with them to the job. ( those that bring their pet idea quite often turns out to be bad anyway )
Boring management is the only way to stability. Nothing that exciting but the boat wont suddenly sink.

Last edited by TomSwitch,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
"What" normally is what management is paid for. "How" is what engineers are paid for. The idea part marketing plays a fairly big part, engineers are the dream crusher, quite often agree reluctantly after lots of pressure to do anything out of the ordinary. An architect or a architecture team help to merge dream and reality and is often the one working with marketing and convincing/pushing the engineers to agree to stretched goals. A small percentage of the people involved have some passion about the final product and may push for their pet idea. Patent filing is another process that may or may not tied to projects. Design patents are regularly tied to projects but they are mostly mechanical in nature. Utility patents are tied to KPI and depends on pressure to meet the KPI the technical community is pressured/incentivized to present ideas for patent filing. Management set the themes and goals for patents, anything outside of it has very low chance of getting filed.

Some company have research for research sake group. Some are driven by demand and some are not. The not driven by demand group are the ones that give the world most of the innovations but seldom benefit the company that foot the bill.

Engineers only have a limited influence on what they are tasked to do. Management don't always assign the best person to the job ( actually most of the time they don't ). Any technical spec having a chance to come into the mind of management depends on whether it comes to them from the people they spoke to and they are the one who choose where and if any technical input were to come to them.
It’s almost as if this was some kind of nuanced discussion and a typical corporation had multiple departments responsible for very different things. For every demand made by management that cannot be fulfilled by engineering staff because it’s infeasible to implement there’s an engineer’s dream that gets rejected by management because it’s not marketable or profitable enough. In all honesty, the conversation has become pretty stale.

The Commodore anecdote is especially funny considering the VIC-20, and its follow-up the Commodore 64 were extremely successful computers that effectively ruled the computing landscape. Things *started* going sideways when management got involved - I recently listened to an interesting interview with Bil Herd where he explained why the Commodore 128’s display modes are such a hodgepodge. The initial prototype worked brilliantly on a standard Motorola 6848, but since Commodore liked making their own silicon, he was approached by management. They proposed a chip made in-house, and Bil asked one question - is it compatible with the 6848. He was told that it was. It was not. More specifically, it did not include an interrupt to inform the rest of the system when it was done doing its job, so instead, the system had to be set up to predict when the screen was ready by periodically asking the chip if its operations were complete. This led to an inside joke in the department - whenever that person entered the room, the engineers would randomly pick up their phones even though they weren’t ringing. Eventually the guy got really annoyed and asked why they’re doing that. They were quick to explain.

“Well sir, we can always pick up the receiver to check if there’s an inbound call, so why wait for it to ring?”

Hearty chuckle, if you know how a Commodore 128 works. There’s a myriad of reasons why Apple survived and Commodore did not. Two big ones are a generous cash injection from Microsoft, as they were on the verge of bankruptcy at one point, the second was a little global sensation called the iPod. The design was spearheaded by Tony Fadell, who was recruited primarily based on his vision of “a better MP3 player”. The rest is history, that one product turned the company around. Apple wanted to get into the audio business and Fadell had an idea, it’s as simple as that sometimes. The company would not exist in the same capacity as it does right now if not for the iPod - there wouldn’t be an iTunes, there probably wouldn’t be an iPhone, which is a direct evolution of the iPod, no iPad, no Apple Silicon. In fact, more likely than not, they’d be out of business by now.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hearty chuckle, if you know how a Commodore 128 works. There’s a myriad of reasons why Apple survived and Commodore did not. Two big ones are a generous cash injection from Microsoft, as they were on the verge of bankruptcy at one point, the second was the global sensation called the iPod, the design of which was spearheaded by Tony Fadell, who was hired primarily based on his vision of “a better MP3 player”. The rest is history, that one product turned the company around. Apple wanted to get into the audio business and Fadell had an idea, it’s as simple as that sometimes.
Good idea is a dime a dozen. A broken clock is absolutely accurate twice a day. Idea about a music player like iPod before iPod there is no doubt many many people had it. In the end I have no doubt about crediting Steve Jobs for iPod

I am a idea person and nothing makes me happier than seeing my idea comes alive. I hold no bitterness seeing my great idea some decades ago being used by others today. I have wised up long ago.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Good idea is a dime a dozen. A broken clock is absolutely accurate twice a day. Idea about a music player like iPod before iPod there is no doubt many many people had it. In the end I have no doubt about crediting Steve Jobs for iPod
You’re right - there were many, many MP3 players before the iPod. They were also all kind of crap. My point is, you need the right person in the right position at the right time. Fadell went from an independent contractor to Vice President of the iPod division, I’m going to assume that the promotion was well-deserved. The man is known as “the father of the iPod” for a reason, so he deserves credit. For the record, after the roaring success of the iPod, he oversaw the first three generations of the iPhone, and once he split away from Apple, he founded NEST, the thermostat company later acquired by Google. Say what you will about Jobs, but a brilliant engineer deserves some recognition too.

Reactions: tabzer

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You’re right - there were many, many MP3 players before the iPod. They were also all kind of crap. My point is, you need the right person in the right position at the right time. Fadell went from an independent contractor to Vice President of the iPod division, I’m going to assume that the promotion was well-deserved. The man is known as “the father of the iPod” for a reason, so he deserves credit. For the record, after the roaring success of the iPod, he oversaw the first three generations of the iPhone, and once he split away from Apple, he founded NEST, the thermostat company later acquired by Google. Say what you will about Jobs, but a brilliant engineer deserves some recognition too.
No doubt about credit for other than Steve Jobs. Just saying idea is overrated sometimes.

Everyone need luck to succeed. Everyone also need more than luck to succeed. It's always true the successful ones are the lucky ones who have the other required attributes to qualify. One of them surely is having the right idea.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No doubt about credit for other than Steve Jobs. Just saying idea is overrated sometimes.
An idea is the starting point of all creation. I’m not saying that they’re all good, that’d be silly. Making a good product is alway preceded by sifting through endless piles of concepts until there’s a Eureka moment in the room. Like I said earlier, the sandbox needs to have boundaries, but it shouldn’t restrict creativity to a detrimental degree. A good idea nurtured can launch a company into the stratosphere, a bad idea, with nobody there to put a stop to it, can absolutely nosedive it into the ground. Again, nuanced discussion. Even brilliant engineers sometimes end up creating a terrible product - the father of the Game Boy is also the father of the Virtual Boy. The ambition and drive were there, the technology just wasn’t fully baked. VR in general is a good case study - it took a good 30 years before it became what it is now, and some would still argue it’s not quite ready for prime time.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Nintendo has been moving in the direction of supporting a single console at a time. I'm not sure how well it would be received for children who get the "inferior version" of the switch. People like the "the way it's meant to be played" feeling. They probably don't want a schism in their base. I don't know how they would prioritize game development to be "equally" as playable on two different devices.

Of course I would have bought the superior Switch, if that was presented as an option, but it seems Nintendo just wants to be comfortable.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has been moving in the direction of supporting a single console at a time. I'm not sure how well it would be received for children who get the "inferior version" of the switch. People like the "the way it's meant to be played" feeling. They probably don't want a schism in their base. I don't know how they would prioritize game development to be "equally" as playable on two different devices.

Of course I would have bought the superior Switch, if that was presented as an option, but it seems Nintendo just wants to be comfortable.
You mean having Switch 2 game being an enhanced version of the game or just having a Switch 2 making the experience nicer for the same game? I have my doubts about enhanced version as Nintendo seldom to that. Having the newer model being nicer is what Nintendo always do. There is no doubt that the OLED version has a nicer screen and there is no problem there and people who feel sour about not having that OLED screen is just too bad.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You mean having Switch 2 game being an enhanced version of the game or just having a Switch 2 making the experience nicer for the same game? I have my doubts about enhanced version as Nintendo seldom to that. Having the newer model being nicer is what Nintendo always do. There is no doubt that the OLED version has a nicer screen and there is no problem there and people who feel sour about not having that OLED screen is just too bad.

Oh I'm not talking about Switch 2, sorry. I was talking about the idea of Nintendo simultaneously release two Switches at the same time, where games play better on one.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
I saw comicbook website (By TYLER FISCHER - August 7, 2023 07:40 am EDT) release info about it:

Nintendo has decided to give it a bit of extra juice or it's factoring in inflation, because the report claims the next Nintendo console will cost $399.99, which is $100 more than the Xbox Series S and the same price as all-digital PS5. In other words, if this is true, then Nintendo will no longer have the budget console on the market.

Wait and see what happen go in next year.

I just want to see next Nintendo Switch 2 or Pro (not sure which) cube size (no hybrid system) without screen and without battery that I like to plug in TV to play game on it. I prefer old school way since NES to Wii / Wii U. I not sure if Nintendo planned make new cube system size without screen and without battery design for to plug in TV anytime in near future if people like or not like it.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by console,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Nintendo did this all the time. OLED is better and so be it

I'm talking about something like PS4 and a beefier version of PS4Pro came out at the same time (or at least announced together) to give players the option to play at higher resolution/frame rate/etc.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm talking about something like PS4 and a beefier version of PS4Pro came out at the same time (or at least announced together) to give players the option to play at higher resolution/frame rate/etc.
Start counting the days already. It's coming no doubt about it. Switch 2 will be that device that plays Switch games better, whether will there be any Switch 2 exclusive is the question and whether all Switch game can run on Switch 2 is still in doubt. I have no doubt totk will run better on Switch 2. Maybe the cartridge format may change and Nintendo do the unthinkable thing of screwing those who bought hard copy of Switch games but that would mean Switch 2 exclusive games are there.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Start counting the days already. It's coming no doubt about it. Switch 2 will be that device that plays Switch games better, whether will there be any Switch 2 exclusive is the question and whether all Switch game can run on Switch 2 is still in doubt. I have no doubt totk will run better on Switch 2. Maybe the cartridge format may change and Nintendo do the unthinkable thing of screwing those who bought hard copy of Switch games but that would mean Switch 2 exclusive games are there.

I do consider those aspects, but It's unrelated to my point about Nintendo wanting to "keep everyone together" and not causing their own fanbase to cannibalize each other--by releasing an inferior switch and a superior switch at the same time. I think something @Foxi4 said that made me think about it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I do consider those aspects, but It's unrelated to my point about Nintendo wanting to "keep everyone together" and not causing their own fanbase to cannibalize each other--by releasing an inferior switch and a superior switch at the same time. I think something @Foxi4 said that made me think about it.
In all fairness, Nintendo is the only company in recent history that split the base like that (DS to DSi, 3DS to New 3DS), and I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing at all. People whinge when this happens because they need to upgrade to play the new games, from where I’m sitting the glass is half-full and all the games I already own work better and look nicer than before.

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The staggard releasing gives time and space to grow into one's own, as opposed to choosing a side. That was the difference I was considering.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto