The Nintendo Switch 2 has been delayed to 2025, according to reports

switch-2.jpg

The Nintendo Switch has had a dominant life as a hybrid console-handheld, enjoying success since its launch in 2017. However, late last year heard some rumblings that Nintendo was preparing to move onward to a successor to the Nintendo Switch. According to Video Games Chronicle, Eurogamer, and other insider sources, development kits for a "Switch 2" had already been sent out to third-party devs, and rumors were claiming that the system would launch sometime in 2024.

Now, things have changed. While Nintendo was planning to launch the Switch 2 around late 2024, those same insider sources claim that due to some internal delays, the next-gen Nintendo console is targeting a Q1 2025 launch--similar to the original Switch, which launched in March 2017. VGC's sources state that the Switch 2 still plans on being a hybrid system, offering portable functionality, while Eurogamer corroborates VGC's statements, while additionally adding that the reasoning is so that the Switch 2 features as many launch titles as possible.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My pet theory

It was delayed because mig switch carts work on the switch 2 prototypes, and they are taking time to implement a more secure game loading system

Watch PS7 and Xbox A/B get released before switch 2
Sincerely hope they call it Xbox 2

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At the rate the Switch continues to sell, I get it. I mean I want the Switch 2 now, but sales are still so strong in a year that looks to be weak in competition for exciting new games as it is, why not just coast for a year, at the rate things are going the Switch will be the highest selling total units of a gaming system of all time within the next year or so.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do we need another model when the Switch OG, Lite and OLED is about enough? Guess thirsty fanboys want anything these days. :glare:
Switch
Switch 2.0 (Better Battery)
Switch OLED
Switch Lite

Man, that's way too many as it is. I guess they could release one called "Switch Mini" in that they'd somehow make it to the size of a GBA/3DS.

• Sad
Reactions: Mike_77712

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My pet theory

It was delayed because mig switch carts work on the switch 2 prototypes, and they are taking time to implement a more secure game loading system

Sincerely hope they call it Xbox 2
Xbox is from Microsoft
so, the next one should be XBox 5

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Why do we need another model when the Switch OG, Lite and OLED is about enough? Guess thirsty fanboys want anything these days. :glare:
Mostly because no third-party dev wants to bother porting to a system with only 4GB of RAM. Nintendo themselves could probably make due with 512MB.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto