[UPDATE] Rumor: "upgraded" Nintendo Switch to launch early next year

Nintendo_Switch_Logo.png

Such rumors have made the news every so often: Nintendo plans a new Switch model. Back in 2019, The Wall Street Journal reported that Nintendo was working on two Switch models: one with enhanced features targeted at avid gamers and the other towards more casual gamers. Later that year, we saw the launch of the Switch Lite but we have yet to see the "enhanced" version. Earlier this year Nintendo said that it has no plans for a new Switch model in 2020. So maybe they have plans for one in 2021? That might be the case according to a new report from Taiwanese newspaper, United Daily News.

According to translations from Resetera and Google translation of the news source, the new Switch model will begin production in Q4 2020, with an expected launch for Q1 2021. The biggest changes to the upgraded model will include improved 'interactivity' and display quality. United Daily News cites its source as numerous hardware manufacturers that work on parts for current Switch models. But as always, take these news with a pinch of salt.

Would you like to see an upgraded Switch model akin to the DSi? Or would you rather have Nintendo's new console compete directly to the PS5 and Xbox Series X?

[UPDATE]

A new report from Bloomberg also claims that Nintendo plans "an upgraded model of its Switch console next year" that will release along with "a lineup of new games".

The report notes that while specifications haven't been finalized, Nintendo is looking to include "more computing power and 4K high-definition graphics" in this upgraded model.

Bloomberg claims its sources are people briefed on Nintendo's strategy but asked not to be identified as it’s private, but its news seems to corroborate that made by United Daily News earlier.

:arrow: SOURCE
:arrow: UPDATE SOURCE

Rafciu

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Im still hoping this rumor is true. This will be my buy for 2021, for now i decided wait for slim version of ps5/xsx. Most of the time im playing portably on my smartphone (citra,dolhpin etc) so switch is pick for me. The problem with this console is its price and price for games itself. Even on sales like black friday it's hard to get this console cheeper. In Poland Switch cost more than one X... But im tired of waiting for sale so i decided to buy one in near future.

willfr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think this is the Switch with the IGZO display and 10nm RAM hexkyz mentioned last year

Reactions: susi91

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most likely to AAA game devs, not to the devs of a small studio who would spill the beans to anyone they know
All devs, AAA and Indie, use the same developer portal.

Also worth noting developer updater tools, firmwares and all that stuff do not fully support any new hardware. And devs have not been told anything in that regard either

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,

willfr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's some kind of confusion there, obviously even a Switch Pro could not possibly render games at 4K. It might have 4K output though. I assume it's just Mariko but higher clocked. I'm getting it day 1 because I'm sure it'll render BotW at 1080p. 900p upscaled to 1080p is so ugly and blurry, it makes games look worse than they actually are.

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All devs, AAA and Indie, use the same developer portal.

Also worth noting developer updater tools, firmwares and all that stuff do not fully support any new hardware. And devs have not been told anything in that regard either
I'd imagine since it's new hardware everything is being done in private to certain devs.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
i'd die on the inside if they did this to be honest

But you know they would, and Nintendo bootlickers will step in line to not allow you to criticize their greedy decisions. Hell, there are some comments I've seen (not here) that are justifying them removing Super Mario 3D All-Stars digitally in a few months after release despite it being a dick move.

Last edited by stanleyopar2000,
Reactions: haxan

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nvidia could have something new and unannounced up its sleeve with its access to smaller nodes than before. The switch's maxwell chips are 16nm in the newer mariko chips (20nm from the original). Maxwell is pretty old, yes? I wonder if a several generation new design could bring about something better...while retaining compatibility? Orin is probably too far off and would be too pricey. So maybe Xavier? Or even just the X2? Are Orin and Xavier on smaller nm? I'm a bit out of the loop as far as the relevancy of these chips.

Last edited by osaka35,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-